What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 (2005) Bluebags v Dirty Reds (The Frank Burge Shield)

Dread

Juniors
Dirty Reds

Hutty1986 - Origin Passion Going South Has Maroons Singing The Blues

A few grammatical errors hurt your writing, but otherwise this was a solid look at the swing in the dominance of State of Origin.

Score: 84

The Joey Show – D.R.R.L – Dirty Reds Rugby League.

Having not closely followed the Reds season this year, I can’t vouch for the accuracy of your comparisons, with the exception of Cake or Death. Who? That said, it was a solid article.

Score: 83

Speaking of which…

Cake or Death - I was wrong about them: Andrew Johns and Rhys Wesser

This is a very interesting article that shows some of the superstars of our game from a different perspective. A refreshing read.

Score: 90

Thuganomics – 2005 Australian Team

This is a well written run-down of a predicted Australian tri-nations team.

Score: 85

MrCharisma - George Piggins right?

It had me scratching my head about this Brandell character until I read the external note. That said, this was a bizarre, slightly twisted but thoroughly entertaining read.

Score: 91

Newtown

Willow – Us Versus Them

This article was really well written and a very amusing look into the history of club rivalries. Well done.

Score: 95

HMS Cheesemaker – Footy in the Suburbs

A point well made, and one I definitely agree with.

Score: 87

Dragon_PSA – A Season Against All Odds

A couple of errors hurt this piece. Otherwise, it was a solid take on a very unlikely occurrence.

Score: 82

Edabomb – NRL Screenplay

A fun article. I can’t see Keanu getting in there and gritting out ala Luke Priddis, unfortunately…

Score: 86

Rexxy– The Year my Dragons Broke

Uhhh… this is kind of weird. Two articles about the same Dragons season, in the same 7’s game? Anyway, I liked your take on the whole situation, although reading some of it gave me a very keen sense of de ja vu.

Score: 89

Result: Glebe Dirty Red 433 have been defeated by the Newtown Bluebags 439. The inaugural Frank Burge shield is heading to Henson Park for 2005!

M.O.M: Willow

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Thank you for the prompt marking Dread. A worthy challenge from the Dirty Reds - well played guys. To the Bags: Outstanding effort team! Onwards and upwards...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wow... ! Thanks heaps Dread for the MOTM. I'm humbled to have scored that in such good company.
Also, thanks for understanding the similarities in a couple of essays. A decade since the events of 95-96 and it it appears they are well remembered by more then a few Saints supporters.
Congrats to HMS Cheesemaker on his excellent debut in the F7s.:thumn
Commisserations Dirty Reds. Great 5v5 match-up and better luck next round.

Well done Bags... I think we're back in the top five... at least for the moment. :)

Misanthrope

Staff member
Ah, damn. Looks like it back to the old drawing board for the Reds. Congrats on Cake or Death and MrCharisma on damn fine scores, and on Hutty1986 and thuganomics for writing fine return/debut articles.

Congrats to Willow on MoM. That Frank Burge Shield is ours next year!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Looking forward to keeping the local derby going as well CWB.

The Burge Shield looks good in our trophy cabinet... you're welcomed to come over and have a look... but don't touch. ;-)

Misanthrope

Staff member
The Burge Shield looks good in our trophy cabinet... you're welcomed to come over and have a look... but don't touch.

Ooh. Them's fighting words. Newton and Glebe are 1 on 1 now (if you include PvP results, which I do). We're coming to get you next time!

Good work Bluebags... the better side won the game, and that's all you can ask for.

Unlucky Reds, it seems we keep finding ways to get beat. Some great articles there, and some things to work on for the future.

Cake or Death

Juniors
Well done, all - back to the drawing board, again....

The critique about me being unknown is not entirely fair - perhaps you might check the ASRL forums for some examples of my work (look for Cake or Death, running Wagga Badgers / Stallions (http://invisionfree.com/forums/ASRL/index.php?act=idx )...

...but, it is a point well taken, and I expect to correct this, as I expect shortly to be in position to contribute more as I learn more about NRL, because I don't like spouting off when it would be perfectly clear that I don't know what in the world I'm talking about. At least the F7's are forcing me to pick up NRL knowledge faster than I otherwise would :)

I know enough to hate the Cowboys, feel sorry for Rabbitohs (in a few years, as soon as my memories of what Murdoch did to them fade, I'll laugh at them instead, if they don't improve), and wonder about the hopes of Panthers and Knights for next season (likely positive for Knights, a bit down for Panthers imo), but I haven't decided on whether to support QLD or NSW yet...

How many years do you all have on me in league experience, after all - I can't catch up that quickly, and unless I win the lottery (I think I can talk my wife into a trip to Australia, as long as I spend some time with her, and let her do some shopping, I can get a little "hands on" league scrimmaging whilst I am about it...), I'll have to learn things the harder way :cry:

...or else, one of you can win the lottery, and bring a few mates to the States - I'll buy the first round :D

Misanthrope

Staff member
I haven't decided on whether to support QLD or NSW yet...

I think the answer is obvious. North Queensland are from Queensland (bad), and the Blues have won three straight (good). Go NSW!

Latest posts