What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Cowboys

It is time to let GI go.

Our recruitment, retention and development is all suspect too.

2012-14 are the past. Top clubs don't rest on their laurels, resist sentiment and IF they go stale, set about rectifying the situation. Souths won't make the 8 this year.

Rsag85

Bench
It is time to let GI go.

Our recruitment, retention and development is all suspect too.

2012-14 are the past. Top clubs don't rest on their laurels, resist sentiment and IF they go stale, set about rectifying the situation. Souths won't make the 8 this year.

I think there is a bigger problem at Souths at the moment

doyen

Bench
chamomile, and that's not a bad idea shads! :cool:

I had camomile for the first time in ages last night to enhance sleep but I still couldn't.

The nightmare was too deep-seated so I spent the night tossing & turning!!

Gray has surprised me;he looks fitter,quicker,tougher & more skilful than I thought he could ever be.

I believe he's played a lot of centre over the years so he shouldn't be too out of place there. I'd fast-track him there & try Oldfield.

Auva'a is poor at present,awful--I've been a Goodwin fan but we have to think a bit of our future so we should be looking for a replacement for him;even right now!!

Carter is one of our best players so he must be in the starting line-up;he's a real goer;fit,tough & skilful--but he must be persevered with in all games & not sat in the naughty corner if his enthusiasm brings a mistake or two.

Tyrrell's been a good servant but--Geezz!!!!

I've had a problem with the coach's blueprint for yonks.
We could be down 30 nil & he'd still plug away with the same old plan.
It was plainly obvious last night.

When you're down a long way against a team like the Cowboys you need to try a few creative things;take some chances, in the hope of getting back into the game!!

handyman2190

Bench

Well so do I, what do you think it is apart from the recruitment problem, we have offered good money to good players and been knocked back , all we seem to buy are reserve graders hoping they will step up,GI is it worth paying 900 odd and maybe more next contract for someone on one knee, he is a shadow and all are tackling his knee trying to get him out of the game, tyrell well his useby is finished turner always getting head knocks knee chhevks etc etc maybe a bench plsyer but not a starter we have big probs and yes no top 8 this year

Clubs don't lose their high performance boss seven weeks either.

I reckon we have salary cap issues.

And we let talent go over the past few seasons. Losing Peats, Roberts, Api, Walker, Teo, Mansour.

Luke left. And why did Sammy really leave the first time?

How did we look so sharp in rounds one and two -albeit weak opposition- and turn to absolute shite?

souths_pride

Juniors
I had camomile for the first time in ages last night to enhance sleep but I still couldn't.

The nightmare was too deep-seated so I spent the night tossing & turning!!

Gray has surprised me;he looks fitter,quicker,tougher & more skilful than I thought he could ever be.

I believe he's played a lot of centre over the years so he shouldn't be too out of place there. I'd fast-track him there & try Oldfield.

Auva'a is poor at present,awful--I've been a Goodwin fan but we have to think a bit of our future so we should be looking for a replacement for him;even right now!!

Carter is one of our best players so he must be in the starting line-up;he's a real goer;fit,tough & skilful--but he must be persevered with in all games & not sat in the naughty corner if his enthusiasm brings a mistake or two.

Tyrrell's been a good servant but--Geezz!!!!

I've had a problem with the coach's blueprint for yonks.
We could be down 30 nil & he'd still plug away with the same old plan.
It was plainly obvious last night.

When you're down a long way against a team like the Cowboys you need to try a few creative things;take some chances, in the hope of getting back into the game!!
The reason we conceded so many tries last night was not primarily down to our outside backs. It is extremely hard to reorganise when your defensive line is shot to bits after conceding a line break - that is where you should be looking to resolve our problems.

I agree with what you say about Paul Carter. What astounds me is that a few weeks ago, after the Bulldogs performance, everyone was calling for his head saying he was hopeless, not up to standard and to be dropped to reserve grade. Now everyone seems to love him; what gives?

Auva'a was poor tonight. I did think he made a few poor reads in defence and seemed to drop the ball an awful lot. I wouldn't be moving Aaron Gray into the centres though to cover him; he has cemented his wing spot and should stay there. I would maybe consider playing Cody at centre or playing Bryson Goodwin there when Alex Johnston is fit. Also, how is Dane Nielson going in reserve grade. Surely, someone who played origin not too long ago could do a job for us. If he is not up to first grade standard then why was he signed?

Maguire should have been released at the end of last season.

Harsh but fair.

The game has changed, Souths have not.

Who are the potential new coaches? Just for fun, would love to see Walker bros but fairly sure Rusty fked them off when he took over in 06 so doubt we'd see them at Souths. Need a young hungry coach. Not a retread.

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
The reason we conceded so many tries last night was not primarily down to our outside backs. It is extremely hard to reorganise when your defensive line is shot to bits after conceding a line break - that is where you should be looking to resolve our problems.

I agree with what you say about Paul Carter. What astounds me is that a few weeks ago, after the Bulldogs performance, everyone was calling for his head saying he was hopeless, not up to standard and to be dropped to reserve grade. Now everyone seems to love him; what gives?

Auva'a was poor tonight. I did think he made a few poor reads in defence and seemed to drop the ball an awful lot. I wouldn't be moving Aaron Gray into the centres though to cover him; he has cemented his wing spot and should stay there. I would maybe consider playing Cody at centre or playing Bryson Goodwin there when Alex Johnston is fit. Also, how is Dane Nielson going in reserve grade. Surely, someone who played origin not too long ago could do a job for us. If he is not up to first grade standard then why was he signed?

I'd consider Cody for centre---he is very quick;is prepared to take on the line;not small at 90 kgs & has great hands--why not!!

souths_pride

Juniors
Maguire should have been released at the end of last season.

Harsh but fair.

The game has changed, Souths have not.

Who are the potential new coaches? Just for fun, would love to see Walker bros but fairly sure Rusty fked them off when he took over in 06 so doubt we'd see them at Souths. Need a young hungry coach. Not a retread.
I wouldn't have sacked Maguire at the end of last season but I do wonder at what point do we draw the line and start asking questions of the coach? A bigger question is who do we get to replace him? I don't think that the Souths job is the sort of gig for a rookie coach. The Walker brothers are meant to be the next big thing in rugby league coaching, although some remain unconvinced given that the Ipswich Jets are currently sitting 10th in the Queensland Cup. Another big deterrent is that we have to pay for contracts for the both of them as they have openly stated they come as a duo.
I'd consider Cody for centre---he is very quick;is prepared to take on the line;not small at 90 kgs & has great hands--why not!!
I think he'd look a lot more threatening with the ball in his hands than Auva'a.

The Walker bros aren't a serious option.

Kevin Walters?

I'll have to look around. Not much chop me saying change the coach without giving options.

souths_pride

Juniors
The Walker bros aren't a serious option.

Kevin Walters?

I'll have to look around. Not much chop me saying change the coach without giving options.
Kevin Walter is a rookie coach and has just taken over the Queensland job. There is also something about him that makes me think he doesn't have a clue what he is doing. Another name that springs to mind is Geoff Toovey but I'm not too sure whether he would consider coaching another NRL team. Tim Sheens is another option but his record with the Wests Tigers is less than flattering. I also think the way he coaches isn't synonymous with the players we currently have; his style is based on light, mobile forwards so I'm not sure how he'd cope with the Burgess brothers.

Curns13

Juniors
I wouldn't have sacked Maguire at the end of last season but I do wonder at what point do we draw the line and start asking questions of the coach? A bigger question is who do we get to replace him? I don't think that the Souths job is the sort of gig for a rookie coach. The Walker brothers are meant to be the next big thing in rugby league coaching, although some remain unconvinced given that the Ipswich Jets are currently sitting 10th in the Queensland Cup. Another big deterrent is that we have to pay for contracts for the both of them as they have openly stated they come as a duo.

I think he'd look a lot more threatening with the ball in his hands than Auva'a.

I'm not saying we should hire the Walkers, but Ipswich is doing poorly because they lost half of their team to NRL contracts. They didn't suddenly lose their ability to coach.

souths_pride

Juniors
I'm not saying we should hire the Walkers, but Ipswich is doing poorly because they lost half of their team to NRL contracts. They didn't suddenly lose their ability to coach.
I don't follow the Queensland Cup that closely so I'll take your word for it. The point you make about the Walker brother not losing their ability to coach is an interesting one - the same could be said for Michael Maguire.

CAFPOW

Juniors
I don't follow the Queensland Cup that closely so I'll take your word for it. The point you make about the Walker brother not losing their ability to coach is an interesting one - the same could be said for Michael Maguire.

Curns13 is right. Broncos, Sea Eagles, Tigpies and Sharks took half of their roster.

I think we missed out on Matt Parcell from the Jets. I believe his game is similar
to Cameron Smith than McInnnes. The only thing McInnes and Cameron Smith
have in common is their name and their bum chin.

Latest posts