What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Brisbane, Suncorp, Fri 3/5 7:35pm

Bunnies benefit from a mad Maguire spray
Date
May 5, 2013

Michael Carayannis

Ear bashed: Souths' Sam Burgess in action. Photo: Getty Images
South Sydney players have credited a half-time spray from coach Michael Maguire for their scintillating second-half performance against Brisbane on Friday night.

Maguire was furious after an uncharacteristic first half had his side trailing 12-8. Of more concern for Maguire than the scoring was a staggering 10 errors and a completion rate of just 61 per cent.

English forward Sam Burgess said Maguire didn't shy away from expressing his disappointment.

"He got stuck into us and rightfully so," Burgess said. "He was pissed off to say the least. We reacted and came out better in the second half. We had planned and prepared well all week and we didn't execute in the first half."

Advertisement
Halfback Adam Reynolds also said Maguire was blunt at the break. "He gave us a fair spray, which was well deserved," Reynolds said. "We didn't play to our standards. We needed that little kick up the arse to give us a start in the second half."

Whatever Maguire said deep inside the Suncorp Stadium rooms obviously had a lasting impact. They poured in 18 unanswered second-half points despite making 17 errors for the match, well above their season average of 9.7.

Burgess said the team still had plenty of room for improvement. "It was a tough game the previous week but week-to-week it's tough," Burgess said. "You can't use it as an excuse. We were a little bit flat in the first half. We got back on track in the second half. The team is constantly growing and learning. Madge [Maguire] just wants us to perform to our best ability. We appreciate the feedback he gives us."

After overcoming powerful Manly and Brisbane forward packs in recent weeks, South Sydney will again have another mountain to climb when they host North Queensland on Friday night. The Cowboys boast Australian props Matt Scott and James Tamou plus dynamic in-form back-rower Tariq Sims.

"We can take a lot from that game after winning when we weren't great," Burgess said. "North Queensland will be another good test. I love playing against the best teams, so I'll look forward to that."

While Greg Inglis is the Bunnies' only State of Origin certainty, Reynolds headlines a list of other players in contention which includes halves partner John Sutton and Queenslander Ben Te'o.

Reynolds, who is next in line behind incumbent NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce, said possible Origin selection has not phased him. "It doesn't really bother me," Reynolds said. "I know people are talking but all I can do is go out and play good football for Souths. To be talked about for Origin is a massive achievement and it's an honour to hear your name alongside some of the players. I didn't expect it to come this early in my career but all that goes back to all the hard work we put in at training."

Burgess is confident his side will cope with any extra demands around the representative period. "We're not worried at all," he said. "We'll attack that when it comes. We've got some great kids training and playing well in our second team. We're confident if they need to step up, they will."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...guire-spray-20130504-2izs8.html#ixzz2SMfbXmhy

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
I was at the game, and it was my first chance to see George Burgess in action. I have to say what impressed me most was his mobility and workrate for such a big guy. I think when he first came on he was involved in something like 7 tackles out of the first two sets he faced in defence.

I still think he may want to look at the lines he runs (or perhaps his body position in tackles?), as sometimes he seemed to get stopped fairly easily, whilst others he looked almost unstoppable.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
What about Goodwin had another blinder and now has to be rated amongst one of the top centres in the comp.

thomas10do

Juniors
I was at the game, and it was my first chance to see George Burgess in action. I have to say what impressed me most was his mobility and workrate for such a big guy. I think when he first came on he was involved in something like 7 tackles out of the first two sets he faced in defence.

I still think he may want to look at the lines he runs (or perhaps his body position in tackles?), as sometimes he seemed to get stopped fairly easily, whilst others he looked almost unstoppable.

Lets hope his twin follows suit. Remember not too long ago when George was struggling a bit at the bears.......a bit like Thomas is now.

Zinga

Juniors
What about Goodwin had another blinder and now has to be rated amongst one of the top centres in the comp.

Gee he has been playing well hasnt he?

Great pick up by Madge, I had my douts at the start of the year with him playing centre but he offers more then Farrel did.

Latest posts