What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League World Cup 2008 - Who will join AUS, NZ, ENG, FRA & PNG?

Calixte

First Grade
Maybe you guys could do an abridged version for those of us who post at work.

Although I am interested, I don't really want to put aside two hours to read this thread...

Big Bunny

Juniors
Calixte said:
Maybe you guys could do an abridged version for those of us who post at work.

Although I am interested, I don't really want to put aside two hours to read this thread...

Can't help sorry. I post at work (which is from home) and I already have to make up for this mornings post with work this evening.

It's the who can do the longest post competition. BB Just took the lead so the pressure is on you griff. Let's see what you've got.

The funniest thing is the colonel's compromise system is actually the best with one small nation going through.

griff

Bench
Without wanting to mischaracterise Big Bunny's argument, in a nutshell I think it is about this:

He thinks a more competitive but less international world cup will be the best way to lead to a more successful world cup.

I think that a slightly less competitive world cup, but with more of a variety of international teams, will lead to a more successful world cup and lead to growth in nations that have a bigger potential.

I'll be able to address some of the major points raised a bit later or perhaps tomorrow.

griff

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:
It's the who can do the longest post competition. BB Just took the lead so the pressure is on you griff. Let's see what you've got.
Although technically his was split into two separate posts, so I think it doesn't count.

The funniest thing is the colonel's compromise system is actually the best with one small nation going through.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty good, although I think only having 1 team would still leave the rest of the world unrepresented. Two teams (one from "Atlantic", one from ENC B - ie Eastern Europe) would be better IMO.

hutch

First Grade
i would prefer to see legitimate international teams with players committed to that nation for life, then players make themselves available to teams just for the world cup, then reverse their decision when they make aus, nz or eng.

i would also prefer weekends set aside for rep games so players actually get to play some games for their countries, not have to wait for a world cup every 4 years.

but, hey, thats just me!!!!!!!

Yeah I reckon GP rule players should at least have played for their nation before they're allowed to play in the WC. That at least shows they've got some committment to that nation. Look at how many players never played for their adopted country again after the last WC and look at how many played for other countries.

bobbis

Juniors
Every other sport has the grand parent rule, so there's no reason league shouldn't have it. I think so long as they have a 1 nation for life policy including WCs unlike in 2000, then it will ensure players are actually committed to the country they're playing for and don't appear as merely ring ins.

Yeah I'd agree with that, except even that won't stop us from being ridiculed if we put out Irish and Scottish teams full to the brim with Aussies and Poms. Also there seems to be plenty of 30plus players who decide to put their hand up to play for these countries for one off events. If a player is reaching the end of his career and hasn't represented he might give up on playing for his real country and just decide in his last year or two to play for another country. The point is players should be playing for the country they feel is their own, or at least feel a close enough affinity to that they will commit to play for them at every opportunity for their whole career.

bobbis

Juniors
It won't stop people ridiculing it completely, but you need concrete rules not subjective ones. Its up to individual nations how much they'll use or abuse the rules, if they send out a side of 13 Aussies yes they'll look bad but they're entitled under the rules to do so if the players are eligible. Yes players should be playing for the country they feel is their own however I don't think rules should be applied subjectively. I don't want to see teams of 13 Aussies dressed in another nations colours but its up to the individual nations who they want to represent them. I wouldn't be against moves to have a minimum number of domestic players made compulsary.

griff

Bench
Finally managed to get a time to reply. I'm not going through point by point, I think we were just going back and forth there so I will concentrate on some major points and clarifying my argument a little. Hope I haven't taken anything you've said too out of context.

First off, I'm a bit blown away that you don't think the 2003 RUWC was a massive success. I don't accept for one minute that the lack of competitiveness of 2003 damaged the RUWC in future years, which is the core of your argument. The 2007 RUWC will be a huge event, with lots of big companies already signed up for multi-million dollar sponsorships. It is if anything just getting bigger.

With the 2003 World Cup, a better quality of teams and a better quality of matches wouldn't have made much difference, as people weren't actually there to watch the rugby union.

The main thrust of my argument is in terms of the overall makeup of the tournament, so talking about the marketing of any match in isolation is not that meaningful, although I do think there is going to be some curiosity/underdog factor for matches involving the exotic minnow nations.

