What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Canberra

darkbloom

Juniors
Leaving the current coach out of the equation for a minute, you say we have an underachieving squad. Perhaps you could mount a decent argument to say we overachieved in making four of the last five semi finals.

Panther Daz posted something I have been saying for some time in that we have been developing some really good players thru our junior development systems but at the end of the day no superstars. Until we unearth a couple of Latrell Mitchells or Martin Taupau’s our fortunes probably aren’t going to change and we just need to suck it up.

Two spot on paragraphs.

Just to emphasise the negatives I need to say that Waqa had the worst game I have seen him play for a fair while. I normally feel he can do no wrong but his ball handling and passing have been very ordinary this year and today were terrible.
As I said earlier there was not a single positive in this performance, normally there is some glimmer of hope or potential but I honestly can’t see one this time.

Unfortunately our only glimmer of hope went down with what looks like a long term ankle injury.......

Kilkenny

Coach
Unfortunately our only glimmer of hope went down with what looks like a long term ankle injury.......

The sad thing is our lack of structure is such that when we do go wide to Kikau we almost never get him one on one he is simply a battering ram facing three defenders. God knows how damaging he would be playing for a decent side.

age.s

First Grade
Depressing viewing. I was one who thought we were good without luck last week. This week was atrocious. Refs had nothing to do with it this week, in fact I'd say we had the better of it if anything.

We are just a shithouse football team. No spark, no speed, no creativity, badly organised and oh so very stupid. Just consistently boneheaded and error prone and it seems to be getting worse and worse. Ivan's has been a complete failure thus far.

I haven't read through the thread so sorry if someone's made this point, but where the f**k is that from Tamou every week? You mean to tell me that plodding workhorse hulk of a man has a goose step and turn of pace better than most of our backline? Where the f**k has it been all this time? Great try, but ffs show me more of that Jimmy.

Injuries to key players, possible suspensions and barely a whimper on the field. Just about as bad as a footy game gets.

age.s

First Grade
Panther Daz posted something I have been saying for some time in that we have been developing some really good players thru our junior development systems but at the end of the day no superstars. Until we unearth a couple of Latrell Mitchells or Martin Taupau’s our fortunes probably aren’t going to change and we just need to suck it up.

What would you call Kikau? What would you call the Blake we know and love (not to be mistaken by the doppleganger slug currently playing left center)? RCG was Origin quality just a couple of years ago. I might be a bit biased, but I'd say Yeo was as well. Remember the narrative of how our poorly coached team was having its arse pulled out of the fire by the miraculous talent of these burgeoning stars?

There are players in our squad who have been extremely good players for several years now. They didn't suddenly become bog ordinary overnight.

Cleary has turned them into fat, disorganized plodders with even less discipline and footy brains than the little they previously possessed.

The Realist

Juniors
<SNIP>

There are players in our squad who have been extremely good players for several years now. They didn't suddenly become bog ordinary overnight.

Cleary has turned them into fat, disorganized plodders with even less discipline and footy brains than the little they previously possessed.

So true, but you say that on the Facebook Fan page and you will get either two responses:

1. The Coach wasn't the one on the field doing X, Y & Z or my personal favourite...
2. …..You are not a 'True Fan' if you criticise the team what so ever.

Both brain dead arguments. Sometimes I wonder if the Penrith regional culture is a large contributing factor in our vast underachievement over the last 50 years.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
What would you call Kikau? What would you call the Blake we know and love (not to be mistaken by the doppleganger slug currently playing left center)? RCG was Origin quality just a couple of years ago. I might be a bit biased, but I'd say Yeo was as well. Remember the narrative of how our poorly coached team was having its arse pulled out of the fire by the miraculous talent of these burgeoning stars?

Kikau was not developed by Penrith's system. He was developed in Fiji then played Under 20's footy at Townsville.

He didn't come through any of our pathways whether it be Penrith, Forbes, Bathurst or Dubbo.

RCG is not a superstar. Kilkenny is referring to match winning props who can offload, break tackles and land on their front consistently. RCG does none of that.

Yeo is a solid, dependable and consistent football player, but he is no game breaker.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The sad thing is our lack of structure is such that when we do go wide to Kikau we almost never get him one on one he is simply a battering ram facing three defenders. God knows how damaging he would be playing for a decent side.

Our halves don't consistently go to the line. The shift to Kikau is so obvious. No defenders are engaged, they just slide to Kikau.

kinghippo

Juniors
Our halves don't consistently go to the line. The shift to Kikau is so obvious. No defenders are engaged, they just slide to Kikau.
That’s a good point, I mentioned it yesterday that our attack especially in the 20 just goes from side to side.
Even the off the ball runners don’t use any angles, a dummy back inside or using kikau as a decoy every now and then would make everything a lot less predictable.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
That’s a good point, I mentioned it yesterday that our attack especially in the 20 just goes from side to side.
Even the off the ball runners don’t use any angles, a dummy back inside or using kikau as a decoy every now and then would make everything a lot less predictable.

It is poor coaching. We have no bodies in motion, decoy runners or anything that will attract or engage defenders.

It's a basic side to side shift an Under 10s team could do.

When Cleary passes it his head is turned sideways most of the time. It is obvious what he is going to do. His eyes aren't looking up at the defenders and reacting.

Cleary either passes 5 metres before the defensive line or if they get too close he just runs or submits to the tackle.

Black Magik

Juniors
Slept on it.

Still can’t believe the way they have played this season. They are done. No threat now. We will be that team that everyone will hate because we will snag a win and jeopardise another teams position in the 8.

Sad season.

Panfa

Juniors
1mil halfback couldnt organise a root in a brothel and the bloke next to him mr 32yr old 5/8 should be on the 1st plane to england.

tripster

Juniors
I guess the longer our team flounders for, the more Hook's stocks must be rising, and the prospect that another club will sign him increases?