What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Mad Butcher is 80

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Oddly, the only other well known NZer that I've had a random encounter was John Key (this was just a few months ago). Without going into politics, it was a random encounter at Auckland Airport, we ended up in the same queue where they scan your bags before going into the duty free area. I was there just waiting for my bag to come through the carousel, and he come up next to me. Without hesitation I just said hello and we had a nice wee chat as we waited. Another I was up most impressed with
I don’t agree with his politics and i think he’s a smarmy, pony-tail pulling, runway-mincing, hot dog deep-throating prick with a shit son, but I can completely envision this scenario.

I saw him on Gone Fishin’ many years ago and after a bit of fishing the crew are having a few beers as the sun goes down. He’s a couple deep with a mild slur on and he’s got them completely enraptured. I hate to say it but very ‘alpha’ vibes. Totally at ease and confident.

Saw exactly the same thing in some candid documentary footage of George Bush Jr on Air Force One. The man was a jibbering, certifiable buffoon in the media, but behind the scenes he had obvious charisma.

I don’t agree with his politics and i think he’s a smarmy, pony-tail pulling, runway-mincing, hot dog deep-throating prick with a shit son, but I can completely envision this scenario.

I saw him on Gone Fishin’ many years ago and after a bit of fishing the crew are having a few beers as the sun goes down. He’s a couple deep with a mild slur on and he’s got them completely enraptured. I hate to say it but very ‘alpha’ vibes. Totally at ease and confident.

Saw exactly the same thing in some candid documentary footage of George Bush Jr on Air Force One. The man was a jibbering, certifiable buffoon in the media, but behind the scenes he had obvious charisma.
John Key was charismatic as a politician / PM, no surprises he's like that away from the limelight. I didn't vote for him but I thought he was Nationals best PM.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Funnily enough I’ve heard the same about former Aussie PM Tony Abbott - I hated the prick as PM but apparently quite affable in person. Scott Morrison on the other hand strikes me as a “Scott no mates”. Albo apparently likes a beer or ten.

Blair

Coach
Funnily enough I’ve heard the same about former Aussie PM Tony Abbott - I hated the prick as PM but apparently quite affable in person. Scott Morrison on the other hand strikes me as a “Scott no mates”. Albo apparently likes a beer or ten.
The mrs and me passed Tony in the Sydney Airport departures area last May. He knew we knew who he was. We all smiled, and moved on. Two non-Liberal voters could still share a pleasant moment with him.

We'd have just kept the conversation light though, if we'd stopped and talked. You know, general destinations, sport (he likes Manly, doesn't he? Some Shute Shield, etc), even weather.

Blair

Coach
Don't get me started...

It was thrilling to see Bill and Hilary Clinton, in their prime, in Sydney in November '96 (this was just a week after a very intimate - don't take that the wrong way - meeting with Michael Jackson in Auckland. Two 'wow' encounters.

I shook Gough Whitlam's hand in the NSW Parliament in '99. I worked for Mike Moore in '93, thought Helen Clark was cool. That same year Paul Keating was in the NZ Parliament and I said 'how about those Bulldogs?' and he replied, 'no worries! But he was no league fan.

Just before he died I said a passing, 'hello, Mr Muldoon' to Rob in a stairwell at Elleslie Racecourse, on New Year's Day '92.

There's a photo of me and Bob Hawke, who was the ultimate crowd-pleaser.

All these politicians had good people skills. They had too.

Latest posts