What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Vs Knights

panthersam

Juniors
I’m assuming Momo’s replacement will be a straight swap with someone in NSW Cup or worst case scenario he plays Tyrone May at right centre (I really hope this isn’t the case).

I doubt he will be moving around multiple positions, doesn’t seem like Ivan’s style.

betcats

Referee
Staines had two knock ons taking tough runs in the second half. I think he is going to be a superstar fullback but I don’t think we need to put him that under that pressure this early in his career.

I watched a replay and critta definitely had a good game besides that missed tackle. He showed massive improvement getting to and cleaning up a few tough low kicks and he created some genuine chances breaking tackles and offloading the ball. 75 post contact metres, 230 odd total. He will very likely be the fullback until Dylan is back. His work in attack when we have the ball is great to, he is always moving and trailing the play or running lines as part of a set move.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
Staines had two knock ons taking tough runs in the second half. I think he is going to be a superstar fullback but I don’t think we need to put him that under that pressure this early in his career.

I watched ya replay and critta definitely had a good game besides that missed tackle. He showed massive improvement getting to and cleaning up a few tough low kicks and he created some genuine chances breaking tackles and offloading the ball. 75 post contact metres, 230 odd total. He will very likely be the fullback until Dylan is back. His work in attack when we have the ball is great to, he is always moving and trailing the play or running lines as part of a set move.

To be fair one of Staines drops he landed on his head.

betcats

Referee
To be fair one of Staines drops he landed on his head.

He got knocked off his feet mate. I am not knocking him he is brave and he runs hard on those hitups but he is tiny. A committed team like the broncos were on Thursday would be looking to kick early and hammer him like that as much as possible I think. Imagine him trying to do kick returns in the 70th minute exhausted after being peppered all game and having to do all the extra running and work a fb does.

He will be a superstar but he just needs time to keep filling out right now and getting experience.

Smug Panther

First Grade
He got knocked off his feet mate. I am not knocking him he is brave and he runs hard on those hitups but he is tiny. A committed team like the broncos were on Thursday would be looking to kick early and hammer him like that as much as possible I think. Imagine him trying to do kick returns in the 70th minute exhausted after being peppered all game and having to do all the extra running and work a fb does.

He will be a superstar but he just needs time to keep filling out right now and getting experience.
Agree but it's been a wasted opportunity to see him back there. Doesn't have to be full games just 10 mins here and there.

WestyLife

First Grade

I agree he needs to fill out and toughen over the next few seasons. I've never criticised him being at wing for a few years. That hit could happen to anyone though and I agree with this>
Agree but it's been a wasted opportunity to see him back there. Doesn't have to be full games just 10 mins here and there.

betcats

Referee

I am super keen to see what he can do at fullback when we have momentum and good position, his speed and skill and vision would be lethal in those positions I think, we’ve tried to put him in those positions a bit.

As far as the defensive part of playing fullback, positioning and fielding kicks etc I’m sure he can be great at all that he’s always been a fullback. It’s just the physical aspect that worries me a bit for now if he was playing a game at fullback. Confidence is huge for players, if it goes away it can go badly quickly especially at fullback.

Crashtest

Juniors

I watched a replay and critta definitely had a good game besides that missed tackle. He showed massive improvement getting to and cleaning up a few tough low kicks and he created some genuine chances breaking tackles and offloading the ball. 75 post contact metres, 230 odd total. He will very likely be the fullback until Dylan is back. His work in attack when we have the ball is great to, he is always moving and trailing the play or running lines as part of a set move.

i haven’t watched a replay yet, but that was my impression of Crichton from watching it the first time. So good to have that confirmed from someone that has watched it again

All the hate on Crichton for somebody that has only played three games at fullback seems way over the top.

I think he has already shown in only 3 games that he has far more potential as an attacking threat at fullback than Edwards.

betcats

Referee
I agree he needs to fill out and toughen over the next few seasons. I've never criticised him being at wing for a few years. That hit could happen to anyone though and I agree with this>

Yep, a little bit more weight and a little bit more strength over the next 12 months will make a big difference for him handling those hard tackles, he’s running into multiple forwards at times the physics is really stacked against him.

