What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roy Masters on Gallop's problems

nqboy

First Grade
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you roy Masters, one of the few journos in RL worth his salt.

LINK

DAVID Gallop is a weathervane, twisting in the winds of expectation. The NRL chief executive considers it a cruel observation and is mollified only marginally when it is argued that it's impossible to simultaneously satisfy the competing demands of so many conflicted parties.

After all, at 10.30am today he will meet representatives of NRL players who seek to see the code's income and expenditure flows, which depend upon another meeting later in the day between Telstra and News Ltd, which is a half-owner of the NRL. Telstra has refused to pay up on its $90 million sponsorship/telephony deal with the NRL because News Ltd has undermined the value of the rights by showing NRL action on its website and allowing Fox Sports, which it also half-owns, to do the same. In other words, a part-owner of the code has jeopardised income to its employees by competing with a sponsor.

Gallop agrees Telstra is not having the same fight with the AFL and V8 supercars because they aren't owned by News Ltd. So who is he siding with in two NRL legal actions? He has taken Telstra to the NSW Supreme Court for non-payment of the monies and joined with Telstra against News Ltd in a Federal Court case over how much footage the "fair dealing" provisions of the copyright act allow non-rights holders to show.

"The withholding of our payment is not justified on any legal basis," he says, picking his words carefully, as if they might rebound as he spoke them. "The only way it can be seen is an attempt to exert pressure because of the common ownership of the NRL and Fox Sports. It's a commercial tactic without any legal linkage."

So, of all the winds which buffet Gallop, the only one he answers to is News Ltd? "I was part of the decision to get the NRL to join with Telstra and not join Fox Sports," he says, seemingly affronted. "That demonstrated the independent position of the NRL."

But didn't he first seek approval from the NRL partnership board? "Yes, I got approval from the full partnership to take action against half the partnership," he says, shrugging his shoulders as if someone had just told him the new phone books had arrived.

The other half of the partnership - the Australian Rugby League - has been unsurprisingly mute about both legal cases. ARL chairman Colin Love, a lawyer, believes a dignified silence is the proper way for partnerships to operate. Newspapers are not the forum for boardroom disputes, according to Love. Yet earlier this year, when the Herald raised questions with News Ltd over its future plans to exit the code, News Ltd lampooned ARL directors as dinosaurs, likening them to Japanese soldiers hiding in the jungle, fighting a long-gone war.

ARL director Nick Politis is certainly very overt in the hot furnace blasts he directs Gallop's way via regular phone calls. Politis, a shrewd businessman, warned Gallop Telstra would not pay up. Gallop insists Telstra first offered the "cheque is in the mail" response. "I believe Telstra gave an assurance they would not link the two issues - fair dealing and payment of the contract," he said. "They certainly told us initially the non-payment was an internal accounting problem."

And what about all those ABC callers protesting about live NRL games being moved to Fox Sports 3 in order for the News Ltd-owned company to force subscribers to pay more? Doesn't all this establish it is time for News Ltd to exit the game, despite the Federal Court's Justice Allsop describing criticism of its commercial linkages as "rhetoric"? Gallop says, "I'm the shopkeeper and it's up to the owners to work out their futures. "While there may be some issues around the potential for conflict of interest, for a start people need to imagine a competition without the Cowboys and the Storm, who are supported by News."

But how interested are the players? "[Players' association boss] Matt Rodwell has difficulty confirming the numbers for the meeting," Gallop says.

Yesterday, Gallop was dressed in casual shirt, jeans and riding boots because he was guest speaker at a University of Technology, Sydney, evening lecture. "I didn't think they wanted to see a stiff in a suit," he explained, making it clear he wasn't dressing for the weather, despite any icy questions. Asked the topic, he said, "Sport and the law. Quite appropriate, don't you think?"

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
nqboy said:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you roy Masters, one of the few journos in RL worth his salt.

LINK

DAVID Gallop is a weathervane, twisting in the winds of expectation. The NRL chief executive considers it a cruel observation and is mollified only marginally when it is argued that it's impossible to simultaneously satisfy the competing demands of so many conflicted parties.

After all, at 10.30am today he will meet representatives of NRL players who seek to see the code's income and expenditure flows, which depend upon another meeting later in the day between Telstra and News Ltd, which is a half-owner of the NRL. Telstra has refused to pay up on its $90 million sponsorship/telephony deal with the NRL because News Ltd has undermined the value of the rights by showing NRL action on its website and allowing Fox Sports, which it also half-owns, to do the same. In other words, a part-owner of the code has jeopardised income to its employees by competing with a sponsor.

Gallop agrees Telstra is not having the same fight with the AFL and V8 supercars because they aren't owned by News Ltd. So who is he siding with in two NRL legal actions? He has taken Telstra to the NSW Supreme Court for non-payment of the monies and joined with Telstra against News Ltd in a Federal Court case over how much footage the "fair dealing" provisions of the copyright act allow non-rights holders to show.

"The withholding of our payment is not justified on any legal basis," he says, picking his words carefully, as if they might rebound as he spoke them. "The only way it can be seen is an attempt to exert pressure because of the common ownership of the NRL and Fox Sports. It's a commercial tactic without any legal linkage."

So, of all the winds which buffet Gallop, the only one he answers to is News Ltd? "I was part of the decision to get the NRL to join with Telstra and not join Fox Sports," he says, seemingly affronted. "That demonstrated the independent position of the NRL."

But didn't he first seek approval from the NRL partnership board? "Yes, I got approval from the full partnership to take action against half the partnership," he says, shrugging his shoulders as if someone had just told him the new phone books had arrived.

The other half of the partnership - the Australian Rugby League - has been unsurprisingly mute about both legal cases. ARL chairman Colin Love, a lawyer, believes a dignified silence is the proper way for partnerships to operate. Newspapers are not the forum for boardroom disputes, according to Love. Yet earlier this year, when the Herald raised questions with News Ltd over its future plans to exit the code, News Ltd lampooned ARL directors as dinosaurs, likening them to Japanese soldiers hiding in the jungle, fighting a long-gone war.

ARL director Nick Politis is certainly very overt in the hot furnace blasts he directs Gallop's way via regular phone calls. Politis, a shrewd businessman, warned Gallop Telstra would not pay up. Gallop insists Telstra first offered the "cheque is in the mail" response. "I believe Telstra gave an assurance they would not link the two issues - fair dealing and payment of the contract," he said. "They certainly told us initially the non-payment was an internal accounting problem."

And what about all those ABC callers protesting about live NRL games being moved to Fox Sports 3 in order for the News Ltd-owned company to force subscribers to pay more? Doesn't all this establish it is time for News Ltd to exit the game, despite the Federal Court's Justice Allsop describing criticism of its commercial linkages as "rhetoric"? Gallop says, "I'm the shopkeeper and it's up to the owners to work out their futures. "While there may be some issues around the potential for conflict of interest, for a start people need to imagine a competition without the Cowboys and the Storm, who are supported by News."

But how interested are the players? "[Players' association boss] Matt Rodwell has difficulty confirming the numbers for the meeting," Gallop says.

Yesterday, Gallop was dressed in casual shirt, jeans and riding boots because he was guest speaker at a University of Technology, Sydney, evening lecture. "I didn't think they wanted to see a stiff in a suit," he explained, making it clear he wasn't dressing for the weather, despite any icy questions. Asked the topic, he said, "Sport and the law. Quite appropriate, don't you think?"

Listen to Gallop, a mere News Limited lackey.
"Imaginea competition without the Cowboys or the Storm?" Actually, yes, I can. Didn't bother him when he helped put the knife into the CC Bears.

dimitri

First Grade
No Cowboys - We lost 25,000 fans each week and are left with 2 teams for all of queensland

No Storm - We lost a whole state and the attraction to sponsor the NRL drops considerably

nqboy

First Grade
Rockin Ronny said:
"Imaginea competition without the Cowboys or the Storm?" Actually, yes, I can. Didn't bother him when he helped put the knife into the CC Bears.
Excuse me, but your ignorance is showing.

azza

Juniors
Gallop spoke at my class last night. Have to say, he spoke quite well, as much as people want to give him a hard time here - he was forthright and honest.

