What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RTS A Warrior from 2016

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Just out of interest.
I wonder what would have happened if a player 'backflips' after Round 13.
They seemed to open the doors back for SBW to re-join the NRL.

Would the player be banned?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I just feel for the Titans in the DCE situation. If he'd done it to a club like us that's on a reasonably solid footing it'd be one thing but we'd move on pretty quickly but it's a massive kick in the guts for a team with their magnitude of off-field problems.

Last edited:
Just out of interest.
I wonder what would have happened if a player 'backflips' after Round 13.
They seemed to open the doors back for SBW to re-join the NRL.

Would the player be banned?
Probably a fine, maybe a suspension too.

Also SBW was banned for five years, we got him after it was up.

JJ

Immortal
I just feel for the Titans in the DCE situation. If he'd done it to a club like us that's on a reasonably solid footing it'd be one thing but we'd move on retry quickly but it's a massive kick in the guts for a team with their magnitude of off-field problems.

Yep, while Sezer is no world beater, they would've tried hard to keep him had they not "signed" DCE.

Iron Lion

Juniors
I just feel for the Titans in the DCE situation. If he'd done it to a club like us that's on a reasonably solid footing it'd be one thing but we'd move on retry quickly but it's a massive kick in the guts for a team with their magnitude of off-field problems.

DCE has done nothing legalistically wrong. He was well inside the rules in making his decision. Morally you could argue he was wrong but Titans knew just like the Warriors with RTS know there is a true possibility a change of heart can occur. Titans should of played it smarter and placed a deposit bond on DCE, meaning if he back flipped it would cost him 100 - 400k. After all it effects their own recruitment. The new 10 day cooling down period seems the smartest option but id still expect some future court cases around it.

DCE is the best halves talent in the competition after Thurston, people going to be haters towards him but he is the complete package and probably worth every cent and more. His prime years ahead as Manly build their pack around him they will return back around the top.

Meth

Staff member
The Gold Coast is a hole. I'd much rather live on the Northern Beaches.

JJ

Immortal
Yep, I agree with Lion - I have no problem with DCE doing what he's done - the rules explicitly allow for it, so at the end of the day all players have a short shelf life, and they need to make the decisions that are best for them.

All this talk of loyalty and honour is just bullshit... certainly there must be trust etc between team mates, but professional sport is cut throat, players are a commodity, and teams are a business... the rest is just rhetorical bullshit

Do feel for the Titans, like it or not, DCE is a franchise type player - the sort of half a team can be built around - there are not many of them in the game

And yes, nobody who is sane would prefer living on the Gold Coast over the Northern beaches of Sydney!

Meth

Staff member
Didn't the Gold Coast swoop in over the top of Manly for Elgey?

jaseg

Juniors
DCE has done nothing legalistically wrong. He was well inside the rules in making his decision. Morally you could argue he was wrong but Titans knew just like the Warriors with RTS know there is a true possibility a change of heart can occur. Titans should of played it smarter and placed a deposit bond on DCE, meaning if he back flipped it would cost him 100 - 400k. After all it effects their own recruitment. The new 10 day cooling down period seems the smartest option but id still expect some future court cases around it.

DCE is the best halves talent in the competition after Thurston, people going to be haters towards him but he is the complete package and probably worth every cent and more. His prime years ahead as Manly build their pack around him they will return back around the top.

Um.. that's definitely not a practice the NRL would allow. The freedom to backflip can't just be negotiated away - it is (or was, as of post round 13) a non-tradeable right that comes with NRL contracts.

Of course the Titans knew it could happen and DCE was legally allowed to do it.. but the terrible thing is the lateness of the decision. He has wasted nearly 3 months of the Titan's recruitment and retention time while many good quality players were locked up elsewhere - that's a really nasty thing to do. The RTS situation (even if he did backflip, which he won't) is a bit different - it's a 1 for 1 direct replacement, and Tomkins' release is conditional on the arrival of RTS, so if he was to backflip we're not completely up s*** creek.

And for the record, DCE still isn't the best halves talent after Thurston. Not in any clear sense anyway.. he's up there, but too many guys around that level right now to make that strong a call.

The only Amateurs to blame for this whole debacle is the Titans themselves. Business is business and they got it wrong. DCE apologized to Neil Henry for the late change of heart. Hate the game not the player

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Probably a fine, maybe a suspension too.

Also SBW was banned for five years, we got him after it was up.

Wow, I didn't realize he was out of the game for so long.
Actually, makes sense - He did play in France before returning home.

My thoughts on DCE situation aren't as positive as everyone elses.
End of day, he did play by the rules and is doing best of his family.
However, I wonder how genuine his intent in joining the Titans really was.
He sat there watched the likes of Sezer and Myles get squeezed out all while keeping mum on the situation.
I can only imagine if this happened to us, what if we signed a star 5/8. Someone we really needed and then released the likes of a Lolohea and a Matulino to accommodate only for said 5/8th turn his back. It'd go down like a cuppa cold sick

spear tackle

Juniors
Wow, I didn't realize he was out of the game for so long.
Actually, makes sense - He did play in France before returning home.

My thoughts on DCE situation aren't as positive as everyone elses.
End of day, he did play by the rules and is doing best of his family.
However, I wonder how genuine his intent in joining the Titans really was.
He sat there watched the likes of Sezer and Myles get squeezed out all while keeping mum on the situation.
I can only imagine if this happened to us, what if we signed a star 5/8. Someone we really needed and then released the likes of a Lolohea and a Matulino to accommodate only for said 5/8th turn his back. It'd go down like a cuppa cold sick

It certainly would, I'm wondering how some of the players at Manly are feeling now that some of them took pay cuts to stay at the club who have toiled pretty hard for the team,only to see another player have the cheque book thrown at them. I understand its just business but there must be some kind of deep seated bitterness there somewhere.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm amazed that people don't have a big issue with what DCE did.

Yes the rules allowed it but as I said in the NRL forum, the laws allow me to f**k someone's wife and borrow money off him to never be paid too.

Iron Lion

Juniors
I'm amazed that people don't have a big issue with what DCE did.

Yes the rules allowed it but as I said in the NRL forum, the laws allow me to f**k someone's wife and borrow money off him to never be paid too.

Thats taking it bit out of context but I do agree from a moral point of view you could argue this guy has no integrity.

Look it at from what really happened though, Eagles wanted to keep Foran so they said bye bye DCE, old management did not get along. DCE goes to Titans and gets shown the love. Foran decides to leave Manly, old management gets fired, new management comes in, they realise they are losing probably the next great half of the next 10 years in DCE, they rush back to the table and offer him a monster deal, so good, so safe he is protected for his football career. The most risky deal ever put together by a club.

No way DCE turns that down. No way 90% of NRL players turn that down. He cashed in his chips big time, any other offer on the table is losing value proposition for DCE.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Thats taking it bit out of context but I do agree from a moral point of view you could argue this guy has no integrity.

Look it at from what really happened though, Eagles wanted to keep Foran so they said bye bye DCE, old management did not get along. DCE goes to Titans and gets shown the love. Foran decides to leave Manly, old management gets fired, new management comes in, they realise they are losing probably the next great half of the next 10 years in DCE, they rush back to the table and offer him a monster deal, so good, so safe he is protected for his football career. The most risky deal ever put together by a club.

No way DCE turns that down. No way 90% of NRL players turn that down. He cashed in his chips big time, any other offer on the table is losing value proposition for DCE.

so you're cool then if the chooks manage to get RTS to stay?

Iron Lion

Juniors
so you're cool then if the chooks manage to get RTS to stay?

It would suck BIG TIME but you know yes I would be ok with it. It means they gave him the better offer than the Warriors could match, they out persuaded him, he has full legal rights to make his choice up till a date. I know the Warriors announced it publicly earlier to force the integrity issue onto RTS so he doesnt bail out before the date. But the truth is he is 100% entitled to change his mind up to that date.

RTS is a traded asset, he has a buy/sell contract, so be it. This is business, so lets be real about it. If RTS sucked bad, the Warriors would not hesitate to move him on like a Ben Barba. RTS has to take care of no1 first.

JJ

Immortal
RTS is a traded asset, he has a buy/sell contract, so be it. This is business, so lets be real about it. If RTS sucked bad, the Warriors would not hesitate to move him on like a Ben Barba. RTS has to take care of no1 first.

Wow, you're on fire - this is the thing everyone misses in the loyalty BS - it's a PROFESSIONAL sport...