What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Even More Crap XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We didn't neccessarily have that much space.
We could've offered him $5k per game in match payments which would have counted as $0 against our cap (because he didn't play last year). That's $120k - it would have to be on top of a salary of some kind. Let's assume minimum ($80k) - and he makes $200k in his first year with us (rumours that we offered more for the following years).

It would make more sense that we only had a minimum contract to offer, since we can't play Ken Edwards due to salary cap restraints. Fail to see how we could be under such stress if we'd have $250k free in the cap?

Would also make sense as to the Schu's reluctance. He knew we were getting a good deal, and was dilly dallying because he wasn't sure...

Edwards is a second tier cap issue. Folau would have come under the main cap, in which we made space by getting rid of Horo and Tonga.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Luke burt and Nathan Hindmarsh were not the answer to anything.

If anything mediocre players like cayless and burt took up places and salary cap for far too long requiring us to have a lot too many ordinary players on our books.

Our cap and roster have been badly managed for a very long time.

We're certainly a club that has kept players a year (or more) too long. I think the lack of premierships has caused it. Cayless and Burt should have retired at the end of '09. Hindy, Fui and Ben Smith in about 2011.

I'm glad we didn't give Kevin Kingston a multi-year contract. Even Gareth Hock is a concern, but he is still extremely physical.

Utey

Coach
Yep, Fui has lost is impact. Really looks to be a passenger now. But I put that down to the fact that he needs to be taking that hitup after a hitup has dented the line with a quick PTB and defence is on the backfoot.

Avenger

Immortal
The thing that I am looking forward to most in 2014 is William Hopoate. He is a special talent and up there with the best in the game.

spiderdan

Bench
same. i think when you get players like hayne and hopoate playing alongside each other you get some special things happening. assuming the speculation about sandow being pushed out isn't true i think it will help his game too. ditto with norman.

emjaycee

Coach
Wasn't sure where to post this as there are a couple of other relevant threads however given what I am about to post is probably full of crap, it may as well go here as anywhere else :lol:

I agree with some posters that if a player is fit he should not be rested, especially for a lengthy period and I also agree that this more so if he is the captain and the team is struggling HOWEVER, I can also agree that resting Jarryd for the remainder of the year is a good thing if it means he comes back fitter and fresher for 2014.

On another note, I also agree that sending Sandow back to Wenty is a good thing and doesn't necessarily mean he is on the outer with RS. Sandow obviously has some off-field issues that he needs to get under control and whether they are causing his form slump or whether his form slump is exacerbating them is neither here nor there for us punters. What is the issue for us is that our #1 choice half back is not in the form we need him to be in. Is that because he needs a better pack of forwards to play behind or is that because he is simply shite - don't know and don't care. The guy wears one of the most watched and criticised jerseys in Australian Rugby League and with that comes pressure. Is he ready for that pressure, maybe with a better performing pack of forwards he is (see rounds 1-3 this year)? If he is with us next year and our forwards perform then we will find out I am sure.

In 2014 we have joining us at least 6 new players (maybe more to come) that will change the nucleus of our side and how we play. We will for the first time in more years than I can remember have a spine comprising totally of players that have either played reps or been earmarked for reps. All of them at an age and a stage in their career where they possibly have their best footy in front of them (maybe not Hayne given his performance in 2009). 2 of these players (Hayne and Sandow) need to be ready to lead this new direction. If that means taking them out of the losing culture and the train-wreck that is 2013, then so be it. Stuart knows he will live and die on 2014 performances... this is his risk to take.

Maybe I am posting crap I know nothing about, however I do know that we need a fit and healthy Hayne to hit the blocks in Round 1 2014 and we need a mentally ready Sandow to join him, Norman and Peats - that's if we want to be competitive in 2014.

Over to you Casper :D

strider

Post Whore
yeah our backs have definitely got some potential x factor ..... but will they get the opportunities they need via our forwards setting a strong platform??? I have some doubts

strider

Post Whore
re: Hayne .... he had the back end of last year off to come back "fitter and fresher" - he has then been injured again half of this year .... IF there is a definite chance he will do more damage then don't play him - simple as shit

but all this rubbish talk about, maybe he needs to play in the world cup, so yeah he is ok after all shits me to tears .... he won't be fresher if he plays in the world cup

either he needs to not play at all including the world cup OR he is up to playing for parramatta ...... every player has the right to play rep footy, no problem with that, but if he is ok to play in the world cup then he is ok to play for parramatta .... resting him now is no guarantee he'll be ok next year as history has shown

strider

Post Whore
and one other thing ....

this year has set us back MASSIVELY in the mental department ..... the consequences of that won't just piss off overnight (or over an off season even)

we need something vaguely positive to finish this year off to try and help bounce back a little

Snoochies

First Grade
What I think we'll hear next year is that the team still needs more time to gel. We're getting close to where we need to be.

IFR33K

Coach
and one other thing ....

this year has set us back MASSIVELY in the mental department ..... the consequences of that won't just piss off overnight (or over an off season even)

we need something vaguely positive to finish this year off to try and help bounce back a little

With the mental side of things, maybe that's the reason RS is resting hayne, and playing sandow in reserves.

So they aren't mentally scarred come 2014????

Joely01

Bench
We play knights last round, this is there old boy day or whatever it is. Can't see a positive finish to this season.

The Colonel

Immortal
re: Hayne .... he had the back end of last year off to come back "fitter and fresher" - he has then been injured again half of this year .... IF there is a definite chance he will do more damage then don't play him - simple as shit

but all this rubbish talk about, maybe he needs to play in the world cup, so yeah he is ok after all shits me to tears .... he won't be fresher if he plays in the world cup

either he needs to not play at all including the world cup OR he is up to playing for parramatta ...... every player has the right to play rep footy, no problem with that, but if he is ok to play in the world cup then he is ok to play for parramatta .... resting him now is no guarantee he'll be ok next year as history has shown

Testify!!

oldmancraigy

Coach
Edwards is a second tier cap issue. Folau would have come under the main cap, in which we made space by getting rid of Horo and Tonga.

And allegedly Horo was on $220k.

And actually, now that I think of it, there's the issue of the money we paid Papali as a "signing bonus" (which he won't give back!) - which would be counted against this years cap I suppose. Probably also the pommies "transfer fee" might count against this year also.

So maybe we could have been half a million under or so?

oldmancraigy

Coach
We play knights last round, this is there old boy day or whatever it is. Can't see a positive finish to this season.

I think they've only ever lost once on "old boys day"? And that was the year they got the spoon.

Could be wrong - but I remember hearing about it that year.

Eels Dude

Coach
Maybe our club should have an Old Boys day or something similar to get some passion back in the place so that players actually give a shit.

Chipmunk

Coach
Maybe our club should have an Old Boys day or something similar to get some passion back in the place so that players actually give a shit.

Is a day remembering our most successful era (Back to the 80s day) not good enough for you?

Eels Dude

Coach
Is a day remembering our most successful era (Back to the 80s day) not good enough for you?

When is it? If there is one it's certainly not promoted enough.

And if it's not good enough to fire up our current players then no, it's not good enough for me.

Chipmunk

Coach
When is it? If there is one it's certainly not promoted enough.

And if it's not good enough to fire up our current players then no, it's not good enough for me.

This Saturday. I will give you that it isnt very well promoted though, Im thinking our home match against Manly each year should be called back to the 80s day...at least we might have a chance of firing up for a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts