What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ruben Playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

azza

Juniors
This game about sums up our year I reckon. Promised so much early on, delivered so little in the end.

We have a hell of a lot of work to do in the off season. See you next year boys.

Kris_man

Bench
Ruben = absolute legend champion. I can't believe he played, and I can't believe the other players (apart from Macca and Schif, they were fired up) weren't inspired by his courage and dedication.

Anonymous

Juniors
Macca my have played badly but after the game only he and Rubes came over and shook all the fans hands and thanked us for fronting.

brenno

Juniors
Ruben Wiki= gutsy until the very end of his career with the Raiders. He will be sorely missed. That leaves toots as the last member of the 94 team still at the club. Muss you are legend, it's sad to see him go. I think the Raiders should bring him back to the club in some capacity when his career is over. It would be a shame to see him cast aside and not given an opportunity by the club like what's happened to past legends such as lozza, ricky & brad clyde. I

Anonymous

Juniors
Oh they sorta walked halfway across field and waved and stuff.....But only Marty and Muss made it personal.

SirShire

First Grade
McClinden wasnt all that bad IMHO. He was always trying. I still cant believe he wasnt starting.

And Ruben, well, he was pretty inspirational. I've always liked the raiders and him and Big Mal are two player that you just automatically think of when someone mentions Raiders. He played as hard as he could carrying an injury of that nature. I f**ked my ankle in footy and it never stops hurting. But he played on it! Some hard runs and he was always looking to take it up. I'll miss not seeing him in the green, but I'm happy that he is still going round for 05 and beyond.

thickos

First Grade
Ruben - what an out and out champion. The guy lives for this club. For the life of me I cannot believe he is going to be leaving.

The greatest thing about him is that he makes the supporters' proud. Rather than sit on the sidelines and watch he wanted to get out there and play hurt so he could pull the jersey on one more time. The man just oozes respect - he plays it hard but fair.

225 of the best. Its a big call but he leaves us as probably my favourite Raider of all time. To be a great player in a great team of the early 90' was one thing. To be a colossus of a struggling team exemplifies his greatness.

woodgers

Bench
I agree Thickos, he is the type of player that is not simply playing football for your club but a player who inspires and makes you proud. Going out the way he would have last week was not enough for him so he made sure yesterday he went out like the champion he is. I can't believe Doctors said that he would not be running for 5 weeks and he turned up 8 days later in a semi final, that is pure guts, will and determination. My favourite story I read last week was that he refused to use crutches in front of his teammates, he shows leadership of that calibre and is the main man at the Raiders regardless of the little (c) next to his name.

To watch him go from a gangly centre in a top side to arguably the most feared forward in the game has been a pleasure and one I will always pass on to my grandkids and never forget.

I was good last week at the send off but yesterday it was hard not to have a tear or two in my eyes. The chant from the Raiders section in Bay 33 - RUBEN, RUBEN, RUBEN as he came across was magnificent and it was difficult not to get choked up. He had given everything for our club and as you said Thickos I am still in disbelief that he is gone.

You can have all the talent in the world but without that X factor you will never have what Ruben Wiki has. Heart, Guts, Ticker, Will, Determination, Fight, Courage and Inspirational are all words that I will put next to his name and remember for years to come.

Long live the King.

hrundi99

First Grade
I have to admit that seeing you as emotional as you were last night started me off as well for a moment.

It's kind of like when someone else spews. It can start a chain reaction. :D

thickos

First Grade
From the CT:

Wiki stars with supporting cast
By Chris Wilson Rugby league
Monday, 13 September 2004

As Canberra coach Matt Elliott put it: the Raiders got their last pound of flesh out of Ruben Wiki yesterday. And Wiki was only too happy to give his heart.

The inspirational forward made an astonishing return from injury to play his final match for the Canberra Raiders.

Unable to run all week, Wiki jogged on to Aussie Stadium yesterday with his battered left ankle supported by a plastic cast.

Ignoring an injury that should have sidelined him for a month, Wiki played all but six minutes of the elimination final against the Roosters.

He made 25 tackles and 10 hit-ups. It certainly wasn't the best of the 225 games he has played with the Raiders, but it was one of his most inspirational.

