What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

round 9 v tigers

Rabbits20

Immortal
i don't think anyone here hates him, but this year he hasn't been very good. his best is better than goodwin's best, but so far this year goodwin has been better than auva'a in the centres. i really don't know what the heck is wrong with auva'a this year

Auva'a is in talks with other clubs and will be leaving Souths after this season. You guys will see.

Wests Tigers victory raises questions over commitment of South Sydney Rabbitohs
Date
April 29, 2016 - 5:58AM

-
South Sydney coach Michael Maguire described his team's performance against the Wests Tigers as 'garbage', labelling the loss as the worst in his time at the club.

Maguire insists it's time for some hard truths after the Rabbitohs slumped to four straight losses with a humiliating performance against the Tigers at ANZ Stadium on Thursday night.

"The players' attitudes, we need to sort that out very quickly," a frustrated Maguire said.

"Because if we keep letting in simple tries like that we are going to stay in the same place. I thought our defence was very ordinary tonight. Very ordinary. Our players, I don't normally make comment about it, but we need to make sure we're a lot better than that otherwise we're going to stay in exactly the same place we are right now.

"That first 20 minutes was not acceptable at this club. Myself and the players, we need to make sure we're accountable for what we put out there because it was garbage, really. People just didn't want to put their bodies on the line, it's plain and simple."

After a 60-6 thumping at the hands of Canberra last week that saw questions asked over the long-term future of coach Jason Taylor, the Tigers produced a stunning turn of form to rack up a 30-22 victory and apply the blowtorch to Maguire and his men.

This was a game they had no right to win. A game that was meant to provide the Rabbitohs with the confidence boost to reignite their season. Instead, it has the potential to derail it.

A shocking first half from the Rabbitohs angered South Sydney fans, who booed their team as they fell 20 points behind inside 21 minutes, but not even a resurgence in the second half could prevent them from slumping to their sixth loss in seven games.

Asked if he'd seen such a poor performance in his time at the club, Maguire said: "No I haven't, no".

"We have to have a good hard look at ourselves. The players, myself, all the team - we're all in this together. How we get through this is by being pretty honest and brutal with what's going on out on the field there."

The talk in the pre-season was all about how the coach had lost the support of the playing group, but back-to-back wins to open the season quickly silenced the critics.

However, the out-of-sorts Rabbitohs look anything like happy campers, with their stars carrying injuries and the rest of the troops struggling to reach the intensity needed to win games of football in the NRL.

After 10 minutes the Rabbitohs had registered 10 missed tackles, with the Tigers doing to South Sydney what Canberra did to them just five days earlier.

The Wests Tigers took the precautionary measure of resting NSW-bound fullback James Tedesco after halftime, struggling with a shoulder injury he picked up in the opening 40.

Even without starting props Aaron Woods and Tim Grant, the young Tigers pack made South Sydney's defence look second rate, easing the pressure on Taylor and his young side.

"We brought all of that pressure on ourselves by a performance that was absolutely not good enough last week and we take that pressure straight away with a win, and it was in such a great fashion," Taylor said.

"I am really excited about how we won that game. It was a really tough performance that was a really strong win in the circumstances and there was plenty going against us. There was a real pride in our performance, when you lose like we did that comes out."

The Tigers were on the board inside five minutes through Tedesco, who was judged by the bunker to have simultaneously grounded a grubber kick with Adam Reynolds, providing the attacking team with four points.

The Tigers fullback turned provider a few minutes later with a cut-out pass that provided Jordan Rankin with a clear path to the tryline to give Taylor's men a 10-0 advantage after 12 minutes.

Tries to Luke Brooks and Kevin Naiqama extended the visitors' lead to 20 points in 21 minutes before the Rabbitohs hit back on the stroke of half time through Kirisome Auva'a.

South Sydney didn't waste any time reducing the deficit even further after the break, with Bryson Goodwin cleaning up a David Nofoaluma fumble to make it an eight-point game.

The margin was brought to two a few minutes later when a sweeping backline play allowed Dane Nielsen to score his first try in South Sydney colours, setting up a mouth-watering final 30 minutes.

However South Sydney's momentum came to a grinding halt when Rankin beat Inglis in a race to Luke Brooks grubber and Nofoaluma crossed out wide to give the Tigers a 12 point buffer with 15 minutes remaining.

