What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and even More Crap VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
So maybe there signing Hyncliffe as a hooker?? Isnt MK meant to be useless??
Mk would make a decent lock forward IMO.
Couldnt Hyncliffe play 55- 60mins-Mk 20-25Mins at hooker and 20 mins in the backrow?
Id assume this would be hte planning if they sign Hyncliffe.
So where does that leave Seage or Kelly?

:crazy:

Why can't we just get a lock to play lock?!?!

If Hunchcleft is replacing MK, then REPLACE HIM.

I also imagine it leaves Seage and Kelly as backup halves. Signing a hooker (or moving a hooker to lock :roll: ) would surely not impact our backup halves situation in the slightest?

As a hooker i think he would improve on MK's spot about 30%
As a second rower he would not match Reni or Ben smith in size power strength.
Looks how easily Paulo gets pushed around-We dont need anymore small hard working forwards.Rory brien can fill that role

Why do we need Rory Brien? The kid has guts and passion, but he's a midget. He's not going to make it as a first grader simply because he's far too small. He needs to adapt his game to make himself a hooker (a la Alan Tongue) or face a career as a handy reserve grader who is simply too small.

Parra Pride

Referee
MK has been great-i was beeing sarcastic-Hynchclife however is a better hooker than MK.

No he isn't.

Why do we need Rory Brien? The kid has guts and passion, but he's a midget. He's not going to make it as a first grader simply because he's far too small. He needs to adapt his game to make himself a hooker (a la Alan Tongue) or face a career as a handy reserve grader who is simply too small.

Tongue was a terrible hooker, but he did the job at lock. You have absolutely no idea how well Rory Brien will go until he actually gets a game of first grade where he doesn't get chucked out on the wing.

#Don'tJudgeUntilYou'veSeenHim

SDM

First Grade
Darth Vader and Tin Tin.

Ok - I can see why we're giving Darth a run - his fend would be outstanding, but I imagine he'd get in a bit of trouble for choking?

Tin Tin I just don't understand. What's the point in signing a small bloke who is too old and who has a stupid dog that he brings to training??? Sack Kearney.

I agree, time for Burt to retire.

Darth would suit SK's Black Parramatta Policy, which was explained to me by a drunken ranga at Wenty Leagues.

oldmancraigy

Coach
No he isn't.

Tongue was a terrible hooker, but he did the job at lock. You have absolutely no idea how well Rory Brien will go until he actually gets a game of first grade where he doesn't get chucked out on the wing.

#Don'tJudgeUntilYou'veSeenHim

He's played footy in lower grades. Judging by what I've seen there, I don't think he'll be successful as a first grader (yes, based a lot on his size, but also lack of another exceptional quality). If he was 10cm taller and 10kgs heavier, I think he'd do well

He's played footy in lower grades. Judging by what I've seen there, I don't think he'll be successful as a first grader (yes, based a lot on his size, but also lack of another exceptional quality). If he was 10cm taller and 10kgs heavier, I think he'd do well

I think you can get away with one bloke of Brien's size in the pack, but you'd probably want a hooker who can double as a running backrower...

Parra Pride

Referee

If players made the grade purely on their achievements in the lower grades Karl Filiga would have been a superstar.

#YouHaveNoIdeaHowHeWillHandleFirstGrade

caylo

Bench

the kid is 6'0"? 10 cm would but him at 6'4" but im sure he can compete at his current hight.

He is mobile and good lines, i think would be your lock (central backrower) but I know where you are coming from, he has the same body mould as Buhrer and that the sort of player I think he will be. I think he will spend the most part of his NRL career as a bench backrower who provides some versatility and someone who will do a job rather then be a superstar (and there is nothing wrong with that).

Someone who plays at 90-95 kg at 19yrs of age would get to around 100-105 by the time they are 25 so he will probably have the size to play in the NRL as a backrower but don't expect so much from these kids at such a young age.

oldmancraigy

Coach
If players made the grade purely on their achievements in the lower grades Karl Filiga would have been a superstar.

#YouHaveNoIdeaHowHeWillHandleFirstGrade

While that's true, it doesn't really work the other way (ie, if someone looks like they won't make it, it doesn't make it more likely that they will)

#Imsurethisistrue

oldmancraigy

Coach
the kid is 6'0"? 10 cm would but him at 6'4" but im sure he can compete at his current hight.

He is mobile and good lines, i think would be your lock (central backrower) but I know where you are coming from, he has the same body mould as Buhrer and that the sort of player I think he will be. I think he will spend the most part of his NRL career as a bench backrower who provides some versatility and someone who will do a job rather then be a superstar (and there is nothing wrong with that).

Someone who plays at 90-95 kg at 19yrs of age would get to around 100-105 by the time they are 25 so he will probably have the size to play in the NRL as a backrower but don't expect so much from these kids at such a young age.

I see too much Luke O'Dwyer in him!

Whatever - I don't mind if he makes it, it sidelines the point. I was saying Hinchcliffe is too small for a backrower (he's 3kgs lighter than the 92kg midget who is Brien).

Parra Pride

Referee
While that's true, it doesn't really work the other way (ie, if someone looks like they won't make it, it doesn't make it more likely that they will)

#Imsurethisistrue

There was a time when not a single club wanted a piece of Johnathon Thurston even on a bargain basement second tier deal.