The Preacher

First Grade
Rockin Ronny said:

I'm lucky enough to remember a competition without Cronuula !!!

Now THAT was f**king good. :lol:

News Ltd caused great harm to the game thanks to Super League. Somehow the game survived and is now strong again, which is in turn good for News. But now things are starting to swing the other way again. News is now in danger of seriously harming the game again and need to get out.

The Preacher

First Grade
East Coast Tiger said:
News Ltd caused great harm to the game thanks to Super League. Somehow the game survived and is now strong again, which is in turn good for News. But now things are starting to swing the other way again. News is now in danger of seriously harming the game again and need to get out.

Agree 100%, but then again, I've always felt that way.

Never forget - Never forgive !! :x

roy masters is the pinnacle of rugby league writer at the moment. not since the lat Chippy Frinlingos do we have someone writing about the game that knows what is going on. that he is independant from News Ltd means a more negative and honest view of the tentacles that news ltd have wrapped around the game.

the bit where gallop got permission from the full partnership to take legal action against half is funny, but also a sad reflection of how news ltd act against the interests of the game.

and we need both the cowboys and the storm in the NRL. i willing to forgive the cowboys for their SL foray, and melbourne for being owned by news ltd, both are good clubs.

but when a team like cronulla gets stand alone status in the NRL, and illawarra or campbelltown gets 1/2 a team, or central coast no team, you wonder if the game's best interests are being served

East Coast Tiger said:

couldn't agree more.

there is a book on Super League. reading that a couple of years ago brought back a lot of bad memories.

remember mal meninga saying that the ARL had done nothing for him. or laurie daying saying that the arl had treated them like dogs.

also george piggins in his book gives it to news ltd and SL. thats why i have a soft spot for souths. news ltd wanted them out, they had no place standing alone in the NRL.

they told the powers that be to f**k off, standing up for tradition and the little guy. on the back of that, i bought a ST a few years back.

only a sport as good as league could bounce back from SL. AFL or union would die if it happened to them. let AFL enjoy its moment in the sunshine, league is growing on all fronts and is the number 1 footy code in Oz.

Quigs

Immortal
The Preacher said:
I'm lucky enough to remember a competition without Cronuula !!!

Now THAT was f**king good. :lol:

Piss off you old fart....

and I can actually remember back to when the Stains actually won a comp. Memories a bit vague there too, think it was about 30 years ago now...

And I can remember when there was a club called Stain George.

Cheers
Quigs

nqboy

First Grade
azza said:
Gallop spoke at my class last night. Have to say, he spoke quite well, as much as people want to give him a hard time here - he was forthright and honest.
If only he could do that outside the classroom.

nqboy

First Grade
dallymessenger said:
and we need both the cowboys and the storm in the NRL. i willing to forgive the cowboys for their SL foray, and melbourne for being owned by news ltd, both are good clubs.
Gee, thanks mate. That means a lot to us :roll: . No, really, you're the best. Thanks heaps.

The Preacher

First Grade
Quigs said:
Piss off you old fart....

and I can actually remember back to when the Stains actually won a comp. Memories a bit vague there too, think it was about 30 years ago now...

And I can remember when there was a club called Stain George.

Cheers
Quigs

:lol: :lol: Luvya Quigs, couldn't help myself. '79 is after '67 though.

