What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League rebranded?

drake

First Grade
I personally don't like it. Rugby League is the sport, NRL is just the top level entertainment version.
Unless the NRL wants to start properly supporting every RL club and comp.

Springs

First Grade
I personally don't like it. Rugby League is the sport, NRL is just the top level entertainment version.
Unless the NRL wants to start properly supporting every RL club and comp.

Exactly. Why should the game in Europe be called NRL? Will Super League be called the European Super National Rugby League?

If every non-rugby fan thought both rugby codes were the same than why aren't they asking why they hold rugby world cups every 2 years?

Anyone with any interest knows the difference between two codes.

adamkungl

Immortal
Meh.

I don't even like calling it 'League'. We have as much right to the term Rugby as the leather patch f**kwits, and should be proud of it. Also 'League' is a ridiculous name for a sport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Touch footy branding on shirts and ball showing NRL logo

12976_10151623969523074_1939587702_n.jpg

1002362_10151623969928074_1279636525_n.jpg

Fire

First Grade
I have to agree with Springs.

American and British (even though I disdain both States) don't take their kids to NBA, MLB, or EPL.

They take their kids or play basketball, baseball or soccer.

NRL is the elite level - everything else is rugby league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So should they be using the ARL badge and brand more rather than the NRL. Would they be better dropping NRL all together and go back to the ARL badge and calling the comp the Telstra cup or similar?

Fire

First Grade
It's corporate PR.

Plebs like us play rugby league.

Folks at the ARLC wanna brand it NRL - that's fine with me, whatever brings the cookies in.

NRL = elite (same as all over the world.)

Rugby league = plebs - everyday mums, dads, and kids who play it.

PR, I honestly believe it's a hair splitting topic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe, maybe not. As I said ask kids what they play and they will tell you afl not Australian rules. More and more I see the ARL using NRL to describe the game and the people running the game ie dave smith NRL CEO. At best it can cause confusion to non RL fans at worse it could be an insidious slide to dropping of the term rugby league all together to describe the sport in Australia. Ten years from now kids may be telling their mates they play NRL not RL.

supercharger

Juniors
American and British (even though I disdain both States) don't take their kids to NBA, MLB, or EPL.

They take their kids or play basketball, baseball or soccer.

NRL is the elite level - everything else is rugby league.

Is what I say, it's fine for the tards to refer to all level of their "sport" as afl, what else have they f**king got, right?
But it's different in other sports like RL. would've been punched in the throat if we said we played NHL, in junior hockey
It's just stupid