So I'm not saying that they went to see those two teams at the RUWC in particular as opposed to any other two teams because they were "exotic". My argument is a little more nuanced than that and I want to get across exactly what I mean. The appearance of a diverse range of "exotic" (for want of a better word) teams at the WC adds to people's perceptions of the WC as a whole being something interesting and international, and a real carnival and event, so people will be more likely to go and see any two teams.

I think you had a good word for it, it is about the vibe of the world cup. If the vibe of the world cup is interesting, international and exotic than more people will be interested in going. For the most part, they won't be going to see a good rugby league game. And that's actually a good thing because most of the rugby league games there won't be that good. NRL games each week serve up much better quality than most of what the RLWC will be able to give us.

So we have to give potential customers something different to just a game of rugby league, we need to give them an international carnival and event that they don't get every day. To give them that interesting international carnival we need some colour, and a broad range of international teams will provide that. If we end up with something which is largely the British Isles nations and a lot of Pacific Islands, then we have a lot less diversity, less cultures, less languages, and an event that is a lot less attractive and interesting.

I don't expect everyone to agree with that because it is probably a complex argument to get across (it's probably taken me 5,000 words to finally get it out), but the evidence is there to support that.

Big Bunny said:
Would it have been seen as international without the regions you suggest have auto inclusions? Well that depends on just how we market the tournament.

Maybe, but it makes the marketing much more difficult. If on one hand you are trying to market the World Cup as an international event and carnival, and on the other hand the World Cup is not as international as it might be, you have shot yourself in the foot and all the marketing in the world isn't going to be able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. As someone in the industry yourself, you shouldn't be overestimating the power of marketing, particularly with the very limited budget that the RLWC will have.

As an aside how would you market the tournament? As a series of competitive RL matches or as an international carnival? If people go expecting a series of competitive RL matches they will be seriously disappointed. It has to be marketed as an international carnival – and therefore the competition should be made up of teams that will give us that international carnival we are trying to market.

Do we sit on our hands and allow the media to perceive rugby league in any way they want, knocking every positive and including your exotic teams? Or do we make sure they are informed, we kept them well fed in terms of feel good stories and with the back story of the road to the world cup for those teams that missed out?

Of course we don't have a World Cup with more of a variety of international teams and then sit on our hands and don't have a good PR strategy.

I think we have to be realistic here about how much play the world cup qualifiers are going to get. Certainly not enough for the wholesale public attitude change towards international RL that we need to make the WC successful.

How much coverage did (non-Australian) world cup soccer qualifiers get in Australia? Hardly anything if at all. Well RLWC qualifiers are going to be 10 times less coverage than that. People (particularly the general public) will only start taking notice when the 10 teams are finalised and the World Cup is a few weeks away.

A World Cup with a team like Russia at it will have more diversity and therefore be a much richer vein for feel good stories to feed to the media.

If it doesn't negatively influence how the RLWC was perceived and would make it more successful, I have no problems whatsoever with doing anything in the qualifiers short of match fixing. Of course I'm not suggesting anything of the sort, I am just suggesting fair dinkum regional qualifiers so that each region is represented at the World Cup, not semi-regional qualifiers who then have to battle through to certain losses in a repechage.

On profits - do you remember a few years ago in Rugby League World they had the financial statements for the 2000 RLWC? There are a lot of costs in there. I agree $14-15 million on the income side for the 2008 RLWC in Australia is a reasonable estimate for a successful tournament. But the costs for ground hire, staff, consultants, drug testing, security, insurance, medals, entertainment etc would easily add to about 12 million. Doesn't leave much for appearance fees and prize money, let alone a profit at the end of the day. I can't really see income rising from $15m to $35 million in four short years time.

I believe that it's a matter of balance. 10 teams is good because it forces a number of teams of a similar quality to fight out the 5 qualification slots. 12 is a bit worse, 16 is terrible. 8 is probably too small and comes within the realms of creating poor perceptions within the public, but if we only had 8 or less competitive teams then it would be madness to go with 8 or more in the tournament.

