What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby league v the rest

Giallorosso said:
Rugby league is out on it's own at the minute as Australia's no 1 team sport but does anyone think that league faces a challenge from football(the world version not AFL) as the no 1 team sport in Australia?

With Frank Lowy and John O'Neill,at the helm football has a lot of potential especially with the new A-League and the fact that the Football Federation of Australia is now a member of the Asian Football Confederation which will show a lot of Australian's the huge size of the world game.

I'm a fan of both games and would love to see football do well in Australia but not at any cost to my beloved rugby league!!

Have a look at the free to air TV.

AFL and Cricket occupy most of the decent time slots.

***MH***

Bench
In terms of junior participation, Soccer outnumbers any sport in Australia. Even netball is ahead of Rugby League. The fact of the matter is that even though Soccer and Netball are non-contact sports is what makes them appealing for parents to enlist their children into, those two sports attain a higher rate of injury than mini/mod-league!

Haynzy said:
yes league may reign supreme in regional NSW and Qld but AFL is definately making an impact.
I don't know what junior league is like in the bush at the moment but I constantly hear how not enough money is being spent on it.
On the other hand AFL comentators are screaming for more money to go into junior aussie rules as so much is being spent on junior development in urban and regional NSW and Qld.

Scream all you like, AFL is on the nose in NSW and even though the only Qld team has been in 4 straight GF's, they rarely rate what League rates in Brisbane for an NRL game without a Qld team. And that's live v delayed too.

They should put a second team in Sydney and a second team in SE Qld..... :lol:

Haynzy

First Grade
I hope you're right cos personally I hate AFL.
the impression I get is that they are ahead of league in quite a few areas.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
AFL is on the nose in more places than Sydney.

Since 1995, AFL has been very hostile towards everybody in it's efforts to expand its game, and all it has done is polarise those it hasn't converted.

Added to that, the AFL is known as a sure fire ratings killer for any station.

When channel 7 had the AFL rights, they could never touch 9.

Channel 9 then took the AFL, and lost it's mantle to channel 7, the station that didn't have AFL.

"AFL - The sure way to make your channel number 2 !!"

Haynzy

First Grade
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
The impression that I get is that you don't hate AFL....

mate just cos I don't think the NRL is doing the best job it could do to promote the game outside of NSW and Qld or that I think the AFL is doing a better job of creating a nationally supported comp doesn't mean that I love the AFL.

I live in Adelaide where I am inundated with the most boring game on the planet, AFL. To watch or hear about Rugby League via the mainstream media is nigh on impossible here.

When the Rams were in the super league comp they had the second highest crowd averages across the board, around 13000. They were starting to win games and had bought well.
Their reward........sacrificed.
great job at promoting league in SA ! now the NRL are a laughing stock among the general population here.
AFL, Union, soccer and basketball are way ahead here and I hate that.

Well, I'm sorry you're stuck there sporting-wise, but you're off a bit with your figures. They had the 4th highest in SL behind Brisbane, NQ and the Warriors. In their last season (1998) they averaged 7,800.

Read Kurt's post above, AFL has made all the inroads its going to make in NSW, they've been at saturation for nearly 25 years and they're going backwards.

AFL is the laughing stock in Sydney.

League will be back in Adelaide one day..

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Green Machine said:
No, I agree with you, AFL is the biggest and best run sport in Australia. But I think we are second. Third and Fourth are a long way back,

Wrong. Cricket is the biggest sport in Australia..

Green Machine

First Grade
Cockadoodledoo said:
Wrong. Cricket is the biggest sport in Australia..

Is that so. How much bigger is the ACB's TV contract compared to the AFL and NRL? How much more turnover (money) does the ACB have compared to the AFL and NRL?

aussies1st

Staff member
cricket is wide spread like AFL but currently not many fans are turning up to the games. This season the NRL has got the crowd numbers up majorly. Don't know about AFL but im sure that they full their stadiums

Haynzy

First Grade
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Well, I'm sorry you're stuck there sporting-wise, but you're off a bit with your figures. They had the 4th highest in SL behind Brisbane, NQ and the Warriors. In their last season (1998) they averaged 7,800.

Read Kurt's post above, AFL has made all the inroads its going to make in NSW, they've been at saturation for nearly 25 years and they're going backwards.

AFL is the laughing stock in Sydney.

League will be back in Adelaide one day..

I'm glad AFL is a laughing stock in Sydney, I wish it was here.
I was under the impression that in their 1st season the Rams crowds were 2nd with around 13000 only after the Broncos.

Their last season they moved to Hindmarsh stadium which, at the time, had a capacity of around 70000 as the new stand was being built.

Latest posts