What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Raiders

mickeylane

Bench
If you're a good coach and you know your heading into an ambush at Bruce Stadium this week what should you be doing? You should be changing things up at training this week especially in defense around the ruck where Canberra is most dangerous.. you should be looking at ways of nullifying Hodgson and a right edge forward right on Wightons hammer all night long (Like Sims would have been) to give him bugger all-time on the ball...then I would be working on the attack to ensure that Dufty plays through the middle all night trailing Merrin, Vaughan and Kerr to pop up a ball once they peek through the other side...I am betting this week one of Dufty's long cut out passes will be intercepted by one of the best interceptors in the business being Jarrod Croker... it's getting a little predictable and I can tell you on top of the tip sheet from Ricky will be to watch out the Dufty's cut out pass and to take a chance on an intercept. If anything Clune should be the one this week delivering the long cut out passes as I'm certain many coaches haven't got a read on him yet due to his bit role so far in the team ..and finally abolish those useless midfield bombs and time to bring back the Widdop short kicks behind the line as Klokstad literally is the deepest standing fullback in the comp so there's plenty of space behind the first line of defence for Dufty or Lomax to regather - I know Norman has a great short kicking game...

I know I wasted 3 minutes typing this shit up as none of it will eventuate but it's literally what has to happen to even be a slight chance of an upset..time to do the unpredictable Mcgregor .

denis preston

First Grade
Cant understand forumites that bags the coach for not persevering with youth but then advocate SAAB being dropped after one game ?? For me Sailor has to come in at 5/8 for Norman. We have to know how he handles it and is worth a resigning , surely ? Or are we going to let him rot on the bench all year and try to renew him on the cheap because other clubs have absolutely no form guide to go by. .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Cant understand forumites that bags the coach for not persevering with youth but then advocate SAAB being dropped after one game ?? For me Sailor has to come in at 5/8 for Norman. We have to know how he handles it and is worth a resigning , surely ? Or are we going to let him rot on the bench all year and try to renew him on the cheap because other clubs have absolutely no form guide to go by. .

I don't think dropping Saab has anything to do with giving him opportunity, it's more around the fact of does he want to be here or not. By all reports he's heading back again to seek a release this week. This is obviously playing on his mind and it showed in his performance on Friday night and I feel him wanting out has significantly more to do with other factors and not just travel to training.

If he commits to the Dragons and his mind is clear on this, then by all means perservere. If he cannot commit then dropping him until he does or goes is the only answer.

Spazer

Juniors
I would be working on the attack to ensure that Dufty plays through the middle all night trailing Merrin, Vaughan and Kerr to pop up a ball once they peek through the other side...I am betting this week one of Dufty's long cut out passes will be intercepted by one of the best interceptors in the business being Jarrod Croker... it's getting a little predictable and I can tell you on top of the tip sheet from Ricky will be to watch out the Dufty's cut out pass and to take a chance on an intercept.

One reason why Dufty's cut out balls to Rav and Lomax have been so successful is because of the new rule changes causing teams to bunch up more in the middle leaving overlaps on the edges. Ricky will definitely be onto that.

It would be interesting to see if Duffs can add a short kicking game to his bag of tricks.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
A bit early maybe, but I would make a few changes to the team for this game.
There is at least one, lets say out of left field inclusion, that I think needs to be made.

My team:

1. Dufty
2. Sailor
3. Aitken
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Clune
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Fuimaono
13. Merrin

14. Hunt
15. Lawrie
16. K. Sims
17. Ford

I'm dropping Norman, simply because he's out of form and not creating much of anything.
Saab, well if his mind is on going elsewhere, well he shouln't be on the park and especially 1st grade.
Sullivan would need to be elevatedcfrom the DS, but we have 2 spots available.

I think team would be creative and offer some speed.

Thoughts?

We may be robbing Peter to pay Paul but I"m of the opinion that Dufty, who played in the halves in his junior days, is probably the best 5/8 in the club- his vision and passing is excellent- as is Clune's. Hunt is not in the same league with vision and passing but has a better kicking game so he needs to start at Hooker in my team with McInnes the Cam Murray style No 13. Agree about Norman with Sailor the new full-back and give Saab another chance on the wing. Sullivan on the bench

This Year?

Immortal
We simply don't have the smarts or the speed to get the ball to the edges in space. The Raiders defence 3 in from either sideline is really poor.

Wighton and Hodgson will have a field day. This will play out pretty much like the game last season.

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
I hope we don't end up playing at Canberra, A. We're supposed to be the home team and B. pretty sure the hoodoo still works there. The selection panel should drop Norman but I bet they won't. Expect the Raiders to bounce back into the winner's circle irrespective of anything we do.
It’s a Canberra home game so break out the tomato jerseys and a 40 point hammering

redv13

Bench
If you're a good coach and you know your heading into an ambush at Bruce Stadium this week what should you be doing? You should be changing things up at training this week especially in defense around the ruck where Canberra is most dangerous.. you should be looking at ways of nullifying Hodgson and a right edge forward right on Wightons hammer all night long (Like Sims would have been) to give him bugger all-time on the ball...then I would be working on the attack to ensure that Dufty plays through the middle all night trailing Merrin, Vaughan and Kerr to pop up a ball once they peek through the other side...I am betting this week one of Dufty's long cut out passes will be intercepted by one of the best interceptors in the business being Jarrod Croker... it's getting a little predictable and I can tell you on top of the tip sheet from Ricky will be to watch out the Dufty's cut out pass and to take a chance on an intercept. If anything Clune should be the one this week delivering the long cut out passes as I'm certain many coaches haven't got a read on him yet due to his bit role so far in the team ..and finally abolish those useless midfield bombs and time to bring back the Widdop short kicks behind the line as Klokstad literally is the deepest standing fullback in the comp so there's plenty of space behind the first line of defence for Dufty or Lomax to regather - I know Norman has a great short kicking game...

I know I wasted 3 minutes typing this shit up as none of it will eventuate but it's literally what has to happen to even be a slight chance of an upset..time to do the unpredictable Mcgregor .
Your comment was finished after the first 5 words.....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Hopefully it’s a Bruce I’ll try to go if I can get tickets. Canberra are due for a win though and it will probably be icy and slippery so not sure about our handling skills. If we play as well as we did vs the Rorters with a few tweaks we can win though.

Dragon David

First Grade
We may be robbing Peter to pay Paul but I"m of the opinion that Dufty, who played in the halves in his junior days, is probably the best 5/8 in the club- his vision and passing is excellent- as is Clune's. Hunt is not in the same league with vision and passing but has a better kicking game so he needs to start at Hooker in my team with McInnes the Cam Murray style No 13. Agree about Norman with Sailor the new full-back and give Saab another chance on the wing. Sullivan on the bench
Worth a try for this year. Nothing to lose as we need to experiment a lot seeing that we will remain in the bottom eight.

BLM01

First Grade
A bit early maybe, but I would make a few changes to the team for this game.
There is at least one, lets say out of left field inclusion, that I think needs to be made.

My team:

1. Dufty
2. Sailor
3. Aitken
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Sullivan
7. Clune
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Fuimaono
13. Merrin

14. Hunt
15. Lawrie
16. K. Sims
17. Ford

I'm dropping Norman, simply because he's out of form and not creating much of anything.
Saab, well if his mind is on going elsewhere, well he shouln't be on the park and especially 1st grade.
Sullivan would need to be elevatedcfrom the DS, but we have 2 spots available.

I think team would be creative and offer some speed.

Thoughts?
I would not be dropping Saab.
Yeh he might have some things going on in the background but Sailor is not a winger and this Saab bashing about his performance is ridiculous for his 1st hit out.
I'd be looking at some of the inside men towards the middle of the field firstly.

jeffdragon

Bench
Raiders will relish being back at home
We are a only a small chance of winning, which will probably evaporate as the game goes on.
Can't remember when the last time I was confident of a win.

RedVDave

First Grade
A smokey suggestion;
Norman @ 7
Sailor @ 6
I get Norman can be frustrating at times but he does do some really good things to his kicking game is better than anyone elses in out squad right now.

RedVDave

First Grade
Clune's done nothing wrong to be dropped. Getting more impressed with him each game.
That's fair but I don't like the idea of our halves combination having 5 first grade games between that could be a recipe for disaster.

Clune is solid but nothing more in my opinion, definitely reliable for now.

Latest posts