What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ruben Wiki hangs up boots

Red Bear

Referee
I thought this year was much much better than last season, especially when he came back into the side, he found a second wind so to speak.

Right time to go but legend of the game

086.jpg

Deadset legend

Loudstrat

Coach
One of the greatest league role models I have seen.

Pisses me off that some reckon he should have retired in seasons past. Who says yopu have to retire when your first grade career is in it's twilight? He wasn't a wanka that just hung around to go out on top (nor was Menzies). He played for the love of it.

Fantastic asset to the game. :clap:

Skram

Juniors
You should retire when you are sh*t and too old to have any hope of improving. Wiki failed to do so.

I don't think the onus is on Wiki to call it quits when he's playing the game he loves for a living, I think the onus is on the coaching staff to drop him.
They did it once only, as Cleary seems to take an age to wise to any major personnel change decisions, and Wiki talked up his time with the Vulcans, probably would have copped it no matter when it happened as he must've had the knowledge that he had been playing like crap for quite sometime.

You should retire when you are sh*t and too old to have any hope of improving. Wiki failed to do so.

I agree that Ruben did struggle with his form during the year, mainly due to injuries he was carrying, but he was in great form by the last couple of rounds and during the finals. Also, you can not under-estimate the impact he has as a leader, especially on the younger players in the Warrior team. I believe that without Ruben in the team, the Warriors would not have made the same impact, that they did, in the finals.

I was pissed when we lost him in 2004, but in hindsight a damn good move. We missed him badly in 2005, but we're sweet in the pack now and Rubes didn't produce his best for you guys. So whoo.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Has Rubes ever had a fight during his career in 1st grade?

Hes usually calm and composed when things start heating up around him, he also dosent look like the player most players would want to have a go with.

So has he ever laid the smack down on someone? lol. and who?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I don't think the onus is on Wiki to call it quits when he's playing the game he loves for a living, I think the onus is on the coaching staff to drop him.

I agree.

I know it seems like I'm waging a personal campaign against Wiki but I actually like him. I think he made a poor decision to keep playing, and playing, and playing, as far as preserving his legacy goes. However, I understand that he enjoyed playing and wanted to go on as long as possible, and leave it up to Cleary to drop him.

The fact he went on for the best part of 3 years as a pretty sub-par player, combined with the constant media adulation he got for the entire 4 years he was here, became very hard to take imo.

cb4

First Grade
i wouldnt wanna get hit by wiki
i also think he was devastating throughout the back half of the year
ask soliola lol

Stalefish

Juniors
I was pissed when we lost him in 2004, but in hindsight a damn good move. We missed him badly in 2005, but we're sweet in the pack now and Rubes didn't produce his best for you guys. So whoo.

Canberra's pack is sh*t.

Smart move by Wiki to quit while he's ahead