What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League World Cup 2008 - Who will join AUS, NZ, ENG, FRA & PNG?

Griff makes some good points and so do others.
For mine the WC should be for the 10 teams that deserve to be there the most. Of course we could argue forever as to who deserves it. They've got it right by auto qualifying France and PNG. But what about the rest. For example I reckon Russia or USA should probably be in ahead of Samoa based on their domestic setups. I also think Russia and the USA should be in ahead of Scotland or Ireland based on the use of born and bred talent and players resident in their nation. But Russia and the USA are no hope under the qualifying system because those nations are better on the field. The reason they are better is largely due to the recruitment of players who are not from those nations but who qualify for them. If, one day, we could get eligibility rules that make the competition more fair and equal I'd be happy with the current qualifiers deciding who makes it and who doesn't.

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
Griff makes some good points and so do others.
For mine the WC should be for the 10 teams that deserve to be there the most. Of course we could argue forever as to who deserves it. They've got it right by auto qualifying France and PNG. But what about the rest. For example I reckon Russia or USA should probably be in ahead of Samoa based on their domestic setups. I also think Russia and the USA should be in ahead of Scotland or Ireland based on the use of born and bred talent and players resident in their nation. But Russia and the USA are no hope under the qualifying system because those nations are better on the field. The reason they are better is largely due to the recruitment of players who are not from those nations but who qualify for them. If, one day, we could get eligibility rules that make the competition more fair and equal I'd be happy with the current qualifiers deciding who makes it and who doesn't.

The idea is to get the best sides through for a good tough comp. Look at the soccer world cup. Australia doesn't get a great run because they are not a top side. I think it is pretty fair and makes for some interesting games.

whatsdoing1982 said:
The idea is to get the best sides through for a good tough comp. Look at the soccer world cup. Australia doesn't get a great run because they are not a top side. I think it is pretty fair and makes for some interesting games.

Yeah but its "The World Cup" not "The Good Tough Comp". It's about getting the best rugby league nations from across the world, not necessarily the best teams. Scotland could have one of the best teams but like at the last WC there might not be a single player born in Scotland in the team. Samoa could have one of the best teams, but they don't have a domestic setup. How can these nations be considered rugby league's best? If you want a good tough rugby league comp watch the NRL. If you want a fair dinkum rugby league international tournament you need to make sure the proper rl countries are involved. They've taken a step towards that by not allowing Italy, Greece etc to be involved. Now they need to go further and make sure the countries that are involved are doing the right thing by the game.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I agree with East Coast Tiger, the world cup IMO should be a vehicle to display all that is good about international RL.

A "Scottish" side where no Scots are in the side is not as good as a team pack full of Russians, even though this 'scottish' side would put 30-40 past the Russians.

I have been absolutely enthralled over the European pool qualifiers on right now. The international forum here at LU is within my top 3 webpages at the moment, and it's all to do with Serbia, Holland, Georgia and Russia.

Now I know they are probably the playing ability of an A-grade team running around sydney but they are authentic teams with the opportunity to grow into strong leagues.

A 10th world cup spot would be more beneficial... the qualifying groups should of been "homes nations" and "continental europe"

As France is an auto-qualifer, the spot would of gone to one fo these fledgling nations who are ground-breaking in the pace of their development.

Jamaica RLA

Juniors
It is nice to see that the West Indies are not mentioned at all. If this is a reflection of peoples rating of us, hopefully it is a reflection of how our potential oposition may view us.

Even a quick look around the Super League and The National Leagues in the UK would reveal the potential candidates for a West Indies side. the likes of
Chev Walker, Ryan Bailey, Leon, wayne and Karl Pryce, or even

FULLBACK: Mark Calderwood (Wigan)
WINGERS: Richie Barnett (Warrington), Waine Pryce (Castleford), Austen Buchanan (?)/Rikki Sheriffe (Harlequins)
CENTERS: Karl Pryce (Bradford), Ryan Atkins (Bradford), Calvin Watson (Leeds)
HALVES: Paul White (Wakefield), Jordan Tansey (Leeds)
LOCK: Phil Joseph (Hull KR), Irvin Greenwood (Harlequins)
SECOND ROW: Jamie Jones-Buchanan (Leeds), Jode Sheriffe (Halifax), Liam Halliday (Leeds)
FRONT ROW: Alex Rowe (Gateshead), Jon Simpson (Halifax), Selwyn St Bernard (Gateshead), Darren Fleary (?)
HOOKER: Jermaine Wray (Hunslet)
UTILITIES: Caldon Bravo (Doncaster), Danny Williams (Leeds)

This is some wish list and if I was realy dreaming maybe

Head Coach: Alan Hunte/Elery Hanley
Assistant Coach: Anthony Farrell

But we will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ali

Bench
Jamaica RLA said:
It is nice to see that the West Indies are not mentioned at all. If this is a reflection of peoples rating of us, hopefully it is a reflection of how our potential oposition may view us.

Even a quick look around the Super League and The National Leagues in the UK would reveal the potential candidates for a West Indies side. the likes of
Chev Walker, Ryan Bailey, Leon, wayne and Karl Pryce, or even

FULLBACK: Mark Calderwood (Wigan)
WINGERS: Richie Barnett (Warrington), Waine Pryce (Castleford), Austen Buchanan (?)/Rikki Sheriffe (Harlequins)
CENTERS: Karl Pryce (Bradford), Ryan Atkins (Bradford), Calvin Watson (Leeds)
HALVES: Paul White (Wakefield), Jordan Tansey (Leeds)
LOCK: Phil Joseph (Hull KR), Irvin Greenwood (Harlequins)
SECOND ROW: Jamie Jones-Buchanan (Leeds), Jode Sheriffe (Halifax), Liam Halliday (Leeds)
FRONT ROW: Alex Rowe (Gateshead), Jon Simpson (Halifax), Selwyn St Bernard (Gateshead), Darren Fleary (?)
HOOKER: Jermaine Wray (Hunslet)
UTILITIES: Caldon Bravo (Doncaster), Danny Williams (Leeds)

This is some wish list and if I was realy dreaming maybe

Head Coach: Alan Hunte/Elery Hanley
Assistant Coach: Anthony Farrell

But we will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember you need 6 players who gained their RL education in the West Indies. It would be great if the West Indies could make the world cup, but it will be bad for the tournament if all that our media gets to hear are Yorkshire and Lancashire accents.

nadera78

Juniors
Sorry to get in the way of the dream team but a fair few of those guys certainly won't be playing for the West Indies.

Chev Walker @ either England or in union.
Leon Pryce @ England
Phil Joseph @ Wales (well last year he played for them)
Karl Pryce is probably 2 years away from playing for England and would most likely want to play for them with his brother.
Mark Calderwood will play for England when GB breaks up into the Home Nations.

The others you've probably got a very good chance of getting as they don't have much chance of playing for england, except for maybe Williams at Leeds.

Good luck with it all though.

Big Bunny

Juniors
griff said:
You draw the line at the point that maximises the success of the World Cup and that maximises the benefits to international RL.

It's statements like that make me wonder why I'm bothering to reply to you. Your idea of success is entirely subjective, based only on personal whim and perception rather than financial reality.

Not true, if anything we should have learnt from the 2000 RLWC debacle and the stunning success of the 2003 RUWC is that trying to have a competitive world cup has much less influence on how successful the tournament is than other factors. There were about 50 games at the RUWC and only about 2 were in any way competitive. What is much more important are people's perceptions of how truly international it is.

Obviously you didn't learn anything from either tournament. The 2003 RUWC was a failure in regards to international development in the context that whilst it generated a profit it would not have done nearly as well if the same plane was implimented in earlier RUWC tournaments. The media perception generated by the union tournament is one that rugby league won't duplicate. The union tournament was one staged by a body that has a history of profitability, they could afford to throw any two teams together regardless of their real world values and then market a carnival rather than a football tournament.

50 games, two competitive and propaganda by the bucket load to soften the blow. Regardless of the media being onside the tournament's one-sided matches were still looked upon as a joke. It's true that people came away with a belief that rugby union has a rich international scene, but then they also recognise that most teams are minnows with little structure in place.

Whilst you're so quick to look at two union minnows from supposedly "exotic" locations, playing to a poor scoreline and value it was important, I'm not as forgiving and nor am I as blind to the opportunity lost because of it. Given an opportunity to choose between USA v Japan, or Wales v Tonga do you really believe that the latter is less marketable?

Do you really think 40,000 people in Brisbane went to see Japan vs Fiji because it was a high quality, competitive game of rugby in a high quality, competitive tournament? No, they would get much more high quality competitive games of rugby in the local Brisbane comp. They went because seeing two contrasting nations in a truly international competition doesn't happen in your home town every day and they were being part of something.

Of course I don't, but I'm not so naive as to believe what you do either. It wouldn't have mattered what teams were playing, USA, Japan, or two teams from this region like Tonga and Samoa. The ARU and the IRB did a bang up marketing job and let past results in marketing and the production of a legitimate qualification process speak for themselves.

People don't go to rugby world cups (either code) to watch a good game of football, they go there to be part of a truly international event.

No, the majority of people at the 2003 RUWC and 2000 RLWC were there because they believed in teams giving their best after having earned their stripes. Russia losing by 100 will always be acceptable to the public provided they have earned their place in the tournament. Nobody wants second rate football if they know it's a sham opoeration like the one you're in favour of.

Having the USA at the World Cup for the first time would increase media coverage in the US and provide some exposure for RL outside the mid-atlantic states and possibly convince a small proportion of the tens of thousands of RU players to give RL a go. Having Russia at the World Cup would stem the flow to RU and attract more interest from government authorities and sickeningly rich oligarchs. I wouldn't think they would be competitive against a full strength Tonga or Wales, but neither would most other teams. I think the benefits would bear fruit fairly quickly, but even if not the potential upside of USA and Russia means they need to be encouraged to a greater extent than some other countries.

I really do wonder about how you see the world, finance and positives and negatives of your preferred concepts. Some of the notions that you come up with are nothing short of being a utopian fantasy. The USA would gain some exposure, but then do you really believe that it would be exposure that would provide long term benefits? Your idea that rugby league playing numbers in the US would have any significant increase due to world cup exposure is nothing short of ridiculous.

Look, I'll spell it out for you really simply. There are 10 teams in the US. Should any players from the 1000 current union clubs see the game and want to play the majority of them won't be able to, for living in cities where the game doesn't exist is a tad problematic. The existing clubs might gain a small increase in numbers, but that's provided there is coverage that makes an impact, and by impact I mean mainstream media. Do you expect national mainstream media coverage for a future Tomahawks team in the World Cup? How many players do you think that the AMNRL picked up following the USA v Australia game? Do you believe that had ANY significant flow on effects? Now let's say we're really optimistic and naive and really do believe there will be a jump in numbers; do you believe that 100 new players in the AMNRL attributed directly to World Cup coverage is worth damaging the tournaments future viability and credability? What's more important to you, a minor boost to one or two countries, or a tournament that with each passing 4 years is able to generate more and more significant levels of income for international development? Is $20 million 6 years from now as a profit from a well run and respected 2012 RLWC worth the maybe 50-100k worth of promotion you'd get by including a team that racks up 130 points against them?

But if not more importantly having countries like USA or Russia at the World Cup also provides a boost to the World Cup as a whole. As we have seen with the RLWC and RUWC, to be successful the event needs to be perceived as being truly international. Having Russia or the USA there would create that perception. Leaving most of the world unrepresented because there are islands in the Pacific that are marginally more competitive creates the entirely opposite perception.

A repeat of what you've said many times already, only now you're also fudging the truth by suggesting that the Pacific nations are only marginally better than the US or Russia. Now you're just being blatantly dishonest.

It won't make any major difference to the on-field competitiveness of the WC, as the poorer teams have no prospect of winning and will get thrashed anyway. The only difference is the scale of the thrashing. There are not going to be any more sponsors lining up to sponsor the thrilling prospect of a bunch of teams from the Pacific islands being beaten 60-0.

You just keep believing and repeating that, over and over again. It won't make it true, but at least you've got yourself convinced.

On the contrary, the economics of the ideas are what it is all about. Russia or USA or Lebanon being there instead of yet another Pacific island will bring in more interest and more sponsorship because they are just much more interesting and marketable sides and add more variety and offer something different.

As savvy as some people within the AMNRL are, and as well connected as the RRL appears at times, you're failing to recognise that sponsorship means very little if it doesn't go into grassroots development. Paying for the US or Russia to take part in the WC and to tour and build up with a good preparation don't mean much when the big picture is the game looking to secure an international future over 4 year periods.

The poorer the results in the World Cup really don't really matter as long as the nations are seen as authentic. Namibia got beaten 130-0 by Australia in the RUWC, Uruguay and Georgia also got smashed by similar scores. But it didn't really matter because they were seen to be the authentic national team of those particular nations.

What is it with you and saying the same damn thing over and over? I don't care how you want to present it, scorelines do matter. Maybe not on match day so much, but to the sponsors and people who did pay for their tickets they are going to be a lot happier and infuse a feel good factor when they know they got their moneys worth.

Well the WC is actually one of the very few things that RL can do to encourage development. But of course the WC has to be successful and attractive. It will be much more successful and attractive if we learn the lessons of 2000 and 2003 and realise what actually will make it successful and attractive. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the success of the comp has very little to do with how competitive some of the lesser teams are.

You're damn right its counter intuitive and for every reason already given. The RLWC is a development tool, but not one to be used in such a over simplistic and poorly thought out manner. By all means you use those products, tools or resources available but never ever abuse them, or you'll soon find that with each ensuing sale you'll have a market that is weaker.

My idea is actually about making it much more viably fiscally rather than just making it amongst the x most competitive RL nations.

It's commendable in theory. However, it's just not very smart.

Exactly, the "national game" argument is essentially a myth, but the competition's geographic coverage makes it perceived to be more of a national game and therefore get more sponsors etc on board than by rights it actually should. So my argument is that when it comes to people's perceptions, geographic coverage counts. Greater geographic coverage will lead to people perceiving RL to be a more international sport, which will create a more successful World Cup.

You've got a short memory, or perhaps a very selective one.

Geography counts when it's based on a realistic and grounded base, as is the case with the AFL. Whilst Brisbane and Sydney are still transplanted Victorians the fact is that the teams are competitive.

Tell me, honestly, does your argument still stand up when taking into account how the AFL was viewed when those two teams were at the bottom of the ladder? The AFL was seen as a joke, as I've already stated. Geography didn't mean a damn thing until it was back by results.

People deride RL as only being played in Eastern Australia, the north of England, and Auckland. Having a much greater geographical coverage in the WC would reverse this perception.

Forgive me if I don't care for the opinions of people sold rugby union propaganda. The irony of the "East Australia, North England, Auckland, South France" rubbish is that it's a piece of fiction that is only repeated in the strongest of rugby union circles. Do you think that people in the USA, Russia or Asia even have a perception that needs to be reversed? The media will trot out that line no matter what progress is shown, and that will continue for at least the next 50 years.

Well the US have never won a RUWC match against anyone. Canada may have scraped through in a couple. They still are nowhere near competitive.

Again you're being selective. WC results aside, why not be honest and acknowledge the fact that the US and Canada have both had international successes in Test matches against some of the better teams in the world?

Japan made it to the World Cup solely by beating some token Asian opposition. Even though they weren't as competitive at the WC as some other teams may have been, organisers knew that having an Asian team at the WC would make it seem like more of a global sport and it would be good for the game in Japan.

Hardly a token effort considering that Japan as well have a record on the international scene that gave weight to Asia deserving a direct qualification route in a very large field. Like I've already said, I don't believe the 10 or 12 best rugby league teams will be at the RLWC in 2008, but it will probably go close. Each team has to show that they can compete and if a region can't offer one competitive nation then they simply do not deserve a direct qualification route.

RU didn't suddenly get a free ride from the media. They spend a hell of a lot of time and money on clever media strategies. What they did was start to actually understand how perceptions work and how the media works.

