What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs. Eels Discussion + Voting

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Expect to see bombs from Prince and Wallace.

And would be nice to see Wallace not just bombing but grubber kicking into the ingoal and maybe try feigning a kick on the 5th and passing it out.
At least get them second guessing FFS on the 5th!

Quietly confident on this one but our forwards have to make amends for last week.

unbreaK

Juniors
Hodges, Stagg, McGuire all passed fitness tests today, expecting the lineup on game day to be -

1) Norman
2) Hoffman
3) Reed
4) Hodges
5) Kahu
6) Prince
7) P.Wallace
8) Hannant
9) McCullough
10) Thaiday
11) Glenn
12) Gillett
13) Parker

14) Hunt
15) McGuire
16) Stagg
17) Hala

Bretto

Bench
To anyone who has ever said Prince shouldn't be in the side; get a clue.

What.

I'll post some more thoughts tomorrow, but that was without a doubt the worst refereeing performance I've seen in years. Ashleigh Klein was absolutely horrible.

ggmu

Juniors
The best part of that game was McGuire coming in throwing them lol I know it was a stupid play but I got to say I loved it.

renouf

Juniors
The referring was ordinary, yes. We are a better side with Prince out there. Wallace still looks hopeless in attack.

Chainshada

Juniors
Haha yeah..reminded me of the Josh McGuire that gave Denan Kemp a black eye and broken nose just from his effort to get up quickly.

Do you really think Prince would have stopped those 3 tries? Hunt was involved in 2 of ours and scored 1..this from a guy who has barely had a chance to play in the halves since he started.

Last edited:

AceAv

Juniors
I wont lie and say that wasnt a thoroughly entertaining game that had me on the edge of my seat.

but f**kING HELL! -there were some really key moments in there that we just plain were on the wrong end of.

1st lets break down the Parker conversions. He had 2 shots from the same spot. Should NEVER have missed the 2d one. He re adjusted the 2d shot, but just seemed to rush it. 10-10 went begging.

2d was the missed chances (2 or more IMO around the 30m mark when eels kept turning the ball over). Just poor execution and lack of creativity to break through or at LEAST build pressure.

3d was the 39th minute. Penalty broncs on the 30m line 15 in from touch. We needed to go for the kick or kick it dead. Our attack at the line was ordinary and I wont even go into why *cough Wallace cough.

Instead we give the ball away, a penalty and the eels get 1 point going in the sheds....

Fair enough 13-8 -not the end of the world....

Eels score their next try through a horrible arm grab that never needed to be rushed but the Broncs do well to stay composed and get back into the game with Hunt brilliance (finally).. 12-17

But the 4th f**kup was unforgivable. We FINALLY get back into the game in the 60-65th and the Broncs smash eels on defense only to let them race up on the 5th plant a ball into Normans hands only to have him decide to pass a nothing ball to Kahu and gift the eels possesion leading to that head scratcher penalty to push it out to 12-19.

Hodges does amazingly to get us back to 1 point left and then it was like Wallace didnt know wtf to do on 3 occaisons. We got overly creative and did some risky plays when all we needed to do was smash them for metres and land a field goal. Hunt, Norman and Wallace are capable of kicking these and I was so disgusted to see us not even try.

Horrible choices made by Wallace and very biased refs with the whistle along with hopeless conversions and just a general lack of wanting to win that game no matter what.

3. Hunt
2. Reed
1. Parker

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I am f**king filthy. The most filthy I've been after a loss in a very long time. We were playing average, that much is a given, but for the Eels to get the legup that they did from Ashley Klein is the biggest joke. That merkin needs to be taken behind the sheds and shot square between the eyes. Anyone who questions Princes role in the side now is doing so out of sheer stubborn ignorance.

Just as I predicted, Wallace was like a WWII Bomber with a geniused pilot; plenty of bombs and no clue. Also, we have a goal kicking crisis at the club. 3 flunked goal kicks decided the game, ultimately.

