What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rule changes for 2010 ?

this.

The scrum is largely redundant these days. Just turn it over and play the ball.

For all the good scrums do, you might as well have a circle on halfway and make the forwards go stand in it while the backs take the tap/play the ball with the forwards out of the road for as long as it takes them to get back in position.

grapeape

Juniors
stop the clock when kicking for goals.
same as other sports. eg basketball stops the clock for free throws.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
stop the clock when kicking for goals.
same as other sports. eg basketball stops the clock for free throws.
RL games finish late enough as it is (especially when 7:35pm kickoffs are closer to 7:50pm), that would make it excruciatingly long.

Goddo

Bench
Timmah, and a ref is "sir".

Way too many forward passes this year. They need to police this more

EDIT: also, I don't like the way players stand around deliberately as blockers to protect kickers from tacklers. Don't know what sort of rule change can stop this, but I don't like seein second rowers 5m in front of a kicker getting in the way of possible tacklers.

Last edited:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
What ever players rush in and form a scrum, the same players must pack in the scrum when time is called on.

That is already basically the rule. If they unpack the clock goes back on.

I would love to see the players being able to play on. I think that the player can tap the ball anywhere behind their own 20m to restart the play and don't have to wait for team mates to get back onside.

Also, should be the rule for my proposed catch inside the 10m line, kicked from outside the 20m. If they want to play on they hold the ball up to show the ref the catch, the ref calls "caught" and then they can tap it and go. The defenders cannot be offside.

mickdo

Coach
1) Walking off the mark if tackled no longer a penalty, but the player told to go back and play the ball
2) Control of the ball required to ground it
3) Video refs required to watch every decision at full speed at least once before making a decision
4) Actually police forward passes from dummy half
5) Refs no longer use players names, but their number
6) Sin bin allowed to be used for high tackles and dangerous play, not just sending people off
7) Tacklers allowed to hold on longer in legs tackles

LeagueNut

First Grade
If I was boss, I'd bring these three in straight away...
-No six more tackles off a charge down.
Let markers stand side by side .... less dummy half running.
- Bring back quick taps
With quick taps - the ball would have to get into position "legally", forward passes are illegal everywhere else so why allow them here??

I'd also look at the rules around kicks going out on the full. If it's during the run of play then it's a turnover, but if it's from a restart then it's a penalty. Why the difference? Keep it consistent.

SCoops

Juniors
I would like to see
- the Refs to shut up and just Ref rather then talking the players through the game
- Dummy half forward passes to be stamped out
- Refs not to let players walk off the mark
- Bring back quick taps
- Do something about the floppy corner posts
- Get rid of the separation rule
- Touchies, what are they there for?
- Sort out a better grading system
- Sort out the 3rd refs

For me,

I would like to see a stop to the walking off the mark when playing the ball. Some I have seen take up to an additional 5 meters ffs.

Also agreed with bring back quick taps.

The old style SCRUMS should be brought back. Scrum contests are what is needed. Or else get rid of it all together. There is no need for them if not, just a waste of time.

Coops

typicalfan

Coach
considering every rule change that has happened over the last decade which fans, coaches and media personalities alike screamed for have been a complete and utter failure, which those same morons screamed to have changed once they saw what an unworkable mess they were in practice, I vote that all rule changes be banned.

Seriously, the game wasn't toyed with for 20 years until Super League and the NRL. Now it seems like there are rule changes every year and they all suck.

in the words of that britney spears fan, LEAVE THE NRL ALONE!!!
Yeah like they didn't change the tackle count from 4-6 and didn't change the value of a field goal from 2pts to 1pt and change the value of a try from 3pts to 4pts and didn't change the 5m rule to the 10m rule, and didn't take striking for the ball in the play the ball out, and they didn't introduce the sin bin in the 80s.Nope Rugby League is never toyed with.

If you want to watch a sport that never changes or evolves RU is your game. What sets League and Union apart is League will continue to change and evolve. Not all rule changes are good but some are very good.

Last edited:

LazyDreamer

Bench
One thing to consider when you're coming up with rule changes is how it will look on the telly - that's been the basis for them for 20+ years.

Hence, they'll never go back to contested scrums. Too slow, too many penalties (hence why they brought in the differential penalty all those years ago - too many slow shots at goal for second-row feeds & feet across teh scrum). I like the scrum in that it pulls a dozen players in close and opens the field for a play.

Who ever said 'no tackle-count restart from chargedowns', spot on. Currently, the majority of chargedowns are regathered by the kicking team & they are thus rewarded for a poorly timed kick. Piss it off.

Not that it seems to happen much anymore, but I'd like to see the reintro of a tackled player getting up & being unmarked being allowed to tap & run himself, but then again I think it was scrapped to reduce penalties.

I'd mainly like to see a consistant judiciary system. Fair dinkum, 2009 was a joke for the MRC & judiciary. Consistancy across the board no matter what the game & no matter who the player.

Oh, and for whoever said, 'piss off the video ref' - find his car & key it. He'll be ultra pissed off.

*Paul*

Juniors
Nope Rugby League is never toyed with.

You make a good point. I can remember the days when on the 5th tackle, instead of a high pressure situation to get a good result from a kick or risk a passing move, the ball carrier would often just aimlessly cart it up, take the tackle, and get the loose and feed.

Kicking it dead from the kickoff was a 25 tap, the fullback would just stand there and do nothing if he could.

There was a short lived rule which was something like kicking it out before the 4th tackle in your own half got you the scrum feed (or something like that), so players would just boringly work to the sideline and boot it out sideways.

And of course the 1985 grand final and the endless kicks into the ingoal.

Gaba

First Grade
When going for the field goal,

The missed attempt shouldnt be rewarded with a line drop out , if the ball is touched from a charged down attempt.

If the ball can be gtven as a goal dispite it being touch , the missed goal should favour the defending team with a 20 metre restart

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
1. Dont allow coaches to have ANY SAY WHATSOEVER in future rule changes.

2. Get rid of dominant & surrender tackles, a tackle is tackle. And stop yelling "MOVEMENT" if a player lies in the tackle to long, penalise him.

3. Any ball kicked within the oppositions 30 & caught on the full within the 20 by the opposition is a tap restart on the halfway. This would put a stop to the incessant chip to the winger tactics that are now the main 5th tackle option of so many teams.

4. Not really a rule change, but disband the U20s comp & make it a proper reserve grade competion. U20's is having a massive negative effect on the long term future of the code.

lockyno1

Post Whore
1. Video Refs ONLY to be used for put downs only

2. TWO captains challenges per half for incorrect calls. If you are WRONG though, penalty against your side.

3. "Super Try" being enforced. A try through the set of hands from your own 20 to the tryline should be a 8 point try, i.e 6 points for the try, plus 2 for the conversion. Encourages RUNNING the ball inside your own half.

4. TWO dummy half runs in a set is a changeover.

5. Press conferences to be held the MORNING AFTER the match rather than straight after- this would eliminate coaches emotion from losses.

6. Power Play period. 5 minutes in each game, all points are doubled for your team.
(Note: I want this trialled first though)

LeagueNut

First Grade
1. Video Refs ONLY to be used for put downs only

2. TWO captains challenges per half for incorrect calls. If you are WRONG though, penalty against your side.

3. "Super Try" being enforced. A try through the set of hands from your own 20 to the tryline should be a 8 point try, i.e 6 points for the try, plus 2 for the conversion. Encourages RUNNING the ball inside your own half.

4. TWO dummy half runs in a set is a changeover.

5. Press conferences to be held the MORNING AFTER the match rather than straight after- this would eliminate coaches emotion from losses.

6. Power Play period. 5 minutes in each game, all points are doubled for your team.
(Note: I want this trialled first though)
#1 I can agree with. The rest are bollocks, especially #6.

nomarg

I would like to see
- the Refs to shut up and just Ref rather then talking the players through the game
- Dummy half forward passes to be stamped out
- Refs not to let players walk off the mark
- Bring back quick taps
- Do something about the floppy corner posts
- Get rid of the separation rule
- Touchies, what are they there for?
- Sort out a better grading system
- Sort out the 3rd refs

:thumb

Exactly- the 40/20 would come into the game more- wingers wouldn't be able to tell if the player was just over the 40m line when he kicked it....

Latest posts