What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
The amount of people disappointed in here about losing Egan and Katoa amazes me..

Katoa hasn't put in a good game since Wallace retired, he slowed down every attack he was a part of, regularly picked the ball up and was so slow to pass that the front rower overran the ball, and he had to go the other way, which almost always ended badly, and his defensive abilities weren't exactly good. The only thing about his game I rate is his kicking game, as a hooker who's played almost 50 first grade games across 4 seasons, you want more then that, and I used to be Katoas biggest fan, I was excited when Wallace retired, because of how good I thought Katoa would be.
And Egan, the potential is clear, he's shown glimpses of a good first grader, but after 30 games, that's not enough, he's not the young 19 year old anymore, he'll be 23 at the start of next season, and he's nothing more then a good level nsw cup player at this stage.

Neither of them were any better then May and Luai who were playing out of position at 9, and I'm sure Blore, and Burton will produce just as much as Katoa and Egan if required.

Yep both were given plenty of chances it’s hard for me to be worried about losing them. We only ever saw glimpses that either of them could be more than solid and the fact is they struggled to be even solid consistently this season.

franklin2323

Immortal
We did in 2019.

Kenny is seen as more of a lock than hooker aswell. We have one genuine hooker on our books for 2020.

If Api goes down all we have is a no frills tackling machine to fall back on. His role is well suited to being our bench utility having short stints at hooker and lock. But not to being our only backup hooker.

We did but 2019 wasn't a true year cause if May was fit he would of got used before Kenny.

Depends how the squad ends up but we still have May that can play some hooker after giving Kenny a rest. Or move Luai there with Burton 6.

Personally I still think we need a back up 7 if they can play hooker too then better off then having a spot for someone that can only play hooker

franklin2323

Immortal
Well I guess you have to consider a lot of factors including the balance of the top 30 and every coach will have a different philosophy.

In theory I agree with those who left cause of the positions they played BUT if the squad balance or quality isn't there then I will blow up like others are in January

franklin2323

Immortal
I think Blade said 2 months ago he had been given the tap.
I don't mind Whare going as long as he is replaced with quality. We are quality centre short next year already - if Whare goes 2 short. I don't like our chances of bringing in 2 centres though.

Depends if you see Whare as quality plenty on here don't see him in our top side... Which makes getting rid of him a good decision

OldPanther

Coach
We did in 2019.

Kenny is seen as more of a lock than hooker aswell. We have one genuine hooker on our books for 2020.

If Api goes down all we have is a no frills tackling machine to fall back on. His role is well suited to being our bench utility having short stints at hooker and lock. But not to being our only backup hooker.

Well at Tigers they had Elijah Taylor playing as their back up hooker a lot.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
if we can snare JWH, Manu or Mitchell (prefer Manu) than Ill have more confidence in next season and faith in the board and recruitment process. Getting rid of who we have is no issue and will never win anything if we kept them.

On another note: is DWZ injured or did he go from captain of NZ to missed a spot in less than a year?

betcats

Referee
if we can snare JWH, Manu or Mitchell (prefer Manu) than Ill have more confidence in next season and faith in the board and recruitment process. Getting rid of who we have is no issue and will never win anything if we kept them.

On another note: is DWZ injured or did he go from captain of NZ to missed a spot in less than a year?

Knee issue I think.

franklin2323

Immortal

Don't even need Mitchell imo. I think Crichton can be better just not for a couple of years. Sharks have a few I would take if we can get them cheap. So too Broncos we just need the 1st big signing to cause a domino effect

Don't even need Mitchell imo. I think Crichton can be better just not for a couple of years. Sharks have a few I would take if we can get them cheap. So too Broncos we just need the 1st big signing to cause a domino effect

You wut mate?

We have hardly any strike in our backline, how do we not need Mitchell?!

We need Mitchell or someone else that can find the try line frequently, many of our backs simply can’t.

OldPanther

Coach
Kenny is a more then adequate back up hooker.

Yeah if he is spending his time on the bench or reserve grade filling in he just needs to be able to pass and tackle which he can. Everyone knows I liked Egan but this isn't some huge disaster. Only thing is the number of departures Vs incoming but that should correct itself over the off-season.

franklin2323

Immortal
You wut mate?

We have hardly any strike in our backline, how do we not need Mitchell?!

We need Mitchell or someone else that can find the try line frequently, many of our backs simply can’t.

Mitchell on his day we need but I have doubts over his hunger. He recently said he doesn't see himself playing past 30. So would he just come here and just collect his money and not put in? That is why Manu is the one I would prefer

Mitchell on his day we need but I have doubts over his hunger. He recently said he doesn't see himself playing past 30. So would he just come here and just collect his money and not put in? That is why Manu is the one I would prefer

That’s a different thing than you first said, though.

I agree there’s some question marks over Mitchell, but we do need what he potentially brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts