What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rugby league at the olympics

Nugby

Juniors
BTW - ru used to be an olympic sport played in 1900, 1908, 1920 and 1924. Only 3 teams entered in 1924, and USA won the gold, making them ru's defending olympic rugby champions.

Btw, Tighthead, wasn't rugby union in (I think) 1908 Australia's first ever gold medal, won against the poms to sweeten it :)

Tighthead

Btw, Tighthead, wasn't rugby union in (I think) 1908 Australia's first ever gold medal, won against the poms to sweeten it

Nah - we won an olympic gold in 1896 - Edwin Flack, if I remember correctly. The rugby gold was our first gold medal in a team sport. (There were only two teams competing at the rugby in 1908, though).

Front-Rower

First Grade
paulyt69 said:
eagle_eye said:
if cricket and rugby, which are played alot more on an international stage can't even get in, how would league?
They play cricket in the commonwealth games though.

That only lasted one time. Kular Lumpar (spelling?) 1998

roosters2004

Juniors
u guys that are say there will only be aus,nz and england that will do any good.. it is sevens.. i think fiji and countrys like that would go alright there very fast and have good step and there huge so they should be able 2 tackle.. wat more do ya want??

GongPanther

Referee

‘On track for Brissie’: Rugby league’s ambitious bid to become an Olympic sport​

Adrian Proszenko

Rugby league has put its hand up to become an Olympic sport in the hope that the Nines format will be included in the official program for the 2032 Brisbane Games.
The announcement that Brisbane will become the third Australian city to host an Olympics will prompt several sports – including netball, cricket, lawn bowls, martial arts, rugby and surfing – to begin their pitches to be part of the event list.

Brisbane has been officially announced as the host city for the 2032 Olympic games much to the delight of the locals.Rugby league began that process well before Wednesday night’s announcement that Brisbane will be a host city.

The International Rugby League is advanced in its negotiations to become a member of the Global Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF), the umbrella organisation for all Olympic and non-Olympic international sports federations. The plan is for the sport to be showcased at the 2026 Commonwealth Games, with a view to gaining IOC status in time to be a fully fledged inclusion for the Brisbane Games.

“It’s absolutely part of our plans and aspirations,” IRL chairman Troy Grant told the Herald.
“We’re well in train to meeting qualifications to do exactly that. The rugby league Nines and the wheelchair rugby league are our two target spots.
“I’m optimistic because we haven’t just started the process now, we’re already well advanced.
“Given Queensland’s passion for rugby league, the fact the host city gets to put forward a number of sports, that works in our favour.

“I’ve already had a conversation with the [Sports] Minister in Queensland when I was there during Magic Round to put it on their radar and got a good reception.
“We’ll be working in earnest to achieve that outcome.
“[The goal is to become] a demonstration at worst, but hopefully if we can get it as an actual sport, that would be even better.”

Rugby league will face stiff competition in achieving its objective. About 25 sports are considered staples of the Olympic program, such as athletics, swimming and weightlifting. Others, such as sevens rugby or new Tokyo inclusions climbing and skateboarding, will have their status constantly reviewed.

Cricket officials are pushing for the T20 format to be included in the Olympic program, Netball has claims despite minimal male participation, while surfing’s future isn’t guaranteed beyond the 2024 Games. Rugby’s Olympic future is clouded beyond 2028 and there will be obvious questions raised about whether league Nines is too similar a sport to rugby sevens.“I think they can [coexist], but I’m confident that our product is better,” Grant said.

“I’d like to see us both there because that would only help us with product differentiation.
“I think we have more countries, which most people don’t realise. We have less countries at the competitive or elite level, but we have more countries by way of participation.
If unsuccessful in becoming a fully-fledged medal event, there is the prospect of becoming a demonstration sport, although the Games haven’t included those since 1992.

IRL is poised to release an international calendar that will include participation in the Pacific Games, a World Cup in France in 2025 followed by one likely to be held in North America or the Pacific in 2029. However, the 2021 edition in the United Kingdom remains clouded given Australia has yet to sign a participation agreement due to health concerns.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/at-lon...ld-as-games-come-to-town-20210721-p58bqb.html
Asked if the 2021 World Cup would go ahead without the Kangaroos, Grant said: “That’s a question for the World Cup committee, the UK government and us in partnership. We’ll cross that bridge if we need to.”
Netball Australia chair Marina Go said the sport would make a compelling case for Olympic inclusion in 2032.
“Netball internationally has been thinking about this for some time,” Go said.
“It’s one of the few sports where Australia has been the world No.1 for most of its existence and in 2027 we will celebrate the centenary of netball.

“It’s also a sport where African countries have a better-than-average chance of claiming a medal, because South Africa is strong and it’s also played in the Pacific.
“If the Olympic committee wants to look at a diversification of countries that can win medals, which I believe it does, then netball has to be right up there.
“We have a Fast5 version of our game and for rugby to enter the Olympics they did it through rugby sevens, but we also have a traditional format.

“If they want gender diversity, engagement by women and girls in terms of participation and viewership, this is a sport that has to be on that stage.
“We will be gunning hard.”

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha, australia doesn’t give a sht about international rugby league, good luck getting the Olympic committee to take any such conversation seriously!

Perth Red

Post Whore
11 years away, so by that time RL will be firmly established in quite a number of countries. Unless covid is still with us.
It needs to get some credibility with much greater number of nines events at club and international level for both genders. It’s actually the perfect format Imo to get other nations up and running playing RL. Let’s have a proper program of nines events over next 5 years so the case can be made. longer term I reckon touch footy probably has more Olympic opportunity and the IRL should be pushing it as a format with all its RL nations.

Pretty Penny

Juniors
Rugby League should be the No 1 sport played at the Olympics and it is a great injustice that it isnt but let's face it, we cant even get the Mexicans to play it

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Watching some of these ridiculous sports at the Olympics, why wouldnt Rugby League be considered?

Plus we've got so many countries around the world that play the game and it seems each year another country takes up the sport. Who knows how many countries will play the game by 2032.

Perth Red

Post Whore
U
Watching some of these ridiculous sports at the Olympics, why wouldnt Rugby League be considered?

Plus we've got so many countries around the world that play the game and it seems each year another country takes up the sport. Who knows how many countries will play the game by 2032.
Because some countries treat it like a joke, so why should olympics take it seriously? Not to mention it’s very limitEd international reach. Do enough countries p,as it for it to be an Olympic sport? Best leave the olympics to sports that have actually managed to grow to a decent level beyond a handful of locations.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Actually just looked and RL wouldn’t come close to this criteria:

“The Olympic Charter indicates that in order to be accepted, a sport must be widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents and by women in no fewer than 40 countries and on three continents.”

Wizardman

First Grade
I don't think touch football would be the worst idea in the world for an olympic sport. Im not sure if its popular in non-league dominant states but it is a much more accessible game for people to play than league.
I was in Kiev, Ukraine about ten years ago on holiday. I'll never forget what I saw on a tv while I was at a McDonalds restaurant. It was a special interest type segment on touch football. There was this massive type touch football carnival played at a pretty decent sized stadium with kids and teenagers playing it. Some of the skills of the kids looked odd but the scale of this event looked impressive....hundreds would have been there.

Last Week

Bench
It should be a goal of course to have the game played there. It would create a stupid amount of exposure for the game.

Like, I've never watched Water Polo or Beach Volleyball in my life other than the Olympics.