Seriously, I hope Daniel Anderson flies up to Red Hill and apologizes on all fours. Disgraceful.

Big Pete

Referee
Frustrating performance, feel like spitting the dummy and kicking a million cats but know it isn't going to do me any good in the long run.

Just thought the Broncos were too soft at times. Players like Hodges and Norman took some really soft options and McCullough just took some dopey ones which halted our momentum.

Eels wanted to get spanked out there tonight, but we just didn't have the right attitude.

Refs. were bad, but we were worse.

austyphoon

Juniors
I don't know what to say......That was one of the worst games I have seen the Broncos play.

54% possession and 40 less tackles against one of the worst teams in the comp and we can't win.

There are some sides down the bottom of the ladder that can be forgiven due to injuries and playing rosters but the Broncos HAVE to be one of the most disappointing teams in the competition. With the rep players we have in the side we are completely underwhelming.

We are boring and predictable. When someone makes a half break there is NO ONE backing up, NO ONE looking for the offload, like a Slater.

I am too scared to think where we might end up on the ladder at the end of the year.

Wallace's bombs are nothing plays. Maybe we get 1/10 when a player misses the bomb but at no point do we EVER consider getting repeat sets. There was no pressure on those bombs at all bar 1 or 2.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
I Bleed Maroon said:
Anyone who questions Princes role in the side now is doing so out of sheer stubborn ignorance.

Always hard to argue speculations but I don't think Prince would have made a difference all things even. Perhaps our passing would have been more fluent but our defence would have suffered too. The only positive I could see him making is that the Broncos wouldn't have had to completely shuffle the side around so Macca could take a ten minute break at the end of the game.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Always hard to argue speculations but I don't think Prince would have made a difference all things even. Perhaps our passing would have been more fluent but our defence would have suffered too. The only positive I could see him making is that the Broncos wouldn't have had to completely shuffle the side around so Macca could take a ten minute break at the end of the game.

Our defense suffered anyway. That try under the posts for the Eels was soft, soft, soft.

Big Pete

Referee
Sadly, it could have been worse.

Eels were killing us on that fringe until Hunt shifted there. I don't think it's coincidental and Hunt came up with some good plays in defence.

gUt

Coach
Wallace's bombs are pretty ordinary but they'd be a hell of a lot better if there were Broncos interested in chasing them and catching them.

Hodges was off tonight so our attack plan A went out the window.

Refs were awful but let's not kid ourselves, the Eels got a few dud calls against them too. Unfortunately the Sandow gift 2 points for... whatever it was for... was what decided the game.

Also, when are the Broncos going to find a decent goal kicker?! We haven't had one since De Vere.

So frustrating that we scored more tries but lost the game.

Chainshada

Juniors
I seriously have no idea how anyone can say, based off previous games, that Prince would have been better than Hunt tonight. Hunt was magnificent in defense(the attempt on Paulo was soft, but if half the team didn't miss Sandow he wouldn't have had to rush over), and more creative than I've seen Prince all year..The only thing Prince has over Hunt is execution, and he damn well should have that, with a full pre-season and 8 games in the halves.

We should have had that game in the bag..Macca and Norman were piss-poor, Gillett showed nothing special and use of the bench was questionable.

gUt

Coach
That f**king pass from Norman, what a brain fart. Brisbane were surging, winning the field position battle and ready to take the lead. Hoffman would have had us back to at least the 40m line on that run. So why the f**k does Norman decide to throw it to the rookie... sorry not TO him, BEHIND him.

And even though it was probably a knock-on, it was another 50/50 that went against us.

gUt

Coach
FMD over in the Parra forum they're claiming the refs were playing for us. Hello.

Newtowneel

Juniors
My broncos supporting wife and I went tonight. She was stunned by the goal kicking. I was stunned by the sight of hodges berating your rookie winger...can't do much for his confidence. It was an entertaining match but I know I will be watching her cheer her broncos on a lot more than watching the eels win