What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Canterbury @ Suncorp Stadium

minto has been ok, but there has been times where he completley f**ked up. twice against parra (one of the times he deadset tripped over, lucky it was over the tryline) and a huge mistake against the dragons when he pretty much gave the ball to a dragons player and they scored.

ethos

Live Update Team
I've been happy with Minto's progress this year. As others have said he's never going to be a flashy player, he is a solid reliable no-frills guy. A decent back-up winger.

Despite being one of Darren Smith's biggest fans I don't want him playing for the Broncos anymore. He may be better short term, but playing a youngster would be more beneficial long term. If we don't play them, they'll simply pack up and leave for lack of first grade opportunity.

Looking forward to the match. We won't have a better chance to beat the Bulldogs.

Striker

Juniors
As someone said earlier D. Smith is there for experience. These younger guys have been vital to our success this season coming off the bench and playing with enthusiasm. They are young and will feature more around origin time. Let's go broncos!

Broncodroid

Juniors
Broncos media release said:
Underdogs won't lack bite: Bennett
by Scott Dickson
Saturday May 07, 2005

BRONCOS’ coach Wayne Bennett is expecting a potential match-winning performance from underdog’s Canterbury tomorrow despite the contrasting condition of the Bulldogs’ decimated engine room compared to Brisbane’s all-powerful forward pack.

Bennett said his side had no advantage heading into the Suncorp Stadium showdown regardless of the Bulldogs missing an irreplaceable trio of International forwards against a Broncos starting pack of 881 first grade games.

Talented Kiwi lock Sonny Bill Williams and Kangaroo forwards Mark O’Meley and Willie Mason are the painful absences from a Bulldogs outfit facing the monumental task of shutting down props Shane Webcke and Petero Civoniceva, second-rowers Brad Thorn and David Stagg, lock Darren Smith and hooker Barry Berrigan.

This vacancy of defensive armour and go-forward for the third straight week means the Bulldogs’ starting forward line-up has again been emptied of 19 Tests of experience against a Broncos scrum filled with 45 of the same ingredient.

Second-rower Reni Maitua and props Roy Asotasi and Nate Myles will join mainstays of lock Tony Grimaldi, NSW second-rower Andrew Ryan and hooker Corey Hughes in a scrum boasting 539 first-grade games less than their Broncos counterparts.

The Broncos hard men, unlike Canterbury’s, have been able to build form and subsequently lay the platform for their backs due to their lack of injury problems.

Of the eight Broncos forwards, Webcke, Civoniceva, Thorn and Parker all average well over 100 metres per game while Asotasi is the only Canterbury forward to manage the same stat.

“Whether we’ve got size advantage or any other advantage is not going to work for us,” Bennett said today of his Broncos whose starting forwards total 613kg and 1115cm compared with Canterbury’s 592kg and 1095cm.

“I don’t know if we’ve got an advantage or not, I just know we have to play hard for 80 minutes.

“They’ll be hard here tomorrow, we’ve got our hands full.”

Another factor worrying Bennett is that Canterbury requires Ryan, Maitua, winger Hazem El Masri and playmaker’s Brent Sherwin and Braith Anasta to back-up from Friday’s City-Country clash.

“When you are a champion club and you’ve got good people they try and find a little something to dig a little deeper and that’s my concern tomorrow,” said Bennett of Canterbury, who was thumped 32-6 by Newcastle last year after six players backed up from Gosford’s City-Country fixture. “As a team they’ve got an opportunity tomorrow to come here and upstage us.

“That’s what they’ll be on about right now and they’ll see that as a real positive for them to be able to put themselves in that position to do that.”

Canterbury have not been given the same level of confidence by leading betting agency Unitab Sportsbet, with the ninth-placed Bulldogs priced at $3.25 to overcome a Broncos ($1.30) side looking every bit of premiership-winning material after winning four on the trot.

Bennett however was not getting carried away with the Broncos form reversal, which began following there 50-4 embarrassment at the hands of Melbourne in round four.

“It’s (training) been pretty good, a team that’s won four in a row there’s always a bit of confidence around the place,” Bennett said of the Broncos smooth week at training.

“I wouldn’t compare us to anything right now, we haven’t done enough.

“We’ve won six out of eight games (and) we’ve got sixteen to go, talk to me at the end of the year about what we’ve done.”

Bennett also confirmed Darren Lockyer’s ambition to rectify his poor 2005 goal-kicking percentage of 53% and subsequently fill the Broncos sharpshooter void left by 2005 Huddersfield winger Michael Devere.

“He’s a perfectionist, he doesn’t like failure,” Bennett said of his captain five-eighth, who is last on the goal-kicking percentage column after landing only 25 goals from 47 attempts.

“He’s been given plenty of opportunities to take the responsibility away from himself but he doesn’t want to do that.”

Bennett commented on his possible decision as coach to hand the kicking-tee over to the club’s second-string kicker Corey Parker if he felt Lockyer’s form was a threat to the team’s success.

“If it’s got to be made I’ll make it, but he’ll make it before me,” he said.

“He doesn’t want the team to fail either so he’s not going to do things that would jeopardise the team, he’s a wonderful team player and always has been.”

The Broncos side to play the Bulldogs is as per program with interchange forward Darren Mapp clear to play after overcoming a mid-week virus.

Brisbane Broncos: Karmichael Hunt; Scott Minto, Justin Hodges, Shaun Berrigan, Leon Bott; Darren Lockyer, Brett Seymour; Darren Smith, Brad Thorn, David Stagg; Petero Civoniceva, Barry Berrigan, Shane Webcke; Interchange: Corey Parker, Casey McGuire, Neville Costigan, Darren Mapp.

Interesting comments on the goalkicking of Lockyer...do not right off a champion player is my tip to the doubters as I said a week ago in a thread questioning our champion five-eight. If Lockyer is keen to turn his form around with the boot, I think we will see a lot of 'egg on faces' by seasons end.

Look forward to the game.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Great game!

Brisbane absorbed alot of pressure early and did brilliantly to only be trailing by 6 going into half time. We turned over far too much ball and were made to make a hellova' lot more tackles than the Dogs. We looked a tired team heading to the sheds.

Canterbury were unlucky not to be awarded a try in the opening 5 minutes, how we got the penalty and not Canterbury left me scratching my head.

A few things from the match:

- Leon Bott; what a finisher we have on the wing here. Give him an opportunity and he is going to convert for us. A great find for us. The only thing is I would like to see him more involved scooting from dummy half.

- Darren Lockyer; quiet in the first half as we were starved of possession though like ALL great players do, came back strong. Kicked brilliantly, steered the ship and produced the magic too turn the game on 2 occasions when needed. Outplayed Anasta, the games greatest player INCLUDING Andrew Johns in the calculations.

- Shane Webcke; the big man just kept coming! The Dogs would of been sick of the sight of him. We are gonna' reap the rewards with Webcke not donning the QLD jersey mid season.

- Karmichael Hunt; made a silly error first up but didn't let it bother him, very Lockyer-like in demeanor at a young age. Got involved, scored a great try that levelled the scores.

Overall, scrappy effort, though the great teams can play below their best and still beat a classy team....we did that today.

Canterbury's young forwards were impressive, as was Utai on the wing who barring one error was just about their best with Andrew Ryan who provided us with headaches with the ball and in defence.

Scott Minto was good in spurts and what impressed me the most was ALL contributed perhaps barring Mapp.

5 in a row, we are in great position heading into Origin once more!

Latest posts