What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ruben Wiki best forward in the world?

Robster

Bench
after his performance in the series you have to at least think :) What a fantastic player, almost made 200 metres and made 30 something tackles :D if I'm wrong bout the best forward in the world status then who is?

innsaneink

Referee
Probably close to it but being in sh*t teams the last few seasons dont help your cause.
Takes more than a few games in a series to gain a world best tag......several years consistently.

hrundi99

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Probably close to it but being in sh*t teams the last few seasons dont help your cause.
Takes more than a few games in a series to gain a world best tag......several years consistently.

But his stats and effort have been superb despite being in poor teams.

His quality of play in this series is what he does week in week out.

One of the best players and nicest guys I've ever seen.

Raider_69

Post Whore
innsaneink said:

thats funny because that sentence sums up Rubin Wiki perfectly
IMO yes he is the best forward in the world and has been for a few years

Parrasque

Juniors
Not the best forward in the world but definately the best Front Rower. he is up there with Webke is his prime

sharknows

Bench
Certainly a great player but what he was playing against was no where near the best available in Australia. A very soft pack for an Aussie team made Wiki look very good.

innsaneink

Referee
Raider_69 said:
thats funny because that sentence sums up Rubin Wiki perfectly
IMO yes he is the best forward in the world and has been for a few years

Being the best of a bunch of nuffies (Raiders & Warriors) hardly qualifies you to a worlds best tag.
Why is it only now, that hes won something is this brought up?
We hear a few murmurs from his staunchest fans over the last few years, nothing more.

Rod

Bench
innsaneink said:
Being the best of a bunch of nuffies (Raiders & Warriors) hardly qualifies you to a worlds best tag.
We hear a few murmurs from his staunchest fans over the last few years, nothing more.

Wiki's fellow front-rowers at the Warriors are Steve Price and Iafeta Paleaasina (sp). Hardly what you'd call nuffies.

I personally have rated Wiki for a long time, and he'd definitely be among the first picked in any side I picked. His leadership and passion is exemplary and he leads by example on the field. Right now perhaps Hindmarsh is the only forward I'd perhaps pick before Wiki.

D

Deleted member 10972

Warriors in 2005 when at full strength:

1. Brent Webb
2. Francis Meli
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Todd Byrne
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Jerome Ropati
7. Stacey Jones
8. Steve Price
9. Nathan Fien
10. Ruben Wiki
11. Wairangi Koopu
12. Awen Guttenbeil
13. Sione Faumuina

14. Lance Hohaia
15. Richard Villasanti
16. Iafeta Paleaaesina
17. Louie Anderson

That's a brilliant forward pack, far from nuffies, in fact one of the best in the competition. Come to think of it, that team on paper, i believe, is better than Parra's or the Dragon's teams.

Raider_69

Post Whore
innsaneink said:

because it would have been futile argueing this case while he was at canberra, because my opinion would have been dismissed as biased by the likes of you... his stats even at poor clubs have been up there with the best in the business... he plays in the grind of week to week NRL and rarely comes up against someone who gets the better of him, he carried a very mehish Raiders pack on his broad shoulders for many years, along with Croker and Davico when he was on the park... but neither of them rose to an occasion quite like Rubin

Which is why he is the most capped International, captain of his country, should have been captain of his beloved raiders (had they not given it to germ to keep him at the club) and is the first picked Kiwi so long as he is fit... and you can bet your bottem dollar he'd be one of the first aussies pick if he was played for us...

To a degree i probably am biased, i love Muss, he is a champion bloke and even better player, but i honestly do not see another forward who is as good as him and has been for so many years. Hindmarsh, Webcke etc are all with him there but the fact Rubin is still doing it just as good as them with a few years on him speaks volumes about him... Muss is #1 IMO

hrundi99

First Grade
innsaneink said:

This is because he has had virtually no profile in the Australian media despite being amongst the game's elite, for years. He's not one to toot his own horn; he keeps to himself and doesn't indulge the media unless absolutely necessary. He is actually relatively shy.

His last game for the Raiders in Canberra (not to mention his heroic efforts playing against Easts in the final) got virtually no coverage in the Sydney media, despite it being one of the most emotional and special moments in rugby league in recent times. I was there and there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

It was a perfect moment to show that league players and supporters are just as emotionally attached to each other and the sport as any other sport in this country, including AFL.

Channel Nine and the NRL blew it.

iggy plop

First Grade
Robster said:
after his performance in the series you have to at least think :) What a fantastic player, almost made 200 metres and made 30 something tackles :D if I'm wrong bout the best forward in the world status then who is?

He's better than any of our front-rowers.

I can't argue with you.

Phil Ivey

Juniors
hi all, new to rugby league, this year

i followed the warriors all year, and wiki was one of my absolute favourites all year. even though our team was crap, he played so hard every game.

i understand he had a long career at canberra, was he a great player there aswell? did the fans enjoy his play?

JJ

Immortal
Can't say he's teh best forward - I'd say Hindmarsh and Kennedy probably are..

For props I find it hard to split Wiki, Webcke, Bailey, Price and Fielden...

Ruben certainly has been consistent for many years... as a centre, backrower and prop...

sooperdooper

First Grade
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
Warriors in 2005 when at full strength:

1. Brent Webb
2. Francis Meli
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Todd Byrne
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Jerome Ropati
7. Stacey Jones
8. Steve Price
9. Nathan Fien
10. Ruben Wiki
11. Wairangi Koopu
12. Awen Guttenbeil
13. Sione Faumuina

14. Lance Hohaia
15. Richard Villasanti
16. Iafeta Paleaaesina
17. Louie Anderson

That's a brilliant forward pack, far from nuffies, in fact one of the best in the competition. Come to think of it, that team on paper, i believe, is better than Parra's or the Dragon's teams.

they may look good on paper but remeber jones is not there now. also its known that whats on paper is not what happens on the field..

i have been critical of wiki. but he is a good foward up there with a few others as a great prop at this period of time

Latest posts