What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

taste2taste

Juniors
For selfish reasons I'm hoping Manu fails in Union.

If he's a huge success, Japan, France and any other cashed up Union team will be making offers to the elite NRL talent.

But on current trajectory within the next decade the NRL cap will be able to match or better any Union comp.

Canard

Immortal
For selfish reasons I'm hoping Manu fails in Union.

If he's a huge success, Japan, France and any other cashed up Union team will be making offers to the elite NRL talent.

But on current trajectory within the next decade the NRL cap will be able to match or better any Union comp.
Heaps of League guys went to European Union though and it didn't affect us, and that was before the cap was huge.

Sivo, before that Matt Rogers, Luke Rooney.

Craig Gower played in Europe to.

Frankly I doubt it even moves the needle.

taste2taste

Juniors
I hate the Chooks with all my heart.

But I don't have any issues with this.

As long as his being counted under the cap in the correct proportion, I don't see the issue. And the guy is a star.
I think it opens a loop hole that star players could take advantage of.

If Manu earns 1.3m in Japan and then gets his 850k from the Roosters, Walsh, Hass, Turbo...will all be wanting to get in on the rort.

The NRL needs to be firm, if you play in Japan in 2025 you can't return to the NRL in the 2025 season.

The best way to make sure we never lose a player in the future is let the players get paid thier worth by moving to a pionts salary cap and improve International League so there's something for the Kiwi / Pacific Island players to aim for.

Wb1234

Referee

If Manu earns 1.3m in Japan and then gets his 850k from the Roosters, Walsh, Hass, Turbo...will all be wanting to get in on the rort.

The NRL needs to be firm, if you play in Japan in 2025 you can't return to the NRL in the 2025 season.

The best way to make sure we never lose a player in the future is let the players get paid thier worth by moving to a pionts salary cap and improve International League so there's something for the Kiwi / Pacific Island players to aim for.
Points salary cap will never work

players have different values to each club based on their need at the time

Colk

First Grade
Also who decides how many points each player is worth? If it’s based on rep performances does an origin halfback cost the same as a winger? Seems very idealistic but hard to see how it functions in practise.

Who decides that Manu is worth $500k after Round 12? The market, like everything else, will determine what a player is worth. Players will either accept that market value or not.

The biggest flaw with the current system is that it is not really enforceable. What is just is really a subjective argument but what is inarguable is that there has been that many salary cap fiascos in this game that it is difficult to believe that a salary cap in isolation can work

Canard

Immortal

What's the "rort" though?

The Chooks aren't gaining unfair advantage.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Who decides that Manu is worth $500k after Round 12? The market, like everything else, will determine what a player is worth. Players will either accept that market value or not.

The biggest flaw with the current system is that it is not really enforceable. What is just is really a subjective argument but what is inarguable is that there has been that many salary cap fiascos in this game that it is difficult to believe that a salary cap in isolation can work

Problem with the salary cap is there is no draft attached to it. In the current system, you are not going to get a spread of good talent among the 17 clubs. Clubs near the bottom so often have to pay overs for players and therefore it results in a lack of depth in the cap.

And I don't think the salary cap does enough for long term players at the one club.

Wb1234

Referee
Problem with the salary cap is there is no draft attached to it. In the current system, you are not going to get a spread of good talent among the 17 clubs. Clubs near the bottom so often have to pay overs for players and therefore it results in a lack of depth in the cap.

And I don't think the salary cap does enough for long term players at the one club.
Thank terry hill for that

Munky

Coach
The ARU should be releasing its 2023 annual report very soon if it's similar to prior years.

Be interesting to see if they have any real assets on the balance sheet.

docbrown

Coach
Anyone who wants a draft is a f**king idiot. It would actually push kids towards European rugby. Drafts only work in sports with no competition for talent
100% correct. Fumbleball can have a draft because their players aren't going anywhere else. Rugby league players can go to Super League or Rugby Union to avoid the draft and go where they can get the most dollars.

The salary cap is the best equalizer for talent distribution and for creating a competitive league. A team can rise but the more expensive their players become, the harder it is to fit that playing group under the cap, so the talent is forced to spread out.

Also people need to think of the collective salary cap as our GDP. The bigger our GDP is, the more we will pull players from outside of the NRL into it (e.g. attracting players from rugby union or other codes). The NRL should view themselves as the Silicon Valley of club rugby (of either code), attracting the best talent in the world.

If you want players to be loyal to your club for things other than money, build them up for the grassroots. Then when they get older they might be more inclined to take a paycut to stay with their long term club.

I've often noticed that the people arguing for a draft are the ones doing next to nothing about lower grade talent development.