I actually laughed out loud to that. I've never suggested otherwise but it's amusing that you acknowledge union's gradual growth and use of the media. They developed their WC tournament in ways that wouldn't create as much excuse for ridicule as rugby league has. They have also always been able to manage their media affairs through partnerships and oldboy networking and ignoring that fact is folly.

We shouldn't say that "oh well RL gets a sh*t time from the media, they are all against us, woe is us, we better not have teams at the WC that get beaten 100-0 instead of 60-0 in case we get criticised". RL has to manage perceptions better and manage the media better. We can learn a lot from how a sport that no-one in Australia much cares about went from nowhere to selling out games between crappy nations in cities that don't even like rugby.

Who said that? I certainly didn't, so there's no need to argue that point. Of course rugby league has to better media perceptions, but it's no point in making the task harder by bringing scorn upon the game through rash ideas.

No, just having cheaper regional qualifiers that are going to be more meaningful as there is not going to be the certainty of being smashed by a much stronger team in the repechage.

Instead of the Atlantic (sic) group that has been proposed for the RLWC 08 qualifying, it would have been more economic to have a more regional qualification, with the winners of these regional qualifications then playing each other to qualify if need be.

You dodged the question. How would you have Japan, South Africa and Japan qualify?

It isn't really rigged, as they still would have to qualify to get there. It is just having a slightly different qualification system. Really even 95% of rugby league fans don't know how the qualifying works, so to the general public it doesn't really matter how exactly they got there as long as we can point to the fact that all teams have actually gone through some form of qualification to make the WC.

Oh that's just super. First you say it's not rigged but then talk about an any which way but loose qualification tournament and passing it off under the nose of the playing public because they won't bother to figure out you've screwed them over. That's bloody ordinary to say the least.

It is all about finances, but backed up by the knowledge that financial success is going to be influenced by perceptions about the WC more than the finances are going to be influenced by the quality of RL on display. I do have a pretty solid appreciation for finances as it happens.

Wishful thinking is not a good basis for claiming knowledge or sound perception. Forgive me if I don't buy into your beliefs as they for greater part are just too watery to give credability.

WWJOND. What would John O'Neill do? Love him or hate him he knows how to change people's perceptions about sport. He would be proposing something a lot more like what I am and less like what you and the current organisers are, as for whatever reason he understands how to influence the media and the general public and to make events successful.

John O'Neill you are not. The primary difference between you and O'Neill is that if he were to propose your same ideas he would still be supporting a faulty system, only that he has the resources and track record to see that all of the negatives are overshadowed to a certain extent but only during the tournament. He would ensure a profit, but one not nearly as progressive when seen in the context of the World Cup as a series rather than one-offs. Sadly what we have is a reality where Colin Love and Geoff Carr are in charge and not only would they screw up a piss-up in a brewery but probably both of our preferred systems, only that with yours I would fear for the international growth of the game in the 4 years following each tournament.

BB makes some good points but Griff's ideas have merit too. Just so it doesn't seem like I'm on the fence I'll clarify my opinion on the matter.

I have no problem with a qualification process that delivers the best 10 nations, based on on-field performance, to the World Cup "finals". However, where I believe the current rules let us down is that we are not seeing fair dinkum nations competing. We are seeing teams full of grand parent rule eligible players beating those without for the few spots available. So basically what I would like to see is this: Scrap the grandparent rule (and any other rule that provides bullsh*t teams) and then play the qualifiers. Then the best teams can play in the finals. It may mean some teams are not as strong on the field as they could be, but it means the best proper international teams will make it based on their on-field performances.

Woods99

Juniors
I am sure you will all be interested to hear that Russia beat Australia in the recent IRB Sevens in London.

ali

Bench
Woods99 said:
I am sure you will all be interested to hear that Russia beat Australia in the recent IRB Sevens in London.

No. If you really want to tell someone post it in the union section or at a pinch, a thread about Russian RL. Stop trying to get threads off track, isn't that against the rules of forums?

griff

Bench
Big Bunny said:
It's statements like that make me wonder why I'm bothering to reply to you. Your idea of success is entirely subjective, based only on personal whim and perception rather than financial reality.

Judging by the amount of time that had passed, I must admit I thought you hadn't bothered. Glad you did though, as I think we might be getting somewhere close to some common ground.

It is based on my perception, but so are your assertions. At least my perceptions have a basis in learnings from the 2003 RUWC and 2000 RLWC, whereas yours are based solely on the overly simplistic premise that better teams = more competitive world cup = more success = more money. Classic better mousetrap fallacy.

Obviously you didn't learn anything from either tournament. The 2003 RUWC was a failure in regards to international development in the context that whilst it generated a profit it would not have done nearly as well if the same plane was implimented in earlier RUWC tournaments. The media perception generated by the union tournament is one that rugby league won't duplicate.
Yes an additional 10 million pounds a year poured into international development. If that is your idea or failure in regards to international development then you must have impossibly high standards.

I agree that we won't be able to generate a media perception on the same scale as the the RUWC. But we can go part of the way there.

The union tournament was one staged by a body that has a history of profitability, they could afford to throw any two teams together regardless of their real world values and then market a carnival rather than a football tournament.

We had a history of profitability as well until the 2000 RLWC abortion.

For the RLWC to be successful, it will have to be marketed as much more than a football tournament. If people were interested in seeing a couple of alright but in the scheme of things fairly ordinary sides play in a rugby league tournament, then Norths vs Newtown would be packed every week. It is not. So it has to be a carnival and offer people something different.

50 games, two competitive and propaganda by the bucket load to soften the blow. Regardless of the media being onside the tournament's one-sided matches were still looked upon as a joke. It's true that people came away with a belief that rugby union has a rich international scene, but then they also recognise that most teams are minnows with little structure in place.

Exactly my point - despite the matches being a joke the tournament was still an overwhelming success. This is because the tournament is much more than what the quality of the matches of footy would tell us.

Whilst you're so quick to look at two union minnows from supposedly "exotic" locations, playing to a poor scoreline and value it was important, I'm not as forgiving and nor am I as blind to the opportunity lost because of it. Given an opportunity to choose between USA v Japan, or Wales v Tonga do you really believe that the latter is less marketable?

Forgive what? 25,000 packing a stadium to see two crappy yet international teams? What opportunity was lost?

I don't think there has to be a choice between USA and Japan or Wales and Tonga. Given a choice between Wales and the Cook Islands or between Wales and USA or Japan then USA and Japan would be vastly more marketable.

Of course I don't, but I'm not so naive as to believe what you do either. It wouldn't have mattered what teams were playing, USA, Japan, or two teams from this region like Tonga and Samoa. The ARU and the IRB did a bang up marketing job and let past results in marketing and the production of a legitimate qualification process speak for themselves.

That's exactly right, it wouldn't have mattered what teams were playing. Because the tournament was perceived to be such an international event and carnival that the quality of the two teams on the pitch did not matter. Why was the tournament perceived to be such an international event? Because of the wide international variety of the teams in the tournament and the feel good media stories that this generated. Would it have been seen to be such an international event if it was just full of Western European and Pacific teams? No.

Legitimate qualification process? Japan's wins over Chinese Taipei was impressive, I'll give you that. What percentage of attendees or viewers do you think had any clue whatsoever about the legitimacy or otherwise of the qualification process?

I agree the ARU and IRB did a bang up job of marketing the World Cup. Correct me if I'm wrong but the key difference between us is that you hold the view that marketing is something that happens at the end of the process: you are handed a product and then promote that. I think that marketing should be part of the process of shaping the best possible product to then go and promote. In the case of this world cup, the key thing we need to do is convince people it is a fair dinkum international event.

We can try and convince people of that with a marketing campaign for a less than fully international product or we can convince people by marketing a more international product.

No, the majority of people at the 2003 RUWC and 2000 RLWC were there because they believed in teams giving their best after having earned their stripes. Russia losing by 100 will always be acceptable to the public provided they have earned their place in the tournament. Nobody wants second rate football if they know it's a sham opoeration like the one you're in favour of.
No sham operation here. A Scottish team winning through to the RLWC by beating Russia with hardly a Scot to be found in the team? A Samoan team full of kids from South Auckland beating USA? They are the real sham operations. Thing is, as the 2003 RUWC told us and at least you are starting to acknowledge, people will accept second or third rate football and Russia losing by 100 if they know the Russian team is fair dinkum.

