What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs the Sharks

mxlegend99

Referee
Unbelievable. How could anyone think our chances at keeping Burton aren't better if he plays centre?

Not using him at all is the best way to guarantee he leaves. What reason does he have to stay? We're saying he only covers one position and injuries are the only chance he will get in the NRL and his form is irrelevant as he is only ever keeping jerseys warm. No future here

He might prefer to play 6 or 7. But I am certain he would happily play anywhere at this stage of his career rather than not at all. He might be open to other offers. But if we develop him as a centre and use him as our backup half he atleast has a reason to stay. Or think twice before leaving

I also dont see how our very average at best reserve grade winger who hasnt played footy in months is going to be any better at filling in at centre than Burton would be. We have been training with him at centre, he has played footy more recently and centre is a position where halves skills often translate well to. It's crazy to put MWZ anywhere near our team unless there's no other option.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Unbelievable. How could anyone think our chances at keeping Burton aren't better if he plays centre?

Not using him at all is the best way to guarantee he leaves. What reason does he have to stay? We're saying he only covers one position and injuries are the only chance he will get in the NRL and his form is irrelevant as he is only ever keeping jerseys warm. No future here

He might prefer to play 6 or 7. But I am certain he would happily play anywhere at this stage of his career rather than not at all. He might be open to other offers. But if we develop him as a centre and use him as our backup half he atleast has a reason to stay. Or think twice before leaving

I also dont see how our very average at best reserve grade winger who hasnt played footy in months is going to be any better at filling in at centre than Burton would be. We have been training with him at centre, he has played footy more recently and centre is a position where halves skills often translate well to. It's crazy to put MWZ anywhere near our team unless there's no other option.

MWZ won’t be playing the centre’s. Naden will go into the centres if Whare isn’t fit.

betcats

Referee
As well as Jerome is playing atm is no one else concerned by his lack of a running game this season? He hasn’t been effective running the ball imo. Even on the weekend despite him being one of our best there were things he could’ve done better. We created overlaps numerous times with that kikau decoy and at least twice Jerome got the ball and hesitated and then ended conceding a tackle. It was dead obvious he either had to fire a quick pass out to Crichton or sauce or go right to the line and draw the defence to him before getting the pass away, there was space for days outside him. Both times Jerome could see the space and thought about passing but then he hesitates, skips around a bit and gets tackled, all momentum stops. His kicking game is great and he has good vision but he really needs to start playing closer to the line, he’s got massive weapons in kiks and Critta. And I’d love to seem him back his running game a bit more.

age.s

First Grade
A 2-5 of Mansour, Crichton, Burton and Naden is very risky selection defensively. The Sharks are red hot right now and they'd have plenty of targets to aim at if we went down that road. Whare is the best selection this week imo.

While I think Burton is a gun, the fact is he's a young kid who'd make most first grade sides in a position we don't have open. If a club wants to throw the chequebook and a starting spot at him there's not going to be much we can do. That said, if not getting picked out of position in a big game when we're 2nd on the ladder and have multiple experienced options in the position is the difference between him staying and going then I'm willing to wear it. We don't need an ego like that.

age.s

First Grade
As well as Jerome is playing atm is no one else concerned by his lack of a running game this season? He hasn’t been effective running the ball imo. Even on the weekend despite him being one of our best there were things he could’ve done better. We created overlaps numerous times with that kikau decoy and at least twice Jerome got the ball and hesitated and then ended conceding a tackle. It was dead obvious he either had to fire a quick pass out to Crichton or sauce or go right to the line and draw the defence to him before getting the pass away, there was space for days outside him. Both times Jerome could see the space and thought about passing but then he hesitates, skips around a bit and gets tackled, all momentum stops. His kicking game is great and he has good vision but he really needs to start playing closer to the line, he’s got massive weapons in kiks and Critta. And I’d love to seem him back his running game a bit more.

Yeah. Pre season I'd have had running game down as his strength with defense down as his weakness. Its looking very much the other way round atm.

franklin2323

Immortal

Naden centre. MWZ wing

So no Naden/Crichton are decent enough centres.

