What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rules - which ones tick you off

m0j0

Bench
As with a few others here, I don't like the double movement rule. To rule out the inconsistencies, the ref should have to call held on every tackle, and until that call has been made, the player with the ball can still wriggle, roll, crawl or promote as he chooses.

Another one I don't like is the grounding of the ball in the in-goal by the defensive team. I think it should be like the good ol' days whereby if you can't take proper possession of the ball then it's play on.

I hate the ball stripping rule too. It should be allowed. It always was allowed and there was hardly any strips. Langer and Lamb and some of the smaller blokes were good at it. If you can't hold a ball properly you deserve to lose it.

The scrums are a joke too. It is not a battle for possession any more. It is a game of you have 6 tackles and see what ya can do and we'll have 6 and see what we can do. Most of the time it is anyway.

Cupid Stunt

I agree with the "Out" call in scrums. If 14 professionals cant come up with a way to let each other know the ball is cleared then something is really wrong.

Although not exactly a rule, the way players of the ball-holders team are more & more packing down behind him to help push them over the tryline, hold them off the side line etc. You once saw it only on occasion but now you can see a 3 on 4 "maul" on the halfway line nearly every weekend.

Mr Saab

Referee
when a winger or fullback catches the ball and they go to ground DELIBERATELY...the oppositon cant hardly touch them. If they do they more often than not are penalised. Pathetic rule. If a player is going to catch the ball and "dive" the defense should be allowed to throw them into touch if they are close to the sideline.

Holding down in the tackle...most of the time if it is a three man tackle then the player on the bottom cannot get off the tackled player immediately. It particularly angers me when refs rule it in the first 10 mins of a game !!.

Nugby

Juniors
On retrospect, I have to agree with JoeD. I hate Ref's call. If the Video Ref can't decide, let there be an actual "advantage to the attacking side" and award it or give advantage to the defense. But a consistent ruling from the Video Ref instead of the Ref who couldn't tell and bloody handed it upstairs in the beginning would be a boon to Rugby League.

Frailty

First Grade
Southern Rooster, you actually weren't allowed to strip it before. It only came in when one on one came in. Learn the rules goose.

Pantherjim.

Referee
The fact that the video ref can't rule on forward passes, yet they can rule on a knock-on that was comitted 4 plays before the actual try! :x

Pantherjim.

Matt M

Juniors
weasel said:
Hands down the stupidest rule is when tries are disallowed for an offside player whose not even involved in the play but is within ten metres of it.

But the problem is that a player might stand in the way of an opposition player, and while he doesn't actually impede the player, in a way he does because the opposition player will not think about running that way in fear of being tackled. Just because you don't touch anyone doesn't mean you don't affect the play.

Striker said:
The 40:20 rule i think it punishes the defense for keeping a side in their own half. If team A kicks the ball out, team B feeds the scrum.

But then you get the problem with wingers just letting the ball go out too often, it just adds more stoppages to a game without it. I also like how it rewards a teams kicking ability, and it adds excitement too. :D

Frailty said:
Just a question... when do you think the ball is out of the scrum?

I think it is when the halfback or lock touches the ball, or when it is actually cleared of the scrum.

JoeD said:
By far the stupidest rule is 'Ref's call'. Instead they should decide once and for all who is going to get the benefit of the doubt, my preference is for the defending team, but really as long as it is applied consistantly I don't care. Lets just say it is the same as now and benefit goes to the attacking team. So in a close try situation, the ref doesn't see it, goes upstairs to the video ref, he still can't figure it out, obviously then in this situation there is sufficient doubt and the try is awarded. Every time. Much simpler.

I agree. I would prefer benefit of the doubt going to the defending team. if the referee couldn't see it then why should they send it back to him?

warren said:
i hate the charge down . its a KNOCK ON!

But if we didn't have them then the kickers would get far too much time to kick the ball, and it would get very boring. Sure a defender could try and tackle the player but then that just puts another grey area on the game - were they going for the ball or the man?

jono078 said:
Video Ref should be able to rule forward passes, or the ones that blatently look forward.

The problem with video refs ruling on forwards passes is that often there is a horrible angle and it is too hard to tell, also how would you define blatant?

NPK said:
Dropkicks are knock-ons too.

I think dropkicks should be considered a knock on unless a player is obviously having a shot at goal. However this is an extremely hard rule to apply as it can become hard to see if a player intentionally dropped the ball or not.

Pantherjim. said:
The fact that the video ref can't rule on forward passes, yet they can rule on a knock-on that was comitted 4 plays before the actual try! :x

Pantherjim.

Well they can't, it has to be in the same play as when the try was scored (I think, I know this was the rule)

However I agree that the video ref should only be brought in for grounding of the football (whether he knocked it on or not, or whether he was taken out of the field of play before he grounded it).

As for double movement. I think the rule we have now is perfect, however the video ref should only be allowed to view it in normal speed, slow motion does nothing to prove it either way.

NPK

Bench
Pantherjim. said:

Pantherjim.
I don't think that's the case. They can go back to look at foul play in the same set of 6, but not for knock-ons I think.

Latest posts