What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Souths Discussion + Voting

Danoz Direct

Juniors
I totally support people being able to express their opinion. For those who complain about a player, but offer no alternative - I don't respect that at all.

Reed is the current punching bag in a team that is sitting on top of the ladder. See if for what it is.

My personal opinion is that overall, Reed is currently more solid than Roberts. In terms of effort, Reed is always putting in. Roberts goes missing. Case in point Friday night. Reed ARM - 101. Roberts - 60.

I think he is targeted because he looks awkward and doesn't fit the classic centre mould.

I totally disagree that Reed has been better than Roberts. Reed gets 90% of the attacking ball, so hence the reason he has more run metres but has less tries and try assists than Roberts, while also bombing tries. Roberts has not let in 1 try, yet Reed has let in at least a couple.

The idea that Reed has been playing better than Roberts is complete and utter lunacy.

And I don't pick on players for how they look and play, all that matters is that they get the job done to a good standard.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
The Broncos do go left a lot atm.
Reed will therefore make more mistake because hes getting more ball.
Interested to hear others views on why they think they are so focused on the left side.
I feel it's because they aren't showing everything they have in attack yet.
And are saving a lot for later in the season.
Hopefully this weekend.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Interested to hear others views on why they think they are so focused on the left side.
Hopefully this weekend.

It's characteristic of Bennett teams to heavily favour one side in attack, the sweep play is old as f**k but when executed well it has put Oates over for a buttload of tries.

I don't believe they instinctively want to go right so I don't think they are keeping that side a mystery on purpose, they need to learn to use it come finals time though.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
It's characteristic of Bennett teams to heavily favour one side in attack, the sweep play is old as f**k but when executed well it has put Oates over for a buttload of tries.

I don't believe they instinctively want to go right so I don't think they are keeping that side a mystery on purpose, they need to learn to use it come finals time though.

This is true. Painfully true at times.
I keep telling myself they have some plays tucked away that will find space for Roberts.
On the rare occasion they go right the ball gets turned back inside most of the time.
Roberts is a weapon no question and more ball for him is crucial.
Bennett coached a side the scored 100 tries in the backline alone. Lockyer,Smith,renouf,Langer sailor and Hancock had a field day.

League guru

Juniors
Hopefully this weekend.
if you were getting more ball wouldn't you make more more breaks not more mistakes. Otherwise you are having a shocker.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I totally support people being able to express their opinion. For those who complain about a player, but offer no alternative - I don't respect that at all.

I disagree with the general idea that a player should be immune from criticism just because of the lack of quality depth in that position.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hopefully this weekend.

For some reason we just look more comfortable going left. I can't put my finger on why. It's not like we don't have quality players on the right in Hunt, Gillett, Roberts and Kahu. Roberts is hardly getting any quality ball.

Loved the kick from the scrum for Roberts. Would have loved it more if the kick went a bit longer into the in-goal so Roberts could have dived to score himself. Kahu could hardly believe his luck!

Dazzat

First Grade
"Anyone" isn't a satisfying answer.

It's a double standard to have a go at someone for not offering an alternative and then coming back with a cop-out answer like that.

How so? At the time I suggested quite a few players, including Greg Eden who I would still probably prefer.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
I disagree with the general idea that a player should be immune from criticism just because of the lack of quality depth in that position.

Not saying he should be immune - you are entitled to your "opinion".

But I don't have to respect what is essentially "whinging".

It just happens to be a well recognised definition of whinging - expressing dissatisfaction in a situation without suggesting an alternative.

As opposed to offering a constructive opinion - "I don't think this is working, so what about this ..."

So, go for your life bagging Reed, just don't expect any respect until you offer a solution.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
For some reason we just look more comfortable going left. I can't put my finger on why. It's not like we don't have quality players on the right in Hunt, Gillett, Roberts and Kahu. Roberts is hardly getting any quality ball.

Loved the kick from the scrum for Roberts. Would have loved it more if the kick went a bit longer into the in-goal so Roberts could have dived to score himself. Kahu could hardly believe his luck!

All teams will look better going left because that's the preferred side to pass for right handers.
These are full time professionals though so it shouldn't really be a reason.
Im sure our attack will be broader later in the season.
Bennett is a wily old gunner and is holding his cards close this season.
I reckon he wants this one pretty bad.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Not saying he should be immune - you are entitled to your "opinion".

But I don't have to respect what is essentially "whinging".

It just happens to be a well recognised definition of whinging - expressing dissatisfaction in a situation without suggesting an alternative.

As opposed to offering a constructive opinion - "I don't think this is working, so what about this ..."

So, go for your life bagging Reed, just don't expect any respect until you offer a solution.

But that's the whole point there is no obvious solution. Is it not possible to give constructive feedback about a player without suggesting a change in the line-up?

I feel like Reed has been inconsistent but I wouldn't be changing the line-up at this stage as it's disruptive and an alternative (see earlier post) is not guaranteed to be better. Reed needs to get his consistency back, this is for Reed and Bennett to solve, not me.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
All teams will look better going left because that's the preferred side to pass for right handers.
These are full time professionals though so it shouldn't really be a reason.
Im sure our attack will be broader later in the season.
Bennett is a wily old gunner and is holding his cards close this season.
I reckon he wants this one pretty bad.

Yep there is no need for our attack to be perfect yet. I'm a bit surprised that we used the kick from the scrum play for Roberts, I guess other teams will be looking for that now. In saying that, Roberts is so fast that they probably won't be able to stop it anyway. It's incredible to got to the ball fast after copping two checks.

Dazzat

First Grade
But that's the whole point there is no obvious solution. Is it not possible to give constructive feedback about a player without suggesting a change in the line-up?

I feel like Reed has been inconsistent but I wouldn't be changing the line-up at this stage as it's disruptive and an alternative (see earlier post) is not guaranteed to be better. Reed needs to get his consistency back, this is for Reed and Bennett to solve, not me.

Yep ... totally agree.

Personally I think Reed has the ingredients to be a very good, consistent centre. He's scored some amazing, unconventional tries.

And that's where I think Reed's strengths lie - in his unusual way of doing things.

Could it be, that Milford is dominating on the left side and Reed is being pushed out of contributing in attacking moves?

Just saying.

Milford is rightfully getting all the accolades at the moment, with a fair share of his attacking plays on the left side.