What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roy Master’s article

SGMax

Juniors
I think Roy Masters is insinuating that the plyers deliberately sabotaged the whole season...that makes a lot of sense considering the lack of effort many of them put in..they were still happy to receive full payment for what was a totally incompetent performance all year

Yes I agree and its good to find out why it was such a bad result.
The article is a little contradictory though ....at first suggesting the boycott was considered as a show of support then stating that some players performed poorly because of the disruptive presence of JDB and also blaming influence from players partners who didn't want the club to support JDB.

In recent times, the Dragon's strengths have been their forwards and their defence.
Neither where evident this year so something was not right as I don't think the roster warranted such a deterioration.

A lot of fans and members are probably wishing most of the side had gone on strike.

Not having a team to coach seems like a good reason to let Mary go.

then again, knowing your board and bj, they would probably extend his contract and give him a pay rise.

yeah I know, it’s not funny because it’s real.

things are fekked for you guys and everyone is pissing on your back telling you it’s raining.

Roy masters is the latest recruit. That’s the end of his credibility.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Given all the expert opinions in this forum, no one posted the Mudgee boycott as a rumour here. Perhaps it was just too spicy to be taken seriously.

Regardless of your view of the entire article, players threatening a boycott is pretty big. Post-war, there have been two other instances of a player 'mutiny' of sorts and both of these were quickly resolved. The difference here is that on the previous two occasions Saints went on to become premiers and grand finalists respectively.

McGregor and co clearly mishandled the whole jdb matter by injecting false expectations into young minds.

Got some bad legal advice. Some lawyer has told them what they wanted to hear and they lapped it up like puppies drinking milk.

Players are supposed to focus on what they can do to win games.

“ we can only focus on ourselves” is the mantra we hear. Then they think they are powerful enough to interfere with nrl policy.

All of a sudden the red v is a hammer and sickle. The players actually thought they could change nrl policy by striking. No chance. They would all be unfairly criticised and probably sued for breaching their contracts.

it reminds me of their outburst in support of Mez.

Poor discipline, the lunatics run the asylum.

Life under the Mary Elite.

Last edited:

BBTB

Juniors
Exactly- If McGregor had any brains and what Roy Masters says is true, he could have used the De Belin suspension as a motivating tool for the players. "Let's do it for Jack' could have been the rallying cry as it often is when teams lose players to long term injury or even due to send off on the day of a match. I fear that Roy may be just another "old boy" protecting mates from his era (like Craig Young) at the club and ignoring the reality of Mary's incredibly poor coaching record as well.
Good point. Graig Young is the reason, we play overs, for players at our club.
He is the "Fly in the ointment......

possm

Coach
Good point. Graig Young is the reason, we play overs, for players at our club.
He is the "Fly in the ointment......
One of the main reason our CEO gave for extending Mary's contract was that Mary would be the best person to handle the JDB fallout with respect to the player squad. Now I ask, why is the CEO and Mary not held accountable with regards to this statement?

I say it is because the deal was done way before the JDB problem. It was part of the WIN Corp buy out negotiations and so, no matter what, Mary was going to be extended. It doesn't matter how the Dragons perform or how incompetent our management is, no one will be held accountable.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Can someone confirm or deny that clubs have a 'cap' for coaching staff etc. I'm sure I read somewhere that there is, but can't find any info on it.

One of the main reason our CEO gave for extending Mary's contract was that Mary would be the best person to handle the JDB fallout with respect to the player squad. Now I ask, why is the CEO and Mary not held accountable with regards to this statement?

I say it is because the deal was done way before the JDB problem. It was part of the WIN Corp buy out negotiations and so, no matter what, Mary was going to be extended. It doesn't matter how the Dragons perform or how incompetent our management is, no one will be held accountable.

Correct.

Mary did say at the end of the season that “everyone at the club is responsible” which basically leaves no place to turn to if one is looking for accountability.

At the time I thought it was another embarrassing Mary-ism but it underscores the management fiasco that is the Mary elite.

They spent 66% of the season making excuses and made hundreds of promises, none of which transpired. In fact the more they tried, the worse it got. According to the ladder, you would have been better off not trying.

This is the paradox in masters weird article. Bj works 16 hours a day and delivered utter crap.

He should have worked 7am to 11am.

The stand down rule is garbage and I agree with the players about that, but if masters was right, the response by striking was a conceited nonsense.

Their job is to shut up and play footy, deal with the hand they get. That’s all they had to do.

Now the ringleader comrades are still there to screw the club over for next year while management cower under a table planning further spin-laden atrocities against the members and fans.

if jdb is found not guilty, he is meant to save the club. No pressure there.

I’m beginning to think, the nrl should take the club over on behalf of the members and fans. Commence the managerial and insurgent player slaughter, get it over with.

Last edited:

18to87

First Grade

Everything you post on here makes sense (not just this post).

So, if Doust negotiated the WIN buyout - should BJ be getting a pass? Does he have a hand tied behind his back? Will we not be able to judge him until he makes a decision on McGregor some time during 2021?

possm

Coach
Everything you post on here makes sense (not just this post).

So, if Doust negotiated the WIN buyout - should BJ be getting a pass? Does he have a hand tied behind his back? Will we not be able to judge him until he makes a decision on McGregor some time during 2021?
B Johnston the outgoing Chairman of the SGI Board - replaced by Andrew Gordon - was appointed head of a committee to find a CEO to replace Doust.

The deals done to secure the SGI shares held by Illawarra at the below market bargain basement price, included some arrangements not normally included in such a deal. So it was decided to scrub the search for an outside CEO and appoint Johnston to the position. This was done on the understanding that he and the Board would honour deals done during the share buyout negotiations.

Johnston has shown his shortfalls in:
  • Failing to secure a deal with the NRL on the JDB matter which would drastically minimise the effect on SGI.
  • Extending Mary's contract using the excuse that Mary would be the best man to manage the potential fallout of the JDB matter.
  • Approving some Millward recruitment decisions that clearly were not sound - Pearson, Ravalawa and the extension of Dufty in early season 2019.
  • The failure to address the very apparent problems Mary was having managing his coaching job in 2019.

B Johnston the outgoing Chairman of the SGI Board - replaced by Andrew Gordon - was appointed head of a committee to find a CEO to replace Doust.

The deals done to secure the SGI shares held by Illawarra at the below market bargain basement price, included some arrangements not normally included in such a deal. So it was decided to scrub the search for an outside CEO and appoint Johnston to the position. This was done on the understanding that he and the Board would honour deals done during the share buyout negotiations.

• Failing to secure a deal with the NRL on the JDB matter which would drastically minimise the effect on SGI.
  • Extending Mary's contract using the excuse that Mary would be the best man to manage the potential fallout of the JDB matter.
  • Approving some Millward recruitment decisions that clearly were not sound - Pearson, Ravalawa and the extension of Dufty in early season 2019.
  • The failure to address the very apparent problems Mary was having managing his coaching job in 2019.

Great post.

It’s a pity that 100% of players are subjected to this blatantly unfair policy due to the conduct of a couple of misfits.

Theres a few rogues in every endeavour in life.

The rest of us are nailed to the cross for their stupidity.

Hopefully jdb is innocent. I have no idea on that.

TruSaint

Referee
Can someone confirm or deny that clubs have a 'cap' for coaching staff etc. I'm sure I read somewhere that there is, but can't find any info on it.

Dont believe so.

From the NRL site.

THE SALARY CAP /
NRL Payments for the top 30
$9.1 million – base salary cap for the Top 30 players. At least 24 Top 30 players must be contracted by 1 November, 29 Top 30 players by 1 March and 30 Top 30 players by 30 June.

$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game

+ $300,000 per team - Paid by the NRL to the RLPA towards players' Retirement Account Contribution.

+ $100,000 per team - Paid by the NRL to the RLPA towards their administration funding.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

In 1980, an iconic Australian film titled " The Club" was released starring Graham Kennedy and Jack Thompson. Loosely based on the Collingwood AFL club in Melbourne, it explored a lot of the issues we're seeing at SGI- factionalism, ego, player revolts, divided Board etc. Could be time for a remake?

In 1980, an iconic Australian film titled " The Club" was released starring Graham Kennedy and Jack Thompson. Loosely based on the Collingwood AFL club in Melbourne, it explored a lot of the issues we're seeing at SGI- factionalism, ego, player revolts, divided Board etc. Could be time for a remake?

Just get a documentary team over to sgi. The script is written and won’t to pay actors.

To be fair, they could do one over at the tigers focusing on the “magnificent” Cleary era.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Final Winter is an excellent movie about Newtown in their final days in the first grade. It was released in 2007. I actually saw it on the big screen with my dad. Well worth watching.

It is an independently produced movie but I understand it now has mainstteam distribution.

IMO, 1980s Rugby League in Sydney actually makes a good drawcard for movies and TV dramas.

“Family first” a play.

Act 1 scene 1

Ivan: I want everybody on the bus. I’m on the bus, what about you boys? The whole club, nrl. Everyone world over, join me on the bus to Tigers glory!

tiger players ( as one): yes, we are all on the bus with you Ivan. You are like a father to us. In fact, you are the best person in the frigging world.

Ivan smiles at them but all he could think about was coaching his real son, the young Nathan.

A storm lashes Campbelltown and a cat meows.

Three pissed young women at the Robin Hood Hotel slip over on the stairwell and somebody gets 4 cleopatras on a Queen of the Nile.

Over at Penrith, the athletic figure of Phil Gould in shadow, is waving a chewed biro in front of the finest chin in the world.

How would he break the news to the boys? By carrier pigeon? Nope, by the time honoured tradition of text message.

Last edited:
Lovely words from Roy Masters, but fine fine words butter no parsnips.

Firstly, Masters spends a lot of time talking about the club as it was - not as it is. Frank Facer was an innovator who made things happen and helped fashion St George into a dominant entity, on and off the field. Once he was gone, however, a host of undeserving wannabe's formed a disorderly cue for a piece of the action. Robert Stone is the last person who I can think of in an administrative position who put the interests of the football team and spectators first. Think R2K,

Masters is a master of spin and an Old Boy, and his piece is a classic case of wallpapering over the cracks. Never once does he mention the below par results on field over the last six (or, more accurately, nine) seasons. Never once does the increasing incidence of "homesickness" which has seen the exodus of players like Widdop, MacDonald and Leeson Ah Mau warrant a mention.

But what he never addresses, in respect of JdB, are his actions *removed*

So keep your pen in your pocket, Roy, and don't bother spinning me any shite about Dragons DNA. Besides, you were coach for six years and never won a Premiership either. In fact, after you coached the only losing St George grand final side in 1985, the following year your Dragons failed to make the semi-finals in any grade for the first time in 50 years. Now, that's a McGregor-worthy achievement!

Birds of a feather flock together, as they say.

Even vultures.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLM01

First Grade
Lovely words from Roy Masters, but fine fine words butter no parsnips.

Firstly, Masters spends a lot of time talking about the club as it was - not as it is. Frank Facer was an innovator who made things happen and helped fashion St George into a dominant entity, on and off the field. Once he was gone, however, a host of undeserving wannabe's formed a disorderly cue for a piece of the action. Robert Stone is the last person who I can think of in an administrative position who put the interests of the football team and spectators first. Think R2K,

Masters is a master of spin and an Old Boy, and his piece is a classic case of wallpapering over the cracks. Never once does he mention the below par results on field over the last six (or, more accurately, nine) seasons. Never once does the increasing incidence of "homesickness" which has seen the exodus of players like Widdop, MacDonald and Leeson Ah Mau warrant a mention.

But what he never addresses, in respect of JdB, are his actions *removed*

So keep your pen in your pocket, Roy, and don't bother spinning me any shite about Dragons DNA. Besides, you were coach for six years and never won a Premiership either. In fact, after you coached the only losing St George grand final side in 1985, the following year your Dragons failed to make the semi-finals in any grade for the first time in 50 years. Now, that's a McGregor-worthy achievement!

Birds of a feather flock together, as they say.

Even vultures.
Harsh..great coach Yes never won a premiership but in 85 pretty unlucky. Warren Ryan (smart?) tactic bombing Burgess all day making us drop out. Slippery down the touch line was it out? and got beaten 7-6
Comparing to McGregor....ha..we were still a pretty resilient and tough side under Roy through his tenure
No way is he comparable and his articles generally show a bit of commonsense and if anything dont reek of bias IMO. Dont have to agree though with everything he writes.

And why should Roy talk about JDB and that night and how or what should of happended. You just had to throw the line judging someone else and stand on the moral soap box comparing yourself to a young man and say what he should and should not do regardless of who he is or his situation.

The other charges stuff will be able to be discussed and mud thrown either side of the fence at a later day when he has his day in court.

Last edited: