What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

taste2taste

Juniors
Kangaroos biggest crowds on Pommie soil.
Unlike the Aussies, the poms take international footy seriously.

Internationals are a hard sell in Australia, the Kangaroos usually run up cricket scores and no one wants to watch that. Because of the lack of interest international footy has been relegated to the cricket season, they don't even bother with the Anzac Test anymore.

If NZ, Samoa and Tonga can give the Roos a close game the crowds will eventually come.

taste2taste

Juniors
Manly have signed Scots College and jnr Wallabies captian Ontario Large.

Large has signed a three-year contract to join the Sea Eagles from next season – a player many experts in the game have described as the best young talent across either code.
Large played in Western Suburbs under-17s Harold Matthews team this year and The Scots College student also captained the Junior Wallabies side. Rugby Australia wanted to him to make the permanent switch to the 15-man game but instead he has agreed to ink a long-term deal with the Sea Eagles.

The Bledisloe used to sell out on minutes, 68k would be hugely concerning for their absolute marquee game
It is remarkably resilient though, imagine if either NSW or QLD won SOO for 23 years straight, I can`t imagine it still pulling a crowd that large.
I suspect that for a lot of union fans now though, Bledisloe is their union day out, especially given the demise of super rugby. I really don`t expect that any of them expect to see the Australians win, however, but it is still an opportunity to see a world-class sporting team in action, that being the AB`s of course.
The sooner the NRL gets more teams in NZ, the sooner we can start chipping away at that internationally successful aura that the AB have by accessing more union juniors, and weakening them. Then we will be one major step closer to shunting union to being a second-tier sport in our region. Fair bit of work to do in the meantime though.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It is remarkably resilient though, imagine if either NSW or QLD won SOO for 23 years straight, I can`t imagine it still pulling a crowd that large.
I suspect that for a lot of union fans now though, Bledisloe is their union day out, especially given the demise of super rugby. I really don`t expect that any of them expect to see the Australians win, however, but it is still an opportunity to see a world-class sporting team in action, that being the AB`s of course.
The sooner the NRL gets more teams in NZ, the sooner we can start chipping away at that internationally successful aura that the AB have by accessing more union juniors, and weakening them. Then we will be one major step closer to shunting union to being a second-tier sport in our region. Fair bit of work to do in the meantime though.
Don't disagree with any of that but the ARU would be alarmed at anything less than a sell out for a Bledisloe in Sydney. Their last hope is starting to crack

Reactions: Vee
Don't disagree with any of that but the ARU would be alarmed at anything less than a sell out for a Bledisloe in Sydney. Their last hope is starting to crack
To be perfectly frank I`d say they would be pretty stoked (and relieved) that the second-rate wallabies can still pull a crowd that large, but as you say, it does appear that their last best hope is starting to crack.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Manly have signed Scots College and jnr Wallabies captian Ontario Large.

Large has signed a three-year contract to join the Sea Eagles from next season – a player many experts in the game have described as the best young talent across either code.
Large played in Western Suburbs under-17s Harold Matthews team this year and The Scots College student also captained the Junior Wallabies side. Rugby Australia wanted to him to make the permanent switch to the 15-man game but instead he has agreed to ink a long-term deal with the Sea Eagles.

How does you time and body handle playing 2 codes of Rugby in 1 week ?

Vee

First Grade
Are you kidding? Origin was built on qld winning almost every year.

Every time nsw had extended success crowds dropped.
I'm as hard-core as it gets in terms of supporting Qld. Some suggest to me that they'd like a split series with a decider to keep it interesting each year.

F**k that, I want to win 30-0, 3-0 every year for 30 years before I'd call us even but if we got to 23 years, I'd probably start to feel a little complacent.