Smug Panther

First Grade
i haven’t watched a replay yet, but that was my impression of Crichton from watching it the first time. So good to have that confirmed from someone that has watched it again

All the hate on Crichton for somebody that has only played three games at fullback seems way over the top.

I think he has already shown in only 3 games that he has far more potential as an attacking threat at fullback than Edwards.
Issue for me is that Critter is now on rep fullback money

betcats

Referee

Yeah he looked dangerous a few times, ran straight over deardon at one point which was nice, I wouldn’t even say he is out of form anymore he’s just playing a hard position.

When he runs a decoy in our set plays and shifts out wide he attracts a lot more attention than Dylan does just cause of his size, defenders sag towards more than they would Dylan I think. Bit of a mini kikau effect on his decoy runs.

WestyLife

First Grade
Yep, a little bit more weight and a little bit more strength over the next 12 months will make a big difference for him handling those hard tackles, he’s running into multiple forwards at times the physics is really stacked against him.
Which funny is the opposite side to the coin as Crichton. He's bulked up and is actually pretty strong now and seems to not realise it. Someone said online over the weekend he was a small kid and had a growth spurt so maybe someone needs to remind him of his superior athleticism because he is very much like Latrell Mitchell in that he's a back that can run over guys or abuse a half gap. did it once at the end which shows it's in there.

betcats

Referee
Which funny is the opposite side to the coin as Crichton. He's bulked up and is actually pretty strong now and seems to not realise it. Someone said online over the weekend he was a small kid and had a growth spurt so maybe someone needs to remind him of his superior athleticism because he is very much like Latrell Mitchell in that he's a back that can run over guys or abuse a half gap. did it once at the end which shows it's in there.

75 post contact metres mate that is pretty good, none of those were easy metres except for after he went over deardon. I think he is going ok physically, definitely showing a lot of improvement overall from his start to the year.

WestyLife

First Grade
75 post contact metres mate that is pretty good, none of those were easy metres except for after he went over deardon. I think he is going ok physically, definitely showing a lot of improvement overall from his start to the year.
He definitely goes softly in to the defence with that awkward little shimmy/step thing he does. I'm talking about backing himself to really dominate the defense like that last run. He needs to balance between the two.

Crashtest

Juniors
Issue for me is that Critter is now on rep fullback money

But it’s not his fault though what the club valued him at in order to keep him. They obviously signed him on that money based on the potential they think he has, rather than expecting a complete rep player performance from a young player in his second season.

betcats

Referee
He definitely goes softly in to the defence with that awkward little shimmy/step thing he does. I'm talking about backing himself to really dominate the defense like that last run. He needs to balance between the two.

I think that his just his style, no fullback just runs hard every time. You are talking about him as if he doesn’t break tackles or use his size but he has been doing that it was pretty clear in that game I think. A couple of slower kick returns don’t change the fact he broke 5 tackles and ran for 75 post contact metres in a game we kind of lost the physical battle for large parts. Only bizza had more post contact metres or tackle breaks on Thursday.

Crashtest

Juniors

He is learning as he goes though. With more games played, he will develop his skills and work out what style works best for him

WestyLife

First Grade
But it’s not his fault though what the club valued him at in order to keep him. They obviously signed him on that money based on the potential they think he has, rather than expecting a complete rep player performance from a young player in his second season.
He decided he was worth more than originally agreed to so it is on him how much he's being paid.

I think that his just his style, no fullback just runs hard every time. You are talking about him as if he doesn’t break tackles or use his size but he has been doing that it was pretty clear in that game I think. A couple of slower kick returns don’t change the fact he broke 5 tackles and ran for 75 post contact metres in a game we kind of lost the physical battle for large parts. Only bizza had more post contact metres or tackle breaks on Thursday.
Of course they don't which is why I said it's about balance. He can't crash into the defence every time or he'd break himself over a game.