What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby World Cup - Most Overrated Event in World Sport?

ThirdEye

Juniors
What does that mean?
It means that a game can still be won on penalties alone. When was the last time a game of league was won on penalty kicks alone? I'm not making a value-judgement on the merits or otherwise of winning by penalties, but if the opposing side has prevented the scoring of tries through illegal play then it seems only fair that a team can win by kicking penalties. This is why the two-point penalty wouldn't work. One infringement can prevent a seven point try so it would simply encourage teams of lesser ability to cheat - 3 points is about right.

The scrum is union's biggest problem right now, I can't stand the plodding, amateurish nature of 'crouch, pause, touch, engage'. The breakdown could also do with a little more clarity - it is too easy to find infringements in every ruck and maul.

Cart before horse.
Chicken and egg would be the more accurate metaphor.

Parra

Referee
When was the last time a game of league was won on penalty kicks alone?

I've watched a tryless grand final and a tryless origin match. Both modern league matches and both were fantastic. You will see the relative values of penalties rise in big matches with better defence. This is basic stuff. Nothing to do with the rules and everything to do with the occasion and the skill of the teams involved. Better sides let in less tries, so again the relative value of the penalty and/or field goal.

Golden point in the NRL has meant we see many more RL matches decided by a field goal than union matches. But that fact doesn't suit your personal bias, does it?

ThirdEye

Juniors
I've watched a tryless grand final and a tryless origin match. Both modern league matches and both were fantastic. You will see the relative values of penalties rise in big matches with better defence. This is basic stuff. Nothing to do with the rules and everything to do with the occasion and the skill of the teams involved. Better sides let in less tries, so again the relative value of the penalty and/or field goal.

Golden point in the NRL has meant we see many more RL matches decided by a field goal than union matches. But that fact doesn't suit your personal bias, does it?
Too right. You dont suit my personal bias either...

redvscotty

First Grade
As much as it pains me to say it as a league fan...this Rugby World Cup has been absolutely brilliant.

This is a great point.

I have NEVER been a union fan until this year. Watched a few super 15 games (mainly Rebels ones to see how Saffy went) but this world cup is awesome.

Canada v Tonga yesterday was an absolute ripper. Really enjoying every minute of it.

I was ready to cancel Fox a week ago. No longer. I'll keep it on purely for the world cup.

Parra

Referee
USA v Russia is also a cracker. Half-time right now. Seeing two different styles go head-to-head.

redvscotty

First Grade
So far I've watched every game live. I really am surprised by how much I'm getting into it but whatever, let the good times roll.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Would of got some juicy odds at the TAB on no team posting 50points so far at the RWC. Probably be broken tomorrow when the ABs take on Japan

gutterfax

First Grade
It really is no more than a glorified 5 nations tournament.
I will choose my words more carefully this time as the last post I made her was deleted.........

Tommy Smith...as with soccer and cricket...the preliminary rounds rarely throw up a surprise and the last 8 teams are generally the ones expected to be there.
This RWC had the last 8 made up of the top 8 teams in the world, but along the way, there were some shocks, some close games and the 1,250,000 fans so far at games seem quite happy.

Of the 4 nations left, I suspect 3 were in your original "5 nations".........damn those coittage burning welsh for making you look stupid eh......

Moderator: I still say this is a fishing thread that shouldn't have survived, but hey, your forum.

Reece75

Juniors
yeah it's overrated alright
60000 welsh fans are going to pack in to millenium stadium to watch their team play on a big TV

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
i'm not reading through 111 posts of bullshit, but i'll say this.

overrated as f**k, but it's been fun.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The rules of Union still favour defense too much and discourage genuine attacking play or ball in hand rugby. Until more attacking play is rewarded as opposed to punished my interest in Union will continue to be fleeting at best.

As for the original question, yes it is overrated, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Just not as good as it's made out to be.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I will choose my words more carefully this time as the last post I made her was deleted.........