"I don't think any other player would have played today, but Ruben felt he owed it to the guys," suspended Raiders captain Simon Woolford said. "It was an unbelievable effort for him to play."

It was only a little more than a week ago that a teary Wiki sat on the sideline at Canberra Stadium, convinced he had played his final game for Canberra.

Sitting in the changeroom after yesterday's match, his ankle resting in a bucket of ice, Wiki seemed much more content with this ending.

Adrenalin had kicked in, he said, to mask any pain. But he revealed the miracle behind his recovery.

"I did some overtime, some extra kava sessions this week," he said, laughing.

"I just had to be part of this game. I worked pretty hard in rehab. A few needles here and there. It's how much this club means to me."

The Raiders didn't know Wiki would play until Saturday. When Elliott announced it to his team, he said it sent a ripple through the room.

The Raiders hid the news from everyone outside the squad. They even went as far as putting Wiki's name down for a seat at the pre-game corporate lunch in the members stand.

Wiki played in the number 22 - only a coincidence that it was double his usual number 11. He had cut his long locks during the week, his new short-back-and-sides making him look like the young New Zealand centre who arrived in Canberra and made his first grade debut in 1993.

Elliott took Wiki off between the 61st and 67th minutes, but injuries within the squad and sentiment meant the powerful second-rower would always be on at the end.

"I was torn between getting him off and letting him finish. I think we went the right way," Elliott said.

"That was his first run this week so it was a phenomenal effort. Because of the injuries we had, I left him out on the field a lot longer than I would have liked. But I guess we got our last pound of flesh out of him."

At the end of the game Wiki hugged each of his teammates, took off his boots and he jumped into the crowd to farewell a small band of Canberra supporters.

Wiki said he hadn't felt nervous playing with an injury.

"If you feel tentative you shouldn't be out there playing. There's only one way to go. You don't die wondering," he said.

"We stuck it to them in the first half and the bounce of the ball went their way in that last couple of minutes, but that's footy. It can be cruel to you. But we kept battling on until the final hooter went.

"I just so much wanted to be part of it. I'm just glad I got to put the jersey on one more time."

woodgers

Bench
If anyone gets the chance to buy the Canberra Times today and reads the above article on Page 21, there is a cracking photo of Sully giving Ruben a hug and what appears to be a kiss. His nose and face are pressed right up against Rubens cheek. I have just bought 10 hard copies of the paper, it is a cracker of a picture.

I have to admit that seeing you as emotional as you were last night started me off as well for a moment.

Yeah, it was an emotional time. Not only had we been knocked out, the players gave their all and kept the Roosters for half an hour. I had a huge fear we would embarass ourselves but they didn't let me down. Ruben had finished up but mostly it was a time for me to reflect on 12 months of hard slog getting the Raiders Army to where it is. I had put in blood, sweat and tears into getting things going and I think all who stood there yesterday would agree that we all have come on in leaps and bounds and kick started something that can only get better from here. Much like footy I went and thanked all the other fans (Army and SGB) who have been like brothers for the last 6 months, travelling and living in each others pockets. Footy, Mates and good times all came together at 5:30 last night and it was time to let go for another 6 months.

Cheers to all involved.

jed

First Grade
woodgers said:
If anyone gets the chance to buy the Canberra Times today and reads the above article on Page 21, there is a cracking photo of Sully giving Ruben a hug and what appears to be a kiss. His nose and face are pressed right up against Rubens cheek. I have just bought 10 hard copies of the paper, it is a cracker of a picture.

woodgers, is there any chance that you or a fellow Canberran might be able to scan it in for us Sydney-siders?

woodgers

Bench
Calling Ultra. I have a scanner on my printer but I am no 'dot com' and wouldn't know where to start.

peter_raiders

Juniors
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/cfw/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState|0|30|0|1|||0|0|0|0|2|canberra+raiders|0|0&p=2

Go down 7 pics on the right.Is this the one?

woodgers

Bench
Yep Peter that is the one. What a shot. I would give my first born to get a shot of myself in the same photo.

hrundi99

First Grade
I just made it into the pic. You can see the back of my head in the members cap to the right.

Sully's a legend.

Latest posts