What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Broncos

Pommy

Coach
The knock on was absolutely f**king obvious. If somebody touched the ball and doesn't have control of the ball like Milford did before it hits the ground like it did then that is classified as a knock on. The bunker should be able to intervene with EVERYTHING. It's the only way decisions are gonna be correct. They just shouldn't have a useless referee in the bunker. The on field referee should have called for a review of it before awarding it just like last year when we were against the Titans and disallowed our field goal because of obstruction. There's no defending the referees here. They shouldnt see first grade for a while.

But even if they had reviewed it they can't rule on it so it makes no odds.
Plus if the ref didn't think there was an issue why would he review it? The knock on is shit but it's just a fact of life it happens. If your demanding he reviews that everything needs to be reviewed.

I thought the whole point of these statement videos put out by the NRL is to clarify decisions, not use them as a forum for making statements about the quality of refereeing or carrying out agendas. Hence, I'm of the opinion the Archer genuinely thinks Milford didn't knock the ball on and says so in the video. If that had been the only error on the night made by the officials then I could live with it. However, in a game littered with refereeing blunders, missing that knock on was the straw that broke the camels back.

With regards to the bunker not being able to adjudicate on knock ons for field goals, that is simply ridiculous. When reviewing try's we review the entire sequence, so why can't we do it for field goals. Moreover, we were specifically told at the start of the season that the bunker could review all scoring plays. Obviously that is not the case and I really think there needs to be some sort of official clarification as to what the powers of the bunker are!

He says the decision had to be made in real time and he supports the decision.
In real time it wasn't as clear as it seems in the footage we've seen.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Plus if the ref didn't think there was an issue why would he review it? The knock on is shit but it's just a fact of life it happens. If your demanding he reviews that everything needs to be reviewed.

I get what your saying but the whole point of having the bunker review all point scoring plays is to prevent these sorts of instances from happening. It just seems strange that the bunker can determine whether or not the ball has gone between the sticks but can't adjudicate on something as crucial as whether or not the player has knocked the ball on. Imagine if this happened in a finals match, or worse - a Grand Final? Could you imagine how diabolical it would look for the game? I see absolutely no reason why the bunker should not be able to review the entire sequence when a field goal is kicked.

doyen

Bench
If Milford had pushed the ball forward by an obvious 5 to 10 cms than the ref would have a definite case to answer.

But we're talking about 1mm[maybe 2mm] here----the ref was on a hiding to nothing here in live time.

Like all;my thought[live] was "did he catch that or did he drop it."

There was a benefit of the doubt there-----if the ref didn't actually see it as a dropped ball he couldn't call it as one!

Pommy

Coach
I get what your saying but the whole point of having the bunker review all point scoring plays is to prevent these sorts of instances from happening. It just seems strange that the bunker can determine whether or not the ball has gone between the sticks but can't adjudicate on something as crucial as whether or not the player has knocked the ball on. Imagine if this happened in a finals match, or worse - a Grand Final? Could you imagine how diabolical it would look for the game? I see absolutely no reason why the bunker should not be able to review the entire sequence when a field goal is kicked.

I was listening on the radio but was the field goal reviewed at all?
If not it's a pointless argument as the ref just gave it. Plus your assuming even if it's reviewed they would come up with the right call, that seems pretty unlikely.
I want to see less video review not more, stuff like that knock on I can excuse that's just how life is sometimes.
How far do you want them to go back? If there's a forward pass 3 tackles earlier are they going to review that, where's the line?
The try on the other hand was a total f**king shambles though.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The knock on was absolutely f**king obvious. If somebody touched the ball and doesn't have control of the ball like Milford did before it hits the ground like it did then that is classified as a knock on. The bunker should be able to intervene with EVERYTHING. It's the only way decisions are gonna be correct. They just shouldn't have a useless referee in the bunker. The on field referee should have called for a review of it before awarding it just like last year when we were against the Titans and disallowed our field goal because of obstruction. There's no defending the referees here. They shouldnt see first grade for a while.
But they will ref next week.....

Nothing will be done.

They'll fine Madge.

Rabbits20

Immortal
If Milford had pushed the ball forward by an obvious 5 to 10 cms than the ref would have a definite case to answer.

But we're talking about 1mm[maybe 2mm] here----the ref was on a hiding to nothing here in live time.

Like all;my thought[live] was "did he catch that or did he drop it."

There was a benefit of the doubt there-----if the ref didn't actually see it as a dropped ball he couldn't call it as one!
Doyen if AR did that the merkins would call a knock on!!!!!

doyen

Bench

It has been proven beyond doubt now that Milford did NOT knock-on by the Law!!

As long as the player does not lose contact with the ball;& according to video evidence this is the case,it can't be a knock-on!! Apparently,Milford's right hand never leaves the ball & there isn't a gap to signify a knock-on. It was not knocked forward!!

Milford's right hand right arrested the ball & the left was then brought in to support the ball fairly!!
"A player could roll the ball from one end of the field to the other & as long as his hand didn't leave the ball it couldn't be a knock-on!!!"

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach

As long as the player does not lose contact with the ball;& according to video evidence this is the case,it can't be a knock-on!! Apparently,Milford's right hand never leaves the ball & there isn't a gap to signify a knock-on.

His right hand arrested the ball & the left was then brought in to support the ball fairly!!
"A player could roll the ball from one end of the field to the other & as long as his hand didn't leave the ball it couldn't be a knock-on!!!"

I don't disagree not sure why your getting all R20!!!!
It could be a nock on it might not be. At worst it's 50/50 and I can live with that. Archer said he backed the ref and I have no issue with it.
I think it was although as you say the video doesn't prove it is.

southsport

First Grade

As long as the player does not lose contact with the ball;& according to video evidence this is the case,it can't be a knock-on!! Apparently,Milford's right hand never leaves the ball & there isn't a gap to signify a knock-on. It was not knocked forward!!

Milford's right hand right arrested the ball & the left was then brought in to support the ball fairly!!

Where was it proven beyond doubt doyen?

callmack1

Staff member
I don't disagree not sure why your getting all R20!!!!
It could be a nock on it might not be. At worst it's 50/50 and I can live with that. Archer said he backed the ref and I have no issue with it.
I think it was although as you say the video doesn't prove it is.
Either way, we were robbed because of that shitty Moga try ruling. The score should've been 24-18, we should have won and the field goal situation should have never arised. I'm still fuming.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Either way, we were robbed because of that shitty Moga try ruling. The score should've been 24-18, we should have won and the field goal situation should have never arised. I'm still fuming.
Plus the field goal shouldn't have been allowed.

Don't forget the penalty against Sam on half time when he tackled him around the chest!!!!

Souths 24 Broncos 16. I know so in my heart.........

Don't forget all the other dud calls mate. My PM to you tells a story...............

doyen

Bench
Where was it proven beyond doubt doyen?

I'm going by the report by Archer--he admits a mistake was made with the Moga try, but,he says,that their video shows clearly that Milford at all times has his right hand attached to the ball at pickup before he kicked the winning field goal!!!! With a knock-on there must be a gap between hand/s & ball in a forward direction for a knock-on!!

souths_reborn

Juniors
I was listening on the radio but was the field goal reviewed at all?
If not it's a pointless argument as the ref just gave it. Plus your assuming even if it's reviewed they would come up with the right call, that seems pretty unlikely.
I want to see less video review not more, stuff like that knock on I can excuse that's just how life is sometimes.
How far do you want them to go back? If there's a forward pass 3 tackles earlier are they going to review that, where's the line?
The try on the other hand was a total f**king shambles though.
The field goal wasn't reviewed. That part of the reason why a lot of people are frustrated - because they wanted the bunker to review it. Like I said before, we were told at the start of the season that the bunker would be able to review all point scoring plays. I thought that was a smart move because ultimately, it is the point scoring plays that really decide the outcomes of games. As for how far they take it back, that is already set in stone: the bunker is only allowed to review the sequence from the point that the ball is played; that is what should be applied to field goals - the bunker can review everything from the point the ball is played up until the ball sails between the posts. Where I would like to see less of the bunker is in general play i.e. goal line drop outs, foul play etc. Stuff like that I can live with because even if you concede a goal line drop out from a dodgy call its not as if its directly costing you points; you should be good enough to defend it.

souths_reborn

Juniors
I'm going by the report by Archer--he admits a mistake was made with the Moga try, but,he says,that their video shows clearly that Milford at all times has his right hand attached to the ball at pickup before he kicked the winning field goal!!!! With a knock-on there must be a gap between hand/s & ball in a forward direction for a knock-on!!
The video posted by the NRL where Archer reviews the play shows an angle from behind of Milford kicking the field goal, however in my view you don't really get a good look at Milfords hands and the ball. I feel that Archer is trying to cheat us by providing us with obscure evidence. I would have liked Archer to have used the angles provided by Fox Sports because I was watching on there and all the commentators at the time unanimously agreed that it was a knock on.

Also, you definition of a knock doesn't necessarily equate to what I've seen adjudicated on by referees this season. For instance, I've seen a player facing his own in goal line get pulled up for a knock on because he dragged the ball in towards his body to pick it up and at no point did his hands leave the ground. Similarly, I've seen players get pulled up for nudging the ball forward on the ground but at no point did their hands leave the ball. My overall point is that I think the definition of a knock on is very vague and ambiguous and needs clarification. Similarly, I get the feeling that if the referees had seen it then they would have pulled it up based on what I've seen this season.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Well then it looks like they need to completely change the rule because I grew up learning that having 1 hand on the ball especially when it's drifting towards the ground is not "control" of the ball. In fact this would open up a whole new debate where if someone lost control of the ball but guided the ball with their hand to the ground then it's not a knock on? Milford had 0 control of the ball before it touched the ground. That's a knock on all day every day. Archer isn't going to admit he was wrong because the referee's f**ked up big time. It's good to see Milford believe his own lie though. I guess Brisbane players have to deal with the fact that they're all cheaters.

alien

Referee

Who exactly are you quoting there??? If you lose grip of the ball, you have to re-grip it before it touches the ground. Touching the ball with one hand as it's falling doesn't mean it is gripped!

callmack1

Staff member
Who exactly are you quoting there??? If you lose grip of the ball, you have to re-grip it before it touches the ground. Touching the ball with one hand as it's falling doesn't mean it is gripped!
Exactly!