What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 v Broncos

mxlegend99

Referee
You say that every week, MX. Even when we are winning.
13 teams have more wins then us and only 1 team has less wins then us. We easily have one of the best rosters and injuries are not affecting us too much.

Our coach is picking shit teams and then has no game plans in place. He ran a f**king centre on the bench for a few weeks straight against good forward packs and has gotten rid of all our impact players. Our pack is not going to win many battles if we dont have any impact coming from the bench.

We have won 25% of our games despite being favorites in all but 1 or 2 games. The only thing in our favor this week is Griffin having a great record against Bennett. But not even that is likely to matter.

At Broncos he did the same thing. 1 great season in his first year (with Lockyer in the team) followed by 3 years of shit.

2011 - 74% win rate
2012 - 48% win rate
2013 - 42% win rate
2014 - 50% win rate

Considering the club he coached... only one season there was acceptable. He looks to have repeated that with us.

2016 - 57% win rate (barely a pass)
2017 - 25%*

Im sorry but I dont see things getting any better. Our history says 2 good seasons in a row is unlikely. His coaching record suggests the same. Our current win rate suggests we will be spoon contenders. Not premiership contenders.

But go bury your head in the sand. Everything is fine. He will suddenly come good.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I actually think we can win this purely due to the way the Broncos defend. The way their defence is structured suits us.

Black Magik

Juniors
What I am concerned with is, last year the team could be playing badly in the first half but come out in the second and win it or the game. Not this year. The team get in a funk and can't play their way out of it.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Hadn't checked the team list until now - Didn't want to ruin my ANZAC day - Glad I did, because the named side instils about as much confidence as a blind pilot... Not looking forward to this at all

forby

Juniors
Whilst we are playing badly it should be noted that we crossed the line 4 times against Melbourne and 3 times against Cronulla without scoring. And neither Maloney, Norman or Radradra had 2 feet behind the kicker as in now required. If some of the calls go our way for a change this could have been a different story.

mxlegend99

Referee
Whilst we are playing badly it should be noted that we crossed the line 4 times against Melbourne and 3 times against Cronulla without scoring. And neither Maloney, Norman or Radradra had 2 feet behind the kicker as in now required. If some of the calls go our way for a change this could have been a different story.
It should also be noted we still lost... and when you lose 75% of your games all those what ifs mean nothing.

The only what if that matters... what if we didnt suck? We are stuck with a terrible coach and Gus is too proud to sack him and admit he was wrong.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

No, it couldn't have because we have been playing like absolute crap. Come on, man. There is support, and then there is willful delusion.

mxlegend99

Referee
What I am concerned with is, last year the team could be playing badly in the first half but come out in the second and win it or the game. Not this year. The team get in a funk and can't play their way out of it.
Yep. Werent we in a record amount of close games the first 8 rounds or so? Like in the final 2 minutes every game was up for grabs.

You could see we only needed tp change a bit to win. Now.... well we are way off against good teams and barely as good as shit teams. We faced Tigers and Kniggts at the perfect time. Neither is that bad now... and we would lose to both if we played them now

TheFrog

Coach
But go bury your head in the sand. Everything is fine. He will suddenly come good.
Nice rant mate. Anyone would think I've been sticking up for the coach. My position is that having appointed him we are stuck with him for this season at least and quite possibly next as well. It is his role to turn things around. If you want a team that sacks their coach the minute things go bad the Wests Tigers are looking for supporters. Or if you want a team that wins a lot the Broncos or Storm are a good option. Just don't let the door slam on your arse on the way out.

Honestly, some (and if this forum is any guide most of them) supporters of this club deserve everything they get. You keep saying they are shit and then complain when they are shit. Hows about supporting our team when they are down? Ever heard of that?

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Nice rant mate. Anyone would think I've been sticking up for the coach. My position is that having appointed him we are stuck with him for this season at least. It is his role to turn things around. If you want a team that sacks their coach the minute things go bad the Wests Tigers are looking for supporters. Don't let the door slam on your arse on the way out.

Honestly, some supporters of this club deserve everything they get. You keep saying they are shit and then complain when they are shit. Hows about supporting our team when they are down? Ever heard of that?
I have supported the club through thick and thin. Unlike you I dont blindly accept us wadting so many potentially good season.. you think that makes you a better supporter. Good on you. Give yourself a pat on the back. I wish I didnt love the team and could settle for that like you can.

I mean who gives a f**k about winning?

I will support this team until the day I die even if we get the wooden spoon every year until that happens. But as a supporter that loves the team I will always want us to do better than making up the numbers and barely missing the spoon. We are a better team than that. We have a top 4 roster yet we sit one win above the Knights. That is nowhere near good enough.

TheFrog

Coach
I will support this team until the day I die
You wouldn't have known it.

I don't think sacking the coach will achieve anything. Not only is there no-one better available, it will cost the club huge $$$ that it really cannot afford to pay him out and like the Tigers, we will be a laughing stock.

I don't know why he is keeping certain players in reserve grade, but the simple truth is that reserve grade is going just as bad against reserve grade opposition. Maybe they need to lift their performance and they will make the side.

Believe it or not, this slump could be character building, this year, next year or the year after. At some time in the future the team will come good. I'd like to think it will be next game but that's just me and my blind optimism. It hurts me like crazy to see us play badly, but I like to look at the positives. We could have beaten Parramatta if we'd held onto the ball in the latter stages , I am convinced of that. They were begging to be beaten. I feel the turnaround is near.

ACTPanthers

Bench

I don't think sacking the coach will achieve anything. Not only is there no-one better available, it will cost the club huge $$$ that it really cannot afford to pay him out and like the Tigers, we will be a laughing stock.

I don't know why he is keeping certain players in reserve grade, but the simple truth is that reserve grade is going just as bad against reserve grade opposition. Maybe they need to lift their performance and they will make the side.

Believe it or not, this slump could be character building, this year, next year or the year after. At some time in the future the team will come good. I'd like to think it will be next game but that's just me and my blind optimism. It hurts me like crazy to see us play badly, but I like to look at the positives. We could have beaten Parramatta if we'd held onto the ball in the latter stages , I am convinced of that. They were begging to be beaten. I feel the turnaround is near.

We already ARE a laughing stock though....

Could of beaten Parra, but didn't.... A lot of "could of" scenarios "could of" happened

Wow your optimism really is something. Your excuse making is too.

Seriously though, Griffin has only about 50% of his contract remaining, won't be a massive payout. Panthers can easily afford it too, clubs finances are in a vastly improved position.

And sorry why will be a laughing stock? We already are! The tigers are a laughing stock because they've been mismanaged for a long time, not just because of the one decision. At some point Phil Gould is going to have to summon the courage to admit he made a massive mistake appointing Griffin, the sooner he does the quicker we can move on.

mxlegend99

Referee
We already ARE a laughing stock though....

Could of beaten Parra, but didn't.... A lot of "could of" scenarios "could of" happened
Exactly. Equal premiership favorites over tge off season. A third of the way into the season we have lost 75% of our games and been absolutely destroyed in 3 of our losses.

How could we become more of a laughing stock? Sacking a shit coach is a smart decision... sticking by a shit coach would be more laughable.

We sacked Ivan Cleary and we never had a roster this good under him. His results were better than this and we had ridiculous injury tolls.

2 years ago under Cleary we had a massive win on the same weekend and we were missing half our team.

2. Mansour
3. Idris
4. Whare
6. Soward
7. Wallace
9. Segeyaro
10. Kite
13. Taylor

That is our centres and 3/4 of the spine missing. But we won. Ultimately he was sacked because of results but injuries caused those results more than his coaching.

2 years later there is no excuse for Griffin. The only week he impressed me was when he showed some spine and dropped Blake, Hiku and Moylan. That was ballsy ontop of pur injury list and I was proud they only lost by 1. All the other weeks though the excuses dont cut it for me.

If we had faced Tigers after Cleary was hired pr Knights on any other weekend I would expect us to have lost those games too.

Our effort is terrible from most players. Our team selections are terrible and there is obviously no game plan. We seem to make it up as we go and hope for the best. We have all thesw great attacking players and no plans to use them all. Instead they get in each others way with no idea what their role in the team is. And our defence is by far the worst in the NRL. Defence is attitude. Ours stinks. The coach is responsible for that.

betcats

Referee

Yeah lets just keep losing for the next two years in the hope it will pay some kind of dividend down the road. As for there is no one better available than Griffin, you are just saying that you or I have no idea if that is true. What we do know for a fact is that Griffin has taken a squad universallly rated as one of the best in the comp this year and turned them into wooden spoon contenders, that is what we do know.