What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League World Cup 2008 - Who will join AUS, NZ, ENG, FRA & PNG?

Cheezel

Juniors
Well the count down to the 2008 Rugby League World Cup is on. Scheduled for the end of 2008 the qualifying process is underway. Teams who have some full time professional rugby league players in their ranks have a big chance of qualifying. I have listed below who I believe has what it takes to qualify for the 2008 rugby league world cup.

European Qualifier 1 - Wales
With out a doubt Wales will be hard to beat in this qualifying leg. Wales have taken a step in the right direction with the semi-professional team the Celtic Crusaders. This will do wonders for developing local talent in time for the World Cup. Local talent combined with some of their super league hero's will make Wales a competitive outfit.

European Qualifier 2 - Ireland
This was a hard one. Both Ireland and Lebanon have Super League or NRL players in their ranks. Lebanon's weakness is going to be the players picked from the Lebanese domestic competition. Ireland will have a bit more depth in this area and this will make the difference.

Pacific Qualifier 1 - Tonga
Tonga has preformed well winning the pacific cup this year. They also have players running around in England and Australian competitions. Tonga has a fairly strong domestic competition. If they can continue to build on current success they will finish top of the qualifying leg.

Pacific Qualifier 2 – Fiji
Runners up in the pacific cup this year; Fiji could be a surprise packet in the 2008 World Cup. Loti has dropped a hint or two that he could return to Rugby League in 2008. Since he played for Fiji in the 2000 World Cup you could assume that he would run out for them again. Fiji will also have some NRL and Super League talent to draw on. Who know we might even see some of the Fijian rugby union players jump over to league in 2008 for another shot at a world cup.

Repechage – Samoa
I changed my mind several times with this one and I am sure I will change it again before 2008 comes around. South Africa, Lebanon, Scotland and Samoa will battled it out for 10th spot. I think this will be a very close qualifier but Samoa should get across the line. Once again they have players running around in Australia and England. This will give them the edge over South Africa and Scotland. Lebanon may have a chance if players like Robbie Farah decide to play for Lebanon and Hazam El Mazri stays fit.

I am sure many people will disagree with my predictions above. But the most important thing is that people start talking about it. We as a rugby league community have just over two years to promote the 2008 World Cup and help make it the success it should be. I hope all the rugby league nations & fans from around the world make an effort to promote the RL World Cup. If new nations like Georgia show their qualifying game on National TV and have just under 11,000 turn up to the game the future is looking bright indeed.

Cheezel

otag

Juniors
lebanon will make the world cup imo. and this will be what the organisers are after too!

JasonE

Bench
Cheezel said:
Well the count down to the 2008 Rugby League World Cup is on. Scheduled for the end of 2008 the qualifying process is underway. Teams who have some full time professional rugby league players in their ranks have a big chance of qualifying. I have listed below who I believe has what it takes to qualify for the 2008 rugby league world cup.

European Qualifier 1 - Wales
With out a doubt Wales will be hard to beat in this qualifying leg. Wales have taken a step in the right direction with the semi-professional team the Celtic Crusaders. This will do wonders for developing local talent in time for the World Cup. Local talent combined with some of their super league hero's will make Wales a competitive outfit.

European Qualifier 2 - Ireland
This was a hard one. Both Ireland and Lebanon have Super League or NRL players in their ranks. Lebanon's weakness is going to be the players picked from the Lebanese domestic competition. Ireland will have a bit more depth in this area and this will make the difference.

Pacific Qualifier 1 - Tonga
Tonga has preformed well winning the pacific cup this year. They also have players running around in England and Australian competitions. Tonga has a fairly strong domestic competition. If they can continue to build on current success they will finish top of the qualifying leg.

Pacific Qualifier 2 – Fiji
Runners up in the pacific cup this year; Fiji could be a surprise packet in the 2008 World Cup. Loti has dropped a hint or two that he could return to Rugby League in 2008. Since he played for Fiji in the 2000 World Cup you could assume that he would run out for them again. Fiji will also have some NRL and Super League talent to draw on. Who know we might even see some of the Fijian rugby union players jump over to league in 2008 for another shot at a world cup.

Repechage – Samoa
I changed my mind several times with this one and I am sure I will change it again before 2008 comes around. South Africa, Lebanon, Scotland and Samoa will battled it out for 10th spot. I think this will be a very close qualifier but Samoa should get across the line. Once again they have players running around in Australia and England. This will give them the edge over South Africa and Scotland. Lebanon may have a chance if players like Robbie Farah decide to play for Lebanon and Hazam El Mazri stays fit.

I am sure many people will disagree with my predictions above. But the most important thing is that people start talking about it. We as a rugby league community have just over two years to promote the 2008 World Cup and help make it the success it should be. I hope all the rugby league nations & fans from around the world make an effort to promote the RL World Cup. If new nations like Georgia show their qualifying game on National TV and have just under 11,000 turn up to the game the future is looking bright indeed.

Cheezel

Well done, good read and I agree with most of that although i think a full strength Samoa will be very hard to beat in the qualifiers.

pcpp

Juniors
Are South Africa actually a strong enough rugby league nation to beat the US in the qualifiers?

From what I have heard, the full team has not played a test since 2001 and a UK based South African team played one test in 2004.

What are they going to be relying on? RU players? Expats from UK? Is their 4 team domestic competion good enough to supply 6 players to the team?

griff

Bench
People have jumped down my throat in the past when I have said this, but the qualifiers are very poorly structured. We are just going to have 10 best teams in the world there rather than a more strategic mix. The way it is currently structured, there are only going to be teams from Europe and the Pacific in the "World" Cup. This isn't a good signal of RL's global coverage and it is a bit of a waste of time for all the other countries to go through the pretence of regional qualifiers only to be smashed by a Pacific team in the repechage.

Qualifiers have been structured to get the 10 best teams to the World Cup, and seemingly without any thought to maximise the success of the World Cup itself or the benefits to international RL.

For example if Lebanon made it to the WC this would mean much higher crowds for the WC with thousands of passionate Lebanese supporters cramming the grounds, buying merchandise etc.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
pcpp said:
Are South Africa actually a strong enough rugby league nation to beat the US in the qualifiers?

From what I have heard, the full team has not played a test since 2001 and a UK based South African team played one test in 2004.

What are they going to be relying on? RU players? Expats from UK? Is their 4 team domestic competion good enough to supply 6 players to the team?

I think they have reported close to two dozen RL clubs (although not everyone believes the reports), but only had 4 PROVINCIAL sides in last year's comp, with another couple trialling and entering this year.

I think 100% of their league players would have had a union background from a very young age, but now have league experience too. I'd tip them to take out the Atlantic group, but who really knows what the Yanks or Windies will play like at full strength.

Big Bunny

Juniors
griff said:
People have jumped down my throat in the past when I have said this, but the qualifiers are very poorly structured. We are just going to have 10 best teams in the world there rather than a more strategic mix. The way it is currently structured, there are only going to be teams from Europe and the Pacific in the "World" Cup. This isn't a good signal of RL's global coverage and it is a bit of a waste of time for all the other countries to go through the pretence of regional qualifiers only to be smashed by a Pacific team in the repechage.

Qualifiers have been structured to get the 10 best teams to the World Cup, and seemingly without any thought to maximise the success of the World Cup itself or the benefits to international RL.

For example if Lebanon made it to the WC this would mean much higher crowds for the WC with thousands of passionate Lebanese supporters cramming the grounds, buying merchandise etc.

People jump down your throat probably because your preferred qualification process is a load of rot.

The 10 best teams in rugby league won't be in the World Cup. You might like to believe that in order to support your argument, but it's simply not true.

So why is it that you are in favour of a half measured regional qualification concept rather than one that goes all the way? Surely if we were to do it without emotion attached and the positives of having 10 strong teams we would need to see something other than what you're advocating?

If rugby league had enough nations able to provide competitive matches in regions outside of the Pacific and Europe then it would be worthwhile changing how the qualification process is catered to on a regional basis. But we don't have that luxury. We can't simply ignore our best in order to give a boost to nations that you for one reason or another feel are more important than the rest. And this is despite the fact that the current system already is a compromise, allowing Europe a better representation than its quality of teams might deserve.

The USA may be where the money is and Russia may be a future power of the game due to possible future playing numbers, but at the end of the day the world cup is about finding the best team in the world, celebrating the best of the game and rewarding nations who have made a genuine fist of it. The more that each nation progresses between World Cups the better their opportunities will be. When Georgia or the US can compete with the second tier nations then they will deserve to have their regions considered as auto qualifiers, but like in soccer with Oceania the regions have to earn their stripes and not just be along for the ride for aesthetic reasons.

On your last point, just what makes you think that the qualification process is unfair to Lebanon? They have as much of a chance to qualify as Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Do you believe that Lebanon's place in Asia makes them more deserving of a berth than those 3 nations?

