What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby vs Rugby League

carlnz

Bench
I see their is a lot of topics on how that the Tri Nations Final was a major set back for "International Rugby League"....After the Final I was lucky enough to watch the Rugby test between NZ vs France...

Now winner of that match would be ranked first...so we basicly had 1 vs 2...NZ sent over a team missing a few top players left at home to be rested :roll: Yet the NZ team hammered them 44-6 or whatever....and during the match they had to result to golden oldies because the French had no more props to use!?!?!

Yet Rugby League takes all the hits for big scores.....and this weekend we have 1 vs 18th in an exbition match....

The only difference is Rugby has more stronger nations compared to League...but get the same results....

I think Australians record should be hailed as it is unbelieveable record they have......and thats hard to say being a Kiwi :lol:

Tighthead

Seems to me that rugby is the one taking the hits for big scores etc on this site. Don't know which board you have been reading.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Seems to me that rugby is the one taking the hits for big scores etc on this site. Don't know which board you have been reading.

Perhaps he's referring to the Union biased press?

Dogboy

Juniors
Isn't your heading meant to say "Rugby Union v Rugby League"?

Last I heard rugby league was one of two codes of rugby.

Tighthead

Perhaps he's referring to the Union biased press?

He might be, but firstly, I don't think that the press is "union biased" and secondly I haven't seen any articles claiming the Kangaroos victory was a major setback for international rugby league.

DIEHARD

----
Roger that Dogboy.

Seeing Union refered to as RUGBY makes me sick. Like we are some sort of inferior, mongrel cousin. Well that is what they want people to think.

This stuff stems from private schools and NZ (Understandably because Union is so dominate I guess). But In Australia, RL and RU thanks.

Anyway back on point. I agree. I am very proud of the Aussie record, it is amazing. And certainly a massive challenge to maintain. Union has its floggings. But the media turn a blind eye. Look at the comparisons about how the media treated the RLWC and its floggings with the RUWC floggings.

RLWC it was disgraceful!

In RUWC it was one big lollipop tea party feel good back slapping good show chaps that is what its all about giggle fest.

I hope the same principles apply when we have RLWC 2008.

Its good to see France coming good. And NZ will be back better next year.

Its not that bad. Could be worse. GB could have lost all its games.

DIEHARD

----
Tighthead said:
He might be, but firstly, I don't think that the press is "union biased" and secondly I haven't seen any articles claiming the Kangaroos victory was a major setback for international rugby league.

I haven't seen any either. I bought a few papers today and all the reports look good. It was if anything reported as something to be proud of. And the Kangaroos got better billing than the Wannabies in most papers.

I still have the papers from the day after the July 12th test and god they are bad. I'll scan them one day for you. ;-)

Tighthead

The trinations has been a good start in bringing respectability back to international rugby league, but more needs to be done.

Some of you guys bitch about media bias etc, but what you should be complaining about is rugby league administrators (particularly at the international level) not doing enough to promote the international game.

Say what you want about the relative merits of each code, but you have to admit the ARU and the IRB etc. have incredibly good PR people, who are good at hyping games and getting good stories written about the code.

A good example of rugby's marketing has been the wallaby jersey. Due to its availability and marketing, it is now so ubiquitous it has almost become 'default' Australian supporter wear. You see it everywhere - Howard wears it, Peter Beattie was wearing it this morning on 'Today' - I even saw it on Kath & Kim recently - a Victorian made show! Tradition is important, but in this day and age of televised professional sport and advertising revenue, marketing and pr are everything. Rather than get shitty at rugby union, get shitty at league's administrators for sitting on their hands.

carlnz

Bench
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/viewtopic.php?t=45750&sid=cbbc57d053facd90dec130b203b236be

Great Britain's Tri-Nations final loss to Australia is the worst possible result for league as an international attraction.

The Lions had shown so much promise, but started with poor discipline to concede penalties and territory, and the Kangaroos cut them to pieces to lead 38-0 at halftime.

Darren Lockyer underlined his status as world's best, dominating the game. The Australians played as if their lives depended on it, holding Great Britain's hooker Terry Newton up in goal late in the game when it mattered little whether he scored or not.

The Lions, by comparison, lacked a kicking game, lacked that intensity and lacked ideas in attack when they did get the ball in good field position.

When Sean Long took a lucky intercept from a fumble, he got to within 2m. In the next four plays the Australians pushed them back 20.

The New Zealand Rugby League will do well out of the series financially, not least because they have an agreement for a slightly higher percentage of the profits than the other two partners, who have the benefit of being propped up by the NRL and Super League.