Tommy Smith...as with soccer and cricket...the preliminary rounds rarely throw up a surprise and the last 8 teams are generally the ones expected to be there.
This RWC had the last 8 made up of the top 8 teams in the world, but along the way, there were some shocks, some close games and the 1,250,000 fans so far at games seem quite happy.

Of the 4 nations left, I suspect 3 were in your original "5 nations".........damn those coittage burning welsh for making you look stupid eh......

Moderator: I still say this is a fishing thread that shouldn't have survived, but hey, your forum.
LOL what a lemon! And who did they beat to get to the Semis? Ireland.

If anyone made me look "stupid" it was the Irish for pasting Australia which caused such a lopsided draw that saw the top 3 sides in the world on the bottom half of the draw.

But the semis were indeed riveting!

2 tries
2 drop goals
9 penalty goals (and about 7 missed shots at goal)

Running rugby at its best!

shiznit

Coach
LOL what a lemon! And who did they beat to get to the Semis? Ireland.

If anyone made me look "stupid" it was the Irish for pasting Australia which caused such a lopsided draw that saw the top 3 sides in the world on the bottom half of the draw.

But the semis were indeed riveting!

2 tries
2 drop goals
9 penalty goals (and about 7 missed shots at goal)

Running rugby at its best!
thats semi final rugby.... high stakes football where one mistake can cost you 4 years of hard work.

you would have to be geniused to think semi final football was going to be anything other than grinding rugby.

but of course your one of those geniuss that seem to think that scoring 10 tries each is the only way to be entertained.

those semi's were awesome...

but ofcourse... its probably not as exciting as watching Andrew Strauss scratch his crotch and chase leather for 5 straight days. :roll:

Tommy Smith

Referee
thats semi final rugby.... high stakes football where one mistake can cost you 4 years of hard work.

you would have to be geniused to think semi final football was going to be anything other than grinding rugby.

but of course your one of those geniuss that seem to think that scoring 10 tries each is the only way to be entertained.

those semi's were awesome...

but ofcourse... its probably not as exciting as watching Andrew Strauss scratch his crotch and chase leather for 5 straight days. :roll:
If you're going to call someone a genius, don't show a lack of spelling ability just four words beforehand.

And yes, that Wales vs France game was awesome! Running rugby at it's best, especially by the French.

shiznit

Coach
If you're going to call someone a genius, don't show a lack of spelling ability just four words beforehand.

And yes, that Wales vs France game was awesome! Running rugby at it's best, especially by the French.
the genius picks up the fact that i dont use an apostrophe...

yet totally ignores the fact that he calls rugby a boring sport... and openly supports test cricket... :roll:

but go ahead... keep contradicting yourself. :lol:

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
I love both, always have always will but I will say this.

if you want pure entertainment and excitement factor then League has it.

if you want brains to triumph over muscle then Union is the game. In union its more about what you do and how you do it so its for those who are serious thinking.

League is all fun and games, all show and no go mainly.

That is how I define them in the easiest form, for the un-educated bunnies who watch 'boring' sport. ;-)

ceagle

Bench
Yawnion is a mess, the laws around the breakdown are too complicated, penalties are blown way to often and most teams these days exploit these rules and just take long range penalty goals, it is boring as f**k. Scrums are also annoying as f**k since they take 5 minutes to get right, and there are way too many stoppages.

It is fun when you play it in a local comp where none of these boring tactics and confusing rules exist.

Squatdog

Juniors
Their is a great culture and interest for rugby in Ireland, Wales and Scotland (and to a lesser extent Argentina, Samoa and Fiji) but these teams, especially away from home, have next to no chance of beating Australia and South Africa and absolutely no chance of beating New Zealand. And they make up the "best of the rest" in rugby.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!

254504-ireland_australia_rugby_world_cupPHOTOREUTERS-1316291047-704-640x480.jpg

tonga_players_celebrate_after_beating_france_at_we_4e86be3c82.JPG

766854-9040090-317-238.jpg