What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ruben Wiki hangs up boots

Fast Eddie

First Grade
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4726948a10713.html

Former Kiwi skipper Ruben Wiki today announced his retirement from rugby league.
Wiki, 35, said hanging up his boots was the obvious choice, even though there were options to play in the English Super League.
His announcement come in the wake of a fairy tale finish to his playing days, when he scored a 70m final try in the All Golds' win over the New Zealand Maori in New Plymouth on Sunday.
Two weeks earlier, his 16-season National Rugby League first-grade career had ended with the Warriors' defeat in the grand final qualifier against Manly.
Wiki amassed a world record 55 caps, 18 as skipper, between 1994 and 2006.
He also played 312 first-grade NRL matches, the most by a New Zealander.
He began his first grade career in 1993 with Canberra, with whom he won a premiership in 1994, before returning to his south Auckland roots by signing for the New Zealand Warriors before the 2005 season.
"I've had a great time playing alongside so many players and it's been a lot of fun being able to say goodbye to the supporters over the last few weeks," he said.
"I want to thank them for everything they've done. It's been quite a ride for this boy from Otara."
Wiki intends to pursue community-based and promotional opportunities outside the game.
His immediate focus is the Kiwis' World Cup campaign in his role as mentor.
-NZPA

Raider_69

Post Whore
greatest kiwi player that i've ever seen.
Legend doesnt begin to describe him. So glad i went to that parra game in round 26 to see him live one last time

blain

Juniors
i hope he stays with the warriors in some sort of coaching role. having him and stace there would be great.

true gentleman and legend of the game. The legend tag gets thrown about too easily these days , in this case its well deserved. Loved watching him play especially when it was in the green.

Not only a great player but he did heaps of work away from the game to help those less fortunate. He has been an inspiration to all of NZ and many others as well. We will miss you Ruben James but the legend will live on.

Mr Manly

Juniors
Great player but this year really looked like he was playing on empty and hence why he got dropped throughout the year - but like the champion he is came back and led his pack to the end.

Latest posts