What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 (2008) Panthers v Cougars

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd just like to say that's it's been a pleasure playing aside my Panther team mates this season once again, and I look forward to doing it all again next season.

It's a shame we only got 3 articles in this time, but we won't be lying down next season.

Another season stronger.

Congratulations to the Cougars on getting 5 articles in and the win.

Big Pete

Referee
Hey madunit thanks for the accolades.

Being a former Panther and coming up through their 'junior ranks' I've always admired the club and been a huge fan of the players and of course the heart and soul of the club Big Mick who was kind enough to give me my first start in the F7's. It really meant a lot to me as I was only 14 at the time and my grasp on the English language was fairly poor. However Big Mick knew how much it meant to someone like me and gave me a chance and my biggest regret is that I was never able to make it up to him while at the Panthers.

So with my life story behind us, I just wanted to wish you guys well over the off-season! Long live the people's team, the Penrith Panthers!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mick's an icon.

You know, I left Sydney back in 2006 and was unable to post any articles after round 4. I felt bad about it the whole time, Since getting back online in late 2006, I've played every game for Penrith in the last 2 years, in an attempt to make up for letting him down. I know he's forgotten about that, but we just wanna do him and the team proud so much, that little things like that tend to linger for some of us.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
COUGARS

dallymessenger
Never Before, Never Again.
724 words
The well trodded tale of St George winning 11-in-a-row.
Spelling and punctuation errors hampered the hit ups. Overall, the article lacked clarification and gets a little lost as the author struggles to properly comprehend or interpret the sources used.
It also helps to credit sources (presumably Larry Writer's book was used) - this is outlined in the F7s rules and regulations.
Score: 75

NK Arsenal
The Five Advantages
709 words
Some refreshing play here as the author works his way through the positives of rugby league.
The grammar was less than well-structured but the message was received in what was obviously well researched piece of work. The author wasn't afraid to put his own opinion in as well and this added to the tally.
Score: 79

lockyno1
Stopping the Exodus
771 words
The author explores the problems of players leaving the game for union, and throws up solutions.
Nicely written although I wondered why 'Rugby Union' was given proper noun upper case while 'rugby league' was relegated to lower case. One or the other is OK and stick with it, but both are not OK in the same article. Picky I know, but this is a level you're more than capable of achieving.
Also, you busted the word limit barrier. Plus I have a ref request that you declare the team you are playing for. These are outlined in the F7s rules and regulations.
(Score: 87 less word count penalty of 5 points)
Score: 82

Big Pete
Where’s The Heart?
749 words
Very well written and flows nicely from point to point. Hard to argue with the sentiments.
Ref request that you declare the team you are playing for. This are outlined in the F7s rules and regulations.
Score: 91

griffo346
*After reviewing the video footage of the game against the Raiders down in Canberra*
718 words
I think I get it... some sort of satire? I liked how the D-Generation made fun of Lucky Grills aka Inspector Bargearse. I think the author is trying to do something similar. The difference is, the D-Generation made people laugh.
Jokes aside, the author has written an original piece to highlight a fans frustration with their coach and coaching decisions. There is a question mark over bringing outside forum issues into the F7s which is a no-no, but I don't believe the author meant too much by that. Nevertheless, this is outlined in the F7s rules and regulations.
Let down by some ordinary attempts at spacing between words. If spaced properly, the article would have been at least 10 words longer, so something to watch out for in future.
10 out of 10 for effort. :thumn
Score: 59

PANTHERS

madunit
A Statistical Insight
740 words
Well written. Like fine wine, the author shows that the more you write, the better you'll get... or like an old footballer, you work out how to be consistent from game to game.
Some interesting stats and well researched. Lacked a twist, a bit dry perhaps, and didn't offer much in the way of conclusion. But was well written and this made the difference in the end.
Score: 86

The Piper
The 2028 Forum Sevens Year in Review
735 words
20 years in the future, or in the here and now? The F7s and pseudo science fiction - a nice combo.
Original and humorous, and my reading is that sometimes folks take themselves too seriously. Did I get it? ;-)
For the record, I plan on being dead in 3028.
Score: 89

Azkatro
The disappointment of losing a great talent
744 words
Another Sonny Bill Williams story, except this time the author tells us it means nothing. Irony not lost, although I'm sure you're right about others agreeing with your perspective. Overall a solid opinion piece and very well written.
Score: 89

COUGARS 386 defeat PANTHERS 264

POTM: Big Pete (Cougars)

Well played both teams. :clap:

Cougars get the two competition points and win the Western Sydney Shield

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks Willow for the reffing, top job.

well done both sides. Us pathers have some time off before the selections for the world cup squads begins.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
This game sums up our season - we luckily won but it was cause the opposition didn't have all their players.

Thanks willow and panfas

bartman

Immortal
Well done Cougars, a top effort in playing out the season and making your 5 posts. Unlucky not to get the other results to sneak into the finals, but played out the season in the true spirit of F7s.

Hopefully will see both teams back next year.

The Piper

Juniors
Willow said:
Original and humorous, and my reading is that sometimes folks take themselves too seriously. Did I get it?
Pretty much, mate. I did myself back in the day. I do it for fun and for my teammates these days.
Willow said:
For the record, I plan on being dead in 3028.
C'mon, be more positive and never say never.

LeagueNut

First Grade
blah-grumpy.gif

Backpacker Points

3 points - Big Pete (Cougars) :clap:
2 points - The Piper (Panthers) & Azkatro (Panthers) :thumn
1 point - madunit (Panthers) :mrgreen:

That wraps up the Backpacker Points for this year. Final placings will be announced in the 2008 Forum Sevens Awards show at the end of the season.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit said:
So to make it simpler – here is how the Grand Finals will end up for the top 4 teams, based on statistics and history.

Manly v Melbourne – Manly wins
Manly v Cronulla – Cronulla wins
Manly v Roosters – Roosters win
Melbourne v Cronulla – Melbourne wins
Melbourne v Roosters – Melbourne win
Cronulla v Roosters – Cronulla win
Hey Willow, any chance I can get a few extra points for being right lol ;-)