What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 v Roosters Anzac Day

Dragon David

First Grade
Well if it is of any solace, Raiders got beaten by 40-0 at their spiritual home on Anzac weekend
Imagine what this forum will be like if that happens to us albeit after last Thursday I have a good idea
In a way, you could say that we got done 42-0, the difference between the Roosters and the Dragons points scored. When you look at it that way, it still looks bloody awful.

BLM01

First Grade
In a way, you could say that we got done 42-0, the difference between the Roosters and the Dragons points scored. When you look at it that way, it still looks bloody awful.
Its was and we were awful from 6-6, prior we were looking OK
But it is common these days with a lot of games the blowouts but I look at both wins and losses
Our wins have been pretty solid for 80 mins this year and see a better style of game developing in both defense and attack in those games but cannot understand the inconsistency week to week..yet except we dont have the depth to make a lot of changes
I just know that about 8 other clubs have had big blowouts against them this year
But we have had 3 already that I call real poor blowouts which is alarming and that trend needs to be minimised asap.

Dragon David

First Grade
But it is common these days with a lot of games the blowouts but I look at both wins and losses
Our wins have been pretty solid for 80 mins this year and see a better style of game developing in both defense and attack in those games but cannot understand the inconsistency week to week..yet except we dont have the depth to make a lot of changes
I just know that about 8 other clubs have had big blowouts against them this year
But we have had 3 already that I call real poor blowouts which is alarming and that trend needs to be minimised asap.
Fully agree with you BLM01. The Sharks completed the run of blow outs this past Anzac weekend of games.

I grant that our wins have been solid and in a way it has many thinking that after those wins, the team would be hard to beat (that is what I want them to be, not easy beats - yes they will lose games but I was hoping that they would be tougher to not cop blow out scores).

Flanno needs to find the answers for the inconsistency of the teams performances from one week to the next as soon as he can. As I say, I expect losses but not with blow out scores which would then give some belief that the club will be better for it for 2025 onwards once Flanno gets a couple of the players that we need to improve what we have done in 2024.

I think the real test of a team is when everything goes wrong for you. Every team in the NRL has good days. Last year's Tigers scored 70 in a game, but they got the spoon. To me, what counts is that you stay tough on your bad days.

to_ddeath

Coach
Is there any point contacting Webb & co to advise of how dishonourable, disgraceful & shameful the Anzac display was?
They should rescind their rights to compete in the yearly clash if they’re not going to do the diggers and general public proud with an uncompetitive effort
I’m still well beyond disgusted at that putrid surrender last Thursday.

justadragon

Bench
Is there any point contacting Webb & co to advise of how dishonourable, disgraceful & shameful the Anzac display was?
They should rescind their rights to compete in the yearly clash if they’re not going to do the diggers and general public proud with an uncompetitive effort
Would fall on deaf ears I'm afraid. That is assuming you would even get a reply, can you imagine how many emails etc he would get every time we get flogged which have been a few so far this season calling for his head, no way he responds to those.

Phantom V

Juniors
H
As far as my ageing senses tell me justa when a team is beaten 60 points to 18, the players themselves have that scoreline embedded in their brain cells for a long time. That scoreline spells "big troubles" for the Dragons.

No matter what Flanno and the others might be saying to the guys, they know that they were utterly thrashed irrespective of any circumstances involving Suli or the ref or some niggley things done by JWH etc. They know themselves that they weren't worth 2 bob on the night.

Getting done say 30-18 by the Roosters wouldn't be such a bad thing but actally getting done 60-18, that is a completely different story.

The next round they come up against Flanno's former club and Flanno has been giving it to the Sharks which in turn will fire up the Sharks even more. The Sharks thrashed the Raiders tonight 40-0 and to keep that club scoreless shows how good their defence is - Fitzy is a defence coach and a good one at that.

If it is an all day of rain down at the Shire, Sloan will be targeted and we know how that ends up.

Frustrating times ahead is what my senses tell me.
Well said DD. Once the opposition puts 60 points on you there’s no excuse that will cut it in my book. We just folded. Imagine if we put in the same performance against the Broncs or Panthers? At some stage Flannigan will have to bite the bullet and give some rookies a run. Interesting times ahead.

