What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Dogs

BBTB

Juniors
possm
Surely your post should have been in pink text?

That side has no underlying foundations to even suggest it would win enough games to avoid bottom 4 let alone make top 4.

What are the key points and supporting information that make you believe that your side is capable of finishing top 4?

De Bein has not played for 2.5 years and would not be physically ready for full time footy for many weeks.

One Feagai is about to debut and the other has a few games with no real impact thus far (to be expected so not having a go at him)

Sullivan yet to play a handful of games let alone against high quality opposition.

Ramsey as a full time 1st grade FB is purely hypothetical and again he has a handful of games on the wing and has made plenty of mistakes (again to be expected so not having a go at him either)

Ben Hunt yet to show he can string a couple of high quality games together let alone half a seasons or mores worth.

Love your passion but have to say IMO you are dreaming.
It's always good to dream. Let's just let Hook, take care of reality... After all that's why, he gets the big bucks...

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Mate, you finally get to see both your Fegai boys take the field this weekend! I hope they are up for it!
Dufty playing out of his skin and to his full potential is the only way we even get near the top 4. Forget about Ramsey at fullback for this year.
Hopefully people realise that one Feagai has never played a game of FG the other only 3 or so don’t scrutinise every little error they make. It will be more, can they handle the physicality? Do they have a bit of speed/footwork? generally do they have early signs they could make NRL players. I’m not expecting miracles.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes, Happy Mothers' Day to all you Mums. A big hug to my beautiful wife for being such a terrific mum for my boys even though she isn't a footy nut like me.

The way the games are going, the teams in the bottom 11 on the ladder can all account to each other in any round, the same for the top 5. So in saying this, whichever team does not turn up on the day to play, then they can expect to be beaten by a team below them.

Out of the last 3 games we played we got done by 2 of the teams below us and the other was equal on the ladder but just ahead on F/A.

We have got to avoid this by beating the Bulldogs who over the years have been our nemesis and a team I truly despise.

Go you Mighty Dragons!! Make sure you play tough and strong all afternoon.

blacksafake

First Grade
We have the uncanny ability to make middle of the road players play like greats against us.
Today it’s one of Hopoate, Elliott,DZW or Waddell who’ll lift against us. It happens to often for my liking.
On another note if Sims can’t terrorise Flanagan today then he should give it up.
Also Kerr on the other side too.

Dion

Juniors
We have the uncanny ability to make middle of the road players play like greats against us.
Today it’s one of Hopoate, Elliott,DZW or Waddell who’ll lift against us. It happens to often for my liking.
On another note if Sims can’t terrorise Flanagan today then he should give it up.
Unfortunately I think you're right.
Watching the Tigers play last night, they conceded a mountain of points which has been their norm this year.
We on the other hand could not score more than 8 points last weekend and struggled.
The Tigers new blond kid with the mullet was made to look like a state of origin winger against us yet yesterday he was rubbish.
Parramatta look like serious premiership contenders since they lost to us yet we crushed them some few weeks ago.
It's easy to use the word "inconsistent" but I still don't get it.
Perplexing.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors

I watched last weekends game 3 times this week and the thing I came away with was :
* dropped/lost ball in our our half so many times giving the Tigers soooooo much ball and they could only score three tries with two questionable.
* after the 25th (or so) minute of the game we stopped getting the ball 2 or three passes wide of the ruck and returned back to our 1 up hit ups. This allowed the tigers forwards not have to move to far. This is a issue with our game plan.
* Our passing from dummy half was terrible. Amc needs to pass the ball in front of the ball runner. we too often passed the ball behind the runner, necessitating the runner to stop and then have no go forward to hit the line.
* The Tigers slowed our play the ball down by keeping their hands on our players trying to play the ball. We don't do this and the Tigers had fast lay the ball all the time.

lastly, the Stat of missed tackles is very deceiving, many of the 40+ missed tackles occurred when we knocked a ball runner down without holding onto them. In most cases another defender quickly shutdown the play.

For me our defence is going quite ok, however we are having to do more than our opposition each week.

Oh, and Norman is not a 5/8 and is not first grade standard. Clunne has had much more impact than Norman, more try assist, better kicking game, and brings more structure.

Our coaches need to drop Norman now.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I watched last weekends game 3 times this week and the thing I came away with was :
* dropped/lost ball in our our half so many times giving the Tigers soooooo much ball and they could only score three tries with two questionable.
* after the 25th (or so) minute of the game we stopped getting the ball 2 or three passes wide of the ruck and returned back to our 1 up hit ups. This allowed the tigers forwards not have to move to far. This is a issue with our game plan.
* Our passing from dummy half was terrible. Amc needs to pass the ball in front of the ball runner. we too often passed the ball behind the runner, necessitating the runner to stop and then have no go forward to hit the line.
* The Tigers slowed our play the ball down by keeping their hands on our players trying to play the ball. We don't do this and the Tigers had fast lay the ball all the time.

lastly, the Stat of missed tackles is very deceiving, many of the 40+ missed tackles occurred when we knocked a ball runner down without holding onto them. In most cases another defender quickly shutdown the play.

For me our defence is going quite ok, however we are having to do more than our opposition each week.

Oh, and Norman is not a 5/8 and is not first grade standard. Clunne has had much more impact than Norman, more try assist, better kicking game, and brings more structure.

Yeah as Hook said we need to improve our attack. They say the best form of defence is attack and I would agree. Namely holding the ball and keeping the ball for as long of a period as you can.

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Coach, captain preview: Heritage Round v Bulldogs

TEAM LISTS

Updated
Presented By

NRL late mail: Heritage Round v Bulldogs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sun 9 May 2021, 03:01 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has finalised his 17 ahead of the Dragons' Round 9 clash against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah on Sunday, May 9.

Mat Feagai and Talatau Amone will become St George Illawarra players No. 245 and 246 after being named for their NRL debuts.

Mat Feagai replaces Cody Ramsey on the wing, after the latter succumbed to a rib injury suffered in the Dragons' last start loss to the Wests Tigers.

Development player Amone will make his first grade debut from the interchange, one week after playing in the Illawarra Steelers' SG Ball grand final loss.

Adam Clune and Poasa Faamausili are the other players to make way from Tuesday's initial 21-man squad.

This weekend, St George Illawarra will help kick-start the centenary celebrations of one of its founding clubs, St George, in what the club has dubbed Heritage Round.

St George Illawarra will don the 'blood and bandages' (red and white hoops) jersey worn by the inaugural St George Dragons team of 1921.

St George DRLC will also unveil four new inductees to the walk of fame located outside of Netstrata Jubilee Stadium as part one of several initiatives to come throughout 2021.

In other team news, Zac Lomax (dislocation thumb) is out, his centre void filled by Tyrell Fuimaono.

The Knock Out Effect Cup Dragons will act as a curtain-raiser when they tackle Mounties at 1:40pm.

Final NRL team for Round 9 v Bulldogs –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
20. Mat Feagai – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by Floormania
5. Max Feagai – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by TripADeal
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
9. Andrew McCullough – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox and Jones
11. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Josh McGuire – sponsored by TLE Alexandria

Interchange:
15. Billy Burns – sponsored by Deicorp
16. Daniel Alvaro – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
17. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
19. Talatau Amone – sponsored byCMG Audio Visual

18th man: 18. Jackson Ford – sponsored by TLE Alexandria

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/05/08/nrl-team-announcement-heritage-round--v-bulldogs/

LINESPEED

Juniors
Yeah as Hook said we need to improve our attack. They say the best form of defence is attack and I would agree. Namely holding the ball and keeping the ball for as long of a period as you can.

Yeah in the old days our forwards used to attack as a unit with short offloads & at least 2-3 players backing the runner

... like the Pommies & All Blacks do.

ATM we watch a single ballrunner for 4 tackles

The offload disrupts the defence & probably leads to most tries?

Gareth67

First Grade
Confident of a win today , however to do so the team must keep their mistakes to the absolute minimum and have our key man in Hunt , McCullough , Simms and McGuire all firing .

The Bulldogs seem to have the wood on the Dragons in each of our last few meetings , so we cannot afford to give them any opportunities whatsoever . Should the Big Red V get their defense back to where it was against Parramatta then they will take the 2 competition points .