Who are the 10 best rl nations? buggered if I know. PNG and France are already there and while they are probably both in the top 10 I reckon a full strength (ie grandparent rule) sides from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Samon, Tonga or Lebanon would probably beat them. It would be good if Lebanon can make it and if they can beat some of those others they'll really deserve it. The biggest problem is whether sides will be as strong for the qualifiers as they will be for the WC "Finals". You could see a team like Wales fail to qualify if players like Harris, Cunningham, Briers etc are missing but with those players they'd probably be one of the better sides in the WC.

nadera78

Juniors
For my money the process is pretty much spot on. There will be a mix of countries at the main event and they will have earned the right to be there. It will be the 10 best RL playing nations.

The six domestic player rule will make things interesting. Assuming full strength squads are available for the qualifiers I reckon it will look something like this;

Wales and Lebanon to go straight through from Europe. Too many seasoned pros in both teams for the others to stop them qualifying. Ireland and Scotland to go into the repechage.

Pacific is more tricky, but I think it will be some combination of Tonga, Fiji and the Cook Islands. Two will go directly through and the other into the repechage, but I'm not sure which ones it will be. Tonga big strong and powerful, but perhaps not got the halves. Fiji a lot of promising youngsters, maybe a little lightweight. Cooks, strong looking squad, especially the forwards, and people won't be focusing on them means they can come up on the rails. Samoa will fall foul of the 6 locals rule as the game there is tiny and the players not up to it (see latest Pacific Cup).

And the West Indies will be too strong for the others in the Atlantic.

That leaves a repechage of WI, Ireland, Scotland and a pacific team. Which means one hell of a good tournament as some good teams scrap for a final berth in the main event.

Big Bunny

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
Who are the 10 best rl nations? buggered if I know. PNG and France are already there and while they are probably both in the top 10 I reckon a full strength (ie grandparent rule) sides from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Samon, Tonga or Lebanon would probably beat them. It would be good if Lebanon can make it and if they can beat some of those others they'll really deserve it. The biggest problem is whether sides will be as strong for the qualifiers as they will be for the WC "Finals". You could see a team like Wales fail to qualify if players like Harris, Cunningham, Briers etc are missing but with those players they'd probably be one of the better sides in the WC.

Well that's pretty much spot on. There aren't a well defined top 10 and even if someone were to come up with a viable formula for whoever does qualify you can pretty much guarantee that it won't be the same 10 by the time the tournament kicks off. All that can be done is to manage the tournament and qualification process so that we get 10 of the better nations, whilst still getting an interesting geographic spread without unfairly including some teams that aren't up to the task.

griff

Bench
Big Bunny said:
People jump down your throat probably because your preferred qualification process is a load of rot.

The 10 best teams in rugby league won't be in the World Cup. You might like to believe that in order to support your argument, but it's simply not true.

So why is it that you are in favour of a half measured regional qualification concept rather than one that goes all the way? Surely if we were to do it without emotion attached and the positives of having 10 strong teams we would need to see something other than what you're advocating?

Why would a regional qualification process be half measured? Not sure what you are trying to get at there.

It isn't out of emotion at all, it is out of strategic vision. It is cold hard fact that international RL would benefit more from having some teams there than others and having teams there from outside the Pacific or Europe.

If we want to try and create the perception that RL is actually a serious global sport then we are shooting ourselves in the foot by having a qualification process that means Eastern Europe, the Americas, Africa, the Middle East and Asia are all likely to be completely unrepresented while some tiny Pacific islands are there instead.

The positives of having 10 "strong" teams are much less than the positives from having a more successful world cup. "Strong" is relative; the team coming out of the repechage (whoever it may be) will still get smashed by the bigger nations anyway. Since whoever it is will get smashed, we may as well have nations that bring more to the table than being marginally more competitive.

If rugby league had enough nations able to provide competitive matches in regions outside of the Pacific and Europe then it would be worthwhile changing how the qualification process is catered to on a regional basis. But we don't have that luxury. We can't simply ignore our best in order to give a boost to nations that you for one reason or another feel are more important than the rest.

Some nations are more important than the rest. The potential upside of having USA or Russia in the World Cup is far better than the potential upside of having the Cook Islands in the cup. The entire population of the Cook Islands wouldn't even fill Canberra Stadium. Stimulating interest in RL by having the USA or Russia there would give an impetus to growth in these countries. Having Cook Islands there would give an impetus to growth in the Cooks as well, but in the scheme of things this is tiny. It should be about maximising the growth of international RL by allocating resources to where there is the most to gain.

The USA may be where the money is and Russia may be a future power of the game due to possible future playing numbers, but at the end of the day the world cup is about finding the best team in the world, celebrating the best of the game and rewarding nations who have made a genuine fist of it. The more that each nation progresses between World Cups the better their opportunities will be. When Georgia or the US can compete with the second tier nations then they will deserve to have their regions considered as auto qualifiers, but like in soccer with Oceania the regions have to earn their stripes and not just be along for the ride for aesthetic reasons.

The World Cup is about the games global community coming together to celebrate rugby league and promote the sport on the global stage as well as about finding the best team in the world. Newsflash: the best team in the world ain't gonna be Fiji or Scotland. Fiji will still get smashed 60-0 by Australia. Sure Russia might get smashed 100-0, but what difference does that really make?

It isn't for aesthetic reasons that you have a global mix of teams and not just Pacific and Western European sides, it's for financial and development reasons.

The AFL with teams from all round Australia can appear to be a national competition which gives them a headstart in attracting sponsorship. The RUWC appears to be a serious global competition by having teams at the WC from all regions. The RLWC will appear to be a sport that they only play in the British Isles, France and the Pacific. This means serious global brands are less likely to want to be involved.

On your last point, just what makes you think that the qualification process is unfair to Lebanon? They have as much of a chance to qualify as Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Do you believe that Lebanon's place in Asia makes them more deserving of a berth than those 3 nations?

I don't think it is especially unfair to Lebanon. Although I do think flying nations like Lebanon, South Africa or Japan all round to world only to get smashed by Pacific or European teams is an extraordinarily inefficient use of scant RL resources.

It isn't necessarily their place in Asia that makes them more deserving of a berth, although I think having a team from the Arabic speaking world would be an extremely good thing in creating more global coverage of the RLWC by tapping into the Arabic language TV networks.

If Lebanon were at the World Cup they would easily get 20,000 people at Parramatta Stadium each paying 20 bucks to see a match between Lebanon and Fiji. If say Scotland made it instead you wouldn't be getting anywhere near that sort of crowd for Scotland vs Fiji. What not only looks better on TV but what makes more money that can be plowed back in to international development? 20,000 people for Lebanon vs Fiji or 4,000 people for Scotland vs Fiji? It should be a no brainer.

It just makes business and development sense to have a better structured qualification system.

Unfortunately there is just a lack of understanding and a lack of vision from organisers and their apologists.

ouwet

Bench
Lebanon should be there!! Lebanese games will easily draw a full house at Parramatta stadium and the merchandise sales will be HUGE!!!!! There is a huge Lebanese population in Melbourne, if they play one game down South it can really get the Lebanese population there into RL which can only help the Storm.

Big Bunny

Juniors
griff said:
Why would a regional qualification process be half measured? Not sure what you are trying to get at there.

It isn't out of emotion at all, it is out of strategic vision. It is cold hard fact that international RL would benefit more from having some teams there than others and having teams there from outside the Pacific or Europe.

If we want to try and create the perception that RL is actually a serious global sport then we are shooting ourselves in the foot by having a qualification process that means Eastern Europe, the Americas, Africa, the Middle East and Asia are all likely to be completely unrepresented while some tiny Pacific islands are there instead.

You're advocating a half measured process because on one hand you're spruiking the importance of including sub par teams with money, the population or both, whilst also including teams the that would fight out the finals based on nothing but ability. Basically you want to have your cake and eat it too, when it makes your ideas stand out not only half pregnant but hypocritical as well. Where do you draw the line?

The positives of having 10 "strong" teams are much less than the positives from having a more successful world cup. "Strong" is relative; the team coming out of the repechage (whoever it may be) will still get smashed by the bigger nations anyway. Since whoever it is will get smashed, we may as well have nations that bring more to the table than being marginally more competitive.

I can't agree. A competitive world cup would be beneficial as it would increase awareness for the international game, allowing it to be seen in a light that is positive and in turn increased revenues would be made and the roll-on effects longterm to the next world cup would be far greater. Building a stronger, better recognised and patronised cup should be our primary goal. The revenue generated would far outstrip that which would be available to developing nations under your proposed concepts. Russia and the US deserve more help, but your idea for them is window dressing and it really is little more than a short term answer and a bad one at that.

Some nations are more important than the rest. The potential upside of having USA or Russia in the World Cup is far better than the potential upside of having the Cook Islands in the cup. The entire population of the Cook Islands wouldn't even fill Canberra Stadium. Stimulating interest in RL by having the USA or Russia there would give an impetus to growth in these countries. Having Cook Islands there would give an impetus to growth in the Cooks as well, but in the scheme of things this is tiny. It should be about maximising the growth of international RL by allocating resources to where there is the most to gain.

No they aren't. Some are strategically attractive as places for sustainable longterm development with rewards, but then if you were serious about that you'd look to Wales, Ireland and Scotland first.

Just what is your criteria for throwing lifelines to the US and Russia? Tell me, just how soon do you honestly see either nation providing competitive teams against the likes of a full strength Tonga or Wales? If you're honest you'll realise just how far off the dream is and note how you're disadvantaging deserving nations in order to give a leg up to what are longterm projects that won't be due to provide fruit for several decades.

The World Cup is about the games global community coming together to celebrate rugby league and promote the sport on the global stage as well as about finding the best team in the world. Newsflash: the best team in the world ain't gonna be Fiji or Scotland. Fiji will still get smashed 60-0 by Australia. Sure Russia might get smashed 100-0, but what difference does that really make?

You really don't know what difference that makes? I take it you really don't care much for the economics of your ideas. What do you think sponsors want to see, the worst team in the comp losing by 50 or 110? It's nice to be able to imagine that the media will do us favours, but that's just not realistic. The poorer the results in the world cup the worse we are going to be hammered and be portrayed in our key markets and ignored elsewhere.

It isn't for aesthetic reasons that you have a global mix of teams and not just Pacific and Western European sides, it's for financial and development reasons.

If you want to develop the smaller nations then you've got 4 years in between world cups to do it. A successful and attractive WC tournament would allow for such development work. Your idea of turning the showpiece event into a development series is however a millstone around the neck of the WC and simply not viable fiscally in any real sense.

The AFL with teams from all round Australia can appear to be a national competition which gives them a headstart in attracting sponsorship.

The AFL was a running joke until those teams in NSW and QLD started to perform, and they perform on the back of Victorian players, with the indigenous talent not being sufficient to go it alone.

The RUWC appears to be a serious global competition by having teams at the WC from all regions. The RLWC will appear to be a sport that they only play in the British Isles, France and the Pacific. This means serious global brands are less likely to want to be involved.

The RUWC has the luxury of having the media give them a leg-up in all they do. You can do one thing the same in both games and have it reported as complete opposites, with rugby league of course taking the negative. Whilst the RUWC may appear more global it does include teams that have at one time or another during the qualification process been competitive against some of the established stronger nations. The US and Canada in rugby union are only a minor step behind the likes of Ireland, Scotland and Wales and that is because of the overall weakness of their major powers. They aren't token teams like you are advocating.

Australia in union for much of its history drew from a pool of less than 50,000 players and Ireland has beaten NZ perhaps once in the last 30 years. Such truths are quickly neglected by the union fraternity. The fact is rugby union is nowhere near as strong as rugby league at its apex and for that code its a luxury.

I don't think it is especially unfair to Lebanon. Although I do think flying nations like Lebanon, South Africa or Japan all round to world only to get smashed by Pacific or European teams is an extraordinarily inefficient use of scant RL resources.

So what would be your alternative, an automatic berth for Japan? Lebanon are hardly flying all around the world when Serbia can drive there for a game and the Russian league has away games that are of comparable distance. South Africa are isolated so there's not exactly a way out of flying unless they are hosting, but then that will still be a drain on resources. Like every team though they should have to prove their worth and fight for a World Cup place.

It isn't necessarily their place in Asia that makes them more deserving of a berth, although I think having a team from the Arabic speaking world would be an extremely good thing in creating more global coverage of the RLWC by tapping into the Arabic language TV networks.

If Lebanon were at the World Cup they would easily get 20,000 people at Parramatta Stadium each paying 20 bucks to see a match between Lebanon and Fiji. If say Scotland made it instead you wouldn't be getting anywhere near that sort of crowd for Scotland vs Fiji. What not only looks better on TV but what makes more money that can be plowed back in to international development? 20,000 people for Lebanon vs Fiji or 4,000 people for Scotland vs Fiji? It should be a no brainer.

Oviously Lebanon would be a positive, but then I'm not one who is prepared to create a rigged playing field in order to get them into the cup. I really wouldn't be surprised if they do make it. It's true that Lebanon would be easier to market, but then that's only because we're dealing with the ARL. With professional management the stadiums, host cities, ticket prices and fixtures would be announced on a continual roll-out, having started this year and being well sorted by 3/4 into 2007. That's what a no brainer should be, not surrendering and ignoring the fact that Scotland vs Fiji could not only sellout, but would provide just as interesting a fixture.