Dragon David

First Grade
H

Well said DD. Once the opposition puts 60 points on you there’s no excuse that will cut it in my book. We just folded. Imagine if we put in the same performance against the Broncs or Panthers? At some stage Flannigan will have to bite the bullet and give some rookies a run. Interesting times ahead.
Thanks Phantom V.

It was such a disappointment for fans, members, spectators, TV coverage as far as the Dragons are concerned but extremely delightful of course for the Roosters fans, members, Uncle Nick and Co.

Our players surrendered on Anzac Day without a true fight. No guts, no glory and no medals. Our Dragons diggers would have been so disappointed because of the blow out score. A loss even at 32-16 would have at least made us look a bit credible which would give us some hope for our next few games, but I fear that this big loss trend will be with us throughout the year unfortunately because there is no consistent fight in the buggers Flanno puts on the field.

It is the fight that the players lack. Fight back when the chips are down. Yes you are down a few tries but just never give up and try harder - keep fighting boys.

denis preston

First Grade
You answered your own question in your first 4 words !

sammymills

Juniors
Yep ... i mean the roosters were offside the whole set which should have given us an easy penalty (esp Keary on the last play) but you know ... team was spent.
noticed that. Also in the first half the speed at which the ref was calling roll away was ridiculous.

since77

Juniors
Yep ... i mean the roosters were offside the whole set which should have given us an easy penalty (esp Keary on the last play) but you know ... team was spent.
It's not an excuse for the poor performance at all but the Roosters were either comically offside all game or they've become the quickest squad in the NRL over the off season. They sure were covering those 10 metres pretty damn quickly....Was blatantly obvious but didn't get pinged once.
I bet Trent Big Flushed Face Robinson was ok with the ref getting the interpretation of that wrong all game......

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Thanks Phantom V.

It was such a disappointment for fans, members, spectators, TV coverage as far as the Dragons are concerned but extremely delightful of course for the Roosters fans, members, Uncle Nick and Co.

Our players surrendered on Anzac Day without a true fight. No guts, no glory and no medals. Our Dragons diggers would have been so disappointed because of the blow out score. A loss even at 32-16 would have at least made us look a bit credible which would give us some hope for our next few games, but I fear that this big loss trend will be with us throughout the year unfortunately because there is no consistent fight in the buggers Flanno puts on the field.

It is the fight that the players lack. Fight back when the chips are down. Yes you are down a few tries but just never give up and try harder - keep fighting boys.
Mate its a mystery to me because I was at the Warriors game and they fought their guts out under some pressure at times that night. One week later and they wasn't much left after 20 minutes....in an Anzac Day game!

I know it shouldn't happen to a good side but I still feel the loss of Suli in the first tackle really rocked them. But as I said, a good side can at least put up a fight after disaster strikes.

Mate its a mystery to me because I was at the Warriors game and they fought their guts out under some pressure at times that night. One week later and they wasn't much left after 20 minutes....in an Anzac Day game!

I know it shouldn't happen to a good side but I still feel the loss of Suli in the first tackle really rocked them. But as I said, a good side can at least put up a fight after disaster strikes.
In that Warriors game, we got 4 consecutive yardage penalties (I think we scored of 3 of these) starting at around the 20 minute mark. Certainly took the pressure off.

st.phil

Bench
yeh they should have done better ... but ... the minute Suli went off I said to myself "they'll rack up 40" - turns out I was optimistic. This side has a fragility about them where the world seems to close in when disaster strikes (ie slip ups for free tries vs Newy, RFM dropping a sitter vs NQL or Suli out tackle one vs chooks)

They can be resilient but I think if something dints that in the first 20, it fades. I suppose it's fair weather resilience?

I thought the ref was really tough on us vs Roosters - calling us off the ruck instantly whereas vs NZ game the ref brought us back in range w some piggy back pens. It was a Rooster exhibition game.

Side note - the no back bench coverage situation is disastrous for a team. I think we should have Bird at 14 for that very reason but longer term, the NRL should have an 18th man activated for a cat 1 - it's a ridiculous disadvantage. Or have a soccer esque 6-7 man bench and you can choose to sub in who you want. Can't see the reason why not aside from backward thinking League administrators people focusing on the wrong areas constantly.

Latest posts