What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League is Dying

The biggest obstacle is giving that political,animal and survivor, Greenberg the opportunity to front the game

No faith in him at all, would rather make statements on radio to showcase his images . Once Smith showed he wouldn't cop the clubs and News Ltd interference, he was gone and they appointed an internal person that fitted their model

A sad day
He's in the pockets of the clubs
So true. Smith probably started talking about a second Brisbane team and other such expansion talk. That is RL suicide.
He was to forward thinking for most admin people in Rugby League
No other sport get it's demise predicted annually like rugby league, it's the only code that get constant negative media from all angles and the littlest minor details get under the microscope. Since rugby league was formed, the other code supporters want it gone no other code get this treatment.
A lot of the negative comments come from so called Rugby League journos

big hit!

Bench
Union in this country,can't get over the fact that our product is a far more superior one than theirs.

interesting. so why is it in actual fact, rugby league, which is trying to emulate rugby union?

one thing rugby league had over the (technical) running game was the lack of frequent and protracted stoppages. now, it's does the same thing.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
This, I suspect, goes some way to explaining the popularity of rugby league in Australia and the industrial regions of New Zealand - they could identify with British teams because the tourists were people just like the mass of ordinary Australians and Kiwis.
So rugby league’s strength has always been about more than the thrilling spectacle on the pitch. At its heart was the principle that ordinary people should have the opportunity to develop their talents to their fullest extent.

I think this has been NRLs big problem since 2013...

Prior to that, when the game was being run on an the smell of an oil rag, the NRL had a kind of "we're all in it together" image.

But in the leadup to the 2013 TV deal, i think too much was made of the $s we would get. THere was an implicit promise (from Gallop mostly) that "everyone would get exactly what they wanted, just give it a few more years".

It was a great stalling tactic then (the promise of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to keep us from worrying about all of the cracks), but after we got the money and the game didnt do every wonderful thing we thought it could, i think a general feeling of disappointment has stuck to the NRL and the ARLC in particular. We were promised a silverbullet and we never got it.

I dont have the solution to this (it is easy to pick the problem and complain), but that disconection between the NRL with its millionaire players and fans reminicing about the "Good Ol' Days" is a problem that needs to be dealt with....

Perth Red

Post Whore
What's the odds on offer for its death? Hold the funeral on a Monday night, no one will turn up but tv will get good ratings.

Rugby league is incredibly resilient, it will probably never grow to the size it should be given the quality of product but it will never die.

kbw

Bench
Stop and think for a while that rugby league is a game that isn't just all about the NRL competition. Its also about U6s, U15s and semi professional levels. Its about the game in the cities and its about the game in the country.

The NRL can be easily labeled a basket case but its hardly going to die, at the moment.
The semi professional levels eg Ron Massey Cup, NSW cup and Sydney sheild are probably the healthiest of them all.

The biggest problem lie is the junior club realm. Its struggling in many areas.
The U13 to opens are losing numbers, in the Parra Agrade comp there are 6 teams !!!!

Country RL and junior clubs receive nothing from the NRL. The Roosters fund their junior clubs well and SOuths Juniors (not the senior club) fund their juniors. But most are effectlively ignored.

While the NRL admin will talk up junior league funding its nothing but lip service with some minimal token gestures. Hell CH9 put more money back into junior league than the NRL does.

This is the real danger to RL

Sphagnum

Coach
When Brisbane have the most expensive team in the comp by millions and they're still fkn hopeless, you know the game is struggling.

POPEYE

Coach
It's being strangled but it's not dead yet, the game just needs to finish one phase of the season before it begins another, sacrificing to the media gods is as outdated as any religion

T-Boon

Coach
It's being strangled but it's not dead yet, the game just needs to finish one phase of the season before it begins another, sacrificing to the media gods is as outdated as any religion

thats utter gibberish. What are you talking about?

ram raid

Bench
League isn't dying but SOO is.

Having said that...apparently the biggest ratings in Wednesday.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing with the product on display.

Lol ... part of me wishes that SOO would die but I don't think it will. It's RL's best product. I think NRL will die before SOO ever does.

POPEYE

Coach
thats utter gibberish. What are you talking about?

Play the Nines to give the RL world a look at as many promising non-NRL players as possible

Play the indigenous game to satisfy what needs satisfying

Start the Premiership and finish it uninterrupted, after the cup has been presented choose Origin players from the in-form survivors and play the best against the best

The best players left after all that get a shot at Test footy if it's on the calendar

Most importantly, make the f**king media organise their broadcasting around what is best for RL and not vice versa

If you didn't understand the abridged version ol' mate I doubt you'd understand the unabridged . . . would you prefer 4 orgasms or thinking of mowing your lawn as to hold your load

ed-grimley

Bench
Play the Nines to give the RL world a look at as many promising non-NRL players as possible

Play the indigenous game to satisfy what needs satisfying

Start the Premiership and finish it uninterrupted, after the cup has been presented choose Origin players from the in-form survivors and play the best against the best

The best players left after all that get a shot at Test footy if it's on the calendar

Most importantly, make the f**king media organise their broadcasting around what is best for RL and not vice versa

If you didn't understand the abridged version ol' mate I doubt you'd understand the unabridged . . . would you prefer 4 orgasms or thinking of mowing your lawn as to hold your load
The poor old fan needs some consideration as well.

POPEYE

Coach
The poor old fan needs some consideration as well.

Not sure what your point is, if you're inferring that fans will be disadvantaged if Origin followed a completed premiership I'd say you're a f**king idiot . . . everything is annual which means you've still got to wait the same amount of months to stand on the same spot you like the most

If you're saying you agree with me that every fan has the right to see every aspect of a season prosper without being negatively made foolish by another then I say f**king hallelujah

ed-grimley

Bench
Not sure what your point is, if you're inferring that fans will be disadvantaged if Origin followed a completed premiership I'd say you're a f**king idiot . . . everything is annual which means you've still got to wait the same amount of months to stand on the same spot you like the most

If you're saying you agree with me that every fan has the right to see every aspect of a season prosper without being negatively made foolish by another then I say f**king hallelujah
The latter.

Latest posts