It just makes business and development sense to have a better structured qualification system.

Unfortunately there is just a lack of understanding and a lack of vision from organisers and their apologists.

I would seriously have to question if you've ever written a business plan before, let alone a successful one because whilst you have some interesting ideas, they really don't appear to be backed by a lot of thought, concrete logic or appreciation for finances.

Whilst the WC organisers lack vision I certainly would make no apology for their efforts, nor would I applaud the ability of all their detractors.

griff

Bench
Big Bunny said:
You're advocating a half measured process because on one hand you're spruiking the importance of including sub par teams with money, the population or both, whilst also including teams the that would fight out the finals based on nothing but ability. Basically you want to have your cake and eat it too, when it makes your ideas stand out not only half pregnant but hypocritical as well. Where do you draw the line?
You draw the line at the point that maximises the success of the World Cup and that maximises the benefits to international RL.

I can't agree. A competitive world cup would be beneficial as it would increase awareness for the international game, allowing it to be seen in a light that is positive and in turn increased revenues would be made and the roll-on effects longterm to the next world cup would be far greater. Building a stronger, better recognised and patronised cup should be our primary goal. The revenue generated would far outstrip that which would be available to developing nations under your proposed concepts. Russia and the US deserve more help, but your idea for them is window dressing and it really is little more than a short term answer and a bad one at that.
Not true, if anything we should have learnt from the 2000 RLWC debacle and the stunning success of the 2003 RUWC is that trying to have a competitive world cup has much less influence on how successful the tournament is than other factors. There were about 50 games at the RUWC and only about 2 were in any way competitive. What is much more important are people's perceptions of how truly international it is.

Case in point: authorities wanted to make Russia more competitive at the 2000 RLWC. A few ring ins from Australia went to play for Russia. Australia beat the Russian team with a few ring ins 110-4. Russia's only try was scored by (wait for it) Bob Campbell from Redcliffe. Without Aussie ring ins Australia might have beaten Russia 130-0. But the mere fact of having Bob Campbell playing meant that everyone thought that Russian RL, the RLWC, and the whole of international RL was a complete sham. He made them more competitive, but in doing so made international rugby league a joke.

In having a successful World Cup, authenticity beats competitiveness every time.

Do you really think 40,000 people in Brisbane went to see Japan vs Fiji because it was a high quality, competitive game of rugby in a high quality, competitive tournament? No, they would get much more high quality competitive games of rugby in the local Brisbane comp. They went because seeing two contrasting nations in a truly international competition doesn't happen in your home town every day and they were being part of something.

People don't go to rugby world cups (either code) to watch a good game of football, they go there to be part of a truly international event.

No they aren't. Some are strategically attractive as places for sustainable longterm development with rewards, but then if you were serious about that you'd look to Wales, Ireland and Scotland first.

Just what is your criteria for throwing lifelines to the US and Russia? Tell me, just how soon do you honestly see either nation providing competitive teams against the likes of a full strength Tonga or Wales? If you're honest you'll realise just how far off the dream is and note how you're disadvantaging deserving nations in order to give a leg up to what are longterm projects that won't be due to provide fruit for several decades.
Having the USA at the World Cup for the first time would increase media coverage in the US and provide some exposure for RL outside the mid-atlantic states and possibly convince a small proportion of the tens of thousands of RU players to give RL a go. Having Russia at the World Cup would stem the flow to RU and attract more interest from government authorities and sickeningly rich oligarchs. I wouldn't think they would be competitive against a full strength Tonga or Wales, but neither would most other teams. I think the benefits would bear fruit fairly quickly, but even if not the potential upside of USA and Russia means they need to be encouraged to a greater extent than some other countries.

But if not more importantly having countries like USA or Russia at the World Cup also provides a boost to the World Cup as a whole. As we have seen with the RLWC and RUWC, to be successful the event needs to be perceived as being truly international. Having Russia or the USA there would create that perception. Leaving most of the world unrepresented because there are islands in the Pacific that are marginally more competitive creates the entirely opposite perception.

You really don't know what difference that makes? I take it you really don't care much for the economics of your ideas. What do you think sponsors want to see, the worst team in the comp losing by 50 or 110? It's nice to be able to imagine that the media will do us favours, but that's just not realistic. The poorer the results in the world cup the worse we are going to be hammered and be portrayed in our key markets and ignored elsewhere.
It won't make any major difference to the on-field competitiveness of the WC, as the poorer teams have no prospect of winning and will get thrashed anyway. The only difference is the scale of the thrashing. There are not going to be any more sponsors lining up to sponsor the thrilling prospect of a bunch of teams from the Pacific islands being beaten 60-0.

On the contrary, the economics of the ideas are what it is all about. Russia or USA or Lebanon being there instead of yet another Pacific island will bring in more interest and more sponsorship because they are just much more interesting and marketable sides and add more variety and offer something different.

The poorer the results in the World Cup really don't really matter as long as the nations are seen as authentic. Namibia got beaten 130-0 by Australia in the RUWC, Uruguay and Georgia also got smashed by similar scores. But it didn't really matter because they were seen to be the authentic national team of those particular nations.

If you want to develop the smaller nations then you've got 4 years in between world cups to do it. A successful and attractive WC tournament would allow for such development work. Your idea of turning the showpiece event into a development series is however a millstone around the neck of the WC and simply not viable fiscally in any real sense.
Well the WC is actually one of the very few things that RL can do to encourage development. But of course the WC has to be successful and attractive. It will be much more successful and attractive if we learn the lessons of 2000 and 2003 and realise what actually will make it successful and attractive. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the success of the comp has very little to do with how competitive some of the lesser teams are.

My idea is actually about making it much more viably fiscally rather than just making it amongst the x most competitive RL nations.

The AFL was a running joke until those teams in NSW and QLD started to perform, and they perform on the back of Victorian players, with the indigenous talent not being sufficient to go it alone.
Exactly, the "national game" argument is essentially a myth, but the competition's geographic coverage makes it perceived to be more of a national game and therefore get more sponsors etc on board than by rights it actually should. So my argument is that when it comes to people's perceptions, geographic coverage counts. Greater geographic coverage will lead to people perceiving RL to be a more international sport, which will create a more successful World Cup.

People deride RL as only being played in Eastern Australia, the north of England, and Auckland. Having a much greater geographical coverage in the WC would reverse this perception.

The RUWC has the luxury of having the media give them a leg-up in all they do. You can do one thing the same in both games and have it reported as complete opposites, with rugby league of course taking the negative. Whilst the RUWC may appear more global it does include teams that have at one time or another during the qualification process been competitive against some of the established stronger nations. The US and Canada in rugby union are only a minor step behind the likes of Ireland, Scotland and Wales and that is because of the overall weakness of their major powers. They aren't token teams like you are advocating.

Australia in union for much of its history drew from a pool of less than 50,000 players and Ireland has beaten NZ perhaps once in the last 30 years. Such truths are quickly neglected by the union fraternity. The fact is rugby union is nowhere near as strong as rugby league at its apex and for that code its a luxury.

Well the US have never won a RUWC match against anyone. Canada may have scraped through in a couple. They still are nowhere near competitive.

Japan made it to the World Cup solely by beating some token Asian opposition. Even though they weren't as competitive at the WC as some other teams may have been, organisers knew that having an Asian team at the WC would make it seem like more of a global sport and it would be good for the game in Japan.

RU didn't suddenly get a free ride from the media. They spend a hell of a lot of time and money on clever media strategies. What they did was start to actually understand how perceptions work and how the media works.

We shouldn't say that "oh well RL gets a sh*t time from the media, they are all against us, woe is us, we better not have teams at the WC that get beaten 100-0 instead of 60-0 in case we get criticised". RL has to manage perceptions better and manage the media better. We can learn a lot from how a sport that no-one in Australia much cares about went from nowhere to selling out games between crappy nations in cities that don't even like rugby.

So what would be your alternative, an automatic berth for Japan? Lebanon are hardly flying all around the world when Serbia can drive there for a game and the Russian league has away games that are of comparable distance. South Africa are isolated so there's not exactly a way out of flying unless they are hosting, but then that will still be a drain on resources. Like every team though they should have to prove their worth and fight for a World Cup place.
No, just having cheaper regional qualifiers that are going to be more meaningful as there is not going to be the certainty of being smashed by a much stronger team in the repechage.

Instead of the Atlantic (sic) group that has been proposed for the RLWC 08 qualifying, it would have been more economic to have a more regional qualification, with the winners of these regional qualifications then playing each other to qualify if need be.