I've got some people on the job re that "spaceman" stunt and should have some news for you soon

bulldog

Bench
He can be as forthright and honest as he likes, doesn't change anything for me. We needed better leadership at the negotiating table, simple as that, we missed out on extra money for mobile and internet rights, we have no deal to force the game into non-heartland areas through either FTA or PayTV (recent rumblings suggest there may be some clause in there but I'd be surprised to see it used), radio rights have become the exclusive domain of a clown again, Telstra and Foxtel are about to go head to head in court over poorly worded contracts and now Telstra are apparently with-holding sponsorship money.

I was a long time Gallop supporter, he did a lot of good things for the game through a period of heavy turmoil, but as someone else pointed out earlier in the year in one of the many Gallop related threads, League was so far down at the time that up was the only way left to go. We need a hard head with no ties to News in the box seat, it will never happen as long as half the board is appointed by a "partner" who's only there to drain money away until they feel they've been adequately compensated for a failed takeover bid.

The Preacher

First Grade
I was just walking up George St. to head office, and who should I run into but Roy Masters.
I've known Roy for many years (circa '80/'81) and he's quite happy about the article and expects quite a bit of discussion to take place when people realise what a jigsaw puzzle the current set up is.

bulldog said:
He can be as forthright and honest as he likes, doesn't change anything for me. We needed better leadership at the negotiating table, simple as that, we missed out on extra money for mobile and internet rights, we have no deal to force the game into non-heartland areas through either FTA or PayTV (recent rumblings suggest there may be some clause in there but I'd be surprised to see it used), radio rights have become the exclusive domain of a clown again, Telstra and Foxtel are about to go head to head in court over poorly worded contracts and now Telstra are apparently with-holding sponsorship money.

I was a long time Gallop supporter, he did a lot of good things for the game through a period of heavy turmoil, but as someone else pointed out earlier in the year in one of the many Gallop related threads, League was so far down at the time that up was the only way left to go. We need a hard head with no ties to News in the box seat, it will never happen as long as half the board is appointed by a "partner" who's only there to drain money away until they feel they've been adequately compensated for a failed takeover bid.

i love gallop but am staring to agree.

our tv deals are pathetic compared to what afl get. the game needed that extra money too. funding is poor across the board

nqboy said:
Gee, thanks mate. That means a lot to us :roll: . No, really, you're the best. Thanks heaps.

i won't get into a debate about a club being around for 5 minutes and betraying the ARL by entering into a rebel competition.

kerrie boustead was disgusted with what went on.

people forget, but all these new teams were invited to play in the NSWRL / ARL competition. it was sydney clubs that made it great. Queensland had its own competition that was light years behind the NSWRL comp., hence the need for queensland teams to be brought in.

the ARL was correct to expand into north queensland, even if the club betrayed them later on

fourplay

Juniors
If News Ltd wasnt in the game.. the NRL would of got better TV deals and surely with all that money they could easily afford to support North QLD + Melb.

mark123

Juniors
as good as the game is now i remain disgusted at whats happening in the administration.

The biggests humiliation for ones such as ourselves, is not that the tv and media deal is such a half-effort (very good but only in a few places), its that the tv deal will last another 5 years.

I remember all this the last time around and they swore they would never step in mud again.

You can't win against incompetence.

Incompetence is a mighty champion, unbeatable and fearsome, for whom not even luck may save, for even luck finds it hard to get lucky around it.

Its like being a kid again perhaps, and you were promised 20 bucks by dad, but your mum has to come to you and tell you that you wont be getting it - the reason: dad spent it on grog and a ho down at the pub....and didnt score.

The only other time i've seen my view like this is back when Optus refused to fork up its dough because someone forgot to sign.....or someone forgot to put an "x" next to the place.....maybe optus planned it, as in a trick....to NOT remind him....sounds like a trick a rugby league official would fall for!!

____ you see, its all the backstabbing and BS that goes on that is too much to get over.....a bit of ink on a piece of paper stopped 15 mil+ going into rl...you'd think that out of good will optus would have offered up....it was a done deal and both parties would have prospered...the lack of a bit of ink cost 15 million.....i find it hard to believe two parties would be so petty driving toward the same cause.....then again, maybe optus knew exactly who they were dealing with.