What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Souths Discussion + Voting

Danoz Direct

Juniors
Reed cops alot of undeserved flack. He's a ranga and he runs awkwardly. I truly believe some people can't see past that. He is usually a solid defender and sets up a fair few tries. How's Oates going? Being tipped for Origin so Reed can't be doing too badly.

I am just going to say that Oates being tipped for Origin has nothing to do with Reed.

Dazzat

First Grade
I am just going to say that Oates being tipped for Origin has nothing to do with Reed.

Unless you can give me the stats on how has given the last pass for Oates tries, you've got nothing. I can tell you that Reed gave Oates the pass at exactly the right time for him to score on many occasions.

A good centre creates tries for his winger. This is a fact that has been in rugby league for over a century. Just ignore the fact if it makes you feel justified. But you are wrong.

user_nat

Coach
Somewhat surprisingly NRL stats have Reed at 3 assists for the year, same as Roberts. No centres have more than 3.

Snappy

Coach
Joe O had his 'coming of age' game.

Brandy made that comment during the game and I agree. Was great to see him come to life and fire up. Will be a gun in years to come.

Danoz Direct

Juniors
Unless you can give me the stats on how has given the last pass for Oates tries, you've got nothing. I can tell you that Reed gave Oates the pass at exactly the right time for him to score on many occasions.

A good centre creates tries for his winger. This is a fact that has been in rugby league for over a century. Just ignore the fact if it makes you feel justified. But you are wrong.

Do you also count how many tries Reed has bombed for Oates? Definitely more than he has set up that is for sure. It is Milford and Boyd who have been doing all the hard work for Oates tries, with Reed making the simplest of passes that don't really help Oates situation all the much, case in point the try he scored against Souths. All Reed did was catch and pass like anyone can and Oates made that try happen still having a defender on his back.

So what I am saying is that yes Reed may have passed the ball to Oates and then he scored, but the passes made were not anything special and would be expected for any player to make.

Reed doesn't create tries, he just happens to be in the way of the ball getting to Oates.

Dazzat

First Grade
If you're referring to the instance when Reed passed forward to Oates against the Bunnies, I would suggest that was Oates who over-ran the pass - a fact that the commentators themselves (who I would suggest know a thing or two about league) suggested.

I just think there are so-called Broncos fans that will always bag a player, regardless, because that is wha you do. You bag players. You can't resist bagging players. I would say Milford bombed a try or two this season as well, but it depends on your attitude toward a player - what you see and what you don't.

bluefox1968

Juniors
If you're referring to the instance when Reed passed forward to Oates against the Bunnies, I would suggest that was Oates who over-ran the pass - a fact that the commentators themselves (who I would suggest know a thing or two about league) suggested.

I just think there are so-called Broncos fans that will always bag a player, regardless, because that is wha you do. You bag players. You can't resist bagging players. I would say Milford bombed a try or two this season as well, but it depends on your attitude toward a player - what you see and what you don't.

Sorry to barge in on your forum - but I'm wondering if 'finding a scapegoat for a less-than-perfect performance' is a universal thing.

In the Sharks forum, our 'dud player' at the moment is Ricky Leutele... If he gets replaced by Gerard Beale, then the next 'whipping boy' will be Sosaia Feki.

In the real world, we just can't have the perfect team.

So, yes, I agree with you.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

Was that the one where Reed sort of dummied to Oates, ran a bit, then passed? If so Oates needed early ball and Reed bombed it imo.

The problem with Reed is that when he plays well he is really important for the Broncos, but his consistency is not up to NRL standard. That is, there is too many bad games in-between his good games.

In saying that it is not yet time to look elsewhere imo, as we don't have any obvious replacement or re-shuffle that definitely makes us a better team.

But I don't have any problems with fans having a go at Reed in this game, he was dreadful. As long as those same people are able to admit when he plays well.

Danoz Direct

Juniors

Reed bombed at least two try on Friday and that is a fact.

I happen to like Reed he always tries hard and gives his best to the team. When he first came into the NRL he was a gun, he knew when to run and new when to pass, to go with his ever reliable defence.

You have to admit that Reed was atrocious against Souths.

Over the paste couple of years there has been no consistency in his performances (which is probably due to him always player injured and never fully fit) with him having a cracking game one week and then him missing tackles on our line and bombing tries the next. I would be very happy for him to get back to his best form, but I can't see that happening when he is playing injured. So I would personally like him to take time off to get fully fit and then come back fit and firing.

Danoz Direct

Juniors
Was that the one where Reed sort of dummied to Oates, ran a bit, then passed? If so Oates needed early ball and Reed bombed it imo.

The problem with Reed is that when he plays well he is really important for the Broncos, but his consistency is not up to NRL standard. That is, there is too many bad games in-between his good games.

In saying that it is not yet time to look elsewhere imo, as we don't have any obvious replacement or re-shuffle that definitely makes us a better team.

But I don't have any problems with fans having a go at Reed in this game, he was dreadful. As long as those same people are able to admit when he plays well.

I feel exactly the same way.

Dazzat

First Grade

The very essence of a pathetic whinge ... complain, gripe and moan and offer no solution. That's the type of whining that brings clubs undone.

I DO Have an issue with moaning without offering a solution. Because its a useless waste of time and achieves zero, nothing, zilch. It's just moaning because, let's face it, Brisbane being on top of the ladder just isn't good enough and we just have to have something to moan about!!!!!

Get over yourself!

The day we have a perfect team is the day we'll all be so bored from winning by 70 points every game!

No, there is no alternative. Whitchurch? Greg Eden? Anderson? Hope ... you'd agree that we're better off with Reed.

Simple.

Dazzat

First Grade
Sorry to barge in on your forum - but I'm wondering if 'finding a scapegoat for a less-than-perfect performance' is a universal thing.

In the Sharks forum, our 'dud player' at the moment is Ricky Leutele... If he gets replaced by Gerard Beale, then the next 'whipping boy' will be Sosaia Feki.

In the real world, we just can't have the perfect team.

So, yes, I agree with you.

This.

In the past I've been a big critic of Lachlan Maranta ... and always said that we'd be better off when anyone apart from Maranta (that was before he showed improvement under Bennett).

I notice no one bagging Reed has offered any alternative.

Danoz Direct

Juniors
This.

In the past I've been a big critic of Lachlan Maranta ... and always said that we'd be better off when anyone apart from Maranta (that was before he showed improvement under Bennett).

Ok so my alternatives to Reed if he doesn't improve or is resting in order to play without being injured would be:

- Kahu into the centres, Greg Eden onto the wing until Maranta comes back from injury

- Marion Seve come into the centres as I believe he is our next gun centre if given the chance in the NRL

Big Pete

Referee
Somewhat surprisingly NRL stats have Reed at 3 assists for the year, same as Roberts. No centres have more than 3.

All three against Newcastle - 2 for Oates, 1 for Milford.

One of those for Oates was impressive, the other was a simple draw and pass when Newcastle were a man down.

I don't want Reed dropped, but it goes to show how misleading stats can be.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
The very essence of a pathetic whinge ... complain, gripe and moan and offer no solution. That's the type of whining that brings clubs undone.

I DO Have an issue with moaning without offering a solution. Because its a useless waste of time and achieves zero, nothing, zilch. It's just moaning because, let's face it, Brisbane being on top of the ladder just isn't good enough and we just have to have something to moan about!!!!!

Get over yourself!

The day we have a perfect team is the day we'll all be so bored from winning by 70 points every game!

No, there is no alternative. Whitchurch? Greg Eden? Anderson? Hope ... you'd agree that we're better off with Reed.

Simple.

I'm not sure what you're on about. I'm just calling it as I see it, you will see this quite often on an Internet forum!

If you can't live with players being criticised or people having different opinions to you then you'll be pretty unhappy hanging around forums. It is fine that you have no problems with Reed, but by the same token you need to have respect for others who think differently.

And the fact that I did not write down an alternative means that I agree with you that there is no obvious alternative, so I am not really sure what your problem is there.

But if your so insistent on putting an alternative on the table.... The best option imo would be Kahu to centre and Maranta on the wing. Does this necessarily make us a better side? It's not a given so I did not bother writing it down.

Also I really hope the club is not taking your attitude and is continuously looking to improve where they can. We can't expect every player to be a superstar, but we should be able to expect some consistency.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
This.

So it's fine for you to criticise Maranta but no-one else is allowed to criticise any other player? Get over yourself!

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Maranta was woeful but improved.
I think the main problem with reed is nobody ever notices the good things he does in particular ball running. He's great out of dummy half.
Maranta was terrible right from the start hence the criticism. Reed at least played some very good games before he turned in the rare crap performance

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
I'm not sure what you're on about. I'm just calling it as I see it, you will see this quite often on an Internet forum!

If you can't live with players being criticised or people having different opinions to you then you'll be pretty unhappy hanging around forums. It is fine that you have no problems with Reed, but by the same token you need to have respect for others who think differently.

And the fact that I did not write down an alternative means that I agree with you that there is no obvious alternative, so I am not really sure what your problem is there.

But if your so insistent on putting an alternative on the table.... The best option imo would be Kahu to centre and Maranta on the wing. Does this necessarily make us a better side? It's not a given so I did not bother writing it down.

Also I really hope the club is not taking your attitude and is continuously looking to improve where they can. We can't expect every player to be a superstar, but we should be able to expect some consistency.

I totally support people being able to express their opinion. For those who complain about a player, but offer no alternative - I don't respect that at all.

Reed is the current punching bag in a team that is sitting on top of the ladder. See if for what it is.

My personal opinion is that overall, Reed is currently more solid than Roberts. In terms of effort, Reed is always putting in. Roberts goes missing. Case in point Friday night. Reed ARM - 101. Roberts - 60.

I think he is targeted because he looks awkward and doesn't fit the classic centre mould.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee

"Anyone" isn't a satisfying answer.

It's a double standard to have a go at someone for not offering an alternative and then coming back with a cop-out answer like that.