People did not go the 2003 RUWC and 2000 RLWC because they believed terms had earned their stripes. It is absolutely laughable to suggest that most people who went to the 2003 RUWC had any clue about how the teams had qualified to get to the tournament. At the 2000 RLWC were Lebanon immune to critcism because they won through the qualifiers and beat the USA in front of 38 people at Disneyworld while teams that were given directly entry instead of qualifying? Of course not. 99% people have no idea or frankly any interest in the WC qualifiers. All they know is that these are the teams in the world cup. If there is any criticism about how the teams made it through, we can point to the fact that there was a formal qualification process.

I really do wonder about how you see the world, finance and positives and negatives of your preferred concepts. Some of the notions that you come up with are nothing short of being a utopian fantasy. The USA would gain some exposure, but then do you really believe that it would be exposure that would provide long term benefits? Your idea that rugby league playing numbers in the US would have any significant increase due to world cup exposure is nothing short of ridiculous.

I wonder how you get "significant increase" out of "possibly convince a small proportion of the tens of thousands of RU players to give RL a go".

Look, I'll spell it out for you really simply. There are 10 teams in the US. Should any players from the 1000 current union clubs see the game and want to play the majority of them won't be able to, for living in cities where the game doesn't exist is a tad problematic.

Do you think, possibly, a couple of union clubs might decide to have a game under RL rules and go from there? It is very lucky you didn't decide a couple of years ago to "spell it out really simply" for Serbia or Georgia or Holland that they really shouldn't bother with rugby league because the game didn't exist in those countries and therefore it would be a "tad problematic" for them to be able to play it.

The existing clubs might gain a small increase in numbers, but that's provided there is coverage that makes an impact, and by impact I mean mainstream media. Do you expect national mainstream media coverage for a future Tomahawks team in the World Cup?

I would hope there may be a quick mention on World Sport type shows but national mainstream media coverage is not required. All it takes is coverage in the specialist rugby press in the USA, which I think would be exceedingly easy to get, IF the USA happened to make it to the RLWC.

How many players do you think that the AMNRL picked up following the USA v Australia game? Do you believe that had ANY significant flow on effects? Now let's say we're really optimistic and naive and really do believe there will be a jump in numbers; do you believe that 100 new players in the AMNRL attributed directly to World Cup coverage is worth damaging the tournaments future viability and credability? What's more important to you, a minor boost to one or two countries, or a tournament that with each passing 4 years is able to generate more and more significant levels of income for international development? Is $20 million 6 years from now as a profit from a well run and respected 2012 RLWC worth the maybe 50-100k worth of promotion you'd get by including a team that racks up 130 points against them?

You pull a $20 million profit figure for a 2012 WC from absolutely nowhere and you are calling what I have to say "utopian fantasies" and wondering about how I see the world, finance and positives and negatives? please.

By way of answering your question, having a more international world cup would in no way damage the tournament's future viability and credibility. On the contrary, it would strengthen the brand of the RLWC considerably by strengthening its international credentials and therefore lead to more profit in future. I am not saying lets have the USA or Russia or Lebanon there purely on the basis of the benefits this will bring to the USA or Russia or Lebanon. It will bring benefits to that country sure, but it will bring greater benefits to the tournament as a whole’s viability and credibility. To be clear, I'm not saying lets have USA AND Russia AND Lebanon all there, in a 10 team world cup there just isn't room for that.

A repeat of what you've said many times already, only now you're also fudging the truth by suggesting that the Pacific nations are only marginally better than the US or Russia. Now you're just being blatantly dishonest.

Marginally more competitive against the major nations absolutely. Samoa got flogged at the 2000 RLWC by Australia, Russia got flogged at the RLWC by Australia. In the scheme of things, what evidence is there that the scale of the flogging really matters?

You just keep believing and repeating that, over and over again. It won't make it true, but at least you've got yourself convinced.

I guess I keep repeating it because you haven't really addressed why you think people are so much more interested in a team being flogged by 60 than watching a team being flogged by 100.

The fact is if the team being flogged by 100 adds more to the WC, then people will be more interested in seeing that team. As you concede yourself, Russia losing by 100 will be acceptable to the public if they are convinced of their legitimacy. This legitimacy comes much more from the team itself than the intricacies of how the qualifying is structured, which really only has any interest to people like us. Of all the criticisms of the 2000 RLWC, I don't really recall any criticism of how the teams actually qualified to get there. The criticism was much more about the make up of the teams themselves and therefore the legitimacy of the entire tournament.

As savvy as some people within the AMNRL are, and as well connected as the RRL appears at times, you're failing to recognise that sponsorship means very little if it doesn't go into grassroots development. Paying for the US or Russia to take part in the WC and to tour and build up with a good preparation don't mean much when the big picture is the game looking to secure an international future over 4 year periods.

I meant it would secure more interest and sponsorship for the RLWC itself through the event being perceived to be more truly international, rather than attract much more sponsorship to the individual nations, although it would do this to a lesser extent as well.

You're right, but paying for nations like Scotland or Maori to take part means even less for the big picture and securing the international future. The international future also depends, to a real extent, on the perceptions of people in Australia about international RL. For international RL to be successful, the perceptions of people in Australia need to be changed to make them more aware of the variety of international RL and more positive about international RL.

What is it with you and saying the same damn thing over and over? I don't care how you want to present it, scorelines do matter. Maybe not on match day so much, but to the sponsors and people who did pay for their tickets they are going to be a lot happier and infuse a feel good factor when they know they got their moneys worth.

Well, where is your evidence that scorelines do matter? The 2003 RUWC or 2003 CWC or 2006 Commonwealth Games were all recent prime cases in point that scorelines don't matter when it comes to successful international sporting events.

2003 RUWC: in no way competitive, but a great success.
2006 Commonwealth Games: in no way competitive, but a great success. etc.

The feel good factor is much more likely to come from something like a gallant last minute effort from Russia despite losing by 90 than it is from Samoa losing by 30. Who got more crowd support at the World Sevens a couple of years ago, the Russians or the French? The Russians. And this was in spite of not being anywhere near as competitive.

You're damn right its counter intuitive and for every reason already given. The RLWC is a development tool, but not one to be used in such a over simplistic and poorly thought out manner. By all means you use those products, tools or resources available but never ever abuse them, or you'll soon find that with each ensuing sale you'll have a market that is weaker.

It is not damaging the RLWC by having less competitive but more international teams there. By making it more international it will make the brand stronger, not weaker.

You've got a short memory, or perhaps a very selective one.

Geography counts when it's based on a realistic and grounded base, as is the case with the AFL. Whilst Brisbane and Sydney are still transplanted Victorians the fact is that the teams are competitive.

Tell me, honestly, does your argument still stand up when taking into account how the AFL was viewed when those two teams were at the bottom of the ladder? The AFL was seen as a joke, as I've already stated. Geography didn't mean a damn thing until it was back by results.

It was hardly seen as a joke, as it was still seen as a more national competition than the NSWRL.

Forgive me if I don't care for the opinions of people sold rugby union propaganda. The irony of the "East Australia, North England, Auckland, South France" rubbish is that it's a piece of fiction that is only repeated in the strongest of rugby union circles.

Not true, maybe it is RU propaganda but that is definitely the view of most people on the street and even most RL fans. The success of the world cup will depends on us changing the perceptions of the Australian public.

If you don't care for the perceptions of potential customers then I hardly see how you can talk about how best to position the World Cup to be successful. You may not like what their perceptions are, but perceptions count and we have to deal with them.

Do you think that people in the USA, Russia or Asia even have a perception that needs to be reversed? The media will trot out that line no matter what progress is shown, and that will continue for at least the next 50 years.

No, the perception that matters when it comes to making the 2008 RLWC successful is the perception of people in Australia.