But the Australian clubs, which had already been less than supportive of the series, will now be flat out white-anting any suggestion another be held next year: "No one will come and it will flop financially because the other teams won't be competitive," will be the refrain.

So the Lions did everyone a disservice when they collapsed in the first 40 minutes yesterday, not just the Elland Rd crowd that booed them from the pitch.

Great Britain's worst defeat was the 64-10 whitewash in Sydney in 2002. Yesterday's result was the biggest margin put on them at home since their 50-12 loss to the Kangaroos in 1963. So the argument about closing the gap on the world stage is back to square one.

The NZRL remains committed to at least one North-South game along State of Origin lines next year, with the intention it become a three-game series as the Origin is, played around the same time. NRL boss David Gallop has offered qualified support. It will come down to the clubs, who predictably won't want players released.

The NZRL will push to have the game played during the City-County-Origin representative window of six weeks when multiple teams get the bye. It will propose a Friday night North-South game, with key clubs like the Warriors, Bulldogs and Penrith that field several New Zealanders either given the bye, or scheduled to play on Sunday.

"The NRL would have to support it," concedes NZRL chief executive Peter Cordtz.

He doesn't expect the clubs to stand players down the week before, as they do for Origin, "but if they choose not to play in the North-South game then turn out for their clubs that weekend, we'd have a problem with that".

In April, the Roosters complained that Jason Cayless was just back from knee injury and shouldn't be picked by New Zealand to play the Anzac test. He was and did, then the Roosters played him in the NRL on the Sunday.

So there are two standards, and only if the NRL enforces club amenability will the NZRL find its way through all the smoke and mirrors.

The league will look to have the NRL package the game as part of its deal for representative football broadcasts including Australia's Channel Nine.

Discussion about the Tri-Nations' future will continue, but a meeting of club managements in Sydney early in December is sure to throw up lots of opposition.

taipan

Referee
The RLWC in 2008,will be a real test for the baggers of rugby league in the press.IMO they will have a field day and will really lay into the code,with the likes of Carlton,Fitzsimons,Zavos saying like a well used record what a joke blah blah blah,who cares.We all know there deal ,stick it up the code.
I hope this major rugby league event is marketed to the hilt,bring in the community such as the schools,educate the uneducated on the history and if need be the discrimination in the early years of the game,and the courage of those pioneers who played it despite the threats of losing their jobs by establishment employers.Ensure minimum 12 or preferably 16 teams in the comp,and maximise exposure throughout the country.If you get the crowds you make the money and you get media attention and public acceptance,and that is all that is needed to
silence the knockers.

DIEHARD

----
Kangaroos jerseys are SO hard to bloody find. This has to be resolved as well.

Where ever they have club jerseys Roo jerseys need to be there. At clubs and games.

They are just impossible to find. But by far the most beautiful jersey.

carlnz

Bench
DIEHARD said:

Where ever they have club jerseys Roo jerseys need to be there. At clubs and games.

They are just impossible to find. But by far the most beautiful jersey.

Not as beautiful as my Wales jumper I got today!!!

I have no doubts their will be large scores in the 2008 World CUp...I just Hope we can have
AUS
NZ
ENG
PNG
FRA
WAL

That can compete well

Paul Condon

Juniors
re CARL NZ

Union has little to say about Leagues differences in International standards as shown in this article from Fox Sports World. Union w***ers. :lol: :lol:

