What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Roosters

The Damo

Juniors
The only problem with the Mitchell positional change is that Manu comes back into the side at centre.
One of the best in the comp and will terrorize our centre pairing.
While everyone is worrying about Mitchell, Manu and others will be creating major challenges.
Their forwards have been strengthened by the return of Friend and Taukeiaho but especially Radley moving back to lock.
At least Manu is getting marked by our stronger defensive edge of Sims, Lafai and JP. hopefully Mitchell stays at 5/8 so it’s Aubusson running at Aitken. He’s a good solid player but nowhere near as dangerous.

getsmarty

Immortal
Lafai urges Samoa to lock in Pereira before Kiwis swoop
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 24 Apr 2019, 07:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Dragons centre Tim Lafai hopes to continue his combination with left edge partner Jordan Pereira in the Samoa team for June’s Pacific Test against Papua New Guinea at Leichhardt Oval.

Pereira, who was born in New Zealand but also qualifies for Samoa through his father and England through his mother, has yet to decide which country to align himself with but Lafai urged Samoa to make the first call on him.

“It’s nice to have a fellow Samoan on my wing,” Lafai said.

“I think he is definitely a frontrunner for that wing position and if he keeps up his form I think he should get that spot.

“He has been one of the best wingers in the game this season and he has been one of our best backs in getting us forward and getting us out of the corner with yardage. His work rate is high and it is a credit to him for the hard work he has put in.”

Despite not making his NRL debut until Round 19 last season, Pereira has enjoyed a rapid rise and he is now St George Illawarra’s most established winger.

The 26-year-old, who recently re-signed until the end of the 2021 season, has scored five tries in the opening six rounds and is averaging 148.6 running metres per match.

“Jordy has worked really hard at finishing tries. He has had some brilliant ones this year,” Lafai said.

Having only taken up league when he moved from Wellington to Perth in 2014, Pereira was recruited by Mackay Cutters before joining the Dragons midway through the 2017 season.

He says he rarely watches NRL matches.

Asked who he would be playing opposite in Thursday’s ANZAC Day clash with Sydney Roosters at the SCG, Pereira said: “I know last year it was Blake Ferguson but he has moved on. I don’t watch football so I will wait until we do our homework and go from there”.

Instead, he prefers to spend his time away from training and playing at the beach or on bushwalks with fiancée, Sarah Orange.

“We obviously don’t get much time with each other so if we just sit there watching footy it is not going to be good,” Pereira said.

“Normally I am trying to recover and we live pretty close to the beach or we will go on a bushwalk and try to find a local swimming hole, there are heaps around the Illawarra area.

“It is kind of footy related because obviously my body is in pain so I am trying to recover at the same time but we just go around it from a therapeutic angle rather than just sitting there watching more footy or doing more homework.”

However, Pereira is looking forward to playing in the traditional ANZAC Day clash between the Dragons and the Roosters for the first time and was anticipating a finals-type atmosphere at the SCG.

“To be a part of something that obviously means so much to where I am from in New Zealand and also here adds that special element to it,” he said.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/24/lafai-urges-samoa-to-lock-in-pereira-before-kiwis-swoop/

getsmarty

Immortal
Time for Mary to make a big change
Star youngster Zac Lomax deserves a starting spot, or at least more game time amid the Dragons’ goal kicking struggles.

Ed Chisholm

CONTRIBUTOR
April 24, 2019 - 9:20 am

https://static.nospam21.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/GettyImages-919205260-696x464.jpg?x68390
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 17: Head Coach of the Dragons Paul McGregor looks on during the NRL trial match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and Hull at ANZ Stadium on February 17, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images)

A side on a four-game winning streak sitting in the top six is one you wouldn’t tend to change, however Dragons coach Paul McGregor must make a crucial call ahead of a huge Anzac Day test against the league’s top side in the Roosters.

With first choice kicker and captain Gareth Widdop sidelined until at least the finals, the Red V’s kicking duties have fallen to Tim Lafai, whose two games in charge with the tee have resulted in some disastrous kicking which almost cost the side twice.

Luckily for McGregor there’s a quick and easy fix, and he’s already in the starting 17.

Having stepped up for the side in crucial periods of a game in his short NRL career already, the Dragons desperately need star youngster Zac Lomax on the field for as long as possible.

Just seven months ago, Lomax was handed the responsibility of taking a penalty kick in the Dragons’ semi-final against the Rabbitohs which would put the side ahead with only minutes on the clock. The Temora juniour stood over the ball like he could’ve kicked it with his eyes closed and smashed the Steeden through the sticks.

It’s this steal and confidence that must be thrust upon the side in next week’s Anzac Day, in light of the club’s goal kicking conundrum.

Beyond Lomax’s ice cool goal kicking ability he is an out-and-out brilliant player, who in his short NRL career has already proven his freakish ability. Dubbed ‘the gifted one’ by NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler, Lomax is a big body with electric agility and an eye for big plays.

In a game which is almost always won by a matter of points, the Dragons can’t afford to get the small things wrong on Anzac Day against the Roosters.

And with that, Mary has a big decision to make: give Lomax bigger minutes off the bench, or replace one of his current starting 13 with Lomax?

Currently playing in Lomax’s preferred positions of fullback and center are Matt Dufty, Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai, all of whom McGregor is unlikely to move on.

Which means if Lomax comes into the 13, rookie Fijian winger Mikaele Ravalawa seems the most likely to be moved. Whilst he scored the try that won his side the game against Manly, and has shown improvements in his combination with inside centre Euan Aitken, Ravalawa’s defense has still proven to be shakey and he has become a target for high kicks after a number of drops.

https://www.nospam21.com/time-for-mary-to-make-a-big-change-43219/

possm

Coach
At least Manu is getting marked by our stronger defensive edge of Sims, Lafai and JP. hopefully Mitchell stays at 5/8 so it’s Aubusson running at Aitken. He’s a good solid player but nowhere near as dangerous.
Mitchell will run at Aitken and instead of marking his man, Aitken will get involved in the tackle that Frizell already has in control and then the ball to Aubusson and Rav has the centre and winger to contend with.

Dufty no where to be found, he is protecting the middle of the post just in case there is a kick towards the posts.

kit66

Bench
Mitchell will run at Aitken and instead of marking his man, Aitken will get involved in the tackle that Frizell already has in control and then the ball to Aubusson and Rav has the centre and winger to contend with.

Dufty no where to be found, he is protecting the middle of the post just in case there is a kick towards the posts.

Way to talk us up possm. Our defence is much improved these past few weeks and Dufty is still settling back in with our new 5/8. Mitchell will wear the No6 jersey and be put under more pressure than usual by our defence as well as having to make a lot more tackles and we know he gets rattled easily, makes errors and gives away stupid penalties. We play a lot better on a sunny afternoon than we do at night, I think we'll be a lot more competitive than most people think.

Glenn012

Juniors
In our last match - against Manly - our forwards did get on top and our halves did their job but still our outside backs were largely ineffective and clunky in attack.

I'm afraid more of the same against Easts. We need the rub of the green and more than our share of the 50/50 calls to win.

No matter how bad Aitken and Rav play, Mary has shown us is stubbon mindset and will not bring about change even if we lose badly.
possm, I think you are usually spot on but I can't understand your hate for Ravalawa at all. Aitken has been pretty good as well. It's just that we need a goal kicker and Lomax seems better than Aitken already.
As for Ravalawa, what more does he have to do to win you over? He made a few mistakes in early rounds but as far as I can remember, none over the last few weeks. As opposed to the other winger who made a few very bad errors last game. On top of making no mistakes over the last few weeks, he runs hard and makes good metres. He isn't another Raradra but he isn't another ..... (what was the name of that Fiji winger we had a few years ago?) either.

Outside backs were poor last game. Manly had a game plan to rush up in defence so it resulted in not much ball for the outside backs. Aitken in particular should have gone looking for the ball more. We have a coach who got half a game plan right. Really good for him! Too keep kicking in behind and it paid off in the end but a good coach would have done that and told the outside to get deeper so there were options both ways.

Glenn012

Juniors
Way to talk us up possm. Our defence is much improved these past few weeks and Dufty is still settling back in with our new 5/8. Mitchell will wear the No6 jersey and be put under more pressure than usual by our defence as well as having to make a lot more tackles and we know he gets rattled easily, makes errors and gives away stupid penalties. We play a lot better on a sunny afternoon than we do at night, I think we'll be a lot more competitive than most people think.
But I like the way Mitchell brings the aggression. Sims does it for us but other than than, sometimes it seems our guys are too mild-mannered.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Star youngster Zac Lomax deserves a starting spot, or at least more game time amid the Dragons’ goal kicking struggles.

Ed Chisholm

CONTRIBUTOR

https://static.nospam21.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/GettyImages-919205260-696x464.jpg?x68390
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 17: Head Coach of the Dragons Paul McGregor looks on during the NRL trial match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and Hull at ANZ Stadium on February 17, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images)

A side on a four-game winning streak sitting in the top six is one you wouldn’t tend to change, however Dragons coach Paul McGregor must make a crucial call ahead of a huge Anzac Day test against the league’s top side in the Roosters.

With first choice kicker and captain Gareth Widdop sidelined until at least the finals, the Red V’s kicking duties have fallen to Tim Lafai, whose two games in charge with the tee have resulted in some disastrous kicking which almost cost the side twice.

Luckily for McGregor there’s a quick and easy fix, and he’s already in the starting 17.

Having stepped up for the side in crucial periods of a game in his short NRL career already, the Dragons desperately need star youngster Zac Lomax on the field for as long as possible.

Just seven months ago, Lomax was handed the responsibility of taking a penalty kick in the Dragons’ semi-final against the Rabbitohs which would put the side ahead with only minutes on the clock. The Temora juniour stood over the ball like he could’ve kicked it with his eyes closed and smashed the Steeden through the sticks.

It’s this steal and confidence that must be thrust upon the side in next week’s Anzac Day, in light of the club’s goal kicking conundrum.

Beyond Lomax’s ice cool goal kicking ability he is an out-and-out brilliant player, who in his short NRL career has already proven his freakish ability. Dubbed ‘the gifted one’ by NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler, Lomax is a big body with electric agility and an eye for big plays.

In a game which is almost always won by a matter of points, the Dragons can’t afford to get the small things wrong on Anzac Day against the Roosters.

And with that, Mary has a big decision to make: give Lomax bigger minutes off the bench, or replace one of his current starting 13 with Lomax?

Currently playing in Lomax’s preferred positions of fullback and center are Matt Dufty, Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai, all of whom McGregor is unlikely to move on.

Which means if Lomax comes into the 13, rookie Fijian winger Mikaele Ravalawa seems the most likely to be moved. Whilst he scored the try that won his side the game against Manly, and has shown improvements in his combination with inside centre Euan Aitken, Ravalawa’s defense has still proven to be shakey and he has become a target for high kicks after a number of drops.

Ed Chisholm

CONTRIBUTOR

*Shaky.

Yeah, I know....couldn’t help myself.

Seriously though, Ravalawa MUST make way for Lomax if McIdiot is “fair dinks” about winning this important game.

possm

Coach
possm, I think you are usually spot on but I can't understand your hate for Ravalawa at all. Aitken has been pretty good as well. It's just that we need a goal kicker and Lomax seems better than Aitken already.
As for Ravalawa, what more does he have to do to win you over? He made a few mistakes in early rounds but as far as I can remember, none over the last few weeks. As opposed to the other winger who made a few very bad errors last game. On top of making no mistakes over the last few weeks, he runs hard and makes good metres. He isn't another Raradra but he isn't another ..... (what was the name of that Fiji winger we had a few years ago?) either.

Outside backs were poor last game. Manly had a game plan to rush up in defence so it resulted in not much ball for the outside backs. Aitken in particular should have gone looking for the ball more. We have a coach who got half a game plan right. Really good for him! Too keep kicking in behind and it paid off in the end but a good coach would have done that and told the outside to get deeper so there were options both ways.
It is not that I don't like Ravalawa, it is just that he is very raw and so I'm concerned he may just cost us a game or two before too long. It is true that any winger outside Aitken can easily be made to look bad however, in my view I think Ravalawa would benefit greatly under a personal coach giving him extra instruction to sort out his weaknesses. I am still waiting to see the speed Millward was talking about when he signed him, hopefully it will be soon.

While Ravalawa is going through this training, I suggest Pearson be promoted to the NRL side and given a chance to show his stuff.

possm

Coach
*Shaky.

Yeah, I know....couldn’t help myself.

Seriously though, Ravalawa MUST make way for Lomax if McIdiot is “fair dinks” about winning this important game.
If Lomax is selected at 3 and Aitken on the bench, Ravalawa may do alright. I am sure with Lomax inside him, Ravalawa would feel more settled and less nervous. He may even score a long range try of a Lomax pass.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Besides an obvious lack of pace, Ravslawa couldn’t catch a cold as evidenced by his performances.

He is a liability, who will cost the Dragons’ games.

Glenn012

Juniors
It is not that I don't like Ravalawa, it is just that he is very raw and so I'm concerned he may just cost us a game or two before too long. It is true that any winger outside Aitken can easily be made to look bad however, in my view I think Ravalawa would benefit greatly under a personal coach giving him extra instruction to sort out his weaknesses. I am still waiting to see the speed Millward was talking about when he signed him, hopefully it will be soon.

While Ravalawa is going through this training, I suggest Pearson be promoted to the NRL side and given a chance to show his stuff.
What has he done to make you think that way and how do you define "raw"?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If Lomax is selected at 3 and Aitken on the bench, Ravalawa may do alright. I am sure with Lomax inside him, Ravalawa would feel more settled and less nervous. He may even score a long range try of a Lomax pass.

The Dragons’ bench is poor enough without Aitken adding to it. He is either in the starting side or not.

Glenn012

Juniors
Besides an obvious lack of pace, Ravslawa couldn’t catch a cold as evidenced by his performances.

He is a liability, who will cost the Dragons’ games.
This looks like old fashioned slander to me. I haven't see any evidence of "a lack of pace". I saw him use his brain and back off when Hunt made a break because he was in danger of running into pursuing Grubs and likely giving away a penalty. I also saw lots of bombs go his way in that game and saw him take everyone despite the height advantage of opposing Grubs. I didn't catch the last 1/4 of last week but in the first 3/4s can't recall him dropping any bombs. Actually, the way he has been catching them in the last few weeks would make him one of the best wingers in the competition when it comes to taking bombs.

Glenn012

Juniors
Mary insists on having a back on the bench. For me Aitken is the only forward we have that can also pass as a back.
Aitken would be better on the bench than Lomax. Aitken can't pass and has trouble choosing who to tackle but he breaks lots of tackles and doesn't miss many one on one tackles.

Glenn012

Juniors
Mary insists on having a back on the bench. For me Aitken is the only forward we have that can also pass as a back.
One thing is certain. Aitken is on significantly less money but is playing much better than his good friend Jack Bird.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

McGregor’s insistence of a back taking up a bench spot only illustrates his incompetence even further. It would be far more prudent to have a ‘triangle’ utility
This looks like old fashioned slander to me. I haven't see any evidence of "a lack of pace". I saw him use his brain and back off when Hunt made a break because he was in danger of running into pursuing Grubs and likely giving away a penalty. I also saw lots of bombs go his way in that game and saw him take everyone despite the height advantage of opposing Grubs. I didn't catch the last 1/4 of last week but in the first 3/4s can't recall him dropping any bombs. Actually, the way he has been catching them in the last few weeks would make him one of the best wingers in the competition when it comes to taking bombs.

Libel...not slander...if it were discriminatory...which it wasn’t.

Most observers agree with my earlier sentiments.