To be successful, we need to change the very real perception out there amongst Australians that international rugby league is a contradiction in terms. Having a more international world cup is really the only way to do that. If we try and convince people out there that rugby league really isinternational, but at the same time have a less than international makeup of the participating nations, then we are making our marketing less effective and sending mixed messages.

Again you're being selective. WC results aside, why not be honest and acknowledge the fact that the US and Canada have both had international successes in Test matches against some of the better teams in the world?

Maybe, I haven't really followed USA and Canada's results in rugby union outside world cups that closely. They have never been competitive at any of the RUWCs that I have seen (which is all 5 of them).

Hardly a token effort considering that Japan as well have a record on the international scene that gave weight to Asia deserving a direct qualification route in a very large field. Like I've already said, I don't believe the 10 or 12 best rugby league teams will be at the RLWC in 2008, but it will probably go close. Each team has to show that they can compete and if a region can't offer one competitive nation then they simply do not deserve a direct qualification route.

Their track record is terrible, beaten 150-0 by NZ at the 95 WC for example. This wasn't that deserving of being given a direct qualification route on results alone.

I actually laughed out loud to that. I've never suggested otherwise but it's amusing that you acknowledge union's gradual growth and use of the media. They developed their WC tournament in ways that wouldn't create as much excuse for ridicule as rugby league has. They have also always been able to manage their media affairs through partnerships and oldboy networking and ignoring that fact is folly.

I agree, they have developed their WC tournament as a real international tournament, held it every 4 years, didn't ever have teams like the Maori there, didn't have teams entirely made up of grandparent rule players, didn't have Bob Campbell playing for Russia, etc.

To say they are successful because of the old boy network is, again, overly simplistic and denies their very progressive and clever media strategies and event management, such as their use of video news releases etc. It also conveniently ignores the fact that they were nowhere 15 years ago despite having just as much of an old boy network.

Who said that? I certainly didn't, so there's no need to argue that point. Of course rugby league has to better media perceptions, but it's no point in making the task harder by bringing scorn upon the game through rash ideas.

A more international tournament would bring less scorn upon the game. As floggings at the RUWC should have told us scorn comes less from results on the pitch than it does from the perceived international legitimacy of the tournament.

You dodged the question. How would you have Japan, South Africa and Japan qualify?

I wouldn't have them all qualify. I would just ditch Pacific and European teams from the expensive and pointless repechage round, have one less European qualifier and have a qualifer directly from the Atlantic (sic) group and a qualifier directly from Eastern Europe. That's the only change, which would result in minimal difference to the overall quality of the teams at the world cup yet yield a much more international variety of teams at the world cup.

Oh that's just super. First you say it's not rigged but then talk about an any which way but loose qualification tournament and passing it off under the nose of the playing public because they won't bother to figure out you've screwed them over. That's bloody ordinary to say the least.

As I've said, if we must have a 10 team world cup the only real differences I would have would be separate Eastern and Western European qualifying groups, and having the Atlantic qualifying winner qualify directly instead of the expensive pretence of getting smashed by a European or Pacific team. So it isn't rigged, it is just structured (slightly) differently.

But I stand by the statement that it doesn't matter exactly how the qualifying is structured as long as there is some form of publically defensible system in place. There is no point trying to be as pure as the driven snow and structure it so we make sure that only the better teams tend to get through. This won't protect us from scorn because no-one out there in the real world actually cares about how the world cup qualifiers are structured.

Wishful thinking is not a good basis for claiming knowledge or sound perception. Forgive me if I don't buy into your beliefs as they for greater part are just too watery to give credability.

Well in general terms would you agree that people's choice to purchase products or services is based to some extent on their perceptions about the product as distinct from the actual objective quality of the product?

I think that is obvious. Therefore this also holds for Rugby League World Cup 2008.

Would you agree that people in Australia tend to have a negative perception about how international Rugby League really is?

Would you agree that rugby league is actually a lot more international than most people think?

Do you think that the negative perception about how international the sport of rugby league really is will have a negative impact on the success of the RLWC?

Then it must also be true that if we can reduce the negative perceptions or produce a positive perception by demonstrating/educating the public about how international rugby league actually is, then it will lead to a more successful RLWC.

John O'Neill you are not. The primary difference between you and O'Neill is that if he were to propose your same ideas he would still be supporting a faulty system, only that he has the resources and track record to see that all of the negatives are overshadowed to a certain extent but only during the tournament. He would ensure a profit, but one not nearly as progressive when seen in the context of the World Cup as a series rather than one-offs. Sadly what we have is a reality where Colin Love and Geoff Carr are in charge and not only would they screw up a piss-up in a brewery but probably both of our preferred systems, only that with yours I would fear for the international growth of the game in the 4 years following each tournament.

As I've said, I don't accept that this damages the WC in the long term - just the opposite.

I also don't think I understand your argument that a more international World Cup would impede the growth of the game in the years following the WC. For the major nations, they are there anyway. For the minor nations, the experience of a World Cup appearance and pocketing the appearance fee could only lead to more growth.

colonel_123

Juniors
griff said:
haha, yes it is a bit long isn't it.

definitely worth the read though

Having read through your long debate I tend to agree with your points Griff, but to condense it I think that ENC B tournament currently underway should have gone ahead as planned and the winner could have played off against the winner of the Atlantic group to gain entrance to the World Cup.

It's ridiculous making the Eastern European and Atlantic nations go through a long, complex and costly qualifying process only to see them eliminated by a pacific nation or one of the home nations.

Under my revised and simplified qualifying process two nations out of Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Lebanon, two nations out of Fiji, Cook Islands, Samoa and Tonga and one nation from Georgia, Serbia, Russia, Holland, Japan, USA, Jamaica and South Africa would have joined the 5 auto qualifiers.

This would give the tournament 3 genuine title threats, Australia, NZ and England, a second tier of nations that will produce competitive results between each other, and one feel good story nation made up entirely of domestic players.

screeny

Bench
I agree with Griff about Atlantic group and their road to nowhere. What chance do they have, and just how much do the RLEF want to dice with financial death?

They're almost willing a financial cataostrophe on the final stages of the qualifiers, meaning that some controversial rulings will almost certainly have to be taken as teams struggle to survive in England for two weeks playing repechages.

The Windies or USA would probably get through to the WC and neither would disgrace it. I'd much rather the winner of the Atlantic get straight through, rather than another Pac or Euro team.

Big Bunny

Juniors
griff said:
Judging by the amount of time that had passed, I must admit I thought you hadn't bothered. Glad you did though, as I think we might be getting somewhere close to some common ground.
If there's common ground it's in the fact that you're coming to terms with what I've posted, as per the Atlantic qualification thread where you somehow came to the conclusion that I was agreeing with you when I have never changed my stance.

It is based on my perception, but so are your assertions. At least my perceptions have a basis in learnings from the 2003 RUWC and 2000 RLWC, whereas yours are based solely on the overly simplistic premise that better teams = more competitive world cup = more success = more money. Classic better mousetrap fallacy.
It's not over simplistic, it's common sense and based on past examples in both sport and business as a whole. A better product will always provide for better opportunities and room for expansion. If you serve up a second rate product you might do well but you won't reach the potential your business holds. Best practice is hardly a mousetrap.

Yes an additional 10 million pounds a year poured into international development. If that is your idea or failure in regards to international development then you must have impossibly high standards.
No I don't, it's that your own standards are impossibly low.

Stand back for a moment and think through what I said and don't attack the first negative that pops into your mind. Yes the RUWC in 2003 was a success, but given the path it took to get there it could have and should have been even more successful. In that regard it did not reach potential and was a failure. A business that makes a profit to you is a success, but to me it will only be a success when it aims for and reaches its maximum potential. Rugby league is a perfect example of why resting on laurels is bad practice.

Each world cup in any sport, each following event in any business, they use preceding events to build awareness, sponsorship and good will. The 2003 tournament was the first to be seriously well marketed and it was a success because of that, but had the previous tournament been well marketed and well financed rather than moderately then it would have captured a greater share of the sponsorship market and profits would have been increased by some significant margin.

