What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RTS A Warrior from 2016

Iron Lion

Juniors
Wow, you're on fire - this is the thing everyone misses in the loyalty BS - it's a PROFESSIONAL sport...

Of course, its not personal, its commodity trading, problem is since its on every weekend people start to see this shit like a soap drama, the player tweeting doesnt help either.

These guys have it good, they play good and get paid, a lot of other industry's talent just buys you a ticket to the casting couch to make it.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Wow, you're on fire - this is the thing everyone misses in the loyalty BS - it's a PROFESSIONAL sport...

Yeah that's fine. If DCE, or any player in the world, wants to hold out for the highest bidder I have zero problem with it. Hell, I consider Kieran Foran to be a loyal person of the highest moral standards and he's leaving. He's going for more money, to provide for his family. Great. I'd do that too.

You can do that without completely skull-f**king an organisation, lying to the fans - without whom you're a park footballer - and basically bulldozing everything morally in your path straight to the bank.

I've heard people point to the fact that clubs can cut you too, ala Iron's Ben Barba comparison Yes they can, and you'll be entitled to being paid in full - and an extra period of time to either find a new club or address your options. It's almost exclusively form or attitude that leads you to end up there, so you've basically got your own destiny in your hands.

If a player f**ks a club, they can't hold him to it - unless they stick him in reserve grade which works out for nobody. If DCE had done a Simon Dwyer, the Titans would've backed him in fully. But he's done an SBW and they can do nothing about it. Yes that's the NRLs rules but surely the Titans can expect some sort of moral compass when it comes to a signature, a handshake and ongoing reassurance he's coming?

Again, I have no issue at all that DCE accepted Manly's new offer. I have no problem that Luke Lewis did a backflip, that Fifita did etc. Even Tedesco came out and said look I signed with Canberra but I can't bear to leave my mates and they've increased their offer. Great, no one had any issue. I have an issue with GIs as he did it spinelessly and said the planes weren't flying in the rain so he couldn't get to Brisbane (!). And I have an issue with DCE leaving it to the last minute, leading the Titans down the garden path then at the last hour, completely f**king them.

From ball one where (quite likely manager-led) he was being publicly shopped around, he's handled it like the cat I believe him to be.

Funny thing is, Manly fans absolutely despised him and booed him through the whole process and when they thought he was gone. Now they're quite happy to herald him as the saviour again. Imagine that will change pretty quickly if he gets injured or his form slumps. If SJ did the same thing to us, I'd have a very hard time forgiving him unless a premiership came of it.

Rich102

Staff member
About time the system was done with a binding contract of intent. You sign - then if you don't go you pay compensation. Legally enforceable.
This cooling off period only suits one side.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
even real estate agents, considered the lowest of lows, don't even do this type of negotiation to each other, and they are protected with every get out clause under the sun - cooling off, sunset clause, building and pest, finance, etc etc

TheDMC

Bench
Complete lack of integrity DC. Regardless of the legitimacy of his act, or this is a professional sport, or other excuses, he has unfairly hurt a club that wanted his services. Poor form DC, I wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw you.

TheDMC

Bench

I think you are missing the point completely JJ. The issue has nothing to do with professional sport, it is a matter of personal integrity. Whether you are a sportsman, plumber, lawyer, or unemployed bum - you should honor your commitment, or have a damn good reason not to AND be upfront about it as soon as possible. DC is a nob.

Just because NRL rules in this regard enable a lack of integrity (some would say incentivize) to occur, still it was up to DC to decide whether or not to behave as he did. Scumbum*

* There is a chance that DCE had informed GG early that he may have to cancel the commitment because of better offers coming from Manly, and that none of this leaked into the press, and if so, then he I don't have a problem with him reneging.

Last edited:

JoeD

First Grade
There is a chance that DCE had informed GG early that he may have to cancel the commitment because of better offers coming from Manly, and that none of this leaked into the press, and if so, then he I don't have a problem with him reneging.
OR

How do we know that Manly didn't offer him this in the days before the announcement?

He signed a contract that implicitly stated "I am going to GC EXCEPT if Manly offer me a much better deal"

To me that isn't renegging or being dishonest at all. Thats business, thats life.

Penrose_11

Juniors
As of 7pm NZ time today, the Round 13 backflip clause has ended. RTS and Isaac Luke would offically appear to be Warriors for 2016!!!

MKEB...

Staff member
Best of luck to you guys as well. You only have 6 months left of him as a coq.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
With a Kiwis tour of the UK at the EOS, it gives us a head start on combinations for the Warriors and valuable game time. SJ, RTS, Luke and throw in Mannering, Manu, Mutts for shits and giggles and we should be able to start 2016 in a much better place