#LookHowThatTurnedOut

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
O'brien at 6 ft and heading towards 100kg is a good size. You need players of that size in every team as you just can't have a team of beasts ( 6 ft plus 105 to 110 plus kg) as puts it your pack out of balance . Big blocks are liability in defence if you have to many. Look at the some of the better packs from years gone by:

Warriors - big pack but also seen as not very good defensively plus they s smaller lock on luck
Dragons 2010 side - had Scott and young both on the smaller size
Storm 2006 to now - have never been a huge pack plus had dallas and Todd as locks who are smaller type forwards
Manly 2011 - Stewart and watmough are not huge

oldmancraigy

Coach
There was a time when not a single club wanted a piece of Johnathon Thurston even on a bargain basement second tier deal.

#LookHowThatTurnedOut

Thurston moved through the lower grades rapidly because he stood out in the lower grades. It was watching him play in the lower grades that people saw (in lower grades) that he could handle the big time. So, he was promoted (from the lower grades) to make his first grade debut at the age of 19.

Sure, people thought he was a small schoolboy, but once he got the chance he shone in the lower grades so much that they just had to give him a shot.

#ThatCaseSupportsMyArgument

oldmancraigy

Coach
O'brien at 6 ft and heading towards 100kg is a good size. You need players of that size in every team as you just can't have a team of beasts ( 6 ft plus 105 to 110 plus kg) as puts it your pack out of balance . Big blocks are liability in defence if you have to many. Look at the some of the better packs from years gone by:

Warriors - big pack but also seen as not very good defensively plus they s smaller lock on luck
Dragons 2010 side - had Scott and young both on the smaller size
Storm 2006 to now - have never been a huge pack plus had dallas and Todd as locks who are smaller type forwards
Manly 2011 - Stewart and watmough are not huge

Let's be fair, Brien is a shade over 90kgs (with a small body frame).

Dean Young 103kgs and Beau Scott 100kgs are certainly on the smaller side, but both are much larger.

Lowrie 98kgs (Storm's smallest)

Stewart 97kgs and Watmough 95kgs might be the glimmer of hope that Brien needs. But he still needs to bulk up to be as big as those guys (both of whom have other exceptional talents: Stewart with his ballplaying, Watmough's footwork and pace).
However they both were absolute standouts in lower grades, Wats making his FG debut at 18 and Stewart at 19.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Brien makes it. But he turns 21 soon, and is behind Lasalo (amongst other ordinary backrowers) in the pecking order. It just doesn't look like he'll make it (to me).
You're more than welcome to support him; have his poster up in your room; send him fan mail --> but don't use fallacious arguments!

I'm saying it doesn't look like he'll make it because (a) he's too small and (b) he doesn't seem to have any outstanding abilities that will help him overcome his stature. He absolutely busts his hump, and if he was 10kgs heavier would most likely be a wonderful first grader. But unfortunately he's not.
Maybe he'll make it still? But you can't quote the case of guys up to 10kgs heavier as proof of that....

caylo

Bench
I see too much Luke O'Dwyer in him!

Whatever - I don't mind if he makes it, it sidelines the point. I was saying Hinchcliffe is too small for a backrower (he's 3kgs lighter than the 92kg midget who is Brien).

I agree that Hinchy and Brein couldn't be in the same team together with MK. I think Hinchy would be a good signing if he came cheap but he wont so it would be a waste to spend 200K on him, i'd prefer Brien and MK together (in time) and get Brien to learn to fill in at hooker if required (MK be the 80min hooker) and then have a backup hooker (some jnr or someone that came cheap.

To me I think the interchange hooker role is next to dead and the new #14 should be someone to can fill in at hooker or halves as well as being a backrower or backline player at the very least.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I agree that Hinchy and Brein couldn't be in the same team together with MK. I think Hinchy would be a good signing if he came cheap but he wont so it would be a waste to spend 200K on him, i'd prefer Brien and MK together (in time) and get Brien to learn to fill in at hooker if required (MK be the 80min hooker) and then have a backup hooker (some jnr or someone that came cheap.

To me I think the interchange hooker role is next to dead and the new #14 should be someone to can fill in at hooker or halves as well as being a backrower or backline player at the very least.

Yeah it tends towards an 80 minute hooker these days with a "utility" player off the bench.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Let's be fair, Brien is a shade over 90kgs (with a small body frame).

Dean Young 103kgs and Beau Scott 100kgs are certainly on the smaller side, but both are much larger.

Lowrie 98kgs (Storm's smallest)

Stewart 97kgs and Watmough 95kgs might be the glimmer of hope that Brien needs. But he still needs to bulk up to be as big as those guys (both of whom have other exceptional talents: Stewart with his ballplaying, Watmough's footwork and pace).
However they both were absolute standouts in lower grades, Wats making his FG debut at 18 and Stewart at 19.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Brien makes it. But he turns 21 soon, and is behind Lasalo (amongst other ordinary backrowers) in the pecking order. It just doesn't look like he'll make it (to me).
You're more than welcome to support him; have his poster up in your room; send him fan mail --> but don't use fallacious arguments!

I'm saying it doesn't look like he'll make it because (a) he's too small and (b) he doesn't seem to have any outstanding abilities that will help him overcome his stature. He absolutely busts his hump, and if he was 10kgs heavier would most likely be a wonderful first grader. But unfortunately he's not.
Maybe he'll make it still? But you can't quote the case of guys up to 10kgs heavier as proof of that....
My point was around the size on players and that there is plenty of opportunities for smaller forwards to make an impact in our game.

I have no opinion on whether o'brien will make it or not and definitely don't have a poster of him or send him fan mail. Just making the point lack of size is not going to stop obrien make it if he is good enough or wants it bad enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts