What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round One Charge Sheet.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sharks five-eighth Greg Bird, Roosters centre Justin Hodges have been cited to appear before the NRL Judiciary.

Dragons prop, Jason Ryles PREDICTABLY has no case to answer after ridiculously being put on report for an alleged head butt.

Broncos skipper Gorden Tallis and Panthers player Ben Ross were both sin binned for fighting but have not been cited.
Bird was reported for a head slam on Melbourne's Rodney Howe and Hodges for a high tackle on Parramatta fullback Brett Hodgson.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
From League Unlimited:

<table align=center border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=1 class=verydarkpastel width="95%"> <tbody> <tr> <td align=left class=medpastel> Bird to face music, Hodges in the clear</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table align=center border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="95%"> <tbody> <tr> <td align=left colspan=3 width="100%">Written by:Matt Starkey</td></tr> <tr> <td align=left colspan=3 width="100%">17/3/03</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=3></td></tr> <tr> <td align=left width="20%"> EMAIL THIS</td> <td align=left width="20%"> PRINT THIS</td> <td align=left width="60%"></td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=3></td></tr> <tr> <td align=left colspan=3 width="100%">
Teenager Greg Bird could miss Cronulla's round three clash with Brisbane after being charged with a head-slam by the National Rugby League judiciary.
Bird has been slapped with grade two contrary conduct charge by the judiciary after a tackle on Rodney Howe during yesterday's 36-32 loss to the Melbourne Storm at Toyota Park.
He faces a possible one game suspension and with the Sharks having a bye in round two this weekend, the young five-eighth will miss the Broncos game in round three if found guilty.
The news is better though for Sydney Rooster's centre Justin Hodges who has been charged with a grade one careless high tackle. Hodges will not accrue enough points to be suspended even if he contests the charge and is found guilty.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

El Duque

Bench
Tallis should've been charged. Ross was walking away trying to avoid a fight when Tallis the coward started swinging.

Gordy waits till their backs turned.

imported_midas

Juniors
Don,t know about this defence of Ryles and how harmless and ridiculous it was.The fact is he came within 1/100th of a second of missing half the season.Looked to me like he baled out of a Liverpool kiss at the last moment.
Think his management should be having a stern talk with him-not defending him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"Looked to me like he baled out of a Liverpool kiss at the last moment."
Rubbish! He leaned forward and never had any intention of head-butting.

Skandalis was lucky he wasnt decked. The crap he was going with deserved a seeing to.
It seems he only doeshis mouthing off in front of the protective eye of the ref... not in back play where he could be sorted out.

But in fairness, Ryles has brought a lot of this on himself. He had a reputation for losing his cool last year and now he's the subject of sledging every match. He seems more restarined nowadays but he can expect to cop a bit of baiting every match now.

The thing is though, what did Skandalis hope to gain 10 seconds from fulltime? Trying to get a bloke sent-off when the match is over is pretty ordinary.

imported_weasel

Juniors
Yeah no need complaining about the Ryles non-incident, Tallis is the one who's lucky to get off. Totally unprovoked, firstly he should have been sent off and not just sin-binned. Personally I think assault of that nature is far worse than most high tackles, I'd be giving him a six week rest.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For all his whinging over the years, Tallis has had a golden run with the judiciary which started when he survived a real head-butting charge in the mid-nineties.

He was playing for Saints at the time but the judiciary was influenced because he was about to be selected for Qld in the Origin. Gordy was as guilty as sin but the judiciary chairman at the time let him off with a warning and said, "...don't let me see you here again..."

...lol, I still have the newspaper clipping and I'm happy to dig it out f anyone wants the full story posted here.

Gordy is sort of like our fave referee, Billy Harrigan; bullet proof and able to get away with murder. The main difference being that Tallis is actually good at his job.

madas

Juniors
Tallis was well within his rights to smack that Ross tosser. its amazing how so many did not see the cheep shot he put on young Gordon when he was on the ground. only blokes who have never played contact sports go on about a bit of biff. it<u>is</u> a mans game after all and you didnt hear Ross complaining did you?
cheers

V

Vertigo

Gordy is sort of like our fave referee, Billy Harrigan; bullet proof and able to get away with murder.
Not quite Willow. At the least notin this instance.It now seems that the NRL Board, and Chief Excutive David Gallop in particular,are pushing to have Tallis cited...or at least his actions looked into by Jim Hall and the judiciary panel.
I've yet to see the incident, I won't see the game until this coming weekend, so I'll refrain from forwarding my views; but all initial reports direct the finger on Tallis as the "cheap" culprit.
V.
NRL pushes to have Tallis placed on charge

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thats an interesting development Vertigo. Although I think it has a lot to do with a break down of relations between Jim Hall and the NRL. Last year Hall was getting out of control and coming into conflict with the NRL on a number of issues.
Reading between the lines, I'd say there are more than a couple of NRL board members who would mind seeing the back of Jim Hall.

Offcourse it may actually have nothng to do with politics and the NRL may be geniunely trying to clean up the game and clamp down on punch-ups on the field...
emdgust.gif

imported_weasel

Juniors
I will be disappointed if Tallis gets off but from now on they start suspending for similar transgressions. Kinda makes me wonder what those people who think the broncos always get doneby the judiciary are on about:(.

Where I think the Gimp should have been charged was the fact that although he may have been in some wayaggrevated prior, he stood up thought about it &amp; then did it anyway. Attempting to justify it because "it's a mans game" or because "he hurt me first" kind subtracts from the guys intellect. Heat of the momment I understand but if you watch the whole peice he pauses before he does anything.

The second crap call to come out of this is the fact that a precident has now been set. No ref has the right to report a 1 on 1fight as it has now been shown to be merely a binning offence. Given the stance the NRL has taken on violence in AND around the game in the last few years I found this whole thing a backward step that is their (NRL) own fault for having blown up in the media.

imported_JoeD

Juniors
The NRL have never been big on punishing punch ups. The last two I remember, Campion v Webke and Monty v some dogs player, both went unpunished in terms of the judiciary (i can't recall whether they even got sin binned or not)

imported_midas

Juniors
Dont know why the Herald ran that headline.Further into the article it makes it quite clear that the NRL have no power to cite Tallis.Just another example of the declining standards at the SMH.
It does raise a valid point,though.There were just as many punches thrown by Lyon and Fitzgibbon.The only difference was that most of them missed and those that landed wouldn,t have knocked a chop off a plate.
Actually both of them looked so inept at the fighting caper they might make ideal opponents for Mundine.

As if Mundane would take on real athletes. The only footy players I could even fathom him asking would be the likes of Sterlo, Kenny, Cronin etc. I'd have mentioned Grothe or Ray "greatestthereeverwas" Price but I think they'd still do an Ottke on him... ;)

Wayne Bennett said: 'The boys are out there, it's a fierce contest and in the heat of the moment boys will be boys.' They threw a couple of punches, no one got hurt, the crowd loved it and the game went on."

...and that's 'nuff said!
'fan-baller

Not to a tuff SOB footy player mate.
Remember the calibre of G. Miller, L. Davidson, S. Roach....
They don't make 'em like they use to.
'fan-baller