I agree that we won't be able to generate a media perception on the same scale as the the RUWC. But we can go part of the way there.
That much is obvious, but without people willing to push the game in the public eye we won't get anywhere. You along with the majority of supporters and officials have shown little to suggest a belief or willingness to support in the games full potential.

We had a history of profitability as well until the 2000 RLWC abortion.
It's not enough to make a small profit and it's hardly anything to be proud of.

For the RLWC to be successful, it will have to be marketed as much more than a football tournament. If people were interested in seeing a couple of alright but in the scheme of things fairly ordinary sides play in a rugby league tournament, then Norths vs Newtown would be packed every week. It is not. So it has to be a carnival and offer people something different.
I've never suggested that the WC should be marketed otherwise so don't pretend I have in order to and weight to your argument. Any game if marketed correctly will draw a good crowd, if the market exists and the product is catered to them. Newtown and Norths aren't a draw because there is no value added to the product. Diehards watch for love of the game, whilst the majority in the public need them to be reported in the media, a general awareness created and for the competition to be more meaningful than merely existing. The NSWRL has a product which basically says "take it or leave it, this may or may not be worth your time, we don't believe in it, so why should you?" The QLD Cup isn't well marketed, it isn't a much better league, but it does get some better crowds and that's all due to self belief and that being imparted to the audience. That is what the RLWC is sorely missing above and beyond all financial needs, as important as they are.

Exactly my point - despite the matches being a joke the tournament was still an overwhelming success. This is because the tournament is much more than what the quality of the matches of footy would tell us.
You're overwhelmed very easily. Given a better quality of match very few would have given a sizeable damn which "exotic regions" were represented. But then this is covering the ground we've already examined earlier in debate. You don't appreciate the importance of presenting a quality product, and I don't value a geographic spread over that necessary quality.

With a failure to take advantage of the sponsorship market in our own heartlands it should be readily apparent why Asia and North America are secondary as a concern. In time those markets will become more important, however despite your beliefs that is not reliant solely upon the Tomahawks or Japan playing in the main draw of the RLWC. That belief represents again a lack of belief in the games value and thus further negates your stance.

Forgive what? 25,000 packing a stadium to see two crappy yet international teams? What opportunity was lost?

I don't think there has to be a choice between USA and Japan or Wales and Tonga. Given a choice between Wales and the Cook Islands or between Wales and USA or Japan then USA and Japan would be vastly more marketable.
Forgive the fact that you actually believe that the 25,000 people who attended that game were there to support those teams as opposed to ANY two teams in the tournament. Because of the marketing the RUWC did not rely upon team loyalties or the exotic, far from it. It would not have mattered which nations were playing, people were there to be a part of the World Cup. Exotic teams are interesting no doubt, but people do not pay to see the exotic. I'm not sure if you are discerning the difference between the WC as an event and your belief in the exotic creating that event.

To an extent people do not pay only to see two competitive teams either, but it's a factor far more important than where teams are from and at the conclusion of the game it's all about sending people home with the belief that they got their moneys worth and that it will flow on to future international tournaments be it in ticket sales or simply in recognition, public perception or viewing figures.

That's exactly right, it wouldn't have mattered what teams were playing. Because the tournament was perceived to be such an international event and carnival that the quality of the two teams on the pitch did not matter. Why was the tournament perceived to be such an international event? Because of the wide international variety of the teams in the tournament and the feel good media stories that this generated. Would it have been seen to be such an international event if it was just full of Western European and Pacific teams? No.
It is interesting now that you do have the same belief but tempered still by several different perspectives, at least on this matter. You've accused me of over simplifying things, but I believe that's very true of you in this subject, as I cannot agree with your assertion that the World Cup event and vibe has been boosted significantly, again by your preferred exotic locales and diverse regions. All regions deserve their opportunities, but those are given via qualification tournaments.

Would it have been seen as international without the regions you suggest have auto inclusions? Well that depends on just how we market the tournament. Do we sit on our hands and allow the media to perceive rugby league in any way they want, knocking every positive and including your exotic teams? Or do we make sure they are informed, we kept them well fed in terms of feel good stories and with the back story of the road to the world cup for those teams that missed out? I choose the latter. If we market the cup right then people will see the overall picture, of all nations that play the game and not just those who battled through the ranks to deservedly take their place in the final 10 or 12.

Legitimate qualification process? Japan's wins over Chinese Taipei was impressive, I'll give you that. What percentage of attendees or viewers do you think had any clue whatsoever about the legitimacy or otherwise of the qualification process?
Legitimate to those who run and care about each facet of such an international tournament. Again it would seem you're all about slipping below par teams into the WC to suit your model because you know the public won't notice. Don't you see any problems with doing that?

I agree the ARU and IRB did a bang up job of marketing the World Cup. Correct me if I'm wrong but the key difference between us is that you hold the view that marketing is something that happens at the end of the process: you are handed a product and then promote that. I think that marketing should be part of the process of shaping the best possible product to then go and promote. In the case of this world cup, the key thing we need to do is convince people it is a fair dinkum international event.
I believe that marketing is an ongoing process, not just at the end of a game or a tournament, but before, during, after and is continued over the next 4 years as a build up both in the public eye but more importantly in the board room, in courting sponsors and building new partnerships.

You're right, we do need to convince people that we have a fair dinkum event, but then we both have very different ideas on that matter. At the end of the day there would be very little difference between your likely WC draw and my own, and to the public it would be seen as negligible.

We can try and convince people of that with a marketing campaign for a less than fully international product or we can convince people by marketing a more international product.
Or we can show them the truth of the matter, offer them the best product and make them aware of our presence wherever the game is played.

No sham operation here. A Scottish team winning through to the RLWC by beating Russia with hardly a Scot to be found in the team? A Samoan team full of kids from South Auckland beating USA? They are the real sham operations. Thing is, as the 2003 RUWC told us and at least you are starting to acknowledge, people will accept second or third rate football and Russia losing by 100 if they know the Russian team is fair dinkum.
When I hesitated this week in posting my previous response it was because of paragraphs like the one above. I'm willing to debate the subject, but I'm not interested in having to clarify my opinions when they are already quite clear and well noted. I do not see much value in the grandparent rule, and yes to an extent I would agree they are sham operations. However, equally I do not find value in the Russian team playing in the RLWC main draw without having qualified via a realistic and competitive route, and that is regardless of the teams makeup. I would not be happy about any team heavily reliant upon the grandparent rule winning through. Lebanon despite their progress are a team that I would not be supporting or knocking one way or another. As long as they play to tournament rules then fair play to them, but my preference will always be for teams that are primarily home grown.

People did not go the 2003 RUWC and 2000 RLWC because they believed terms had earned their stripes. It is absolutely laughable to suggest that most people who went to the 2003 RUWC had any clue about how the teams had qualified to get to the tournament.
I admit I did word that statement poorly. My belief is that people at the tournament will have appreciated and supported the teams because they earned their stripes, but that is not the initial reason for why they were there. People attend cup games for a variety of reasons, it's the basic principle of seeing the best, or equivalent via region that gives legitimacy to the tournament. Someday the RLWC will see a direct path for Asia and the Americas, but right now neither region is competitive against anyone but the smallest of minnows in every other region, thus they do not yet deserve a direct qualification route.

At the 2000 RLWC were Lebanon immune to critcism because they won through the qualifiers and beat the USA in front of 38 people at Disneyworld while teams that were given directly entry instead of qualifying? Of course not. 99% people have no idea or frankly any interest in the WC qualifiers. All they know is that these are the teams in the world cup. If there is any criticism about how the teams made it through, we can point to the fact that there was a formal qualification process.
People have little to no interest, but it's up to the marketers to make sure they appreciate the depth of the tournament. Doing any less is a wasted opportunity.

I wonder how you get "significant increase" out of "possibly convince a small proportion of the tens of thousands of RU players to give RL a go".
That's the point. You don't.