We actually only have 3 competitive teams in the tournament. RU has about 4, soccer only has maybe 6. But that doesn't mean we should have a 3 team World Cup. Scotland or Samoa don't add an awful lot in terms of competitiveness. Neither do they add nearly as much colour as Russia or Lebanon or the USA. We will already have Ireland and Wales and Tonga and Fiji there, so Scotland or Samoa don't really give us anything new.

The success of the RLWC will depend on the perception it can create with the public, either directly or via the media. Media partners or a massive advertising budget won't change that perception anywhere near as readily as a couple of little changes to the tournament line up.

The actual quality of a product is secondary to people's perceptions of it. Look at New Coke, lots of development and testing and focus groups proved that it was a better tasting product. Even a better product with a massive marketing and media campaign still didn't convince people because they didn't see it as the real thing. We need for people to see the RLWC as the real thing, and it is not about a better quality product or about a marketing and media campaign. It is about making the RLWC seen to be more genuinely international by having a greater level of diversity.

pcpp

Juniors
griff said:
We actually only have 3 competitive teams in the tournament. RU has about 4, soccer only has maybe 6. But that doesn't mean we should have a 3 team World Cup. Scotland or Samoa don't add an awful lot in terms of competitiveness. Neither do they add nearly as much colour as Russia or Lebanon or the USA. We will already have Ireland and Wales and Tonga and Fiji there, so Scotland or Samoa don't really give us anything new.

Soccer doesn't have 6 competitive nations.

RL does have 3 (maybe 4 if French development can get a go on), RU does have 4-6.

The difference between the ability to win a world cup and the ability to be competitive is way different.

Soccer has at least 32 competitive nations. No one will lose 10-0 in the Soccer World Cup. Teams will lose 100-0 in the RL and RU world cup. The 3rd best soccer team drew with the 42nd best soccer team.

griff

Bench
That's the low scoring nature of soccer, where the best team doesn't always win. In terms of competitiveness, the point still stands.

obelix

Juniors
For me, the proof of Griff's argument comes from the ludicrous amount of coverage that Romania Vs (some other lower level RU nation) got in the 2003 RUWC (I'm talking about the coverage in Britain BTW). The angle was "it's being played in Tasmania, it's their only RU world cup game and people are being encouraged to adopt a side to cheer on".

There's a combination of marketing brilliance and inbuilt RU sympathy amongst the British press to thank for this, of course. But to give the IRB credit, they've taken an event where I assume there were virtually no travelling fans, in a place far removed from the main world cup action, which was likely to be a terrible game and by virtue of playing it in one of the less probable places in Australia and getting the public involved, you've got an event which helps to define the spirit of the World Cup. This then feeds into the other coverage, creating that "vibe" that's been talked about.

What it seems to me the RUWC did brilliantly is create a world cup experience which was divided between the "happy to be here, let's cheer on the plucky underdogs" and those teams with a serious chance of winning it. You then have two aspects to the tournament - people playing for the love of the game, and then the serious business after the group stages.

Add in the stories which come from the novelty of having emerging nations in, especially if they've overcome adversity of some kind to get to the finals, you've got the beginnings of a good "vibe". RL has tried something similar in the past with the Emerging Nations World Cup, but despite the risk of blow outs it really needs the small teams to be up against the big boys in the same tournament to get a real international flavour.

I don't think the format of the 2008WC will help us to be honest. I would have gone for 12 teams in 4 groups of three, with 8 qualifying for the knockout stages. I think two groups of five means that the "impossible dream" of the smaller nations will be killed more quickly - which won't help the vibe.

pcpp

Juniors
griff said:
That's the low scoring nature of soccer, where the best team doesn't always win. In terms of competitiveness, the point still stands.

Thats hardly relevant at all!

American Samoa lost 28-0 in soccer against Australia and they would lose 150-0 in league or union.

The top 40-50 teams in soccer can potentially beat each other. That is not the case in league or union. All teams in these nations are competitive because they know they have a chance of winning.

I don't think the format of the 2008WC will help us to be honest. I would have gone for 12 teams in 4 groups of three, with 8 qualifying for the knockout stages. I think two groups of five means that the "impossible dream" of the smaller nations will be killed more quickly - which won't help the vibe.

