What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Other Assorted Crap VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderdan

Bench
Why would they hire ando than sack Kearney 2 weeks later? They hired him to help out abnd i think everyone is hoping we come good.
Im sure SK will be there till about rnd 8 next year where if we are 1/2 from 8 than he will get the flick
concur.

not that long ago sk refused letting the board hire someone to help him, then not long after he chooses canderson to help.

to me it seems that after the initial turn down that the board gave sk an ultimatum that he has until the end of season to get us improved and he could choose who he wants to help him, but that's just what it seems given reports and events.

if we haven't started to look like a decent team by october my hunch is that sk will either be flicked or told he has 6-8 weeks to make it work in 2013 (but my hunch leans to option 1). guess we'll see where things go.

Sandow?????? Hoppa???????

Sandow......fair gripe...he had about 0.5 good seasons and we were after him like he was made of gold.

Hoppa? Elder Hopoate hasn't a) played a game for us yet or b) cost us a cent yet. I really don't see that we'll know how smart that move was until 2014ish.

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
One common denominator in the cuurent predica,ment is that we have not appointed a football CEO. For all the issues we had with Ossie, he went after targets and got them signed, spoke on radio and was always positive about the club.

What have we got now, a pseudo footy CEO, no presence in the media, no contacts at player manager level and no signings. So, did Sterlo blurting out the "Tonga signing" do the club any good, not really and we haven't replaced that position.

In my employment, the company tried to play it clever by not replacing an important position for 8 months after someone went. It has cost us big time, and I can see the club in a similar situation by thinking Bentley could do 2 jobs.

Eels Dude

Coach
Sandow......fair gripe...he had about 0.5 good seasons and we were after him like he was made of gold.

Hoppa? Elder Hopoate hasn't a) played a game for us yet or b) cost us a cent yet. I really don't see that we'll know how smart that move was until 2014ish.

I wouldn't rule it out... It's quite possible we're allocating salary cap space to him over 2012-2013 as part of the lure to bring him to the club. He's been promoted wearing Eels gear so I get the impression we're paying him something right now, even if it's just for his training regime to keep him fit that would surely count under the salary cap and would have to be declared. But it could well be he's on an actual salary at the moment.

One common denominator in the cuurent predica,ment is that we have not appointed a football CEO. For all the issues we had with Ossie, he went after targets and got them signed, spoke on radio and was always positive about the club.

What have we got now, a pseudo footy CEO, no presence in the media, no contacts at player manager level and no signings. So, did Sterlo blurting out the "Tonga signing" do the club any good, not really and we haven't replaced that position.

In my employment, the company tried to play it clever by not replacing an important position for 8 months after someone went. It has cost us big time, and I can see the club in a similar situation by thinking Bentley could do 2 jobs.

Mate, I'll agree that it was (usually) good that PO would get on the radio etc. Going after targets and getting them signed (e.g. Tahu or Morts in terms of re-signings) without adequate thought is one of the reasons that we find ourselves in our present predicament. I agree that we need to be looking for a football club CEO (an Bentley doesn't appear comfortable in the role). But we should be careful to avoid appointing another self-promoting loose cannon. If waiting means we get the right guy, I can live with that. I understand that waiting doesn't guarantee that we'll get the right guy, or that we won't have a board change and then rip everything up and have to start again. Money on the fridge (it's Kingswood Country night).

I wouldn't rule it out... It's quite possible we're allocating salary cap space to him over 2012-2013 as part of the lure to bring him to the club. He's been promoted wearing Eels gear so I get the impression we're paying him something right now, even if it's just for his training regime to keep him fit that would surely count under the salary cap and would have to be declared. But it could well be he's on an actual salary at the moment.

While we could well pay him some $$$ at the moment, it is just not possible that he's eating into our salary cap at the moment. He is not a registered NRL player with us this year, and we can't allocate any salary to him until he is. Anything we pay him in cash before the year in which he is registered will be counted in our salary cap in 2014 (unless we've got smarter accountants than me).

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
Barr, my pick would still be Zappia, but with Hadley prowling in the bushes that is not likely to happen. I wonder if we have given any thought to Michael Buettner, he is well respected, knows the player managers after his role in NYC, is running a business, speaks well and is a decent bloke that understands players

There you go, I dont think the club could do any better unless Todd Greenberg really fancies a challenge

Barr, my pick would still be Zappia, but with Hadley prowling in the bushes that is not likely to happen. I wonder if we have given any thought to Michael Buettner, he is well respected, knows the player managers after his role in NYC, is running a business, speaks well and is a decent bloke that understands players

There you go, I dont think the club could do any better unless Todd Greenberg really fancies a challenge

Fair call re Buetts. Dunno what to think about Zappia...happy for others to work that out.

What is Paul Dunn doing?