Defending on the wing and positioning is important. So MWZ should be next up after Naden

Fangs

Coach
Mutalino and Katoa are the wingers. It is just whether they want Kennedy or Goodwin in the side

I don't know why you'd break up that edge. Especially when you know Dugan will be a totally different style of fullback. Kennedy is no Moylan but he is a decent fill in and has potential to be a regular first grader. Money is on him starting at fullback.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't know why you'd break up that edge. Especially when you know Dugan will be a totally different style of fullback. Kennedy is no Moylan but he is a decent fill in and has potential to be a regular first grader. Money is on him starting at fullback.

Yeah probably do make changes

Fangs

Coach
Yeah probably do make changes

Browsing their forum. Quite a few of them are pissy with Kennedy's errors and apparently doesn't get them off to a good start at the beginning of sets. That would be two areas Moylan would struggle with as well though.

Flashstep

Juniors
I’m glad I’ve set you straight.

It’s not that Luai doesn’t deserve it, it’s simply Burton is going to be the better player and in the two games Cleary was out Burton was the better player. Luai got the start cause he was paired in the halves with in the juniors four years ago.

Lachlan Coote didn’t deserve to get dropped from that cows side but I bet the cows management wish they f**ked him off and extended Ponga.

I understand what you’re trying to say, but I think it is way to soon to compare Burton to Ponga, it’s an easy comparison to make but how many players with all of the talent in the world have come crashing down? Players like Moylan, Cartwright and Dave Taylor could have been anything.

Its far to early to say who out of Luai and Burton will be the better player and have the better career if you ask me. Besides nobody can predict the future, it’s understandable the club is sticking with the guy who trained in the off season as Clearys halves partner if you ask me.

betcats

Referee
I understand what you’re trying to say, but I think it is way to soon to compare Burton to Ponga, it’s an easy comparison to make but how many players with all of the talent in the world have come crashing down? Players like Moylan, Cartwright and Dave Taylor could have been anything.

Its far to early to say who out of Luai and Burton will be the better player and have the better career if you ask me. Besides nobody can predict the future, it’s understandable the club is sticking with the guy who trained in the off season as Clearys halves partner if you ask me.

Yeah but right now Burton projects to be a better player IMO, it might not work out that way but you cannot deny has a lot of talent to go along with his big frame and pretty good athletic ability, he has the composure and time of a very good half when he has played. He has the kicking game and vision and I think he is a better ball player than either of our starting halves. In the pre-season vids Hayden Knowles mentioned him as one of the fittest at the club which only comes with hard work so at this stage he seems to have the right attitude off field.

I think its fair enough that Jerome got first crack but i also think it would be a travesty if we let a talent like Burton go without giving him a chance to play in the side somewhere. Jerome is playing well but not well enough you dont even consider Burton in the plans for the future. If he still wants to take an offer from another club after that then fine, but you have to give him a chance in FG before we can really see who the better player is. In his two games he played with Jerome he looked better IMO, he got the 3 points in our biggest win of the season.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah but right now Burton projects to be a better player IMO, it might not work out that way but you cannot deny has a lot of talent to go along with his big frame and pretty good athletic ability, he has the composure and time of a very good half when he has played. He has the kicking game and vision and I think he is a better ball player than either of our starting halves. In the pre-season vids Hayden Knowles mentioned him as one of the fittest at the club which only comes with hard work so at this stage he seems to have the right attitude off field.

I think its fair enough that Jerome got first crack but i also think it would be a travesty if we let a talent like Burton go without giving him a chance to play in the side somewhere. Jerome is playing well but not well enough you dont even consider Burton in the plans for the future. If he still wants to take an offer from another club after that then fine, but you have to give him a chance in FG before we can really see who the better player is. In his two games he played with Jerome he looked better IMO, he got the 3 points in our biggest win of the season.

What makes you think we want him to go though? Sometimes clubs have no say in these things

Fangs

Coach
Last year it was Luai doing it tough. Stuck behind our halves and he was lucky to even get a bench spot, if Tyrone May wasn't suspended then that spot would have been his.

Now it is Burton's turn. And unfortunately there is no reserve grade. So all these positional options we are discussing carry significant risk since it they have to be tested at first grade level.

Again if there was ever a time to do it then its right now. We are 2nd, facing the Cowboys/Titans in the coming weeks and fast approaching the end of the season...we are running out of time to tinker with our best 17. He hasn't been named in the 21 at all this week so it looks like his only way into first grade is through injury.

chrisD

Coach
Jerome played the same game against that same defense and didnt get the three points
The same game in which he played a half decent second half against a Warriors defence that were dominated by our pack and in the following weeks let in 26, 40 and 50.