I think putting 3 or 4 uncompetitive nations in the "quarter finals" of the tournament is a bad idea - if nations lose 50-0 in a supposed finals match of a World Cup... it'll make it look even worse. In league, the impossible dream of half the nations are probably killed immediately.

screeny

Bench
pcpp said:
Thats hardly relevant at all!

American Samoa lost 28-0 in soccer against Australia and they would lose 150-0 in league or union.

The top 40-50 teams in soccer can potentially beat each other. That is not the case in league or union. All teams in these nations are competitive because they know they have a chance of winning.

I think putting 3 or 4 uncompetitive nations in the "quarter finals" of the tournament is a bad idea - if nations lose 50-0 in a supposed finals match of a World Cup... it'll make it look even worse. In league, the impossible dream of half the nations are probably killed immediately.

I think Griff means that football has 6 teams that can win the WC, while we have three and RU has 4-6 (I'd say max 5). He's right. And really, going on this year's WC football has only one team with a chance of winning the tournament! (Brazil).

pcpp

Juniors
screeny said:
I think Griff means that football has 6 teams that can win the WC, while we have three and RU has 4-6 (I'd say max 5). He's right. And really, going on this year's WC football has only one team with a chance of winning the tournament! (Brazil).

I know what he means.

Being able to win the world cup and being competitive is way way different.

The Soccer World Cup and the RU and RL world cups cannot be compared. While most are only expecting 6 nations or so to win the soccer cup, every single of those 32 nations participating can IMO win. Brazil won their Quarter and Semi Finals in 2002 by only one goal. South Korea reaching the Semi Finals in 2002 is another reason .

In RL and RU, it is simply not possible for any other nation to win other than the ones we already expect.

bobbis

Juniors
Soccers also a far easier game to notch competitive results in, look at a country like Liechtenstien a bit over 30000 people in the country and they can draw with a country like Portugal, defeat WC qualifier Saudi Arabia keep Australia to 3-1 a couple of weeks ago, run England fairly close. The nature of Soccer is that although maybe 7 of the teams can actually win the world cup almost anybody can win, draw or keep the score close against almost anybody else.

The reality is a RLWC has 1 massive favourite, 2 teams that could pull off a suprise victory and maybe 2 more that are competitive, unless of course you stack teams with NRL and ESL players. The RWC has 5 sides that have a reasonable chance of winning and maybe 6 that could cause an upset but with little chance of winning the entire thing.

I'd agree with the notion the RLWC would be better off with a spread of teams, the soccer world cup has teams in it who aren't in the top 32, the RWC had teams that weren't in the top 20, I see no reason the RLWC can't do the same. If all the teams are confined to the pacific, the British Isles and France it will have a negative effect on the public's perception of the tournament. The team ranked 13 in the world might get thrashed by 130 by Australia instead of 100 like the team ranked 10, but the perception that the game of RL is played around the world and not just the British Isles, France and the Pacific I would think is worth it.

screeny

Bench
pcpp said:
I know what he means.

Being able to win the world cup and being competitive is way way different.

The Soccer World Cup and the RU and RL world cups cannot be compared. While most are only expecting 6 nations or so to win the soccer cup, every single of those 32 nations participating can IMO win. Brazil won their Quarter and Semi Finals in 2002 by only one goal. South Korea reaching the Semi Finals in 2002 is another reason .

In RL and RU, it is simply not possible for any other nation to win other than the ones we already expect.

With all due respect, if you think any one of the 32 competing nations can win the FIFA World Cup then you're opinion isn't woth listening to. I don't mean to be insulting, but that's a ridiculous, laughable comment you made......

pcpp

Juniors
screeny said:
With all due respect, if you think any one of the 32 competing nations can win the FIFA World Cup then you're opinion isn't woth listening to. I don't mean to be insulting, but that's a ridiculous, laughable comment you made......

:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry, I have no reason to be insulted when you come up with crap like that.

Senegal beat France in the 2002 World Cup. South Korea, one of the lowest ranked nations made the semi finals.

The word "can" does not mean likely or probable. There are no team to make up the numbers. Almost every team can potentially win, or draw with any other team in the FIFA World Cup.

There is a billion times higher chance that you'll see a final between the two worst nations that are pariticpating in the soccer world cup than you'll see in the rugby union world cup.

Latest posts