Goodwin crossed with seven minutes to go but Reynolds was unable to land a sideline conversion that would have left the Tigers with a nervous final few minutes given their recent misfortune in close finishes.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-rabbitohs-20160428-goho8a.html#ixzz47B0ZHN2b
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

souths_pride

Juniors
I know people will see that tyrell came off after 12 minutes and say what a waste, but i don't think tyrell was taken off because he was playing poorly, i think it was more of a case of getting brown on as early as he could to try spark the rest of the forwards because they didn't seem interested and were getting dominated by a no name tigers pack.

Cook looks flashy, but he seems like more of an individualistic player and in the first half our attack seemed disjointed. He'll pop out and look to probe, then panic and shovel the ball off to an unsuspecting player killing momentum. His service out of dummy half can be a bit rusty and on a few occasions his dodgy pass out of dummy half forced a rush kick off a half on the 5th tackle. He is similar to Robbie farah i think, when his work comes off it looks good, but his very individualistic and goes against the grain of the team on occasion. He ala5o seems to lack confidence to go through with his solo attacks although in the last 10 minutes he got better in this regard.

George seemed to be playing better, but jeez that unforced error was a momentum killer

A lot of players mixed the good with the bad, goodwin got a try through perseverance then fumbled and bumbled his way through the rest of the game for example. Everyone had that sort of a game

I think auva'a and gray have a good combo forming on that side of the field, hopefully added sticks with it. I don't get all the auva'a hate, think his going a lot better then goodwin
Playing Tyrell for 12 minutes was a waste. I don't get the thinking behind playing a reserve grade prop for 12 minutes and then taking him off for the rest of the game. You are basically wasting an interchange! We would have been much better off playing a second rower for 20-30 minutes and playing light than wasting interchanges. The same could be said of that young kid, Siolo. Clearly Madge doesn't trust him because if he did, he would have played him for a lot longer than 10 minutes. I was a bit surprised that he got picked over Gosiewski. Can anyone shed any light on why?

I think Cook is by far our best hooker. He controls the ruck area so well and gets us moving forward when we have the footy. Moreover, he has tremendous vision, as was evident through the try he set up for Goodwin at the end. I'm not so sure where you get this idea that he pops the ball to unsuspecting players; if he does that then it is probably on second phase plays when everything is frenetic. With McInnes at no. 9 everything is so slow and laboured.

I'm not to sure about Auva'a. He has been ordinary for a few weeks now and that first try that we scored was partly due to his side not moving up fast enough. In saying that, the overlap was created in the first place by us not having enough numbers out on that side.

In terms of pointing fingers, I'd probably be looking at the halves and the likes of Grevsmuhl, Tyrell, Turner and McInnes. Those for mine need to go!

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't think maguire planned to play tyrell for 12 minutes. But when the whole forward pack looked disinterested and no-one willing to put in an effort, in madges words none of the forwards were willing to put their bodies in front of attackers and make a tackle, then he needed someone who will have a go and at least put his body on the line and that person was brown. Brown has his flaws but effort instead one of them. It was not so much a case of get tyrell off quickly as it was a case of getting brown out there as quick as he could to try spark the forwards into life. I think if he was planning on taken tyrell of earth then george would of been the obvious replacement, but the lack of effort from the starting pack forced his hand.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Auva'a was shocking and will be dropped.

Goodwin played a lot better.

You are a Goodwin hater. We all know that.

Goodwin was one of the guys having a go. Many in my bay at the game say the ones who blame Goodwin don't know Rugby League.

Goodwim has a go. No one disputes this
But It's the only thing he brings to the table.
Is he the reason we are losing games, no, but that means he's lack of threat in attack or problems in defence aren't a problem for the team
Jeff Robson has a go, shaun femsom has a go etc, jeez even someone like jason clark has a go.

souths_pride

Juniors
I don't think maguire planned to play tyrell for 12 minutes. But when the whole forward pack looked disinterested and no-one willing to put in an effort, in madges words none of the forwards were willing to put their bodies in front of attackers and make a tackle, then he needed someone who will have a go and at least put his body on the line and that person was brown. Brown has his flaws but effort instead one of them. It was not so much a case of get tyrell off quickly as it was a case of getting brown out there as quick as he could to try spark the forwards into life. I think if he was planning on taken tyrell of earth then george would of been the obvious replacement, but the lack of effort from the starting pack forced his hand.
If that was the case then why did he not take off one of the forwards who look disinterested. Surely that is the more logical thing to do. In any case, he could have brought him back on in the second half some point but chose not to. Yes, Tyrell isn't any good but he does give all that he has. I personally would have hooked Grevsmuhl off - he really looked like he was thinking about Penrith!