Top teams more competitive but stragglers fall further behind

Robert Millward / Associated Press

LONDON (AP) - The good news for rugby is that there appears to be little to choose between the world's powerhouse nations with any of top seven teams seemingly capable of beating each other.
The bad news is that the nations trying to catch up are instead falling further behind.
A glance at this month's series of international test matches showed that New Zealand and Australia came out on top overall.
The All Blacks illustrated their talent with a 45-6 beating of Six Nations champion France in Paris on Saturday and the Wallabies edged World Cup holder England 21-19 in a seesawing game at Twickenham.
Yet the English had beaten and outplayed Tri Nations champion South Africa 32-16 a week ago and the Springboks, conquerors of Australia and New Zealand in the Southern Hemisphere championship, had also lost 17-12 to Ireland.
New Zealand edged Wales 26-25 and the Welsh also lost 38-36 to the South Africans. The Irish needed an injury time drop goal by Ronan O'Gara on Saturday to beat an Argentina team which had beaten France 24-14 a week earlier.
Eddie Jones' Wallabies went to Twickenham after two easy victories over Scotland but a 27-14 loss to France in Paris.
Inspired by Matt Giteau, Australia romped into a 15-0 lead thanks to tries by hooker Jeremy Paul and Chris Latham before the English launched a strong second half fightback. Lewis Moody, Josh Lewsey and Mark Cueto scored tries to turn the game around at 19-15 but two penalties by Giteau gave the Wallabies their first victory at Twickenham since 1998.
"We stuck at it, showed great character and played exceptionally well to hang on in that second half," Jones said.
"On the back of a defeat against France there had been a bit of introspection in the squad but today we shifted the ball around and caused a lot of problems to their defense.
"We feel we have developed a good team on this tour," Jones said. "It has been a purposeful month for us. We've got stuck in after the French defeat and solved a lot of problems. Today we had the courage to keep playing the way we wanted to play."
Andy Robinson's England had a standout spell for 20 minutes of the second half but was given the runaround by Giteau before the break. Charlie Hodgson, who scored 27 points against the Springboks missed some easy kicks and they proved costly as England lost to the Wallabies for the second time since its World Cup triumph a year ago.
Two early Frederic Michalak penalties suggested that the France-New Zealand showdown might be a close game. They turned out to be the only French points as the All Blacks posted their biggest score on French soil in 96 games between the two teams with five tries and an almost perfect kicking performance from Daniel Carter who made eight of nine.
"We weren't a match for them for one minute," said French captain Fabien Pelous. "They are strong, they move quickly and when a team plays going backward then you get a demonstration of rugby. We clung on, did what we could, but I think we were surpassed."
It was a second loss in a row for the French after Argentina's victory in Marseille last week. The Pumas went to Dublin and led the Irish 19-9 before being succumbing to the accurate kicking of O'Gara.
The Irish flyhalf had kicked all his team's points in the victory over South Africa two weeks ago and did it again with five penalties and two drop goals against Argentina.
The South Africans recovered from losses to Ireland and England with a 45-10 beating of Scotland at Murrayfield. They even scored a try with only 13 men on the field and lock forwards Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha in the sinbin.
Conceding five tries to one against the Springboks and twice yielding 31 points to the Wallabies, the Scots showed few signs that they are making up ground on the powerhouse teams.
Yet they overwhelmed Japan 100-8 and it is a bad sign for the sport that teams who regularly qualify for the World Cup and are trying to make up ground on the leading contenders are losing by huge margins.
The Japanese also lost 98-0 to the Welsh on Friday while Canada has been beaten 70-0 by England and 51-6 by modest Italy. The United States lost 55-6 to the Irish and the Romanians went down 66-7 to Wales.
Eddie Butler, a former Welsh forward who now writes and commentates on the game for the papers and TV, sees a lopsided game and sees problems for the game's world governing body, the International Rugby Board.
"In among the New Zealanders and the Wallabies and the Springboks were the Japanese, Canadians and Romanians," he wrote on Sunday in the Observer.
"It was a rude shock to see how distant they now are from the global elite.
"Quite what can be done in those countries who have spent the last month under the posts watching conversions coming their way will no doubt be exercising the minds of the IRB," Butler wrote.
"Professionalism is creating a game at the top which is utterly beyond those who participate lower down."

SP

Bench
DIEHARD said:

Where ever they have club jerseys Roo jerseys need to be there

at Sportsco where i live, they always have the Aust kangaroos jerseys, both the V one and the ringed one

bayrep

Juniors
carlnz said:
I see their is a lot of topics on how that the Tri Nations Final was a major set back for "International Rugby League"....After the Final I was lucky enough to watch the Rugby test between NZ vs France...

Now winner of that match would be ranked first...so we basicly had 1 vs 2...NZ sent over a team missing a few top players left at home to be rested :roll: Yet the NZ team hammered them 44-6 or whatever....and during the match they had to result to golden oldies because the French had no more props to use!?!?!

Yet Rugby League takes all the hits for big scores.....and this weekend we have 1 vs 18th in an exbition match....

The only difference is Rugby has more stronger nations compared to League...but get the same results....

I think Australians record should be hailed as it is unbelieveable record they have......and thats hard to say being a Kiwi :lol:

This is pure hate building on hate Carlnz. I don't doubt your commitment to RL but mate feed of what makes RL great not prop it up with crap threads likes.

joshreading

Staff member
Actually I saw an report i think on Spors tonight saying that the Aussie team were now KEEN and excited to play the Tri Nations again next year in England - however they want the tour cut to 4 weeks which seems fair.

carlnz

Bench
BUt their will be no way NZ will play all their matchs in AUS and NZ without the Britain players

Latest posts