What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Union want Hayne

Inglis heads ARU's wish list

By Bret Harris September 14, 2006

THE Australian Rugby Union is poised to make a fresh recruiting raid on the NRL.

Australia star Mat Rogers yesterday confirmed his return to rugby league after the Rugby World Cup in France next year and fellow New South Wales Waratahs back Lote Tuqiri also signalled he may follow suit.
The ARU reportedly has its eyes on outstanding Melbourne Storm try machine Greg Inglis, who has the size, speed and skill to be an ideal outside centre in Test rugby.
At the same time the ARU is set to make retaining Tuqiri a priority.
The ARU will save more than $500,000 a year on Rogers's contract, which it would be able to reinvest in another quality rugby league player.
Sydney Roosters utility Craig Wing and Parramatta winger Jarryd Hayne have also been mentioned as potential targets, but Inglis is believed to be the player the Wallabies want most.
The major sticking point in any approach to Inglis, 19, is the fact he is contracted to the Storm until the end of 2009.
Asked whether rugby was interested in Inglis, ARU high performance manager Pat Wilson said: "Greg Inglis is a young, elite athlete who is performing at the highest level.
"I think he's contracted for another two years. If we were approached, we might have some interest."
The ARU will do everything in its power to stop Tuqiri from going back to rugby league. Tuqiri played for Brisbane Broncos before switching codes in 2003.
"I'm not going to say 'no I won't (switch back)'," Tuqiri told Channel 9 last night.
"It'll always be in my blood, always a part of me, so yes, I probably would like to play (league) again."
Tuqiri, who turns 27 in nine days, will be a key player for the Wallabies in the Rugby World Cup in France and would potentially still be an integral member of the team in the 2011 tournament in New Zealand.
Unlike Rogers, Tuqiri is expected to talk to both the ARU and NRL next year before making a decision on his future.
The ARU's attitude towards Rogers is different, largely because of his age. Wilson said the ARU understood Rogers' reasons for going back to rugby league with expansion team Gold Coast Titans and wished him well.
It is understood one of the reasons Rogers decided to quit rugby union is because of his frustration of sitting on the bench for the Wallabies.
In his eight Tests this year Rogers has amassed just 3.5 games of playing time.
Rogers started at inside centre in the first three Tests of the year against England (two) and Ireland. However, he has played only about one hour of rugby in five appearances off the bench in a three-month period.
Former Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer, who coached Rogers at the Waratahs when he crossed over in 2002, believes he has been under-utilised.
"He could have got a bit more time," Dwyer said. "He's played quite well and he has been effective. He has won games when he has come on late. I often wonder about impact players. Why can't they make an impact early in the game? There is no doubt Rogers has the ability to be a starting player. I'd rearrange things to find a spot for him."
Rogers will get an opportunity to get more game time when he challenges Stephen Larkham for the starting five-eighth position on the Wallabies tour of Europe in November.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20407816-23217,00.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think Tiquiri would look good on the wing, with Hayne at fullback, both in the blue and gold of course

The Colonel

Immortal
Pays to develop your career in the NRL to be selected for the Wallabies particularly as a back. I'd guess a lot of young Union players will start to feel the same way in the coming future.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
I think the nrl has to look at something to stop them talking to our players!
Something like a Compensation to be paid to NRL youth development if union sign a NRL player.....although there will different classes, for example Class A will be like a Lote Tiquiri who has played NRL all his life and was say in the top 25 players in the NRL when he left....thus the pay out will be more!
And maybe a Class B for Rogers, who at the time was a great player although did play union in his junior carrer, thus the payout will be less!

I dont know if it will work but its an idea of putting money back into the grass levels if union wish to purchase our players!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Prodigal Eel said:
I think the nrl has to look at something to stop them talking to our players!
Something like a Compensation to be paid to NRL youth development if union sign a NRL player.....although there will different classes, for example Class A will be like a Lote Tiquiri who has played NRL all his life and was say in the top 25 players in the NRL when he left....thus the pay out will be more!
And maybe a Class B for Rogers, who at the time was a great player although did play union in his junior carrer, thus the payout will be less!

I dont know if it will work but its an idea of putting money back into the grass levels if union wish to purchase our players!

Rugby Union would never agree to that. We stole their players for years and gave them nothing.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
they dont have to agree to it!

It will be apart of the contract the player signs playing nrl!
If he was to ever change codes, the compensation will come into effect, and the union club will just have to pay if they want him!

Yes we did take there players, but if we were to do something like this....it will make a huge dent in union as in Australia alot of there media interests surround league players!
Take that away, and they will suffer IMO.

strider

Post Whore
Prodigal Eel said:
they dont have to agree to it!

It will be apart of the contract the player signs playing nrl!
If he was to ever change codes, the compensation will come into effect, and the union club will just have to pay if they want him!

Yes we did take there players, but if we were to do something like this....it will make a huge dent in union as in Australia alot of there media interests surround league players!
Take that away, and they will suffer IMO.
but they don't have contracts for life - the contract is X yrs - when X yrs is up there is no contract and they can go play netball if they like

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
but they don't have contracts for life - the contract is X yrs - when X yrs is up there is no contract and they can go play netball if they like

It should work the other way as well.

I reckon Vicki Wilson would have made a super front rower.

Suity

nöyd

Staff member
Suitman said:

Suity

She sure as hell would've been one of the ugliest.

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:

Suity

Which netball players do you think would make a good hooker?

Suitman

Post Whore
On the other hand, there are a few Rugby League players who I reckon would make great netballers.

Suity

nöyd

Staff member
Suitman said:
On the other hand, there are a few Rugby League players who I reckon would make great netballers.

Suity

284.jpg

Hang on, there's no spitting in netball is there? Oh that's right, they wear a bib, he'll fit right in...