Oviously Lebanon would be a positive, but then I'm not one who is prepared to create a rigged playing field in order to get them into the cup. I really wouldn't be surprised if they do make it. It's true that Lebanon would be easier to market, but then that's only because we're dealing with the ARL. With professional management the stadiums, host cities, ticket prices and fixtures would be announced on a continual roll-out, having started this year and being well sorted by 3/4 into 2007. That's what a no brainer should be, not surrendering and ignoring the fact that Scotland vs Fiji could not only sellout, but would provide just as interesting a fixture.
It isn't really rigged, as they still would have to qualify to get there. It is just having a slightly different qualification system. Really even 95% of rugby league fans don't know how the qualifying works, so to the general public it doesn't really matter how exactly they got there as long as we can point to the fact that all teams have actually gone through some form of qualification to make the WC.

I would seriously have to question if you've ever written a business plan before, let alone a successful one because whilst you have some interesting ideas, they really don't appear to be backed by a lot of thought, concrete logic or appreciation for finances.
It is all about finances, but backed up by the knowledge that financial success is going to be influenced by perceptions about the WC more than the finances are going to be influenced by the quality of RL on display. I do have a pretty solid appreciation for finances as it happens.

Whilst the WC organisers lack vision I certainly would make no apology for their efforts, nor would I applaud the ability of all their detractors.
WWJOND. What would John O'Neill do? Love him or hate him he knows how to change people's perceptions about sport. He would be proposing something a lot more like what I am and less like what you and the current organisers are, as for whatever reason he understands how to influence the media and the general public and to make events successful.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
Griff, I understand where you are coming from, and I guess the decision that the organisers took was between quality vs spread. Clearly they chose quality, and were conservative in terms of the size and scope of the tournament.

While it would be great if league was perceived as somewhat of a global sport, I don't think that such a perception is consistent with the facts. For some time prior to the last 3 years or so league, league was actually contracting internationally, as development funding dried up following super league.

In the last few years, particularly since the development of the RLEF, league is starting to bounce back, and is clearly becoming more international, but it still has a way to go. I think we are a couple of world cups away from being able to claim our game as being in any way "global" (and I use that term relatively loosely even then).

Publicity from the qualifiers, such as the kind that Ali has been working hard to generate, will help improve the perception of the international game. While it would be great to have a "dark horse" or two in there, such as the US or Russia in there (or better still, one of the newer league nations), I don't think it is the right time yet to load the WC with uncompetitive teams.

I have no doubt that if the tri-nations and WC are successful, international growth of the game will undergo a even more of a boom than we have seen in recent years (driven by the profits and the prospect of a WC berth in 4 years time). As this happens, the perception of the game WILL change, but it will take time (and rightly so to be honest).

screeny

Bench
You both make good points but surely the global spread of the game can best be talked up via the qualifiers? The World Cup involves every nation (that has decided to enter and that fit the criteria) which is a first in RL and a sign of better things to come.

But I would say that firstly, massacres will happen whatever we do, and secondly, that changing one team to get another team in, in a bid to get a Russia or a US involved won't make that much difference: in short, the organisers have got it right.

And in any case, just getting the qualifications out of the way will be a massive achievement.

griff

Bench
Maybe even with a decent geographical spread of teams at the WC the game will never be seen as truly global, but it will definitely be seen as more international. That's what we need to aim for, appearing as international as we can.

Organisers have gone for competitiveness, but as screeny says, massacres will happen whatever we do. So a Russia or US involved won't make much difference in competitiveness, and since their mere appearance will improve perceptions of "internationalness" the organisers have therefore got it wrong.

I don't think any of us need any market research studies to tell us that the key communications issue in marketing the RLWC is that people just don't think it is fair dinkum. They think RL is only played in a few nations. Having a successful world cup requires us to turn around this perception as much as we possibly can.

The marketing of the WC will have a much harder time doing that if the marketing department is handed a bunch of teams entirely from Europe and the Pacific (and therefore consisting to a great extent of Brits and NZers) and told there you go, make this successful.

These communications issues should be considered at all stages in planning the WC, including in designing the qualification process, in order to arrive at the best possible product to promote. It shouldn't be left to people with only RL knowledge to organise the qualifiers.

To think that the WC qualifiers will fill the role of making people think the RLWC is truly international is just not going to happen. 98% of RL fans wouldn't even know all these countries from all round the world are currently involved in WC qualifying, so the general public will have no idea.

Georgia playing the Netherlands or Lebanon playing Japan is just not going to get any media traction. The media and general public (and let's face it) most RL fans are only going to start paying any attention at all when the 10 teams are all well and truly locked in and the World Cup is looming large on the horizon. So the World Cup itself has to appear to be as international as possible. The qualifiers are all under the radar and will have minimal impact on people's perceptions.