What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal

Rich102

Staff member
Hasn't been re-signed yet, but now seems to be going pretty well.
If we sign a new prop for next year that leaves Rapira, Packer, Latimore and Poching on our books.
Do we need Royal as back-up?

blain

Juniors
Na i dont think so. Everyone seems to rave about Gavet, who could be a full in if we get desperate. Matulino has been doing well as a prop, he could develop there even.

I think he could get a gig in the superleague pretty easily.

Martli

Coach
We're clearly short on props for next season. Our depth is being tested as it is with Price Rapira, and to a lesser extent Poaching out, but we seem to be coping all right; did well against the dragons pack in conditions that favoured a forwards based game. I think we'll probably need him if we don't sign up someone like White or Blair. Not sure if he'd want to go to the SL with his current situation tbh.

roopy

Referee
In the Sunday newspapers Newcastle they said Royal had been very close to joining the Knights for the rest of the season before an injury at the Warriors meant they wouldn't release him.

ozreece77

Juniors
Steve Rapira started in the U20s as a prop.
Just needs to bulk up in the offseason a bit and we have the Rapira Brothers as our 2 starting props.

LeagueNut

First Grade
In the Sunday newspapers Newcastle they said Royal had been very close to joining the Knights for the rest of the season before an injury at the Warriors meant they wouldn't release him.
This pisses me off. He clearly doesn't want to be here, he's always said he'll be straight back to Newcastle when his contract is up and now he's trying to break his contract as well. Meanwhile we flick Evarn Tuimavave over there instead.

Why would we want to pay good money for someone who doesn't want to be in Auckland???

This pisses me off. He clearly doesn't want to be here, he's always said he'll be straight back to Newcastle when his contract is up and now he's trying to break his contract as well. Meanwhile we flick Evarn Tuimavave over there instead.

Why would we want to pay good money for someone who doesn't want to be in Auckland???

To be clear I would love to see Tuimavave back in Aucks, way better of a player than Royal will ever be. Yeah I know Evarn is a slow developer but even a medicore Evarn is ten times better than a very good Royal.
Lets swap em back

Rich102

Staff member

The last interview I heard with him he said he was very glad to be in Auckland and that if it wasn't for the medical treatment his son had received here he may not have survived.
I actually think he has improved a lot lately. (Royal, not his son.)

Still, in a choice between him & Ervan, it would be Ervan every time.

How could the Warriors get it so wrong?

Iafeta

Referee
Firstly, all I've heard from Royal is he's grateful to be at the Warriors to get another chance. I've never really heard anything of the sort that he's keen to get back to Newcastle.

Secondly, why are we so certain that it was Royal or Tuimavave? Royal was always contracted to be here in 2010. The Warriors had made the decision not to keep Evarn beyond 2009 due to his neck problem. Coincidentally, he's down for the season with injury again. I would suggest the club in 2009 made a conscious decision to go for some new halves and this added cost cost Tuimavave his spot.

Firstly, all I've heard from Royal is he's grateful to be at the Warriors to get another chance. I've never really heard anything of the sort that he's keen to get back to Newcastle.

Secondly, why are we so certain that it was Royal or Tuimavave? Royal was always contracted to be here in 2010. The Warriors had made the decision not to keep Evarn beyond 2009 due to his neck problem. Coincidentally, he's down for the season with injury again. I would suggest the club in 2009 made a conscious decision to go for some new halves and this added cost cost Tuimavave his spot.

Fair Enough thats a good point.

Skinner

Coach
do props need to be monsters these days ?

Thats actually a very interesting question. With the limited interchange rules in the modern game, it "may" be beneficial to have smaller and more
agile (athletic, thus fitter) front rowers. Not sure.

I am a bit old school, but nothing works more for me than a good old fashioned big fella charging down the paddock, breaking the line every time.

Ball playing props just don't do it for me...that's what second rowers and loosies are for.

ozbash

Referee
that's what second rowers and loosies are for.

they have sped the game up with new rules and the 2 refs. Thats probably why players like Tai'a, Matulino, Rapira etc etc get put into the prop position.

Martli

Coach
I think we are seeing Props get a bit smaller and more mobile these days, not 95kg small though.

hitman82

Bench
10 runs for 70 metres, 32 tackles and 1 offload for mini-rap in prop this weekend. Not bad, not amazing.