Do you think, possibly, a couple of union clubs might decide to have a game under RL rules and go from there? It is very lucky you didn't decide a couple of years ago to "spell it out really simply" for Serbia or Georgia or Holland that they really shouldn't bother with rugby league because the game didn't exist in those countries and therefore it would be a "tad problematic" for them to be able to play it.
A couple of clubs? Probably not, but then 2 clubs is your idea of validating the automatic inclusion of the US into the WC?

Your latter point is nothing short of bizarre. I'll let you work that one out on your own because I really don't think anyone else on this forum would draw the same ridiculous conclusion about my beliefs or directly from my words.

I would hope there may be a quick mention on World Sport type shows but national mainstream media coverage is not required. All it takes is coverage in the specialist rugby press in the USA, which I think would be exceedingly easy to get, IF the USA happened to make it to the RLWC.
What do you base that on? The AMNRL have had advertisements on Fox World in the past and links on that to their website, what major positives have come from that? The AMNRL has made steady progress in recent years and they have often pointed to the fact that they won't expand just to build numbers ahead of increased quality or in maintaining it. What makes you think that they are even prepared for an increase of 1-2 clubs outside of their established regions? Again I find your views on the possible positives for the US to be far beyond the realistic expectations, which is very amusing given that you consider me to be unrealistic with my own projections and rough extrapolated examples.

You pull a $20 million profit figure for a 2012 WC from absolutely nowhere and you are calling what I have to say "utopian fantasies" and wondering about how I see the world, finance and positives and negatives? please.
Based on growth calculated on a somewhat conservative estimate and yes, a rough guess for profits I really do believe that 20 million is an achievable goal. 2008 if marketed well and gains a profit, one would hope for somewhere in the vicinity of 3-5 million dollars in gate receipts, international television sales to a value of 3-5 million and sponsorship to a value of 5 million. In the end I believe the profits would be eaten into significantly by marketing costs and building for future development. The leftover for international development really would be a boost, but not anywhere near what I would expect by 2012. The Australian market is a lot more open to a RLWC than the UK and our market cities are each capable of generating matches that allow for healthy profit margins, our television market is well understood and it should be readily apparent just how much domestically the RLWC in 2008 should be worth to whichever network bids for it. 2008 should be the basis for building 2012, not unlike 2000 should have been for 2004, but wasn't due to incredibly poor management and wasted opportunities. 2012 should be able to generate heavy profit margins based on 2008 viewing figures, attendances, positive media owing to competitive matches, increased budget and 4 years of fans knowing what to expect.

Should an element like my belief in the competitive nature of the tournament fail it will heavily affect profits for 2012 and I would be the first to concede that the 2008 cup is a failure by my own standards, regardless of a healthy profit.

Big Bunny

Juniors
By way of answering your question, having a more international world cup would in no way damage the tournament's future viability and credibility. On the contrary, it would strengthen the brand of the RLWC considerably by strengthening its international credentials and therefore lead to more profit in future. I am not saying lets have the USA or Russia or Lebanon there purely on the basis of the benefits this will bring to the USA or Russia or Lebanon. It will bring benefits to that country sure, but it will bring greater benefits to the tournament as a whole’s viability and credibility. To be clear, I'm not saying lets have USA AND Russia AND Lebanon all there, in a 10 team world cup there just isn't room for that.

Amazing. Well griff it's great to see you agree with my viewpoint in the major point of discussion.

There is no doubting that Japan, Russia or the US would bring positives. I do think however that you do rate them much more than reality should allow though. Sure, they wouldn't damage the credibility, but that's provided that they qualify via games against other good teams and not just the best in their region, who really aren't up to par.

The RLWC will never feature the "best 10 teams" but it can feature perhaps the best 5 and below them 5 teams that are among 7-9 that are all at roughly the same level. When the US, Japan or Russia reaches that level, or any team in their regions do then there might be a case for giving the region an automatic berth.

Marginally more competitive against the major nations absolutely. Samoa got flogged at the 2000 RLWC by Australia, Russia got flogged at the RLWC by Australia. In the scheme of things, what evidence is there that the scale of the flogging really matters?

It matters because we're still discussing it, that should be rather obvious. If people think they are going to see Georgia or Russia get hammered by 100 then you're going to have to market the game heavily and so well that it more than likely will eat into any profits and become a heavy burden. People are well educated in rugby league about who is on top of the tree and what to expect from the minnows. In rugby union people often don't even know who is playing for their states major cross border rival let alone how an international match might go. It's much easier to sell crap to the blind, as you've already advocated.

I guess I keep repeating it because you haven't really addressed why you think people are so much more interested in a team being flogged by 60 than watching a team being flogged by 100.

That's fair, but my perspective is not that people want to watch a team get flogged by 60, but that they would rather see that and avoid the 100 point flogging. In 2008 I don't believe we will see anywhere near as many hidings as you might be envisioning. Just from curiosity how many do you see, because I genuinely don't know and am not about to pretend I do.

The fact is if the team being flogged by 100 adds more to the WC, then people will be more interested in seeing that team. As you concede yourself, Russia losing by 100 will be acceptable to the public if they are convinced of their legitimacy. This legitimacy comes much more from the team itself than the intricacies of how the qualifying is structured, which really only has any interest to people like us. Of all the criticisms of the 2000 RLWC, I don't really recall any criticism of how the teams actually qualified to get there. The criticism was much more about the make up of the teams themselves and therefore the legitimacy of the entire tournament.

I don't accept that. Russia losing by 100 as already has been stated is not something I would look forward to. It's true that I feel more comfortable about a team filled with Russian born players losing, but it won't be a legitimate effort if they aren't in such a position without qualifying among the better 2nd tier nations. Even in the 2000 WC, in retrospect I wish the Russians never took part. I cheered for them, and I wished them well, but they offered no significant positives, and that goes against your entire argument.

I meant it would secure more interest and sponsorship for the RLWC itself through the event being perceived to be more truly international, rather than attract much more sponsorship to the individual nations, although it would do this to a lesser extent as well.

I'm glad you said that, as it does make your beliefs a lot more realistic, but that was never how you presented your opinion previously.

You're right, but paying for nations like Scotland or Maori to take part means even less for the big picture and securing the international future. The international future also depends, to a real extent, on the perceptions of people in Australia about international RL. For international RL to be successful, the perceptions of people in Australia need to be changed to make them more aware of the variety of international RL and more positive about international RL.

I agree in regard to the Maori, not so sure about Scotland though as I've yet to give that much thought, but I will return to it. We do need to change Australian perceptions, but what you're either failing to see or choosing not to is that the task is much harder when not offering the best possible product. When it comes to the idea of the WC being an event due to the inclusion of names such as the US and Japan, they can bring a little extra colour to a tournament, I agree, but it just doesn't mean much ahead of the game being a business. Let's look at a real world example, with that being the World 7's. People didn't attend the tournament to see Japan for the most part. In general the fans went to see their clubs doing well. People like those of us on this forum are in the minority, where we love international rugby league. To others the minnow nations are just colour, that are interesting but not really a drawcard. The only thing that will change this is to offer them competitive matches. The biggest drawcard in the World 7's to the general public rather than the internationalists was Fiji, and that is because of their competitive nature, not because they were exotic. Lebanon drew crowds, but for the same reason the NRL clubs did - brand loyalty (a crude term in this instance, but appropriate).

Well, where is your evidence that scorelines do matter? The 2003 RUWC or 2003 CWC or 2006 Commonwealth Games were all recent prime cases in point that scorelines don't matter when it comes to successful international sporting events.

Oh but they are cases that support my side of the debate.

The Commonwealth games was a success due to peoples interest in the overall concept, but individual sports within it are a lot more successful than others. People went to the union there because they either liked the sport, disliked it less than the other sports available, or simply because what they wanted was either too expensive or no longer available. In their interest of being a part of the event they jumped in even if they aren't union fans, in much the same way as people go in large numbers to watch rubbish like curling. They don't "like" the sport, they like being a part of the Olympics event.

The RUWC was a success, but then it fails in that a competitive tournament at all levels would make for the next RUWC a lot more marketable than it will turn out to be. The kid selling lemonade for 5c is a success after he's sold 5 drinks. The kid however who has sold lemonade for 5c and the same amount of drinks but made sure his were actually cold is more of a success. Sure you might look at the same profit margins, but the second kid will likely have more customers, repeat interest and more good will imparted during future trading, and that is what really where I coming from in all of this debate.

