What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

round 9 v tigers

souths_pride

Juniors
Well I think it is fair to say that we wont be playing finals football this year. I do not know how we could possibly lose to the rabble that is the Wests Tigers. People will say that we were unlucky and we could have and should have won but remember, this we were playing against a team that was missing a host of their best players, including their five-eight moments before kick off and which had gotten beaten by another mediocre team by 56 points the week before and WE STILL COULDN'T the job done!

Here is where I thought we were lacking in tonight's performance; bare with me because the list is quite long! First and foremost is our line speed. This is not a new problem but something which has been apparent since the beginning of the season; we just move up far to slow in defence and allow the opposition forwards to make easy metres up the middle. I swear there was a period in the first half before we made our comeback where our defensive line was WALKING! Yes, WALKING up in defence! That is unacceptable!

Secondly, both halves were poor tonight and failed to orchestrate anything in attack. Adam Reynolds simply ran through plays mindlessly; he needs to engage the defensive line more and execute plays that are in accordance to the game situation. The way he plays is symptomatic of someone with poor tactical vision. I acknowledge playing what is in front of him is not Reynolds' greatest strength but he needs to better because even his kicking is lacking purpose at the moment. Luke Keary is simply not up to first grade standard and if he is selected next week I will personally contact Madge and as him for an explanation. As I have said before, the guy just plays off the cuff without any care for the players around him, the game situation or what is in front of him. The bombed try from the Sam Burgess line break is proof of this; if he used his eyes he would have seen he had 3-4 man overlap on the left hand side and could have scored easily. I think we will see Cody Walker in the team next week.

I also have a massive problem with our urgency when the ball is in our in goal area. This is what cost us big time tonight! It happened on quite a few of the tries, where the ball and players would simply look at it. I'm not sure whether this is down to poor attitude or just carelessness but it was a very bad look. In saying that, our defence looked sloppy all night. In particular, I was stunned at how easily our left hand edge was caught out for Nofoaluma's last try. Part of the problem too is that our outside backs are constantly backing off when threatened defensively; they need to be moving up and in quickly to shut down attacks quickly. This was clearly shown through the second try, although it would have helped if we had marked up so there wasn't an overlap!

Lastly, and this is probably just a minor thing given our performance, but I again have to question the use of interchanges and team selections. For starters, what was the point of playing David Tyrell is we were only going to use him for 12 minutes? The same can be said of the debutant, Siolo; what is the point of picking them if you can't trust them to do a job for you, especially when it means that we had to play Cameron McInnes out of position in the back row? Secondly, I don't like the fact that we leave one of the Burgess twins out of the game for the middle part. Tonight it was Tom but we've generally left one on the bench between the 20th and 60th minute quite often this season and it only serves to weaken us. Granted, they have not been playing all that well but surely in a team that is lacking size and physicality, it makes sense to have your two biggest forward involved when the game is in the balance. I'm not saying that he shouldn't come off for a rest during that stage but don't leave them off the field for that long. Lastly, Nathan Brown, the one player who looked like winning the game for us, was also given a long break right when the game was in the balance! Again surely you give him a quick breather and get him back out there! Why even take him off, particularly when you a bringing on a debutant that you don't fully trust!

On to the positives now and I'm really struggling here. I thought Greg Inglis was back to his damaging best. He looked to be playing with more confidence and showed that he still has his strength and agility. I would still like to see him receive the ball more closer to the defensive line from his halves but then again it is hard fault a guy who has made over 250 metres for you. I thought Sam Burgess really put in a shift tonight and played with aggression and determination; you can't ask for much more from him! Just as impressive were both of the twins; I don't know why it has taken them this long to be this aggressive but both of them got stuck in and made plenty of metres; aside from the opening two rounds, this was easily their best performances of the season. Damian Cook also made the game come alive and showed why he is our no. 1 hooker. He not only got the team moving forward when we needed a comeback but he also showed that he has tremendous vision and ball skills to match with that wonderful pass for Goodwin to score the last of our tries. Last but not least was Nathan Brown - what a player! He completely changed the game for us when we needed a lift and showed why he should be starting week in, week out; his hard running lifted the team and he created scoring chances through his offloads - an aspect of his game which we were yet to see! On the whole, I've been very impressed with his aggression all season and he has shown tonight that he has the makings of being a top class back rower.

Overall, these positive don't really count for much given the nature of the opposition. Madge was right when he bagged the team in his press conference. I think the time is come now for a few heads to roll. I get the feeling that Tyrell and Clark could have played their last games and Luke Keary will find himself back in reserve grade also. Kyle Turner doesn't add much but he always seems to get picked. Hopefully Alex Johnston is back next week, although wingers don't really win you games of footy! Its Parramatta up next and given that they have drastically improved since last week, I don't feel too confidence facing them.

rabbitohs95

Bench
mate there's more than 1 forward in your side. Experience around them means little. Brown showed tonight that if you commit to running and tackling hard you can make a difference. Too many of Souths forwards are just not committed to playing hard and tough like that, which was what was most fearsome about Souths since 2013 especially.

Big reason we were so fearsome was because we had guys like Ben Te'o, Michael Crocker, Roy Asotasi and Jeff Lima. Those guys brought experience and starch to our pack, not to mention professionalism and leadership. They never let us get bullied around and the results showed.

At the moment our only really experienced forwards are Sam Burgess and John Sutton, who's out for a long time. There's Tyrrell and Clark but they don't strike fear into anyone.

Young guys like Grevsmuhl, George and Tom Burgess, Turner, Brown and Carter are still going through the motions in first grade and are yet to really string good performances together. They all have good attributes but also downfalls and just need time to refine their games.

We really need to sign a hitman with a reputation who's been doing the rounds for a while.

I'd really like to see us sign someone like Greg Eastwood, Sam Tagataese, James Tamou or Sam Moa.

Unfortunately we'll probably sign some safe backrower.

Rabbits20

Immortal
R95 I'm pretty upset with some of the players not wanting to be on the field. There was no heart or will to want to win from most.

It just isn't good enough mate.

Some have major attitude problems.

souths_pride

Juniors
I wouldn't say the players are duds.

But damn your forwards are not just not in the game mentally, they aren't even in the same country as the game. Brown was the only motivated forward, the rest looked like they were thinking about knitting.

Madge needs to rip into those big bastards and fire them up. Struggling to match it with arguably the worst pack in the comp (when at full strength) but further weaked with Lawrence shifted to Five-eighth and no Grant or Woods, your mob should've steamrolled us like the less talented Raiders forwards did last week.

That is the only concern. Your halves and backs have f**k all chance when your forwards don't put in.

I'm a Tigers fan, I know that shit better than most.
I think when the coach comes out in the press conference says that there are players in the team that have an attitude problem then that is a pretty ominous sign. I think we are beyond the point of ripping into these players; they need to be dropped and players selected who want to be there. In saying that, there is plenty of talent in the team as our forwards showed when they decided that they wanted to play a bit of footy. However, playing well for 30-40 minutes against a mediocre Wests Tigers team doesn't win you games of footy.
I don't think I've seen a worse 20 mins from Souths then that first 20 tonight. I couldn't believe the sheer lack of intensity. Jordan Rankin was making tackle breaks on the second hit up of a set against a set defensive line.

There must be real problems at Souths cause even though we were tough we were still shithouse.

Getting rid of 5/6 starting players for Burgess seems like a terrible move now.
The coach has admitted we have an attitude problem, although I don't see why people like having a dig at the Burgess signing. God only knows where we would be without him as once again, he was one of our best performers! The guy played his guts out in both attack and defence and played on despite hurting his ankle; if that doesn't reflect the attitude of man who wanted to be there then I'm from another planet!

souths_pride

Juniors
Big reason we were so fearsome was because we had guys like Ben Te'o, Michael Crocker, Roy Asotasi and Jeff Lima. Those guys brought experience and starch to our pack, not to mention professionalism and leadership. They never let us get bullied around and the results showed.

At the moment our only really experienced forwards are Sam Burgess and John Sutton, who's out for a long time. There's Tyrrell and Clark but they don't strike fear into anyone.

Young guys like Grevsmuhl, George and Tom Burgess, Turner, Brown and Carter are still going through the motions in first grade and are yet to really string good performances together. They all have good attributes but also downfalls and just need time to refine their games.

We really need to sign a hitman with a reputation who's been doing the rounds for a while.

I'd really like to see us sign someone like Greg Eastwood, Sam Tagataese, James Tamou or Sam Moa.

Unfortunately we'll probably sign some safe backrower.
I don't buy the who lack of experience thing. We have guys who have been around long enough to know how first grade football works. All three Burgess brother have been playing for quite a few seasons now, as have the likes of Reynolds, Keary and a few others. In terms of aggression, there is plenty of that too with the likes of the Burgesses, Nathan Brown, Paul Carter and Chris Grevsmuhl all being physical players! Given that the average NRL career is only 14 games, you'd think these players had better start showing the goods or they might be finding themselves out of a club.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I know people will see that tyrell came off after 12 minutes and say what a waste, but i don't think tyrell was taken off because he was playing poorly, i think it was more of a case of getting brown on as early as he could to try spark the rest of the forwards because they didn't seem interested and were getting dominated by a no name tigers pack.

Cook looks flashy, but he seems like more of an individualistic player and in the first half our attack seemed disjointed. He'll pop out and look to probe, then panic and shovel the ball off to an unsuspecting player killing momentum. His service out of dummy half can be a bit rusty and on a few occasions his dodgy pass out of dummy half forced a rush kick off a half on the 5th tackle. He is similar to Robbie farah i think, when his work comes off it looks good, but his very individualistic and goes against the grain of the team on occasion. He ala5o seems to lack confidence to go through with his solo attacks although in the last 10 minutes he got better in this regard.

George seemed to be playing better, but jeez that unforced error was a momentum killer

A lot of players mixed the good with the bad, goodwin got a try through perseverance then fumbled and bumbled his way through the rest of the game for example. Everyone had that sort of a game

I think auva'a and gray have a good combo forming on that side of the field, hopefully added sticks with it. I don't get all the auva'a hate, think his going a lot better then goodwin

philgood

Juniors
Get that up ya alien aka rabbits 20! Long live the wests tigers.
Which team will u follow now lol? Must be hard watching your beloved wests tigers smash the team u supposedly follow

To all the GENUINE souths supporters. Hope your team can rise above this form slump

Absolutely gutted,totally unacceptable.10 players from 2014 Squad played last nite. Players looked like they did not want to be there.

southsport

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-...57811cd7952f2d
Rabbitohs-Tigers player ratings:

Greg Inglis 7.5
Ran more freely and heavily involved. Could not have done much more. FULLBACK

Dane Nielsen 6
Put down one kick but was generally safe without getting too involved. WING

Kirisome Auva'a 6.5
Some aggressive defence and scored a try but not a major impact. CENTRE

Bryson Goodwin 7.5
Was one of his side’s best. Was putting in when others weren’t. CENTRE

Aaron Gray 6.5
Been pretty consistent and nothing wrong with his contribution in this one. WING

Luke Keary 4.5
Bombed a try and very little impact. Should be in reggies next week. 5/8

Adam Reynolds 5
Some towering torpedos but rest of his game was poor. Looks disinterested. H/BACK

Thomas Burgess 5.5
Was missing in action early but wasn’t alone. Only so-so. PROP

Damien Cook 7
Came up with plenty of defence and at least looked lively at times. HOOKER

David Tyrell 3.5
Hard to remember him even out there. Not an ounce of impact. PROP

Chris Grevsmuhl 5
Took a head knock but didn’t feature much while he was out there. 2ND ROW

Kyle Turner 6
Defensive workrate okay but offered little in attack. 2ND ROW

Sam Burgess 7.5
Maybe lost some aura but still put in big time in trying to life his side. LOCK

Cameron McInnes 5.5
Used as a loose forward and did okay without offering too much. I/CHANGE

Nathan Brown 8
It was his drive and desire when he came on that sparked Souths’ revival. I/CHANGE

George Burgess 7.5
Getting closer to the George Burgess of old on his effort in this one. I/CHANGE

Patrice Siolo 3
Limited game time and next to no impact I/CHANGE

alien

Referee
I don't get all the auva'a hate, think his going a lot better then goodwin

i don't think anyone here hates him, but this year he hasn't been very good. his best is better than goodwin's best, but so far this year goodwin has been better than auva'a in the centres. i really don't know what the heck is wrong with auva'a this year

Rabbits20

Immortal
I know people will see that tyrell came off after 12 minutes and say what a waste, but i don't think tyrell was taken off because he was playing poorly, i think it was more of a case of getting brown on as early as he could to try spark the rest of the forwards because they didn't seem interested and were getting dominated by a no name tigers pack.

Cook looks flashy, but he seems like more of an individualistic player and in the first half our attack seemed disjointed. He'll pop out and look to probe, then panic and shovel the ball off to an unsuspecting player killing momentum. His service out of dummy half can be a bit rusty and on a few occasions his dodgy pass out of dummy half forced a rush kick off a half on the 5th tackle. He is similar to Robbie farah i think, when his work comes off it looks good, but his very individualistic and goes against the grain of the team on occasion. He ala5o seems to lack confidence to go through with his solo attacks although in the last 10 minutes he got better in this regard.

George seemed to be playing better, but jeez that unforced error was a momentum killer

A lot of players mixed the good with the bad, goodwin got a try through perseverance then fumbled and bumbled his way through the rest of the game for example. Everyone had that sort of a game

I think auva'a and gray have a good combo forming on that side of the field, hopefully added sticks with it. I don't get all the auva'a hate, think his going a lot better then goodwin

Auva'a was shocking and will be dropped.

Goodwin played a lot better.

You are a Goodwin hater. We all know that.

Goodwin was one of the guys having a go. Many in my bay at the game say the ones who blame Goodwin don't know Rugby League.

Latest posts