What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Rumble 2020 Discussion *SPOILERS*

Big Pete

Referee
What did you guys make of the show?

I enjoyed the vast majority of the women's match, except the actual winner. The premise of another Charlotte/Becky showdown feels well and truly played out at this point. It doesn't feel like an Austin/Rock style epic rivalry, rather it feels like Austin/Taker where they just ran it into the ground. Otherwise I thought it was a fantastic showcase for Belair and Baszler, The Divas of Doom reunion was sweet and the Mandy/Otis spot was fantastic. I lost my shit at the reveal, it was really well done.

I liked how different the men's Royal Rumble was with Brock dominating the first half of the match. I thought he was brilliant and his eventual elimination made Drew into a star. I liked how the Rumble then shifted gears and returned into a more traditional match with Edge getting a massive showcase on return. Edge looked in phenomenal shape, and the Rated RKO reunion was a nice parrallel to his wife. I never thought I'd see the day, but when Drew won the fans were actually into it. It took 14 years, but Drew is finally over.

I thought the women's was a very good match, that hit all the right notes until the final moment. I think Charlotte will face Bayley for the title at mania though, it just seemed needless. It undid a lot of what was a great match. Beth is one badass too, that head cut looked pretty nasty.

The men's match was fantastic. Whilst Brock running through half the roster was a little excessive, none of the guys he tossed were really going to win it (Kofi, Rey, Keith Lee & Braun were the only guys with a prayer), and the 4 of them looked okay along with Big E. I was getting really frustrated until the elimination happened, as the payoff was worth it, and left the 7-8 guys with a decent shot to battle it out towards the end. The Edge return, although leaked, was massive (AJ in 2016 and Cena in 2008 are the only two rumble entries that come close to replicating the feeling) and the guy looks good in ring still, whilst seeing him tear up on his way down was great. Edge vs AJ is a dream match over a decade in the making and will be a show stealer at Mania. Although I feel the Drew win was fairly obvious once he took out Brock it was still awesome to see.

Overall I think both rumbles were fantastic and the rest of the show was strong. Excellent PPV.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Charlotte winning was so predictable that I almost laughed out loud at what a lame finish the match actually had.

I get that Vince has his heart set on her being as successful as her father, but Charlotte just isn't Ric Flair. She's not even close. A solid worker who can cut an okay promo, but not deserving of the Cena-esque push she seems able to summon up once every year. Baszler would have been a more interesting winner, especially as she has history with Becky that isn't boring and played out.

Men's Rumble match was terrific. It was a bit disappointing seeing guys like Kofi and Morrison get relatively little time to shine, but it helped to tell the story. Thank God they pulled the trigger on Drew instead of doing the predicted Reigns win.

mackdadday

Juniors
Can't believe they didnt pull the trigger on Becky V Bayzler. Love Charlottes but it sets up absolutely zilch of interest.

Great show. I think not even Vince can deny what he has with Keith Lee now.

Big Pete

Referee
Letting it sink in more, I wouldn't be surprised if Charlotte's win is in name only and Shayna ends up worming her way into the Wrestlemania main event.

My issue isn't so much with Charlotte, but with the way her character is being portrayed. Let her be the best women's competitor on the roster, instead of this silver spoon character who just so happens to find herself in advantageous positions.

It's just a tired played out trope at this point. If you're going to commit, commit to it like they did with Drew.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Letting it sink in more, I wouldn't be surprised if Charlotte's win is in name only and Shayna ends up worming her way into the Wrestlemania main event.

My issue isn't so much with Charlotte, but with the way her character is being portrayed. Let her be the best women's competitor on the roster, instead of this silver spoon character who just so happens to find herself in advantageous positions.

It's just a tired played out trope at this point. If you're going to commit, commit to it like they did with Drew.

I agree with the sentiment, but not the 'best women's competitor' label. I'd argue that Becky Lynch and Asuka are both superior performers. Take away the Flair name and Charlotte is a very good worker, but she wouldn't be getting the consistent Jesus pushes she does.

Big Pete

Referee
I get that, but if the WWE see things differently then they should fully commit instead of undermining her character at every turn. They've made it adamently clear she's undeserving of her push and yet they give it to her anyways because she has the poise of a champion.

It's a crutch and Charlotte has shown on several occassions she doesn't need it to get over.

I get that, but if the WWE see things differently then they should fully commit instead of undermining her character at every turn. They've made it adamently clear she's undeserving of her push and yet they give it to her anyways because she has the poise of a champion.

It's a crutch and Charlotte has shown on several occassions she doesn't need it to get over.

They have ruined several talented women in order to make Charlotte into her dad, Bazler risks being added to that list. Honestly Flair vs any of the four horse women has been done to death and I don't see who else could hold the titles by mania (Becky won't drop hers and apart from Sasha I don't see anyone else on Smackdown beating Bayley anytime soon). I can't see her challenging for the NXT title either.

Big Pete

Referee
They have ruined several talented women in order to make Charlotte into her dad, Bazler risks being added to that list. Honestly Flair vs any of the four horse women has been done to death and I don't see who else could hold the titles by mania (Becky won't drop hers and apart from Sasha I don't see anyone else on Smackdown beating Bayley anytime soon). I can't see her challenging for the NXT title either.

I don't know if they've 'ruined' anybody. They came close with Asuka, but she's far too talented and has come out the otherside as one of the major highlights in Pro Wrestling right now. I'm struggling to think of any other examples.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't know if they've 'ruined' anybody. They came close with Asuka, but she's far too talented and has come out the otherside as one of the major highlights in Pro Wrestling right now. I'm struggling to think of any other examples.

I would agree with that assessment. I wouldn't say she has ruined anybody, but she has definitely had opportunities and title shots so often now that it has become a bit of a running joke.

Meanwhile, people who connect with the crowd on a better level, such as Sasha Banks, seem to be lost in the shuffle.

Ruined may be the wrong word, it took a lot of work to re-establish Asuka.

Bayley one I had in mind, although she was more buried by the diabolical kendo stick match with Bliss than any Charlotte match (it took her years to recover from that, and Sasha also floundered with her for the same time). A course correction on with Becky around Evolution 2018 saved her from disaster (when they originally tried to turn Becky heel and Charlotte face).

I feel like Charlotte over Bazler was a safe decision, and may be a massive swing and a miss, although I'll see where it goes. Having Bazler come to the main roster after dominating the end of the Rumble and winning would have been a proper statement and made her immediately feel like a massive deal on arrival.

Big Pete

Referee
Didn't Charlotte put Bayley over before Alexa came along and ate her lunch? It's been about three years, but I think her fall from grace as well as Sasha's had more to do with the goddess than anyone else.

I don't think Charlotte is a well written character, but I do get the feeling that things are going to play out differently than expected. Whether that means she challenges Rhea or she gets taken out by Shayna I'm not entirely sure, but I'm expecting a twist.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Raw even hinted at the potential for her challenging for the women's tag titles after that confrontation with Asuka & Kairi.

Not sure who she'd partner with. Shayna? >_>

I would agree with that assessment. I wouldn't say she has ruined anybody, but she has definitely had opportunities and title shots so often now that it has become a bit of a running joke.

Meanwhile, people who connect with the crowd on a better level, such as Sasha Banks, seem to be lost in the shuffle.
Banks’ biggest opponent is herself, not Flair.

Edge is nearly 50! why would he even want to come back at that age? not that i'm complaining... i really liked him back in the old days of TLC ll, spearing hardy off the ladder, good times.

Big Pete

Referee
I could be completely off-base, but after his mum passed away he made a point to get into shape as he felt himself slipping into a negative place. It seemed like he set himself the challenge to get into ring shape and once he hit that point he just wanted to keep going.

A reported $9 Million contract was also a nice juicy carrot on top of it.