DiegoNT

First Grade
If that was the case then why did he not take off one of the forwards who look disinterested. Surely that is the more logical thing to do. In any case, he could have brought him back on in the second half some point but chose not to. Yes, Tyrell isn't any good but he does give all that he has. I personally would have hooked Grevsmuhl off - he really looked like he was thinking about Penrith!

Well for one tyrell would of been the first off in the 20-25 minute mark anyway, grevs and turner are both 2nd rowers and need to play big minutes. If you are 12 behind and need a comeback from within your forwards then you need guys like sam, tom and grevsmuhl to fire up. The reason tyrell came never came back on was probably more to do with the change to the interchange plan and injuries. Mcinnes had to stay on as lock whem sam came of injured, possibly mcinnes was going to finish the game at hooker with tyrell back on for cook or something similar, plus siolo only played 10 before being injured meaning grevsmuhl had to go back on to finish the game for him etc. I

souths_pride

Juniors
Well for one tyrell would of been the first off in the 20-25 minute mark anyway, grevs and turner are both 2nd rowers and need to play big minutes. If you are 12 behind and need a comeback from within your forwards then you need guys like sam, tom and grevsmuhl to fire up. The reason tyrell came never came back on was probably more to do with the change to the interchange plan and injuries. Mcinnes had to stay on as lock whem sam came of injured, possibly mcinnes was going to finish the game at hooker with tyrell back on for cook or something similar, plus siolo only played 10 before being injured meaning grevsmuhl had to go back on to finish the game for him etc. I
I'm pretty sure Siolo didn't come off injured; it was a tactical interchange. I still think if you can't trust a guy like Tyrell to add anything substantive to the team, especially when you are losing, then there is no point playing them. You basically shouldn't have to hook him in order to bring someone like Nathan Brown on; it is a waste of a spot on the team.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I'm pretty sure Siolo didn't come off injured; it was a tactical interchange. I still think if you can't trust a guy like Tyrell to add anything substantive to the team, especially when you are losing, then there is no point playing them. You basically shouldn't have to hook him in order to bring someone like Nathan Brown on; it is a waste of a spot on the team.

Well if the big guns on big money like sam or tom had started the game with a bit of passion or at least interest then you wouldn't need brown on so early

ThingFish

Juniors
This has come up before Thingfish, i don't think people realize just how big a deal this is and how destabilizing that whole incident is. In fact a few on here think what madge done was a good thing.

Well Madge's whole thing was family and brotherhood. IMO he just outed himself as a scared hypocrite. Also IMO Madge can get Fncked, and Richo's number one priority is finding us a coach that isn't mentally Fncked in the head. Last year I defended Madge against the sh!t that Stewart was releasing to the media, but now it's kinda like I have to believe all the crap from last year now.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Get that up ya alien aka rabbits 20! Long live the wests tigers.
Which team will u follow now lol? Must be hard watching your beloved wests tigers smash the team u supposedly follow

To all the GENUINE souths supporters. Hope your team can rise above this form slump

I am not alien.

I am R20.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Goodwim has a go. No one disputes this
But It's the only thing he brings to the table.
Is he the reason we are losing games, no, but that means he's lack of threat in attack or problems in defence aren't a problem for the team
Jeff Robson has a go, shaun femsom has a go etc, jeez even someone like jason clark has a go.

Goodwin is playing so much better than Auva'a.

Auva'a will be dropped soon.

Goodwin breaks lots of tackles too and has a good step.

Rabbits20

Immortal
This has come up before Thingfish, i don't think people realize just how big a deal this is and how destabilizing that whole incident is. In fact a few on here think what madge done was a good thing.

We don't know the facts.

It could be false most of what's being reported.

Clark had to be dropped though. He knocks on far too much and at critical times.

I like Clark but even I would have dropped him.

DiegoNT

First Grade
We don't know the facts.

It could be false most of what's being reported.

Clark had to be dropped though. He knocks on far too much and at critical times.

I like Clark but even I would have dropped him.

Dropping him is one thing.
If the story about him having to cancel his kids christening is true then it's something else entirely

Latest posts