Eels Dude

Coach
Mate, I'll agree that it was (usually) good that PO would get on the radio etc. Going after targets and getting them signed (e.g. Tahu or Morts in terms of re-signings) without adequate thought is one of the reasons that we find ourselves in our present predicament. I agree that we need to be looking for a football club CEO (an Bentley doesn't appear comfortable in the role). But we should be careful to avoid appointing another self-promoting loose cannon. If waiting means we get the right guy, I can live with that. I understand that waiting doesn't guarantee that we'll get the right guy, or that we won't have a board change and then rip everything up and have to start again. Money on the fridge (it's Kingswood Country night).

I agree with both you an Delboy that we need this too. The fact that there is no-one sitting between Steve Kearney and Bob Bentley with football management experience is quite worrying. The thing is though, instead of waiting for the right person to come along the club should being proactive and have targeted someone from the get go. Osborne left the club around 9 months ago and the club still haven't got someone involved to fill the role he vacated. You can't just sit on your hands and wait for a certain someone to become available, you have to be proactive interview all appropriate candidates and choose the best one. They've had 8 or 9 months to do so.

Eels Dude

Coach
While we could well pay him some $$$ at the moment, it is just not possible that he's eating into our salary cap at the moment. He is not a registered NRL player with us this year, and we can't allocate any salary to him until he is. Anything we pay him in cash before the year in which he is registered will be counted in our salary cap in 2014 (unless we've got smarter accountants than me).

Yeah I don't know how it would work. The salary cap is far too complex for me to understand. But if we are funding his training and/or paying him a salary right now then there'd be no way the NRL would green light such a deal without it counting under the cap in some way. You could well be right though in the fact it might not count under the cap until 2014, but that leads me to think maybe the figures thrown up in regards to what his 2 year contract are worth could be right.

I agree with both you an Delboy that we need this too. The fact that there is no-one sitting between Steve Kearney and Bob Bentley with football management experience is quite worrying. The thing is though, instead of waiting for the right person to come along the club should being proactive and have targeted someone from the get go. Osborne left the club around 9 months ago and the club still haven't got someone involved to fill the role he vacated. You can't just sit on your hands and wait for a certain someone to become available, you have to be proactive interview all appropriate candidates and choose the best one. They've had 8 or 9 months to do so.

You're dead right. Unfortunately the board isn't super-functional at the moment (nor was it in the past to be fair). Not blaming individuals, because I appreciate that most of 'them what i disagree with' are acting in good faith. The whole two-tier leagues club/football club structure has no survival value in the long-run....we've just got to work out a sensible way to phase it out. Like it or not, we are playing in a very competitive environment, against clubs that have been able to design their management structure from the ground up with in the last 30 years. We are left with the legacy of a bygone era (and one which part of wishes was still here...but it aint).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Im sure SK will be there till about rnd 8 next year where if we are 1/2 from 8 than he will get the flick

This would be the most reasonable course of action. Sacking Kearney now won't save the board. They just have to hope the team comes good.

#StickToYourGunsmerkins

Tony Bongo

Bench

Even if Bob just did the one job of Football CEO the question still remains is he the right man for the job? So far I haven't seen much to say he is. IMO he was doing a good job as the Leagues Club CEO and that's all he should be doing.
There is no doubt in my mind that we need an experienced Football CEO if this club is to turn things around. I think it's more imperative than getting another coach or a marquee signing right now.

bartman

Immortal
I don't think the Board are in dire straits just yet PP? They have posted good results on the LC improvements/finances side of things.

But in terms of football, they need to act decisively before the FC AGM in December, as that membership is made up entirely of people concerned more with football operations than the leagues club. Elected directors will risk getting cleaned up at that election if they can't convince people beforehand that they are steering the football operations effectively - which to many members will mean not persisting with Kearney experiment past the end of this season.

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't think the Board are in dire straits just yet PP? They have posted good results on the LC improvements/finances side of things.

But in terms of football, they need to act decisively before the FC AGM in December, as that membership is made up entirely of people concerned more with football operations than the leagues club. Elected directors will risk getting cleaned up at that election if they can't convince people beforehand that they are steering the football operations effectively - which to many members will mean not persisting with Kearney experiment past the end of this season.

Especially when you consider 3 members of the football club board have to sit on the Leagues club board. If there's a complete whitewash then that already disrupts the Leagues club board elections early next year and will create more division.

bartman

Immortal
I think it's the other way round ED? 3 members of the LC board are appointed by the LC Board to sit on the FC Board - meaning only the first 4 FC spots are available to our direct election in December?

#couldbewrongthough

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
SK has turned us into the joke of the nrl.

We were a joke long before he came here. We were a joke when we made the grand final and finished 12th the year after. We were a joke when we lost a preliminary final 29-0. We were a joke when we were down 24-0 at halftime in a grand final. Don't get me started on the preliminary finals we lost after leading at halftime.

Until we win a premiership we will remain a joke, after all the times we came cose and shit ourselves.

The longer this weed is involved at our club, the longer it will take us to rebuild.

Not true. The club is looking stronger for depth and youth each year under Kearney, and our salary cap is less encumbered by unfavourable contracts.

Our squad for next year is looking good, with only one player in his 30s and 21 of them (so far) with at least a season of first grade behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.