What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RTS back for 2024!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Wow, I did not see this coming!!!

Club statement that just arrived by email:

Former captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is re-joining the One New Zealand Warriors in 2024 after signing a three-year contract to the end of the 2026 NRL season.
The One New Zealand Warriors granted Tuivasa-Sheck’s request for an early release to switch to rugby union late in the 2021 season but the club has today announced his return to rugby league for a second term with his hometown club.
“It’s hugely exciting knowing Roger is coming back to us, back to his home at Mt Smart Stadium,” said One New Zealand Warriors CEO Cameron George.
“When he went to rugby union he did so knowing he was always welcome back here if he wished to return to rugby league. We couldn’t be more delighted it’s happening."
When Tuivasa-Sheck switched to rugby union he had made 111 appearances for the Warriors from 2016-2021 and only the second player after Simon Mannering to lead the Warriors 100 times
“Roger is such a high-quality person and leader who will add another layer to our squad with his enthusiasm, experience, skill and professionalism,” said Andrew McFadden, the club’s general manager recruitment, pathways and development.
“He’ll be a tremendous mentor for our younger players while he’ll also bring in a fresh perspective after spending time in rugby union.”

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Going to be interesting to see what flow-on effects this has- will CNK move to centre? And does RTS resume captaincy or does Tohu keep it?

Scott

Bench
Great signing. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.
Where does he play? Worry about the next year. Just glad to have him back where he belongs.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Great signing. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.
Where does he play? Worry about the next year. Just glad to have him back where he belongs.
All due respect the CNK but Roger walks into the FB spot, he’s elite quality. CNK to centre I reckon.
Unless Roger does a Lockyer and moves to 6 but I don’t really see him as that type of fullback. Unless he’s developed a kicking game in RU?

Brian potter

Bench
Great news.

if he’s still putting his hand up for rep rugby I wonder if he’ll pull on the Samoan jersey?

Blair

Coach
He brings back all those bad memories of when we were generally rubbish.

Now that I've said that I think it's silly of me. He was a stand-out player and it wasn't his fault we were so poor.

spear tackle

Juniors
Im of two minds, we have a great fullback in CNK and have handy back ups to him, personally I think his defense is better than RTS but then after seeing what happened last season maybe I'm just pleased to see someone committed again.
RTS will be 30 by the time he rejoins so does not have time on his side, he might help fix our centre problems that seem to be ongoing or maybe fullback but clearing the decks for that when fullback isn't our problem seems a bit off. Maybe he could be a super sub? Either way someones going to be pushed aside and get their nose out of joint

Meth

Staff member
I'm still a bit dirty on him for the way it all ended with us tbh

hitro

Juniors
Tohu and Egan, the captains are regularly injured, so another option there is great. Charnze is also regularly injured, Tuaupiki might be a bit disappointed to have a third fullback in the mix but much like the Origin sides and the Kangaroos to have 3 good fullbacks is a very strong position to select your team

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He brings back all those bad memories of when we were generally rubbish.

Now that I've said that I think it's silly of me. He was a stand-out player and it wasn't his fault we were so poor.
Imagine all the 50 point hidings we’d have got without him. The biggest testament to Rogers ability was that as a fullback he still looked like a champion behind a rubbish team. I really hope SJ has a couple more years of his current form in him because we could have a genuine premiership window here.

Matua

Bench
Wow, I did not see this coming!!!

Club statement that just arrived by email:

Did you just wake up from a long sleep? ;)

I think you have to be dirty with the club then too.

Anyway, this is good news, but if he switches to Samoa he's dead to me and I wish he would have gone to the Roosters.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Other than speculation here is there any inkling he’d switch? He seems to be passionate about the black jersey in either code.

Scott

Bench
Understandable, but they were shit times. COVID really did mess us around much much more than other teams. It’s almost a miracle we didn’t collapse & fold. The position we are in currently is quite remarkable tbh.

Matua

Bench
Other than speculation here is there any inkling he’d switch? He seems to be passionate about the black jersey in either code.
I don't think there's been any suggestion, I'm just putting my thoughts out there after someone mentioned it earlier in the thread.

nswarrior

Juniors
What has happened to the Warriors!!!

Getting some great players signing with us on unders! RTS is a champion, great to have him as part of a strong team.

Just need an elite prop, 2 elite centres, a top hooker who isn’t injured half the time, and an elite half to partner SJ and we can finally win the comp

Scott

Bench
What has happened to the Warriors!!!

Getting some great players signing with us on unders! RTS is a champion, great to have him as part of a strong team.

Just need an elite prop, 2 elite centres, a top hooker who isn’t injured half the time, and an elite half to partner SJ and we can finally win the comp
And 2 of those Rooster sombreros!!

nswarrior

Juniors
When does Super Rugby season end? Could he feature in back half of the year?
Hopefully it is one of those where they let him go early and he is part of the team for the 2nd half of the season

We let lodge go late and the way George has been talking I assume we still have $$$ left in the cap