2003 RUWC: in no way competitive, but a great success.
2006 Commonwealth Games: in no way competitive, but a great success. etc.

2003 RUWC: Not as successful as it should have been.
2006 Commonwealth Games: Very competitive, but people are willing to accept the crap parts when its all that is left once the swimming has been sold out.

The feel good factor is much more likely to come from something like a gallant last minute effort from Russia despite losing by 90 than it is from Samoa losing by 30. Who got more crowd support at the World Sevens a couple of years ago, the Russians or the French? The Russians. And this was in spite of not being anywhere near as competitive.

A feel good factor does indeed come from a gallant last effort, but then that fades after 4 years and all that people remember is how poor the game or the team was.

It is not damaging the RLWC by having less competitive but more international teams there. By making it more international it will make the brand stronger, not weaker.

Interesting question. I believe that it's a matter of balance. 10 teams is good because it forces a number of teams of a similar quality to fight out the 5 qualification slots. 12 is a bit worse, 16 is terrible. 8 is probably too small and comes within the realms of creating poor perceptions within the public, but if we only had 8 or less competitive teams then it would be madness to go with 8 or more in the tournament.

It was hardly seen as a joke, as it was still seen as a more national competition than the NSWRL.

Not sure how you can say that. Most people in NSW and QLD laughed at the AFL and rightly so. They had proven nothing, but to their credit they pushed forward and put their critics to the sword.

Not true, maybe it is RU propaganda but that is definitely the view of most people on the street and even most RL fans. The success of the world cup will depends on us changing the perceptions of the Australian public.

The point stands. It's propaganda from union circles and just mouthed by others in areas where union is strong. Yes we do need to change perceptions, but non competitive teams aren't really going to help with those efforts.

If you don't care for the perceptions of potential customers then I hardly see how you can talk about how best to position the World Cup to be successful. You may not like what their perceptions are, but perceptions count and we have to deal with them.

No, I don't care to appreciate those opinions. There's a big difference between not appreciating an opinion and simply ignoring it.

No, the perception that matters when it comes to making the 2008 RLWC successful is the perception of people in Australia.

To be successful, we need to change the very real perception out there amongst Australians that international rugby league is a contradiction in terms. Having a more international world cup is really the only way to do that. If we try and convince people out there that rugby league really isinternational, but at the same time have a less than international makeup of the participating nations, then we are making our marketing less effective and sending mixed messages.

Correct. But we do not have compatible ideas when it comes to how we believe those perceptions can be changed.

Maybe, I haven't really followed USA and Canada's results in rugby union outside world cups that closely. They have never been competitive at any of the RUWCs that I have seen (which is all 5 of them).

Nor have I, but I have on occasion looked at the stats for one reason or another. Both nations do perform on occasion in internationals against some of the more traditional powers. Those are occasional upsets, but it is still a lot more credible than their rugby league equivalents who have yet to beat anyone of major standing.

Their track record is terrible, beaten 150-0 by NZ at the 95 WC for example. This wasn't that deserving of being given a direct qualification route on results alone.

Yes that is terrible, and personally if I was running the RUWC I wouldn't include them, but at least there is a valid argument for their inclusion going on some of their results. Rugby league cannot yet offer the same.

I agree, they have developed their WC tournament as a real international tournament, held it every 4 years, didn't ever have teams like the Maori there, didn't have teams entirely made up of grandparent rule players, didn't have Bob Campbell playing for Russia, etc.

Yep, and despite that they still could have done better. They like rugby league didn't get serious until late, but they still beat us by a fair margin. We need to ensure that every 4 years our WC is not only a great tournament but the major marketing tool for something more important - THE NEXT World Cup!

To say they are successful because of the old boy network is, again, overly simplistic and denies their very progressive and clever media strategies and event management, such as their use of video news releases etc. It also conveniently ignores the fact that they were nowhere 15 years ago despite having just as much of an old boy network.

It is to an extent, but then I'm talking about a number of factors, not an exhaustive list. You shouldn't be quick to disregard a valid point just because you can via partial obstruction. Rugby league would benefit tremendously from the positives that the old boys in union bring to it, it's all too convenient to dismiss that.

A more international tournament would bring less scorn upon the game.

True, but we need to build that on competitive teams.

As floggings at the RUWC should have told us scorn comes less from results on the pitch than it does from the perceived international legitimacy of the tournament.
No, the RUWC told us more about the importance of being able to manipulate the media despite who pathetic your product is. The quality we have as opposed to union, combined with a somewhat better marketing approach should help, but then like everything in every subject we've discussed it's simplistic. That won't change unless we are involved with the actual process and not just debating it online without fruits.

I wouldn't have them all qualify. I would just ditch Pacific and European teams from the expensive and pointless repechage round, have one less European qualifier and have a qualifer directly from the Atlantic (sic) group and a qualifier directly from Eastern Europe. That's the only change, which would result in minimal difference to the overall quality of the teams at the world cup yet yield a much more international variety of teams at the world cup.

That's not too bad in theory. I'd like that if the Atlantic and Eastern European nations were up to the task. Who knows, maybe Georgia will surprise me and prove that next time around Eastern Europe should be given its own auto qualifier, but I doubt it.

As I've said, if we must have a 10 team world cup the only real differences I would have would be separate Eastern and Western European qualifying groups, and having the Atlantic qualifying winner qualify directly instead of the expensive pretence of getting smashed by a European or Pacific team. So it isn't rigged, it is just structured (slightly) differently.

Fair enough. It's a workable system, but I don't believe the game is ready for it at this stage.

But I stand by the statement that it doesn't matter exactly how the qualifying is structured as long as there is some form of publically defensible system in place. There is no point trying to be as pure as the driven snow and structure it so we make sure that only the better teams tend to get through. This won't protect us from scorn because no-one out there in the real world actually cares about how the world cup qualifiers are structured.

No matter what we'd never get to driven snow white anyway. I am not advocating that. We'll get scorn regardless of what we do, and I know we agree that it should be minimised, but again our ideas simply are too different in this regard, and so be it.

Well in general terms would you agree that people's choice to purchase products or services is based to some extent on their perceptions about the product as distinct from the actual objective quality of the product?

I think that is obvious. Therefore this also holds for Rugby League World Cup 2008.

That is true of any product or service, yes.

Would you agree that people in Australia tend to have a negative perception about how international Rugby League really is?

You know I do.

Would you agree that rugby league is actually a lot more international than most people think?

A lot? No, not really. We've come a long way, but in many of the newer nations we have a minimal presence.

Do you think that the negative perception about how international the sport of rugby league really is will have a negative impact on the success of the RLWC?

It really depends on how our marketing is done and how we handle the negative media in this country. If our media partners work with us then we will face a roaring success, but if they don't then the tournament could be lucky to make some fair profits from each game, but not be able to cash in for the following world cup.

Then it must also be true that if we can reduce the negative perceptions or produce a positive perception by demonstrating/educating the public about how international rugby league actually is, then it will lead to a more successful RLWC.[/quot]

Yet again you're posting the blatantly obvious to all and sundry.

As I've said, I don't accept that this damages the WC in the long term - just the opposite.

That's your opinion, you're welcome to it but the line of logic employed leaves your concepts in my eyes far from reasonable.

I also don't think I understand your argument that a more international World Cup would impede the growth of the game in the years following the WC. For the major nations, they are there anyway. For the minor nations, the experience of a World Cup appearance and pocketing the appearance fee could only lead to more growth.

I think you understand a fair slice of what I've said, but missed one vital point in the discussion. I agree that minor nations appearing will only lead to growth for them, but overall the funds available to them would not be as great. It's a matter of weighing up the positives, not so much in looking for the negatives. Put simply do you prefer a team getting a few sponsors and a bit of increased interest, a small grant from tournament profits, if any and that more than likely leads to very little domestic development, or do you prefer a larger grant from tournament profits to that nation along with others, more than likely better than what would be gained via the other route, allowing structured growth?